Shunned migrant boat leaves Thai waters: governor

webfact

Thailand has done the right thing.

Do you want these people joining the Bomb Tossers down South? Let them in, feed them, clothe them, then they'll want a Separate State.

Far better, they go to Indonesia where there are plenty of facilities to accommodate their current and future demands.

On top of that, how dare the United Nations try to tell Thailand to take these people in?

Perhaps the UN should scoop up all the world's alleged Refugees and look after them at the UN Building in New York or Geneva. The UN is and always has been, a Waste Of Space!

Then of course, we have our ever so kind Burmese neighbours, still led by a bunch of Despots. Tell them to sort the problem out, or the rest of the world will HALT all Aid to their corrupt Government.

Everyone has been bending over backwards to bring Burma into the 21st Century, and what has Burma done to show its good faith?

Top Marks to Thailand for not being pushed around!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of Jonathan Head... but there was a particularly gut retching article on the BBC this morning that summed up the attitude towards the Rohingya plight. Refugee Ping Pong between Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Give them a few more days of water to survive and then send them on their way: with no where to go.

What ?No Migrants ,No Refugees,the are SPACE INVADERS no where to go? Who told them to leave their Space where they come from and Invade other countries.Every country must refuse them to enter,Same as Australia and Vietnam,That is the only way to stop them from taking over other countries,,If not, it will happen ,only a matter of time. wai2.gif

Apparently Kerry has spoken to The Thai Foreign Minister to discuss"Temporary Shelter" for the refugees

"We urge the governments of the region to work together quickly ... to save the lives of migrants now at sea who are in need of an immediate rescue,"

http://us.cnn.com/2015/05/15/world/thailand-pm-on-fishing-slavery/index.html?

Edited by ExPratt

Imagine if you were a visitor from another planet watching this unfold . . .

sad.png

If I were from another planet, why would I care what humans do to each other. Do you care what happens in ant societies? Isn't it enough we come from cultures where we don't force minorities out of our own countries? Sorry, but I think your comment is silly.

Apparently Kerry has spoken to The Thai Foreign Minister to discuss"Temporary Shelter" for the refugees

"We urge the governments of the region to work together quickly ... to save the lives of migrants now at sea who are in need of an immediate rescue,"

Finally. ExPratt has proposed the solution that was in my mind as I read all the member comments.

These people can not be left at sea until their boats just sink or until they die of malnutrition or dehydration.

No doubt, the problem is complex. But as ExPratt suggested, give them a little space and compassion until a solution is found.

And how come the Americans who have their nose stuck in countries all over the world haven't helped out ? Surely they must have a warship nearby that could shadow these boats in the event of looming tragedy. They might even have some supplies on board to share. Oh yeah, that's right, there isn't any tangible benefit in it for the USA, just a ship load of good will.

I wonder, indeed I hope, that some monitoring of this boat will take place - maybe from the air by the press.

My reason is that now it is gone and forgotten, none of us will know - certainly from the Thai press - whether or not it reaches Indonesia or just sinks.

Terrible situation.

They will be alright....when they get to wherever they going, they will instill their culture and barbarianism on the people that help them...Just like they did in Burma.
What utter nonsense you do spew.

Usaully you post good comments....I have worked with Burmese people for many years and took an interest in what they were saying....

Be they right or wrong...They had something to say. Please start to investigate what really is the reason no country wants them...before you critiize everyone who doesnt agree with you.....GET INFORMED on everything....Then you're comments will be taken into account but maybe not agreed with.....

I am informed on this issue.

My response to your post was based on the language you chose to apply to a faith and your implication the Rohingya are not Burmese.

The roots of the community go back over 1000 years. They are as Burmese as any of the other dozens of different cultural groups that make up Burma.

More so I'd say than those who wish to be free of that national identity.

Maybe the USA is tired of footing the bill for other countries problems? Eventually many countries have to get their shit together and stop the mantra where is the U.S.? U.S. Infrastructure is in such a state of disrepair it's ridiculous.

Thailand like Australia is doing the right thing. Neither country wants anymore criminal/trouble maker/rabble consuming resources they don't deserve and aren't entitled too.

It's up to Myanmar to fix the problem and Myanmar alone....so why don't they?

It seems like this would be a good use for the, possibly, new Thai submarine. They could station it off the coast of Burma and not let any boat people leave Burmese territorial waters.

As for those Ready to Eat Meal packets they dropped to the boat people, do you think they were Halal or did they maybe contained pork. The Yingluck government passed out rotten, canned fish to Thai flood victims in 2011. Thais are very sensitive on a personal level but seem to be totally insensitive to the wishes/needs/feelings of others; Thai or otherwise.

Since Thais don't treat their fellow Thais very well, I am surprised that so many posters would have expectations of Thais treating foreign economic migrants any better than they do. It seems a lot of posters have no clue about Thainess and are judging Thais by the standards in their own countries. Thais grew up in Thailand and are taught from an early age that the Thai way is the only way and they really have no clue/concept of Western thought patterns or Western values. Don't forget what kind of culture Thai people are born in to. You think they are being inhumane but really, they are just being Thai.

Finally. ExPratt has proposed the solution that was in my mind as I read all the member comments.

These people can not be left at sea until their boats just sink or until they die of malnutrition or dehydration.

No doubt, the problem is complex. But as ExPratt suggested, give them a little space and compassion until a solution is found.

And how come the Americans who have their nose stuck in countries all over the world haven't helped out ? Surely they must have a warship nearby that could shadow these boats in the event of looming tragedy. They might even have some supplies on board to share. Oh yeah, that's right, there isn't any tangible benefit in it for the USA, just a ship load of good will.

And how come the Americans who have their nose stuck in countries all over the world haven't helped out ? Surely they must have a warship nearby that could shadow these boats in the event of looming tragedy. They might even have some supplies on board to share. Oh yeah, that's right, there isn't any tangible benefit in it for the USA, just a ship load of good wil

The only country farther away from this crisis than the USA, geographically, is Canada and yet you choose to single out the USA for its inaction (as far as you know) and then you write that the USA only helps when there is a benefit for the USA. Ignorance or hate? Anti-American much?

Thanks but John Kerry suggested that,, after he'd spoken to me of course smile.png . The problem is in the region designated for the first holding camp of refugees found inside Thailand the natives are revolting. They don't want the camps near them

And how come the Americans who have their nose stuck in countries all over the world haven't helped out ? Surely they must have a warship nearby that could shadow these boats in the event of looming tragedy. They might even have some supplies on board to share. Oh yeah, that's right, there isn't any tangible benefit in it for the USA, just a ship load of good wil

The only country farther away from this crisis than the USA, geographically, is Canada and yet you choose to single out the USA for its inaction (as far as you know) and then you write that the USA only helps when there is a benefit for the USA. Ignorance or hate? Anti-American much?

I would say that the Thais , Indo's and Malaysians only stop these boats when they are inside territorial waters , the have no right to do so outside. Therefore the US cannot aid or stop in theses areas. I also do not know if they I entitled to stop any ship in International waters . I would think not

The problem is not so much in Thailand not wanting to have to house, feed, and

help these people, as it is the people who are involved with this people

trafficking! Thailand already has problems with their own Muslims, and their own people, do you actually think

Thailand needs more refugees! There should be an island on the Andaman sea that

is considered to be a no country island. Any refugees that are fleeing countries like

Burma or India or Bangladesh could be stopped at the island and UN and other countries

can pay money and resources to either help these people go to a better life, or back

to their own countries. I know that this is not a best style of solution, but neither

is a bunch of people paying the bad guys so that they can escape their country for

what ever reasons they are, just to put a bourdon on the countries that they escape

to. Europe and Asia have their own problems without having these people thrust upon them.

I may seem hard hearted, but there has to be a better solution than a bunch of

countries being financially stressed by refugees.

trafficking! Thailand already has problems with their own Muslims, and their own people, do you actually think

is considered to be a no country island. Any refugees that are fleeing countries like

Burma or India or Bangladesh could be stopped at the island and UN and other countries

can pay money and resources to either help these people go to a better life, or back

to their own countries. I know that this is not a best style of solution, but neither

is a bunch of people paying the bad guys so that they can escape their country for

what ever reasons they are, just to put a bourdon on the countries that they escape

to. Europe and Asia have their own problems without having these people thrust upon them.

Yes its a massive strain on them all. I think what Kerry is saying is down leave them helpless at sea

These guys don't take to foreign ideas when it doesn't them, but in this case they have borrowed the Stop the Boats idea unashamedly from . . . Australia!

(And yes, I'm an Australian).

I am glad they stopped the boats. Australia has done the right thing and it is a good idea.

I'm sorry you see it that way.

The Australian governments Stop the Boats policy has little to do with stopping boats and everything to do with maintaining political power.

It is a popular policy with the xenophobic, racist rednecks who sadly are many in Australia. If you can get the rednecks to vote for you you will stay in power.

Look around the face of Australia is no longer white anglo saxon, it is all sorts, in an overcrowded world a country with the land mass of Australia has an obligation to accept migrants. I do agree with proper processing to determine the legitimacy of their claims for asylum, a process with many difficulties.

The problems Thailand has with the residents of the south are entirely of their own making.

And I say this while at the same time utterly despising the actions of the terrorist scum who have resorted to violence.

The Burmese fleeing Burma at present cannot be compared to them. They are fleeing persecution in Burma and are not to blame for their plight.

That lies squarely with the official bigotry and prejudice they face in their own country.

Edited by Bluespunk

I'm not a big fan of Jonathan Head... but there was a particularly gut retching article on the BBC this morning that summed up the attitude towards the Rohingya plight. Refugee Ping Pong between Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Give them a few more days of water to survive and then send them on their way: with no where to go.

What ?No Migrants ,No Refugees,the are SPACE INVADERS no where to go? Who told them to leave their Space where they come from and Invade other countries.Every country must refuse them to enter,Same as Australia and Vietnam,That is the only way to stop them from taking over other countries,,If not, it will happen ,only a matter of time. wai2.gif

OK, We've got your drift, "To hell with anyone that doesn't think, look or speak like me."

The boat left Thailand’s waters Friday (3am) after the Thai Navy repaired its engine and provided food, water, batteries and enough fuel for 33 hours of travel, said Lt. Cmdr. Veerapong Nakprasit, the commander of a Thai naval base here.

The boat is without qualified crew; the captain and five other crew members abandoned the vessel last week, according to passengers. But Commander Veerapong said the navy had trained the passengers “so they can reach their dream destination. We have verified that they can navigate on their own.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/world/asia/migrant-boat-myanmar-thailand.html

So about this time yesterday this boat and passengers either found its destination, ran out of fuel somewhere in the middle of the ocean, or are being pushed out of territorial waters again.

Not meant to sound callous, but the chances of us debating next week what country is responsible for all the rotting corpses on this or the many other boat loads of people floating around, seems to be getting better by the hour.

It's difficult to comment on this topic without a fear of going over the top and being suspended from posting, or even worse. I would hate to think of any of you in The Sea of Bengal, adrift with no hope in sight... drinking your own urine.

Thailand has a chance to step up to the plate and hit a home run in the eyes of the world. They should take a swing at it.

Edited by Local Drunk

It's difficult to comment on this topic without a fear of going over the top and being suspended from posting, or even worse. I would hate to think of any of you in The Sea of Bengal, adrift with no hope in sight... drinking your own urine.

Thailand has a chance to step up to the plate and hit a home run in the eyes of the world. They should take a swing at it.

Thailand did the correct thing.

If they did anything else it would be seen by others as smugglers paradise and it would open the flood gates.

good job thailand. the correct thing to do.

This needs to be seen as a whole-of-ASEAN issue. Shouldn't be on the back of one country or another. You've got wealthy countries like Singapore and Brunei. You've got countries with islands that could be used as processing centres. You've got countries with reasonably well-equipped navies. ASEAN needs to finally work as more than a loose economic association and deal with social, environmental, and political problems that don't stay behind borders.

There are more than 800 islands off the coast of Myanmar. Surely one could be set up with basic facilities to be a processing centre, financed by Singapore and Brunei (yeah, idealistic dreaming on this one). Surely the navies of Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia could coordinate in finding/rescuing refugees at sea and transporting them to such a centre. Perhaps ASEAN could negotiate with Bangladesh and India to take in the migrants where history and culturally similarity will make their adjustment easier. And it would be great if ASEAN could help the Myanmar government address the conflict that has erupted again in Rakhine state in the past few years.

A lot of parts to the puzzle, and none of them particularly probable, but the current individual reactive approach is not going to change anything.

Edited by Docno

I am usually quiet a peaceful person, but I am not ashamed to say this: if this discussion (or the one on similar threads) were not held online but in a pub, chances would be huge that I would hand out some physical comments to some posters.

I can not understand-ever- how you can look at this tragedy and say things like "...but they chose to be on that boat...", "...it is their fault..." and other heartless, inhumane BS!

As with many conflicts and sadnesses in the world the finger eventually points back to the British and the French in Africa and Asia. Myanmar is a particularly unpleasant example of UK plunder and then abandonment. Of course it, along with Bangladesh, is a very complex part of the world linguistically and culturally. However the British basically just pulled up stumps and left. It is not just the Rohingya that are the victims of that decision. The Shans, The Karens and a host of other ethnic groups have suffered decades of strife and murder as a consequence of UK washing their hands of the whole thing. It is, however interesting that no 'pressure' is being brought to bear on Naypidaw by the international community, including China. I suppose they are all just waiting to get their hands on Myanmar's huge natural resources. The Thais and Singapore Chinese are, of course, already ahead of the game in that respect.

In all seriousness people what do we honestly expect these countries to do. Allow these migrants to come into the country therefore opening up a floodgate of thousands and thousands more thinking they can do the same. We should not be focusing the blame on the countries which are not allowing these desperate and starving people to come onto their soil but should in fact be focusing on the countries that are persecuting these people such as Myanmar.

This needs to be seen as a whole-of-ASEAN issue. Shouldn't be on the back of one country or another. You've got wealthy countries like Singapore and Brunei. You've got countries with islands that could be used as processing centres. You've got countries with reasonably well-equipped navies. ASEAN needs to finally work as more than a loose economic association and deal with social, environmental, and political problems that don't stay behind borders.

There are more than 800 islands off the coast of Myanmar. Surely one could be set up with basic facilities to be a processing centre, financed by Singapore and Brunei (yeah, idealistic dreaming on this one). Surely the navies of Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia could coordinate in finding/rescuing refugees at sea and transporting them to such a centre. Perhaps ASEAN could negotiate with Bangladesh and India to take in the migrants where history and culturally similarity will make their adjustment easier. And it would be great if ASEAN could help the Myanmar government address the conflict that has erupted again in Rakhine state in the past few years.

A lot of parts to the puzzle, and none of them particularly probable, but the current individual reactive approach is not going to change anything.

An ASEAN led effort would be a fantastic turn of events! An opportunity for the ASEAN nations to step and show what they can do as a group.

There is no easy or correct answer to whether or not the Thai authorities did the right thing. A country alone with this kind of a situation is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Turn them away and many will die, bring them in and risk the consequences to the country you defend.

We are all quick to accuse but not a one of us is wearing the shoes of the people tasked with making such difficult, but very real, decisions.

Acting as a team, the ASEAN nations can share the burden. The resources available would be huge and the burden of responsibility would be shared. Refugees would be kept alive and ASEAN, a group of Asian countries, would be noticed and recognized as a formidable force in the world.

Bless everyone involved on all sides, people are dieing.