SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing to gripe about.However,I would like the phone number of the gentleman who managed to build a large house for one million bht.I would surely like to talk to the builder.As you may have guessed I am having problems finding a reasonable building contractor.

Me too but only for 5 years!! Youll end up doing it yourself or not doing it at all like me

I have nothing to gripe about.However,I would like the phone number of the gentleman who managed to build a large house for one million bht.I would surely like to talk to the builder.As you may have guessed I am having problems finding a reasonable building contractor.

You cant as you know put phone no: on TV.

Saying that I must be the one you are referring to. Where did I say that I built a house for 1mil: I said I bought/obtained a house for 1 mil:

Please allow me to update my post had lived in Pattaya for well over 8 years.

Moved to mid Thailand before I become another balcony statistic.

Rented a 5/6 double bedroom bungalow for 4th a month. Wanted to rent for another year but lady said she wanted to sell, found out the price via the wife was 1 mil: I couldn't pay the deposit quick enough.

It did need a little work updating the electric 'I did that' and new ceilings + some painting total cost of both was under 40th.

Since then haven't looked back.

Could I have found anything like it for the monies in Pattaya dream on. More like 15+ mil: if I was lucky.

Edited by fredob43

Ft he biggest drawbacks are the unseen ones such as the complete absence of the rule of law and a horribly corrupt set of lawyers who are out of control. The absence of an effective court system and weak laws. Most people may be able to avoid this but if you are targeted then you will see how truly racist the system is.

I find the main drawback is every uneducated Thai you meet thinks as a farang you are stupid, indeed so does the monied class, also every Farang has a money tree.

Really nice genuine Thai people who offer friendship expecting nothing in return ( ie money ) are few and far between. That's my seven years experience.

They mostly seem to be scrawny and ugly here. But clearly that does it for a lot of guys.

If you're talking about the ones many farangs tend to hook up with, fine but no way are most Thai women scrawny and ugly. No way

Really nice genuine Thai people who offer friendship expecting nothing in return ( ie money ) are few and far between. That's my seven years experience.

Strange, then, that my 7 years experience has left me with a completely different impression. Where have you been hanging out?

Rainy season. The good news is it coincides with the best season in England.

i hate the Thai climate but prefer the rainy season to any other season here.

♫ listen to the rhytm of the falling rain... ♫

One can't find a reasonably priced house unless it in bum area

Oh yes you can you just have to be in the know.

If anyone would like to Google, The town that tourism forgot. The post by the globetrotter girls. It'll give you some insight on where I live.

Bit outdated now more updated hotels and the likes, but 95% of their post is still the same.

Whatever you will get the general drift.

It's Thailand and not just a place in Thailand.

one post questioning criminal undertaking removed

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and
acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on
this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Discourteous and rude service at the Immigration office in Phuket. Long waiting time and uncomfortable premises. This can be fixed easily if the high ups only knew abut it. But it doesn't look like they know. There is one officer who is very abrupt and rude. Why is Immigration part of the police. It should be separated like in many other countries and provided with attractive uniforms and courtesy training. Places like Phuket owe their prosperity largely to tourists and long term residents and yet the Immigration office with which they have to deal with is so impolite to them. It's very sad. The other deterrent is that the retirees are not allowed to do anything, even social work. Many of them have valuable experience which they can share with Phuket people.

Discourteous and rude service at the Immigration office in Phuket. Long waiting time and uncomfortable premises. This can be fixed easily if the high ups only knew abut it. But it doesn't look like they know. There is one officer who is very abrupt and rude. Why is Immigration part of the police. It should be separated like in many other countries and provided with attractive uniforms and courtesy training. Places like Phuket owe their prosperity largely to tourists and long term residents and yet the Immigration office with which they have to deal with is so impolite to them. It's very sad. The other deterrent is that the retirees are not allowed to do anything, even social work. Many of them have valuable experience which they can share with Phuket people.

The other deterrent is that the retirees are not allowed to do anything, even social work. Many of them have valuable experience which they can share with Phuket people.

Generally speaking, Thais don't want to learn anything from outsiders. To demonstrate that you have something to offer, only takes away Face.

The other deterrent is that the retirees are not allowed to do anything, even social work. Many of them have valuable experience which they can share with Phuket people.

Generally speaking, Thais don't want to learn anything from outsiders. To demonstrate that you have something to offer, only takes away Face.

There are thousands of non Thais teaching English and working in Thai industry and conducting military exercises and designing high speed rail systems. Generally speaking you are very wrong. Many well to do Thais go to school in the UK and USA because the families know the schools are better and on and on...Heck look at the handbags do the ladies want ones made in Thailand?

It's not easy being this intellectually stimulating every post but I'm trying.biggrin.png

Edited by lostoday

my biggest issue here is the downright inconsistency and absurdity in the rules regarding the various visas, particularly the ones governing long stay. My point is if you are going to issue a retirement visa , then do so and have some clear rules for clarification. What is in place is pathetic. it is not a retirement visa. it is only a scam to drain funds from retirees. A retirement visa should have meaning. Retirees should be allowed the ease and comfort to settle and not as second class citizens. We are paying handsomely for this privilege and our contribution to the economy should be recognized. If you are going to issue a retirement visa, then do it and not fake it.

Regards the Visa if you have the right amount of monies and requirements all is easy.

A trip once a year to the office how simple can that be.

If you're not married or not retirement age it's not so easy.

If you are not married or retirement age its still easy.

Jump on a plane every 60-90 days and get a visa somewhere.

That is what I've done for the past 7 years.

There is no limit to how long you can keep coming in and out as a tourist, so long as you can show sufficient income to be a tourist (although I have never been asked what I'm doing or asked for proof of income - so far!)

Retirement should be hassle free. Should not have to engage in such things as not knowing what will happen next with a visa. one should make a one time arrangement for a retirement visa. you either qualify or you don't and after that , you can become a permanent resident after a certain span of time