Johnny Depp's dogs face death in Australia

webfact

If the plan was to kill them then Mr Depp would not have been given the option to remove them.

The plan was to have them removed but if that offer was not accepted then the law demands they be put down.

Semantic argument. The plan was to kill them if they were not removed by the Aussie deadline.

Answer to other posters.

In the USA (as far as I know) pets are required to have a rabies certificate for entry and no 3 month period of quarantine. Many Thai soi dogs have been rescued and imported to North America.

What rational person would make a dog submit to 3 months of quarantine?

Edited by lostoday

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Aussies are so worried about rabies, why don't they destroy their bat population?

I expect Depp's dogs were in more danger from the bats than the entire population of Australia was from Depp's dogs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rabies belongs to a group of viruses called lyssaviruses, which includes the Australian bat lyssavirus (ABLV) which can be transmitted from bats to humans and to other animals.

Australia is listed as being free of the rabies virus in land dwelling animals, but three cases of human infection with ABLV have been recorded since the virus was first identified in 1996.
All cases were in Queensland after people were bitten or scratched by bats — and all three died as a result of ABLV infection."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot's of American bashers in Australia - it's the narcissism of minor differences. Australians find it amusing, so do Poms to a large extent. Americans tend to find it upsetting, probably because we expect to be universally admired and loved and through that to have exceptions made for our exceptionalism.

More than anything, I'm sadly disappointed at the high percentage of exchanges here involving hate. Whether it's hating the Americans, hating the Russkies, hating the Chinese, or the Muslims, or the Thais, or the rich and famous, or each other, or whoever.

Of course, it's not unique to Aussies, but they seem to be well represented here in that group. And then to read about this elected official "back home" who thinks it's acceptable to use the same trashy rhetoric in the press, it's doubly disappointing.

Edited by impulse

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard ‘should have been charged’ say legal experts

HOLLYWOOD superstar Johnny Depp should have been charged as soon as authorities discovered he smuggled his pet dogs into Australia, a legal expert has revealed.

And an assistant for Depp and his wife Amber Heard — believed to have carried their pet pooches off a private jet concealed in a handbag — along with the aircraft operator, could both face fines and criminal charges.

Depp’s now two infamous Yorkshire terriers, Boo and Pistol, were last night believed to have safely been back on American soil.

The furballs were issued an export licence and departed the Gold Coast on Friday night on their very own private jet, just hours before a 9.40am Saturday deadline for them to be euthanised.

However it is understood the two tiny pooches were due to be rigorously inspected by US customs upon their return with America not classifying Australia as a rabies-free zone.

http://www.news.com.au/national/johnny-depp-and-amber-heard-should-have-been-charged-say-legal-experts/story-fncynjr2-1227357612722

I hope all those that slammed and criticized Australia's customs laws and procedures will now be slamming the U.S for rigorously inspecting the poor dogs and requiring Depp to have the appropriate paper work. Requiring the same standards as Australia they are acting just like those uncivilised barbaric Aussies who picked on a poor innocent American citizen.

Edited by chooka

Lot's of American bashers in Australia - it's the narcissism of minor differences. Australians find it amusing, so do Poms to a large extent. Americans tend to find it upsetting, probably because we expect to be universally admired and loved and through that to have exceptions made for our exceptionalism.

More than anything, I'm sadly disappointed at the high percentage of exchanges here involving hate. Whether it's hating the Americans, hating the Russkies, hating the Chinese, or the Muslims, or the Thais, or the rich and famous, or each other, or whoever.

Of course, it's not unique to Aussies, but they seem to be well represented here in that group. And then to read about this elected official "back home" who thinks it's acceptable to use the same trashy rhetoric in the press, it's doubly disappointing.

Nothing to do with nationality, it's the attitude and behaviour of the individual. Hundreds of Australians get fined every week for trying to get through Customs with prohibited items.

HOLLYWOOD superstar Johnny Depp should have been charged as soon as authorities discovered he smuggled his pet dogs into Australia, a legal expert has revealed.

And an assistant for Depp and his wife Amber Heard — believed to have carried their pet pooches off a private jet concealed in a handbag — along with the aircraft operator, could both face fines and criminal charges.

Depp’s now two infamous Yorkshire terriers, Boo and Pistol, were last night believed to have safely been back on American soil.

The furballs were issued an export licence and departed the Gold Coast on Friday night on their very own private jet, just hours before a 9.40am Saturday deadline for them to be euthanised.

However it is understood the two tiny pooches were due to be rigorously inspected by US customs upon their return with America not classifying Australia as a rabies-free zone.

http://www.news.com.au/national/johnny-depp-and-amber-heard-should-have-been-charged-say-legal-experts/story-fncynjr2-1227357612722

I hope all those that slammed and criticized Australia's customs laws and procedures will now be slamming the U.S for rigorously inspecting the poor dogs and requiring Depp to have the appropriate paper work. Requiring the same standards as Australia they are acting just like those uncivilised barbaric Aussies who picked on a poor innocent American citizen.

I think what you fail to realize is that to enter the USA a dog needs a current rabies vaccination certificate but no quarantine. That makes sense and is not barbaric. To take a poor little doggy away from his owner for three months and put him in a doggy jail that is barbaric and cruel. It's kind of like a penal colony for doggies who did nothing wrong even if they have their rabies shots.

Nice back pedaling. I suspect he took so much heat from his party and constituents, that he racheted back his rhetoric.

BTW: As Pistol and Boo prepare to land in the native Los Angeles, officers from the US Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection have warned that the pair will be closely examined upon arrival. We do a visual examination, and if we see any sign of illness, we’ll take action,” Jaime Ruiz, a Customs and Border Protection spokesman, said. “This is standard procedure for us.”

I'm sure that has them shaking in their little doggie booties.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/pistol-and-boo-depp-and-heards-pampered-pooches-flown-home-by-private-jet/story-fnk822dn-1227356807281

From the same source:

Billionaire miner turned politician, Clive Palmer, also added his voice to the Depp saga saying Mr Joyce’s comments had turned Australia into the laughing stock of the world.

“This is nothing but an embarrassing act of grandstanding by Barnaby Joyce which will result in a bad reputation for Australia and hurt the struggling film industry on the Gold Coast,” Mr Palmer said.

Edited by impulse

I think what you fail to realize is that to enter the USA a dog needs a current rabies vaccination certificate but no quarantine. That makes sense and is not barbaric. To take a poor little doggy away from his owner for three months and put him in a doggy jail that is barbaric and cruel. It's kind of like a penal colony for doggies who did nothing wrong even if they have their rabies shots.

Quarantine is only 10 days and owners and handlers can spend time with them there. They didnt even have thier certificate to enter the country and were out in the community where they were in areas frequented by other dogs. You may assume but cant say they were free of all transmittable canine deseases because there wasn't the required documentation of the fact, the same documentation that the U.S requires. The monkeys had the required paperwork and spent some time in quarantine and you didn't hear the tears and calls of barbaric Australians from thier owners who probably love them as much as Depp loves his dogs

there are millions of native bats in Australia and 3 people in Qld have died of bat lyssavirus ( not rabies but belonging to same family of viruses)

How did thet contract bat lyssavirus

By handling sick bats and getting either scratched or bitten

Bats don't attack humans like dogs do

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard should have been charged say legal experts

And an assistant for Depp and his wife Amber Heard believed to have carried their pet pooches off a private jet concealed in a handbag along with the aircraft operator, could both face fines and criminal charges.

Depps now two infamous Yorkshire terriers, Boo and Pistol, were last night believed to have safely been back on American soil.

The Americans here who have felt offended had been because despite the myth of their meritocratic society they all love a bit of stature and respect paid to the higher ups.

Then when officials in a country where people still like to call the prime minister by his or her first name tell Hollywood royalty to shove it, they go bonkers in the same way the Brits did when Keating guided the queen with his had near her back.

Truth is, the yanks have become as socially stratisfied as the old country they tore away from.

Edited by samran

on their very own private jet

I wonder if Depp is one of those Hollywood GW espousers?

Personally, I think he should be euthanaised for inflicting the atrocious Lone Ranger movie on the world.

The Americans here who have felt offended had been because despite the myth of their meritocratic society they all love a bit of stature and respect paid to the higher ups.

Then when officials in a country where people still like to call the prime minister by his or her first name tell Hollywood royalty to shove it, they go bonkers in the same way the Brits did when Keating guided the queen with his had near her back.

Truth is, the yanks have become as socially stratisfied as the old country they tore away from.

Nah. We just love our dogs. And don't like to see someone threaten to kill them to make cheap political or ego points when there is no harm done, and better solutions available.

I wonder where Depp's two miniature dogs would rank on this list?

Surely higher than the feared Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus). gigglem.gif

This list was developed by the Australian Museum in Sydney. Museum staff rated animals out of 10 based on the threat they pose, combined with the likelihood of encountering one.
Danger rating: 10/10
1. Box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)
Danger rating: 9/10
2. Honey bee (Apis mellifera)
3. Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)
Danger rating: 8/10
4. Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
5. Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)
6. Saltwater or estuarine crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)
7. Sydney funnel web spider (Atrax robustus)
Danger rating: 7/10
8. Blue-ringed octopus (Genus Hapalochlaena)
9. Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)
10.Common death adder (Acanthopis antarticus)
11. Cone shells (Conus sp.)
12. Dugite or spotted brown snake (Pseudonaja affinis)
13. Mulga snake (Pseudechis australis)
14. Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)
15. Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
16. Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus)
17. Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
18. Yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platurus)
Danger rating: 6/10
19. Bluebottle (Physalia physalis)
20. Common lionfish (Pterois volitans)
21. Collett’s snake (Pseudechis colletti)
22. Highland copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)
23. Inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
24. Redback spider (Lactodectus hasselti)
25. Reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)
26. Smooth toadfish (Tetractenos glaber)
27. Blue-bellied black snake (Pseudechis guttatus)
Danger rating: 5/10
28. Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus)
29. Bull ant (Myrmercia pilosula)
30. Giant centipede (Ethmostigmus rubripes)

I think we need to put the whole thing in perspective. Why don't you start a thread, " Who should bugger off? A. Boo and Pistol or B. Barnaby Joyce."

That way Mr. Joyce could get a realistic idea of how the rest of the world feels about him.

I'm betting only Chooka and one or two others would vote against the cute little doggies.

Thanks Chooka. But I don't need the lesson on Australia. I was born, bred and educated there. I have a ferociously dinkum Aussie family, quite ordinary people and whilst the men swear, they calm down a lot in front of the women and children. In fact I know so many Australians, men and women who don't swear at all. I meet quite a few Aussies in CM and they are all quite calm in their language too. I just think that the Minister should have maintained a bit of dignity in front of the Press.

As for Depp, I don't care what nationality he is. He shouldn't have done it. .But the only reason that this has made such a fuss......is that he is Depp!

A few years back, I was on an interpreting job in Australia. I was coping with two hysterical French women at the customs. They had brought in (declared) some sort of honey things, in open packets. They showed them, no problem. He said that being French, they must have come in loaded with Foie Gras. They had of course. Again no problem. He commiserated with me so much that he didn't ask me anything. THAT was a good thing.

Surely higher than the feared Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus). gigglem.gif

This list was developed by the Australian Museum in Sydney. Museum staff rated animals out of 10 based on the threat they pose, combined with the likelihood of encountering one.

Want to compare countries for treatment of pets?

2.7 million—Number of adoptable cats and dogs euthanised in shelters each year in USA with population of approx 319 million

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/pet_ownership_statistics.html

Total pets euthanised at shelters in Oz approx 40k - Oz population around 23 million

https://www.rspca.org.au/sites/default/files/website/The-facts/Statistics/RSPCA%20Australia%20National%20Statistics%202011-2012.pdf

Edited by simple1

Mate, they might be murdering parasites, but at least they are OUR murdering parasites. :)

They'd make short work of Depp's little yapppers.

Lol, at the end of the day, Depp will still be admired and loved for his works, how he has helped sick children, his charities and the way he generally treats people.

Australia will be remembered as having some fat, slobbering, inarticulate loud mouth politician type who threatened to kill two poor puppies that looked a bit like Toto on the Wizard of Oz.

Oh, and you gotta love his statement that US won't take them back either and that the poor dogs are Stateless. What a moron. Well done!

Any more good Aussie humor! Love it. Keep it coming.

Well as a lawyer i am sure you will realise he didnt make the law, simply stating what it is. Send the dogs back or by law they will have to die. He did the wrong thing and was told the consequences and how to avoid it.

I dont care if he is mother theresa, the law doesnt care either. Australians, especially those in farming take a very dim view of such things, it has caused much loss of jobs and crops etc in the past. Why he thinks he should not bother is up to him.

If he got drunk and fell over and was arrested, got a parking ticket or swore at people and generally made a dick of himself no one would give a rats.

Edit: he was actually worried the dogs would be stateless and have to be put down. All on Mr Depp's stupidity.

He wanted to kill toto. Savages you Australians are . . ., and cannot read to well given some of your responses . . . Put the Fosters down, eat better, exercise, try some dental hygiene and the stunners may come your way and perhaps, maybe, just maybe some Australians won't be so dang temperamental or drama filled that they want to kill Toto . . . Not one, but two Totos. Savages I tell you.

No, not Kansas, Glinda. But one can imagine arriving at LAX or JFK with a couple of dogs in tow...I am sure they would just roll out the red carpet. Alternatively, pax and dogs stun-gunned , shot, kicked out....all of the above.

Lol, that this is still going and anyone still cares.

LAX, people travel with their dogs a lot so not uncommon.

I have one friend that is a single 31 year old female who buys her dog its own first class seat when they travel and Dylan has been more places in the world than I. I am actually Dylan's dad so to speak as I bought Dylan, a long haired chihuahua, for her in 2004.

21. Colletts snake (Pseudechis colletti)

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

2.7 millionNumber of adoptable cats and dogs euthanised in shelters each year in USA with population of approx 319 million

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/pet_ownership_statistics.html

Total pets euthanised at shelters in Oz approx 40k - Oz population around 23 million

https://www.rspca.org.au/sites/default/files/website/The-facts/Statistics/RSPCA%20Australia%20National%20Statistics%202011-2012.pdf

By all means, come here and adopt a few that need good homes or stop acting all high mighty like you give a crap.

We do have a serious over population of dogs and cats. Perhaps this would not be the case if we considered them food and ate them.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

2.7 millionNumber of adoptable cats and dogs euthanised in shelters each year in USA with population of approx 319 million

By all means, come here and adopt a few that need good homes or stop acting all high mighty like you give a crap.

We do have a serious over population of dogs and cats. Perhaps this would not be the case if we considered them food and ate them.

Posted for fun & expected an OTT reply - Relax

Edited by simple1

And an assistant for Depp and his wife Amber Heard believed to have carried their pet pooches off a private jet concealed in a handbag along with the aircraft operator, could both face fines and criminal charges.

Depps now two infamous Yorkshire terriers, Boo and Pistol, were last night believed to have safely been back on American soil.

Hilarious. I live clowns. They make world an entertaining place.

Johnny Depp is not royalty. He is an actor. Yes, people admire him and he is looked up to because of his movies and his charitable work, but most could give 2 shiiiyttes less and that is a far cry from considering royalty. You poor souls are caught up in the labels and apparent insecurities of somehow being less than . . . Ah, but the world needs clowns too.

Mate, they might be murdering parasites, but at least they are OUR murdering parasites. smile.png

The real Aussie personality comes out.

Nope, Aussies are actually cool people. I spent a lot if time surfing throughout Australia over the last 30 years. Love the place and people. Clowns like Joyce and those defending him are few and far between and certainly not representative of the Australians I admire. All countries have their clowns.

Mate, they might be murdering parasites, but at least they are OUR murdering parasites. smile.png

The real Aussie personality comes out.

Yep, classic laconic humour.

Posted for fun & expected an OTT reply - Relax

Sure you did which is why you took time to look it up. At least man up . . . Just more pedestal or soap box but no action mentality from the same people that want to force countries to accept a bunch of broke, uneducated boat people.

Johnny Depp is not royalty. He is an actor. Yes, people admire him and he is looked up to because of his movies and his charitable work, but most could give 2 shiiiyttes less and that is a far cry from considering royalty. You poor souls are caught up in the labels and apparent insecurities of somehow being less than . . . Ah, but the world needs clowns too.

Oh dear, I did say Hollywood Royalty.

But anyway, a little test.

If the average Australian saw Tony Abbott walking down the street how do you think they'd address him?

If the average American met Obama or Bush (marks 1, 2 and potentially 3) how do you think they'd address them....?

Oh dear, I did say Hollywood Royalty.

But anyway, a little test.

If the average Australian saw Tony Abbott walking down the street how do you think they'd address him?

If the average American met Obama or Bush (marks 1, 2 and potentially 3) how do you think they'd address them....?

I dunno or care. Take a poll if you do.