My Last Long Distance Trip On A Train From Isaan To The Capital...

lostinisaan

I just came back from Bangkok to Isaan by train, where the locomotive broke down after around 150 km.

The ten hour ride became a horror trip and I finally sat 14 hours on the train, that should have taken ten hours.

.You won't easily find a replacement locomotive when you're out in the sticks.

Shit happens, okay. But the same buffalo dung happened on my last trip to Bangkok only a year ago, also on the way back, after only 3 km out of Hua Lumphung.

Same problem, the locomotive broke down and all the passengers had to wait many hours for replacement.

That was my last time using a train for a longer distance.

Just thinking about Chinese high speed trains is a very scary thought for me in a system where very old technology doesn't seem to get maintained.

Next time I'll take the plane, I swear.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but going third class only costs 70 Baht, right? 2 hours late is normal.

All i could get was a sleeper with fan.

But i'd assume that also the first class air conditioned wagons will be affected, when the locomotive breaks down.

Why did you even bother writing this 70 baht nonsense. Do you see it as a good joke, or are you the joke? Whatever.

Edited by lostinisaan

Yes 2 hours late on a long distance train is normal so you always have to factor that into the arrival time and trip duration. Being an extra 2 hours late on top of thats not great but it could have been worse. Did you have aircon? Third class through Isaan during the hot season is pretty tough travel especially if the train was broken down in the middle of nowhere during the day time.

But i'd assume that also the first class air conditioned wagons will be affected, when the locomotive breaks down.

Why did you even bother writing this 70 baht nonsense. Do you see it as a good joke, or are you the joke? Whatever.

Oh dear, we are in a bad mood, aren't we? First class, you freeze all night, out of the question for me. I take third class from Buriram, take cushions, secret beer and food with me and pay 67 Baht, That is to say if I don't drive myself. I don't care what happens to people in first class, apart from wondering why they pay the extra for being cold and suffering the same tardiness as we peasants do.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C&Fin=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E&IdTrain=234&NFee=%E0%B8%98%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B2&Ori=Buri%20Ram&Dep=Bangkok&lenguage=eng

You don't take this transport if you expect to arrive on time. (Edit) or if you expect Swiss style service, I lived there for 40 years and rarely experienced a late train.

Edited by cooked

Yes 2 hours late on a long distance train is normal so you always have to factor that into the arrival time and trip duration. Being an extra 2 hours late on top of thats not great but it could have been worse. Did you have aircon? Third class through Isaan during the hot season is pretty tough travel especially if the train was broken down in the middle of nowhere during the day time.

I took the night train, had a sleeper with fan. But that's not even the point. I do know that the trains are always late, but that's not just a problem in Thailand.

When you make two trips to the capital, departing from a city in Isaan, within one year and the locomotive had to be replaced on both trips, then you'll start to look for other ways to travel.

And I truly believe that air- conditioned wagons won't make the locomotive to a better maintained one.

Oh dear, we are in a bad mood, aren't we? First class, you freeze all night, out of the question for me. I take third class from Buriram, take cushions, secret beer and food with me and pay 67 Baht, That is to say if I don't drive myself. I don't care what happens to people in first class, apart from wondering why they pay the extra for being cold and suffering the same tardiness as we peasants do.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C&Fin=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E&IdTrain=234&NFee=%E0%B8%98%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B2&Ori=Buri%20Ram&Dep=Bangkok&lenguage=eng

You don't take this transport if you expect to arrive on time. (Edit) or if you expect Swiss style service, I lived there for 40 years and rarely experienced a late train.

I doubt that you'd be in a good mood, when you'd have to go back to work after a long break.

I prefer(ed) to take a sleeper, preferable the last, have my cold beer in a foam box and I can walk around and have a fag.

There's a time when I had to travel third class, even had my seat number, but the Isaanjeros travel with plenty of kids, tons of rice and I couldn't even sit, without having somebody's legs on mine.

I donated my ticket to a poor Thai who had to stand, as there're no more seats and took off to the train restaurant.

120 baht did the trick and the guy made a provisional bed for me, we had some funny chats, cold beer and I could finally sleep.

Maybe you take a look at a map. Buri Ram is 165 km closer to the capital. Which is already three hours less. Same same,but different?

P.S.

​ And most people in Germany make jokes about Scot's being so cheap. gigglem.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

4 years in a row United Airlines were late by at least 90 minutes leaving to come over here. The last time causing a missed connection and arriving in BKK 18 hours late. That is consistent bad service.

I doubt that you'd be in a good mood, when you'd have to go back to work after a long break.

I prefer(ed) to take a sleeper, preferable the last, have my cold beer in a foam box and I can walk around and have a fag.

There's a time when I had to travel third class, even had my seat number, but the Isaanjeros travel with plenty of kids, tons of rice and I couldn't even sit, without having somebody's legs on mine.

I donated my ticket to a poor Thai who had to stand, as there're no more seats and took off to the train restaurant.

120 baht did the trick and the guy made a provisional bed for me, we had some funny chats, cold beer and I could finally sleep.

Maybe you take a look at a map. Buri Ram is 165 km closer to the capital. Which is already three hours less. Same same,but different?

P.S.

​ And most people in Germany make jokes about Scot's being so cheap. gigglem.gif

Yeah well, if you care to take a look at your post AND your profile you will see that you didn't bother to mention where you were travelling from. Even if it was double 67 Baht I don't think it's expensive. I take NCA if I want to get there on time. I can sleep any where, that's true.

Sorry. Wrong key.

What I was going to say was that both the first class and second class aircon cars do have their own diesel-electric generator, so you can still have some air-con comfort while waiting for a replacement locomotive. And maybe a cold beer. A beer and a good book. A great way to spend time while standing stationary on the track.

I'll happily do that instead of risking my life riding a bus where the driver is on, i don't know what, to stay awake.

BTW. I have myself been both a bus driver and, for quite a longer time, a train driver, so I know what sort of transport I would choose. Nothing does beat a good train ride.

Edited by jimmysjo

The Trains are still much cheaper than other options by far.And so much safer than using the roads with all the crashes on the roads every day.

Taking the train is for people like myself who are never in a rush and wish to enjoy the journey,taking in all the fabulous scenery,the window down and chatting with the world and there wife on the way......

Fabulous!

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif ( reporting absolutely live.... )

If you take first class it gets there on time though doesn't it?

But seriously, I would take 2nd class and a bottom bunk. Top bunk is too near the aircon unit and you freeze you jewels off. First class is okay if you have the right number of travellers with you to fill the cabin, otherwise it's pot luck what you get dealt. In that sense 2nd is better than 1st. Be ready to smile for the camera when all the paranoid people around you are collecting images in case they think you're going to steal from them.

Some of our friends were coming to see us here at NongKhai, they took the overnight train from Bangkok and the engine developed problems somewhere near the middle of the trip. The train crew unhooked the last half of the train cars, in which our friends were riding, and left it on the tracks while they continued on the journey. After a few hours another engine, or maybe the same one repaired, came and hooked up the last half of the cars and pulled them the rest of the way.

First class is good and if travelling alone book both bunks. From Surin near Buriram is only 1400 baht for full room for one. Maybe find a companion on the way to let enjoy comfort and a chat/drink. Who knows their luck on a full train lol

On my last 10 trips on the Udon - Bangkok line I was delayed by more than 2 hours once, and once or twice by about an hour and all the others were on time. But as my wife and I had sleepers it didn't matter very much we just had a long lie in. It also helps to have a GPS app on my iPad so I know where we are and so have a good idea of the real arrival time.

We will continue to use the train.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Last time I was on a train

sleeper to BKK to Nong Khai

we were hit up the arse by northern express

6 weeks later still trying to get an answer about my damaged luggage

and worse next month, I have to either fly down to BBK and stay over night in hotel

or take the train again

what's the chances of lightning striking twice?

Sorry. Wrong key.

What I was going to say was that both the first class and second class aircon cars do have their own diesel-electric generator, so you can still have some air-con comfort while waiting for a replacement locomotive. And maybe a cold beer. A beer and a good book. A great way to spend time while standing stationary on the track.

I'll happily do that instead of risking my life riding a bus where the driver is on, i don't know what, to stay awake.

BTW. I have myself been both a bus driver and, for quite a longer time, a train driver, so I know what sort of transport I would choose. Nothing does beat a good train ride.

How is everyone so anxious for a beer, is the drinking problem so bad that one cannot do without beer for a few hours.

Anyway, I thought alcohol is not allowed on trains.

About three years ago, I tried to board the sleeper which was booked and paid for. The door was locked, so

I smashed the window in with my fist and opened from the inside just as the train was moving off, the window

wasn't glass, it was perspex. As I was looking for my bunk bed, two railway guys came along and fixed it.

Al aircon-wagons have there own dieselengine for the airco and (not sure) the electric.

About three years ago, I tried to board the sleeper which was booked and paid for. The door was locked, so

I smashed the window in with my fist and opened from the inside just as the train was moving off, the window

wasn't glass, it was perspex. As I was looking for my bunk bed, two railway guys came along and fixed it.

Why didn't you just ask for a key?

Sorry. Wrong key.

How is everyone so anxious for a beer, is the drinking problem so bad that one cannot do without beer for a few hours.

One must stay hydrated Possum.

You can easily get 10 cans in your bag and a thermos flask of ice. Passes the time and helps you sleep. The personnel of trains and buses really don't care as long as you don't get blatant about it.

Comments about buses: NCA rarely has accidents, they are a tad dearer than Somchai's Royal Bus Service. Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

I have been to bkk by train from Buriram and back a few times now, the sleeper is best for me, only because sitting down too long makes my ankles swell up. I'd love to fly, 55 minutes from Buriram to bkk, only thing is, I can't get the trouble and strife on the plane.

Unlike you, I don't freeze at 21 degrees. so I take first class. When the train breaks down, I hire a car to take me the rest of the way instead of waiting with the peasants. I consider my time valuable.

You can easily get 10 cans in your bag and a thermos flask of ice. Passes the time and helps you sleep. The personnel of trains and buses really don't care as long as you don't get blatant about it.

Comments about buses: NCA rarely has accidents, they are a tad dearer than Somchai's Royal Bus Service. Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

Nowadays I only take the train (third class) when we are transporting animals or I don't feel like driving.

​ Please let us know where you get your medical THC from. Must be pretty strong, roughly speaking.

Or are you the guy who's always traveling with his giraffe? Then it's okay. gigglem.gif

Sorry. Wrong key.

If an Army guy would tell you that you can't have sex with your own wife, would you believe him? coffee1.gif

Sorry jimmysjo. I must have overlook your post and so repait what you write sabout the wagon dieselengine.

Yes, alcohol is forbidden on the train and in railwaystation since more then a year. You can take the risc to take alcohol with you, trainpersonal will no bother you but on the most longdistance trains they have police and if thgey are in a bad mood ????. In first class it will not be a problem.

In first class if the airco is to cold (mostly) you can close the blowers. I take mostly (Trang- Bkk) 2 cl sleepers fan (lower bed) or 2 class seat fan, in both you can open the windows and at night you put the screen up.

Only if I travel with my partner we take 1 class