Manual vs automatic

I'm coming to Thailand for a month with 2 children and am thinking about hiring a car. I've only ever driven a manual car but have found most rental companies have automatics. I'm already a bit nervous about driving on thai roads and am wondering whether the transition to an automatic would be easy enough or should I try and find a manual car? I've previously lived in Thailand so do know what the roads are like, never drove before though. This time as I'll have a toddler I think it might be more convenient.

Sent from my C5303 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New cars are changing, but normally Manual cars were the basic model = No safety features at all..... would you want to drive a car with no airbags or ABS and then would you want to carry a toddler in such a car ?

Some new manual makes do have Airbags, but with a Hire car can you be sure your getting a car fitted with these?... Automatic is easy, just remember to tuck your left foot under your right leg, you do not need it at all... auto is easier with the traffic here, it is just your left foot, jabbing it on the 'clutch' = emergency stop in a automatic = someone ramming you up the rear

^ Yes, wouldn't phase me one bit, I'm a confident driver.. But as to the OP, whatever you're comfortable with is best to hire, are you going to be doing a lot of city driving or country? I wouldn't care either way but some less confident drivers may find driving an auto to be easier and less bother, especially in city traffic.

New cars are changing, but normally Manual cars were the basic model = No safety features at all..... would you want to drive a car with no airbags or ABS and then would you want to carry a toddler in such a car ?

Right - renting a manual is practically guaranteed to get you the lowest spec model w/out any safety features. Seeing as safety is the OP's main concern, it looks like they'll need to 'learn' how to drive with just two pedals ;)

Hire an auto for a day in your own country ... after a short while you will 'hopefully' wonder why you drive a manual!

No don't because you'll never get any REAL sense of the package there that is offered in Thailand in performance so it's apples and oranges and even still it's doubtful, if one can handle a manual well, mostly he'll wonder why anyone drives an auto on a small bore engine'd car that can't get out of it's own way on those occasions when you need it to in the first place? No need for unwarranted safety equipment when you have the ability to avoid being someone else's bumper and not their mistake. Again OP it comes down mostly to your comfort zone and the location of where you're going to do the most driving, city or country.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Automatic. No question.

Manoeuvring in dense traffic and jams with a manual: no thanks.

(I have been driving manual for about 15 years but eversince automatic only)

Automatic is easy, just remember to tuck your left foot under your right leg, you do not need it at all... auto is easier with the traffic here, it is just your left foot, jabbing it on the 'clutch' = emergency stop in a automatic = someone ramming you up the rear

So true, thats the beginners guide!

I have trained my left leg for the brake.

But don't try it as a beginner on automatic (stomping on both pedals blink.png , hitting the brake like an elephant biggrin.png )

Edited by KhunBENQ

Right - renting a manual is practically guaranteed to get you the lowest spec model w/out any safety features. Seeing as safety is the OP's main concern, it looks like they'll need to 'learn' how to drive with just two pedals wink.png

Ho hum coffee1.gif .. My missus and I had 2 babies in Thailand and never owned a nasty auto, the babies or the toddler isn't going to benefit from any of those "safety features" you or anyone else here is speaking of in a higher spec rental except something like a BMW limo or similar with 8 or so airbags front and rear and backing cameras/sensors etc. so why pay the extra money for that purpose? In any case he's just going to have to be an aware, alert and defensive driver and buy a good car seat and USE it! Hopefully the toddler is no stranger to one already? rolleyes.gif Anyway no more debate about it, you can follow knee jerk over-reactions or not, I've given my point of view, I'm out..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Right - renting a manual is practically guaranteed to get you the lowest spec model w/out any safety features. Seeing as safety is the OP's main concern, it looks like they'll need to 'learn' how to drive with just two pedals wink.png

Ho hum coffee1.gif .. My missus and I had 2 babies in Thailand and never owned a nasty auto, the babies or the toddler isn't going to benefit from any of those "safety features" you or anyone else here is speaking of in a higher spec rental except something like a BMW limo or similar with 8 or so airbags front and rear and backing cameras/sensors etc. so why pay the extra money for that purpose? In any case he's just going to have to be an aware, alert and defensive driver and buy a good car seat and USE it! Hopefully the toddler is no stranger to one already? rolleyes.gif Anyway no more debate about it, you can follow knee jerk over-reactions or not, I've given my point of view, I'm out..

Nothing to do with driver skill. The OP will want airbags when some dick in a pickup rams into the front of him. Better to have the safety features. Besides, some manual gear cars like the new jazz have abs/twin airbags and 4 wheel disc brakes. Modern autos are not much slower than manuals these days.

OP, get an auto, especially if you will mostly he in Bangkok or built up areas. Driving a manual around town....all those traffic jams. No thanks.

Most cars here are automatic, it maybe a case anyway that it's hard to find manual hire cars.

As other posters have said if they do have a manual it will be because it is the lowest cheapest spec they could buy and most likely safety features are included in that.

Before a moved here I always said automatics are boring , but with constant traffic jams, long endless wide roads and (where I am) very few corners there is little point in a manual. The only gear changing you will do round here is when someone pulls infront of you or traffic jams/queues. Plus automatics make left foot braking so easy. Again good when someone pulls across you, the ever erratic unpredictable Thai drivers and the traffic jams.

Arthur, long endless wide roads and very few corners are the very reason you dont need an Auto surely.?.burp.gif .How many U Ad.biggrin.png With an oiler truck with lo down power,you dont change as much as say a Vios or similar. I like both .

Thanks for the replies, lots of good information. I'll be driving in a mix of city and country, just not Bangkok! Any other tips for driving an automatic? Also, I remember noticing that the wipers and indicators were switched around, is that usual?

Arthur, long endless wide roads and very few corners are the very reason you dont need an Auto surely.?.burp.gif .How many U Ad.biggrin.png With an oiler truck with lo down power,you dont change as much as say a Vios or similar. I like both .

None since Saturday. sad.png

Sussex, Surrey and Kent, well all UK B-roads and a manual = xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS6

Chonburi and Bangkok endless straight roads full of awful drivers = saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hG May as well get an auto.

Thanks for the replies, lots of good information. I'll be driving in a mix of city and country, just not Bangkok! Any other tips for driving an automatic? Also, I remember noticing that the wipers and indicators were switched around, is that usual?

No....that just depends on the vehicle itself and the country it is marketed in.

Find find driving an auto slightly frustrating as one finds oneself being very heavy on the breaking as it is not particularly good for gearing down before bends/obstacles etc.

Autos have come a long way from their inception and many have pseudo paddle or manual modes which makes them much more responsive to drive.

the only problem I get is sometimes jamming the break on whilst standing at traffic lights because I want to engage gear and think it is a clutch peddle.

I used to own only manual cars in my home country , but after a visit to the US where almost all cars are automatic , I fell in love with it and never looked back. Here in Thailand you need to focus on the bad traffic so no time to think about gear shifts. Driving automatic is as easy as it gets, you will be comfortable with it in no time.

I used to own only manual cars in my home country , but after a visit to the US where almost all cars are automatic , I fell in love with it and never looked back. Here in Thailand you need to focus on the bad traffic so no time to think about gear shifts. Driving automatic is as easy as it gets, you will be comfortable with it in no time.

As a previous poster half joked that if you are used to driving a manual then you don't actually think about the gear shifts, you just do it. I am an avowed manual driver but in the OPs situation I would pick the best feature/price vehicle he can get and go with it whether it be manual or auto.

Think I'll opt for the automatic. Wouldn't be such a worry if it wasn't for the fact I'll have my 2 kids by myself. Sounds like it'll be pretty easy to get used to. Thanks for the advice

I can drive both manual and automatic but stick with autos especially in Thailand. I recommend you use your right foot for both accelerator and brake - keep your left foot for a clutch pedal for manuals - no confusion about changing cars back and forth. Modern cars will have 6 speed auto transmissions which will accelerate fast and most will have a easy manual selection to shift down (and up) good for downhills to keep the speed under control. Remember to treat ALL of the other drivers, bike riders and drivers/riders of unlit very slow agricultural vehicles like high risk threats and good motoring!

Think I'll opt for the automatic. Wouldn't be such a worry if it wasn't for the fact I'll have my 2 kids by myself. Sounds like it'll be pretty easy to get used to. Thanks for the advice

I would go for the automatic. One less thing to worry about (especially in Bangkok), and it will take about two blocks to get used to.

As you might be driving up country you could also consider hiring a pick up ....like a Vigo ir something. They come with manual gear , run on diesel so cheaper fuel , are built stronger than saloons so that in a crash you get more protection , are higher of the ground so a better view and come with a lot of mod cons

Keep in mind that you may, once, maybe twice forget when pulling away from a stop you will try to push the clutch ! (Brake) and throw everyone into their seatbelts. Good bet is to try at first keep your left leg tucked back.

As you might be driving up country you could also consider hiring a pick up ....like a Vigo ir something. They come with manual gear , run on diesel so cheaper fuel , are built stronger than saloons so that in a crash you get more protection , are higher of the ground so a better view and come with a lot of mod cons

firstly pickups are available in auto and manual and your theories on "protection" are somewhat wide of the mark.

Hi girluk77

You seem to have plenty of answers about manual vs auto. From your profile I guess you're from the UK and will be hiring right-hand drive cars in Thailand (same as the UK). If you're from a left-hand drive country however, it can be very confusing driving a manual where the controls are on the other side - I hired a left-hand drive manual in Switzerland once (I'm from the UK) and it was difficult getting used to operating the gears/handbrake with the opposite hand.
None of the other posters seemed to have mentioned that regardless of vehicle type, driving in Thailand is not for the faint hearted (especially if you've never done it before) - you'll find you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy! There are many threads on the subject on TV e.g. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813333-thailands-roads-why-are-they-so-dangerous/
There are plenty on Thai Visa that say "it's not so bad" however I am firmly in the "it's crazy out there" camp having driven over here for quite a few years. If you have kids in the car, take extra care and drive very defensively wherever possible - it's like Mad Max on the roads (especially the open roads).
If you can stretch to hiring drivers (which is normally fairly easy and costs about 1,000 to 2,000 baht per day), taking buses, planes etc. then it's worth considering (although using buses is not risk free in Thailand either - see for example http://news.thaivisa.com/thaivisa-news/17-chinese-tourists-injured-in-bus-crash/60740/ )
BTW - you'll also need a current international driving licence in case you get stopped at a roadside police check (which are fairly frequent).
I don't want to put you off - Thailand is a lovely country to go touring in, lots of great things to see, but worth considering the safety angle too especially with children.

I find it hard to understand why someone would hire a driver.....why compound the dangers of the Thai roads by actually paying for someone who is almost certainly less competent than oneself?

If it were me, and the choice was getting onto Thai roads with zero experience or hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch which would allow me to take in the scenery while also tending to my young child, I know which I'd plump for.

I just rented a car last week for a week. Being from America, where 95% of the cars are automatic, and shifting is only for the poor, I was happy to find a car to rent that had an automatic transmission. I drove 1500 kilometers, and the car was fine, except it would take 15 seconds to go from 0 - 80 kpm. After that, very good. .I had no problems.

I just rented a car last week for a week. Being from America, where 95% of the cars are automatic, and shifting is only for the poor, I was happy to find a car to rent that had an automatic transmission. I drove 1500 kilometers, and the car was fine, except it would take 15 seconds to go from 0 - 80 kpm. After that, very good. .I had no problems.

I'm not sure but are any sedans currently made in Thailand are available as MT?

I find it hard to understand why someone would hire a driver.....why compound the dangers of the Thai roads by actually paying for someone who is almost certainly less competent than oneself?

If it were me, and the choice was getting onto Thai roads with zero experience or hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch which would allow me to take in the scenery while also tending to my young child, I know which I'd plump for.

"hiring a professional driver affiliated with a hotel or somesuch"- really??? you have much greater confidence than I do in Thai training and assessing standards.

Edited by cumgranosalum