Unlicenced Phuket tuk tuk operators finally get their way

webfact

Unlicenced Phuket tuk tuk operators finally get their way

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1431402073_1-org.jpg

After months of trying the drivers finally got what they wanted.

PHUKET: -- Eighty-seven unlicenced tuk tuk operators from the Tuk Tuk Service Club finally got their way yesterday (May 11) when they were told that they will be given licences and a brand new route where they can operate.

The decision came after the operators gathered at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (May 11) to ask Phuket governor for a chance to obtain licences and have an area in which they can operate.

The drivers decided to meet with the governor after being fined for operating without licences.

Daroon Suksai, President of the Public Transport Cooperative Club said to governor Nisit Jansomwong, “We have come today to beg for you to help us.”

Gov Nisit told Mr Daroon, “If I help you I want to make sure that you won't break the rules. You must give me your word.”

Mr Daroon replied, “I give you my word that we won't break the rules. We just want officials to help the people [drivers].”

Teerayut Prasertpol, Chief the Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) told the gathering that he was willing to set up a new tuk tuk service in Phuket Town.

“We can do a tuk tuk service but this will be resticted to Phuket Town only,” he said.

Gov Nisit added, “Honestly, Phuket Town people still want to have public transport, and this will be a big change for them.

“I will tell the Phuket Transport Office to set fair prices, rules, and times for which the tuk tuks can operate.”

Mr Teerayut went on to say that it will take about three months to set up the new service but he will try his hardest to speed up the process.

“A trial for the new tuk tuk service in Phuket Town will start in July,” he said.

However, he also said that the service will be restricted to the 87 tuk tuks on the list, and that they will only be able to operate around Phuket Town and not outside of that area.

Gov Nisit concluded that Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosuttirak and a committee will set the rules and prices and approve all paperwork so that the tuk tuk service can start in July.

However, he also stated that all tuk tuks must be either yellow or red and that tourists must be taken care of. If a driver has an argument with a tourist, he must inform the police.

“If any rules are broken the drivers licence will be cancelled immediately,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/unlicenced-phuket-tuk-tuk-operators-finally-get-their-way-52276.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-12

Gov Nisit told Mr Daroon, If I help you I want to make sure that you won't break the rules. You must give me your word.

Mr Daroon replied, I give you my word that we won't break the rules. We just want officials to help the people [drivers].

What a joke as no rules have been set ...

'I will tell the Phuket Transport Office to set fair prices, rules, and times for which the tuk tuks can operate.'

The only time taxi and tuk tuk drivers follow the rules is when it suits them. Guaranteed these drivers will not stick to Phuket Town, but instead come up with various stories and excuses as to why they are operating elsewhere.

If the governor is to believe these people, why not tell them the first time they are caught not following the law, they will forfeit their vehicles with no recourse. That's going to be the only way these drivers will adhere to what they've agreed upon.

Phuket appears to be getting a lot of publicity these days now its the tuk tuk drivers apparently sick and tired of being fined for operating without licenses have now applied for licenses but have been told they can only operate in the centre of Phuket I think there will be more publicity forth coming .

surely it would be better for the customer if the tuk tuks were allowed to operate all round the island. more tuk tuks on the roads means more competition between the drivers, more choice for the customer, and a lowering of prices....... or do the laws of economics not apply in phuket somehow

surely it would be better for the customer if the tuk tuks were allowed to operate all round the island. more tuk tuks on the roads means more competition between the drivers, more choice for the customer, and a lowering of prices....... or do the laws of economics not apply in phuket somehow

They don't seem to apply in Pattaya in a number of cases so why should Phuket be any different smile.png

Well that gives it time for it to just blow over and go back to normal, they bullied their way in, and they will carry on, no we don't want you illegals, you should have thought about that when you were ripping of the legal ones, if you want anything in Thailand just protest and threaten in numbers and you will get it, Hence the fights in numbers, it is bred in them

Mr Daroon replied, “I give you my word that we won't break the rules. cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

And if we do and you take our licenses of us, we will just go back to being illegal, or we will come back here and protest again, easy

scammers now got licenses permitting them to do what they do. so what?

this mob just managed to blackmail authorities to get what they want. shame on administration.

look on their faces! they just can't hide there evilness...

people with such faces should be banned from working in public sector for life. pure parasites

Edited by Jeffreyake

scammers now got licenses permitting them to do what they do. so what?

this mob just managed to blackmail authorities to get what they want. shame on administration.

look on their faces! they just can't hide there evilness...

people with such faces should be banned from working in public sector for life. pure parasites

You're right. Look at their body language and their scowls. They are certainly not the always smiling poster people that TAT puts forward.

Phuket, the island of self entitlement for transport drivers, still being allowed to head down the path of its own destruction.

Well said .... and so true.

When the military took ovr the country, and started on the beach encroachment here, and the sunbeds etc, they should have moved onto the transport industry - they didn't.

They didn't because there would have been thousands, like these guys in the OP, protesting, boardering on rioting.

The last chance for Phuket to stop the stranglehold over this essential service was the military, and even they are not up to the task.

So, sadly, with a rapidly shrinking western tourist market, largely due to the ridiculous cost of transport here, and the Russian ruble dead in the water, that leaves Chinese package holiday makers being the only tourists coming here in numbers, and they will not keep many businesses afloat.

As businesses go broke, watch the prices rises, causing more businesses to go broke - and so it will continue.

All because they continually bow down to those setting an out of line market price for the essential service, known as transport, on Phuket.

Not to mention, the traffic, accidents, death, injury, parking and noise/air pollution this situation causes.

In my opinion, it has been, and contines to be, the single most important issue repelling western tourists from coming here, and there appears to be no end in sight to this problem.

Edited by NamKangMan

Why is it, that there are no such problems in Huahin?

They have fixed prices, that seem reasonable.

interesting

But I am sure these "fixed prices" are still 5 times as much as a air-conditioned metered Cab in Bangkok. correct me if I am wrong

In Pattaya we pay 10 baht for a "baht bus" . I might consider visiting Phuket town again if they can offer me cheap transportation, under 50 baht.

where a group of thugs go insisted that their illegal activity becomes legal

but but ... do any of them, legal or not, pay any taxes?

Just a point of information, income tax doesn't kick in until 150,000 baht per year, and that's 150K net, after personal and family deductions. They'd have to be making about 15-20K baht per month, or they're exempt.

So I doubt they'd be required to pay any taxes. Unless you count their contribution to the mafia that allows them to operate as "taxes". I'm sure they pay plenty of those.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Still, doesn't negate the rest of your point...