PM axes 45 officials under graft probe with his special powers

Lite Beer

PM axes 45 officials under graft probe with his special powers

5-15-2015-10-33-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Invoking Section 44 of the interim constitution, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has ordered the removal of the first batch of 45 officials and local administrators under investigation of corruption by the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the Office of the Auditor-General and the government sector’s anti-corruption committee.

The high-ranking officials axed include tourism and sports permanent secretary Suwat Sitthilor, tourism department director-general Arnuparb Kasetsuwan, physical education department director-general Pattana Chartkritbovorn, former forest director-general Boonchob Sutthamanaswong, chief inspector-general of finance Sathit Rangkhasiri, Udon Thani governor Noppawat Singsakda.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-axes-45-officials-under-graft-probe-with-his-special-powers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-15

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The corrupt axing the corrupt. I'd love to have a database to cross reference to find out which color of shirt appointed these people. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of their replacements.

Consolidation of power comes to mind.

45 got sacked. I wonder what they did and how much they gained from it. Will they be prosecuted? Bring it out into the media. Many thousands corrupt ones out there. Publicity might convince a lot of them to change their ways.

Only a fair chance of getting caught plus severe punishment can break corruption.

Edited by EricBerg

We can all have confidence the self-appointed Prime Minister has done the right thing. The process is so transparent. It leaves so little doubt.

In other news today, pigs were seen flying over the Chao Phraya river. The Ministry of Mass Confusion announced that the nesting location of the pigs was known with 93% certainty, and that as soon as the pigs could be located, their DNA would be tested to determine their ethnic origin.

"Axed" what does he mean, don't come into work tomorrow.

regards worgeordie

This is it isn't it, is axed the first step with a prosecution to follow, assets seized etc or is it the one and only step ?

Forty five down, thousands to go.

Yes its only 45 but these are the big fish the untouchables . Good on you General after 15 year in thailand i finally see things are happening. Keep going the thai people really need a person like you.

The corrupt axing the corrupt. I'd love to have a database to cross reference to find out which color of shirt appointed these people. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of their replacements.

Interesting point NS.

Now can you tell us how say, the PTP would do things differently if they were in power ?

Some of the wording you used in your post made me think of the Shins for some reason. whistling.gif

Interesting point NS.

Now can you tell us how say, the PTP would do things differently if they were in power ?

Some of the wording you used in your post made me think of the Shins for some reason. whistling.gif

Would the PTP have something like article 44 at their disposal? :) Edited by candide

TRANSFER
45 govt officials transferred over corruption charges
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Utilising the interim charter's draconian Article 44, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha last night approved the transfer of 45 government officials and civil servants found to be involved in corruption.

Included in the list are Tourism and Sport Ministry permanent secretary Suwat Sitthilor; Tourism Department chief Arnupharb Kesornsuwan; Physical Education Department chief Patthana Chartkritboworn; Udon Thani governor Nopphawat Singsakda and Royal Thai Police inspector-general Pol Lt-General Suraphol Thuanthong.

The list, issued under Order 16/2015 of the National Council for Peace and Order's, categorises the 44 officials into five groups: civil servants; public organisations; local administrative bodies; mayors; and head clerks of government agencies. Also included in the transfer list are five district chiefs and three mayors.

The order also lists the ad hoc positions created to accommodate the 44 officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/45-govt-officials-transferred-over-corruption-char-30260231.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-16

Forty five down, thousands to go.

Yes its only 45 but these are the big fish the untouchables . Good on you General after 15 year in thailand i finally see things are happening. Keep going the thai people really need a person like you.

Come On it's still far from clear what axed means and if there's to be seizure of assets and criminal prosecutions.

Just axing someone, be it a transfer or the sack, without following up is an easy way out. There may be reasons why prosecutions will not be entered into and they're not all based on legal requirements. Big fish know all the other big fish.

Interesting point NS.

Would the PTP have something like article 44 at their disposal? smile.png

Hilarious ! Only a fool or someone who knew absolutely nothing about the PTP would know they would not need something like Article 44 to carry out their dodgy deals.

Did they have it when they were trying to sneak amnesty laws through in the middle of the night ? Or when they were handpicking cronies for "certain" positions in government ?

They stank to high heaven, with or without Article 44.

Interesting point NS.

Hilarious ! Only a fool or someone who knew absolutely nothing about the PTP would know they would not need something like Article 44 to carry out their dodgy deals.

Did they have it when they were trying to sneak amnesty laws through in the middle of the night ? Or when they were handpicking cronies for "certain" positions in government ?

The irony being that the things you are whinging about, the amnesty and putting cronies in certain positions, has been repeated by this Govt.....

Not to mention every single Govt in the history of Thailand and possibly the whole world put their cronies in certain positions.

The irony being that the things you are whinging about, the amnesty and putting cronies in certain positions, has been repeated by this Govt.....

Not to mention every single Govt in the history of Thailand and possibly the whole world put their cronies in certain positions.

You are 100% correct Smutty. It is almost impossible to accuse any political party in Thailand of doing something wrong that their opponents have not already tried themselves.

No matter how hard we try the time will come when we are arguing with ourselves, as you and I seem to do a lot.

But it keeps us out of the pool halls. biggrin.png

This is great news, and hopefully the first of many similar positive steps towards a more efficient and accountable state.

Corruption might seem to some people that it is a winner in the short term, but the damage it does to the surrounding mechanisms of state and the confidence of the working population in general, is on such a macro scale that ultimately everyone loses out, even the larcenists. You can't milk a dead cow.

I believe that most military men understand this better than most politicians. A military man knows that you can't have an efficient army if you are stealing their food and basic privileges. The same is true of politics, you can't have a prosperous nation if the workforce is being milked dry by corruption in state. Without regulating to ensure an accountable 'give take' balance, it will always decay into nothing but 'take' and eventually of course, there will be absolutely nothing left for anyone to take, not even for the rascals that caused it all with their corruption.

people here complain about Corruption. Then when something is done about it, they have nothing but negative things to say.

What is wrong with you people.

If they are trying to rid corruption, they should be applauded for it..

Unfortunately, like many things in Thailand, issues like this are met with skepticism. This is understandable given the depth of corruption through most institutions, and the apparent cherry picking/lack of transparency in those being accused of corruption.

Skeptics would look at the accumulated wealth of those currently in power as very questionable, but yet no spotlight is being shone there.

If all the officials dismissed are "Red Shirts" or sympathizers or appointed by the Pheu Thai government than all this is nothing more than routing out the opposition and nothing to do with corruption.

As someone above said...the whole story would be revealed if we knew the affiliation of these officials.

At least the general is doing something positive for the country .

Is he, or just moving the problem and those not in favour out of the way ?

Hit the corrupt hard which means criminal proceedings where if guilty there's real punishment and that's all corrupt not selectively.

Why are his handpicked people's amazing wealth still off limits ?

Utilising the interim charter's draconian Article 44, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha last night approved the transfer of 45 government officials and civil servants

a draconian transfer...meaning no macadamia nuts accompanying the order?...meaning the transfer vehicles were public transport?...meaning they all have to wear a t-shirt saying "inactive post" (I want one of those!)?

Interesting point NS.

Now all we need is the ptp back in power, with a section 44 at their disposal to go after all the corrupt officials of the current angels that do no wrong.

I imagine their would be a quick 2 step coup, before the generals would allow that.

In saying that. I would vote for Mr p in a second, he is certainly opening up the flood gates.