Thaksin Heads Off Overseas For Summit Meetings

Jai Dee

Caretaker PM's oversea trips start Saturday

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will spend this month travelling to two continents for two summit meetings.

Thaksin would start his oversea trip on Saturday with an official stopover at in Central Asian country of Tajikistan en route to Finland.

The visit to Tajikistan is to reciprocate a visit to Thailand by Tajik President Emomal Rahmonov in August last year.

Foreign Ministry's spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said the Thaksin's trip to Tajikistan aims at boosting bilateral relations and is in keeping with Thailand's policy of strengthening ties with Central Asia," he said.

The caretaker PM will on Sunday travel to Helsinki, Finland where he will attend a summit of Asia-Europe Meeting (Asem). The meeting would focus on trade, concerns over human rights abuses in Burma, joint efforts to tackle terrorism, global warming and energy issues.

Thaksin will return to Bangkok on next Tuesday. Three days afterwards, he would travel to Cuba to attend the Non-Aligned Movement (Nam) summit.

Thailand joined the 116-member grouping in 1993. The theme of this year summit is "Toward a More Dynamic and Cohesive Nam". Topics to be discussed included UN reforms, terrorism and Middle East conflicts.

The caretaker PM is scheduled to have bilateral meetings with Cuba, Congo, Peru, Ghana, Qartar and Egypt.

Thaksin and his entourage will travel north to New York to attend the 61 st UN General Assembly scheduled for September 17-21.

He would join other leaders to review progress on High-level Plenary Meeting- HLPM which this year would require the leaders to give speech under title, "Implementing a Global Partnership for Development.

He would return to Bangkok on September 22.

Source: The Nation - 8 September 2006

Thai Prime Minister to visit Tajikistan

Thailand's caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will make an official visit to Tajikistan Saturday to strengthen the bilateral relations between the two countries, according to a statement issued by the Thai Foreign Ministry's Department of Information.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

He seems to know what countries have high levels of corruption. I wonder if it is a brain storming meeting.

Perhaps we will be lucky and someone else will be in charge when he comes back. Plus your free next week aren’t you?

And what about the "plan C" of the so-called military plotters (a coup) ?

That could be a perfect time.

Or maybe the "plan B". A hit of RPG on his car before leaving (this one would be more "graphic").

Or it might be the new "plan V" (void).

They should really arrest the "mastermind" as quick as possible.

The caretaker PM will on Sunday travel to Helsinki, Finland

Finland, eh?? Needs to revise his Plan a little???? :o

That thought crossed my mind too SJ. Maybe he's going to buy Nokia? And then they're going to discuss Human Rights abuses in Burma among other things. That should please his buddies in the junta back in their jungle hideaway.

As for all the other high profile countries .............well really! Tajikistan, Cuba, Congo, Peru, Ghana, Qatar & Egypt. Where's Zimbabwe on that list ? After all why not drop in for tea and biscuits with comrade Bob Ebagum. Fidel will probably present him with a large case of the best cigars.

Obviously he has absolutely no credibility with any of the real global leaders. he's just an embarrassment to most of them.

Let's hope by the time he gets back things may have taken a 180 degree change.

Ta ta Thaksin. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

I'm surprised he is confident enough to leave the country on a relatively long trip.

I guess his has faith in his deputies to keep things in order.

The cat is away so the deputies can :o

Bon voyage - don't hurry back ! :D

Stop to count the pieces-of-gold in Switzerland, or the B.V.I., en-route.

And when discussing Burma, remember you're on the side of the military dictatorship, not the one which gets most votes in democratic-elections. This may be confusing - since you use the opposite arguement at-home. Just remember where the money lies. :D

The caretaker PM will on Sunday travel to Helsinki, Finland

Finland, eh?? Needs to revise his Plan a little???? :o

I remember reading a story in the BKK Post that the HIV rate in Finland was up 50% and it was directly related to Finnish male sex tourists to Thailand....I do not think Toxin will get a real warm welcome..

Thaksin and his entourage will travel north to New York to attend the 61 st UN General Assembly scheduled for September 17-21.

He would join other leaders to review progress on High-level Plenary Meeting- HLPM which this year would require the leaders to give speech under title, "Implementing a Global Partnership for Development.

He would return to Bangkok on September 22.

Source: The Nation - 8 September 2006

Great!

I can't wait to hear his speech.

:o

I remember reading a story in the BKK Post that the HIV rate in Finland was up 50% and it was directly related to Finnish male sex tourists to Thailand....I do not think Toxin will get a real warm welcome..

So it went up from 0.05% to 0.1%?