Neighbours won't eat food from my house.

They used to. Used to be very interested in trying whatever I cooked.

Wifey explains it. She says that ever since they saw me arrive back from shopping and take the groceries out from under the motorbike seat, they are put off.

I have had my bottom placed in close proximity above the food.

I asked, "What about a tin of tuna or bottle of milk?" No...they are still tainted.

Now, if Wifey wants to buy something for the neighbours, she has to do a big display when we arrive back in the soi....to show that the food is being carried, and has not been in the under-seat compartment.

Wifey herself has no problems with groceries being carried under the seat. She says the neighbours are old fashioned.

Has anybody else come across this particular aversion? What about other old-fashioned aversions?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems strange but some people have hang ups. Personally, I would stop buying food things for them. I have never had this problem as I have a basket on my motorcycle and not a space under the seat.

OP, I've heard of that before, although I've never experienced it.

So I gave it a try by putting my money in my back pocked, hoping that nobody will accept it.

But I was so wrong.

Nobody flicked an eyelid when they wanted money from me.sad.png

Wishful thinking.

................... I know where and how I will transport alcoholic beverages to my place in the future.

This might discourage a few Thai beverage samplers, that believe in the principle of "self-invitation".

Cheers.

I've often wondered about hygiene of paper money and all the places it goes (and also whether you could literally launder it and recover some cocaine laugh.png ), especially since washing hands after bathroom use doesn't seem too popular here. Every time you flush the toilet the amount of invisible stuff that goes into the air is horrific, sharing food on communal dishes with bare hands etc. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as we're breathing in all kinds of gunk at every moment and I trust my immune system to do its best.

That said, I would prefer that they don't pick their nose so openly, just for aesthetic reasons (this is the part where I have a dig at not being able to use a toothpick in public without having to cover the mouth area).

they might feel more at ease if you wore pants.

Underpants that is....cheesy.gif

SO...where did you carry the Jar of Vegemite???...

Sorry Weegee my old buddy...I took it to you under the seat.

But don't worry.....I had clean undies on that day.

they might feel more at ease if you wore pants.

Underpants that is....

SO...where did you carry the Jar of Vegemite???...

Sorry Weegee my old buddy...I took it to you under the seat.

But don't worry.....I had clean undies on that day.

But would that make the Vegemite any worse? Or perhaps even improve it?

We are in the Pub Section, right?

Edited by impulse

This a problem, why?

Do you enjoy buying food for everyone?

Do they invite you to eat their food?

The neighbours from several different houses constantly invite me/us to eat with them, and several times a week bring food or fruit.

When someones hands me a plate of food, I end up with an empty plate that I have to return....it's bad form to return a plate empty....that is why wifey will buy stuff at the market...to put on a plate to give the plate back.

I used to just cook stuff for them, and yes, I did enjoy showing off my cooking skills.

In my minds eye I see a guy driving up to his driveway. Pulling into the carport, hoping off a Honda PCX and popping the seat up to get the groceries out. Kinda like where I live. Where all the Thai neighbors do the same.......

Has anybody else come across this particular aversion?

Eating food you've been sitting on??

No, but some of the people in America have the five second rule embedded in their tribal culture.

How long were you sitting on it and do you have a reputation in the neighborhood for being flatulent?

In folklore, the five-second rule states that food dropped on the ground will not be significantly contaminated with bacteria if it is picked up within five seconds of being dropped.

Edited by Suradit69