Billboards , Did you act on seeing one ?

The Big Mango

From this site, http://www.outdooradvertisingdc.com/services/billboard-advertising/measuring-billboards-effectiveness

"Despite the fact that authorities on the subject vouch for billboard marketing as an effective if not a must-have, invaluable advertising medium, most ordinary consumers don’t buy it. They tend to regard mediums such as newspaper ads and direct mailers as more effective, because their effectiveness is much easier to measure and quantify. They also regard the messages on outdoor billboards as too short to be persuasive. People who think like that are simply missing the point."

"Billboards aren’t there to persuade you to do anything, not overtly anyway. On the average, research shows that most people don’t even look at billboards for more than 4 seconds, those that do look for more than that, don’t look much longer. Outdoor billboards are about building brands, and strengthening images."

Yes I did before they took them down.

Whenever I saw a billboard advertising a beer, always got thirsty and was looking for a bar to quench my thirst.

Took them down ???

Guess you dont live in Phuket ?

There everywhere

For beer?

You probably have made a purchase decision that was influenced by billboard/outdoor advertising and didn't even know it.

Billboards aren't usually a direct response medium.

Advertising works.

Next you'll be telling us that nobody clicks on ads on the web, because you don't click on ads on the web.

Thanks for your input, but the evidence would suggest strongly otherwise.

I'm very unsensitive to ads, especially broad advertizing because 99% of the time it promotes mediocre products and services, whereas I am the type of customer who likes to research the best product and offer.

Sometimes there are exceptions where ads promote an offer that is actually good AND still unknown to me, but many sound too good to be true and usually really are after I read the small print...

There is no free lunch, at least I can say free lunches don't get advertized.

Edited by manarak

Five years ago my wife and I were looking at buying a condo in Bangkok. We looked at several but did not find anything we liked. Sitting at the lounge at our hotel we saw a billboard advertising some condos be built on Sukhumvit 59. We called, went to take a look and put a down payment on a unit.

Who ever told Thais that driving a van slowly through a crowed city centre was guaranteed to increase the love of their product? How much wasted fuel? How much pollution? How much wages for the driver? How much of the loudspeakers announcement does the World at large hear?

If I can ever make out the brand name concerned, it goes on my avoid-at-all-costs list.

Billboards, did you act on seeing one?

Driving with Mrs T sat next to me, we once saw a billboard that said 65% of husbands cheat on their wives. I acted surprised, flabbergasted and utterly shocked and disgusted.

T

Yes I did before they took them down.

Whenever I saw a billboard advertising a beer, always got thirsty and was looking for a bar to quench my thirst.

Took them down ???

Guess you dont live in Phuket ?

There everywhere

For beer?

Exactly I remember that a new law prohibits advertising for alcoholic beverages, however along the highway #7 in Pattaya there is still a huge one advertising Singha, with pictures of premier league footballers and the Golden Lion.

Maybe it is an advertisement for water.

I do not buy anything based on advertisements or bill boards. I buy based on my needs and past experience. I look at a product and decide. All these billboards are an eye sore to me and would like to see them go away.

As several others here have suggested, don't be fooled into thinking that your decision making process (e.g., what to buy) is fully conscious. A good part of your mental processing is done below the level of conscious awareness. Here's a real study to demonstrate this.

Two comparable groups of students--Groups A and B--were presented with a half dozen posters in very different styles (van Gogh, Mondrian, etc.) and asked to choose one that they would be given as a gift. Group A was asked to choose their preferred poster immediately, without giving it much thought; Group B was asked to do a deep, lengthy analysis before making their decision (describing the features that they look for in artwork, etc.). The researchers unexpectedly called the students a couple of weeks later and asked whether they had put the poster up on their wall. Group A students were far more likely to have done so even though it was Group B that had really thought things through. In this case, the quick, unconscious processing done by the Group A students had resulted in a better (or more satisfying) decision.

No, never bought anything because of billboard advertising.

But at least billboards don't make noise. It's those loud, slow moving, trucks bellowing out some silly message about a condo, disco, or concert that annoy me.

We all act on them... We are simply not aware of it.

We think we are smart and can't be 'manipulated' yet we are subject to varying degrees of marketing on a daily basis.

The Large Bill Boards are about providing a 'reminder' creating brand awareness.

We are lying to ourselves if we think we don't prefer to purchase brands we are more familiar with.

Edited by richard_smith237

I seldom notice billboards cause I'm concentrating on the unpredictable traffic around me.

I won't patronize any business that advertises on tuk-tuks either.

Edited by Pakaty

IMO. Billboards are a scourge upon the land.

If Thailand was really serious about promoting the country as a "idyllic tropical paradise" holiday/retirement destination, it would ban or restrict billboards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard#Laws_limiting_billboards

Laws limiting billboards

In 1964, the negative impact of the over-proliferation of signage was abundantly evident in Houston, Texas, and it motivated Lady Bird Johnson to ask her husband to create a law. At the same time the outdoor advertising industry was becoming aware that excessive signs, some literally blocking another, was bad for business.

In 1965, the Highway Beautification Act was signed into law. The act applied only to "Federal Aid Primary" and "Defense" highways and limited billboards to commercial and industrial zones created by states and municipalities. It required each state to set standards based on "customary use" for the size, lighting and spacing of billboards, and prohibited city and state governments from removing billboards without paying compensation to the owner. The act requires states to maintain "effective control" of billboards or lose 5% of their federal highway dollars.

The act also required the screening of junk yards adjacent to regulated highways.

Around major holidays, volunteer groups erected highway signs offering free coffee at rest stops. These were specifically exempted in the act.

Currently, four states—Vermont, Alaska, Hawaii, and Maine—have prohibited billboards. Vermont's law went into effect in 1968, Hawaii's law went into effect in 1927, Maine's law went into effect in 1979, and Alaska's law went into effect upon its achievement of statehood in 1959.

In the UK, billboards are controlled as adverts as part of the planning system. To display an illegal advert (that is, without planning permission) is a criminal offence with a fine of up to £2500 per offence (per poster). All of the large UK outdoor advertisers such as CBS Outdoor, JCDecaux, Clear Channel, Titan and Primesight have numerous convictions for such crimes.

In São Paulo, a city of eleven million in Brazil, Billboards and advertising on vehicles have been banned since January 2007. It also restricted the dimensions of advertising on shop fronts.

In British Columbia, Canada, billboards are restricted to 300m away from roadways, the government also retains the right to remove any billboard it deems an unsafe distraction.

In Toronto, Canada, a municipal tax on billboards was implemented in April 2010. A portion of the tax will help fund arts programs in the city.

Drove from the airport yesterday and at the end of the road was greeted by the smiling faces of the boys from One Direction. It made me immediately want to go out and buy a Toyota Vios!

Actually, of course, it didn't but what surprised me about this particular advert is how much of the target market would even recognise these guys? I assume it would be part of a worldwide sponsorship deal and their Bangkok show was partly sponsored by Toyota. However did seeing the billboard, my daughter's reaction actually make me look at the brand, in which case did it the desired effect on me? I don't know. But as people have pointed out, brand awareness is as important as anything else.