swimming instructor for a toddler

thaiscot

I have a little girl who is nearly 2 yrs old & want a swimming insructor to learn her to swim, went to the pool at chiangmai land (which is very close to my house) but the ones there said they dont take them until they are at least 5 yrs old but would like her to learn as young as possible, does anyone have any experiences or telephone numbers i can try

thanks in advance

try some of the other bigger moo baans or 700 year stadium pool. Maybe even a health club that has a pool....

Don't agree w/ sink or swim approach...Thailand has 6,000 child drownings a year (something close) with that same approach who never learned the fundamentals properly....

CB

We used Kruu Payup for our 3 year old. He is excellent and speaks English but he could be considered 'tough' on the kid if you are a Western liberal but if you want them to swim he is great. He will focus mainly on getting them used to being underwater and move forward from there.

One of his teachers Kruu Joy is 'softer' than him and now teaches our 3 year old daughter.

Both are extremely busy. I will PM the phone number

We used Kruu Payup for our 3 year old. He is excellent and speaks English but he could be considered 'tough' on the kid if you are a Western liberal but if you want them to swim he is great. He will focus mainly on getting them used to being underwater and move forward from there.

One of his teachers Kruu Joy is 'softer' than him and now teaches our 3 year old daughter.

it's actually Kru Payu. he's got a number of websites and markets very heavily, even has guys driving around town putting up billboards everywhere. seen him give lessons and he's tough! not for an "almost 2 year old".

It' s all about getting rid of the fear of water at that age.

I used to be a qualified (ASA) swimming teacher and lifeguard in the UK (Summer Job).

Its unlikely you'll get a child younger than 4 to swim.

That said: you can give them excellent familiarisation with water, jumping in, going under, learning not to cough etc.... Much of this you can do yourself as it requires 1 on 1 supervision.

IMO: The best bet for a parent (who is a confident swimmer) with a child younger than 4 is to take them regularly to the pool. Just get them playing with the water, splashing, blowing raspberries with their face in the water... As they get a little older (+3) get them to hum under water (prevents water from going up their nose).

The most important part is to prevent them from being fearful of water - BUT - this is also a double edged sword, they need to respect water and not get in or go near it unless you are with them.

I've been doing much of the above with my Son (who's now 17 months), since he was 4 months old. He'll now walk up to the water and just jump in. He goes under, sometimes coughs a little when I bring him up, sometimes I let him go under for a couple of seconds. He's just learning to hold his breath. He's fearless, loves the water, splashes like crazy... But its also a little dangerous, he requires 100% attention when near water.

Edited by richard_smith237

I used to be a qualified (ASA) swimming teacher and lifeguard in the UK (Summer Job).

That said: you can give them excellent familiarisation with water, jumping in, going under, learning not to cough etc.... Much of this you can do yourself as it requires 1 on 1 supervision.

IMO: The best bet for a parent (who is a confident swimmer) with a child younger than 4 is to take them regularly to the pool. Just get them playing with the water, splashing, blowing raspberries with their face in the water... As they get a little older (+3) get them to hum under water (prevents water from going up their nose).

The most important part is to prevent them from being fearful of water - BUT - this is also a double edged sword, they need to respect water and not get in or go near it unless you are with them.

I've been doing much of the above with my Son (who's now 17 months), since he was 4 months old. He'll now walk up to the water and just jump in. He goes under, sometimes coughs a little when I bring him up, sometimes I let him go under for a couple of seconds. He's just learning to hold his breath. He's fearless, loves the water, splashes like crazy... But its also a little dangerous, he requires 100% attention when near water.

At three my son could swim quite adequately (doggy, freestyle, a little backstroke) after having lessons so I don't understand your comments. Kids can drown at any age so I prefer them to be able to swim because I have water around us. My daughter at 3 is enjoying the lessons.

Go up the road to Mae Joe past RimPing Mae Chook a couple of hundred meters to the first large soi on the left and turn left (it is before the gas station). Go down that soi about 100 meters and you will see on the left a pool place, not real easy to spot, it is after a large walled home and before a vacant lot and it is on the corner of a soi to the left. Not hard to find really, except there is a building in front of the pool.

They have teachers, not sure about English speaking but probably, and they teach small kids, will take a 2-3 year old. Daughter learned to swim there at 4 and just put my 3 nephews through two weeks of classes and all learned to swim but they are a bit older.

At three my son could swim quite adequately (doggy, freestyle, a little backstroke) after having lessons so I don't understand your comments. Kids can drown at any age so I prefer them to be able to swim because I have water around us. My daughter at 3 is enjoying the lessons.

As you have pointed out your son could swim quite adequately at the age of 3 (in his 3rd year, closer to 4 years or just having turned 3 ?)... As he could swim quite adequately would you feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised near the water for a few mins ?

If you are comfortable leaving your child unsupervised near water, I would agree that you believe they can swim perfectly well. If however you wouldn't leave him unsupervised even for a few mins then you are already aware that his capability is not as strong as you pointed out above.

At some point a child will pass the threshold whereby water safety is understood, they know how to stay afloat and not panic if they fall in. It is unlikely child is a capable enough swimmer to handle this before 4 years old. Of course there may be the odd child who can swim early as your son does but for most this this safety - competency threshold is a few years later than 3 years old - and closer to 5 years old.

--------

My Son is unaware he can't swim. He's not scared of water. For the moment its a highly dangerous situation and I'll need to watch him very closely when near water. That should remedy itself by the time he's 5 years old - the work we put in now getting our children familiarised with water, learning to swim and stay afloat will pay unmeasurable dividends with regards to their safety. I hope that by the time my Son is 5 years old he'll be able to swim (remain afloat) with light clothes on.

What's the definition of swimming for a child?

I will go through swimming lessons for my 4 year daughter soon and will find out what the outcome competencies are.

The greatest fear for a parent is a toddler or small child find itself in water and can't touch the pool bottom. The ability to tread water is the most important but no idea what average age that can be expected...

Learning to hold their breadth, understand breathing, freestyle stroke, effective kicking, understanding depth, floating somewhat are part of the process but doesn't equal survivability...