Immigration Moving?

ThaiPauly

From what I understand, they will be housing all of immigration across the road from promenada where the burmese people are now processed.

It is rumoured that they finally have funds to build a new immigration building by the airport.

Seems a bit odd then that immigration would be spending money on fitting out a shop at promenada then doesn't it?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems we have about half a dozen opinions here about what's going to happen to facilitate a new Immigration office that can be a permanent home for many years.

From my experience in this country just wait for it to happen.

From what I understand, they will be housing all of immigration across the road from promenada where the burmese people are now processed.

It is rumoured that they finally have funds to build a new immigration building by the airport.

Seems a bit odd then that immigration would be spending money on fitting out a shop at promenada then doesn't it?

What is odd about that? If indeed they are going to be doing a new build they probably need to move to temp premises while they knock down the old building to make room for the new one.

What is odd about that? If indeed they are going to be doing a new build they probably need to move to temp premises while they knock down the old building to make room for the new one.

Whats odd about it is the money they are spending to fit out a new shop. If it is just temporary it would make more sense to rent a place somewhere else where only a small amount of construction needs to be done. At prom they have to build everything.

Whats odd about it is the money they are spending to fit out a new shop. If it is just temporary it would make more sense to rent a place somewhere else where only a small amount of construction needs to be done. At prom they have to build everything.

but we have no idea of who is building what, who is paying for what and what it is costing to stay in the mall for an indeterminate length of time...

what i do know, from shop owners at the mall, is that the mall has been known to underwrite (or even flat out pay) for some space improvements to entice a tenant

i do know that rent prices to certain establishments have been substantially cut (for at least 6 months) in order to keep the businesses IN the mall

i also would conjecture that the owners would welcome something like immigration and all the foot traffic it would bring to the mall itself and might very well be willing to cut a sweet deal, even if it is short term (while a new immigration building is built elsewhere)...

having said all that... i know nothing for sure, except that the thais will do it their way and in their time... YMMV

I wouldn't get your hopes up... I don't thing they mean the Promenade Mall...

They most likely mean the Immigration office near Promenade Mall where they have the address verification scam...

And if so I hope they at least pave the parking lot... coffee1.gif

Yes, they go into the Promenada building.I got this first hand from organisation staff at Promenada.

As mentioned by me in an earlier thread, Immi have 'the keys' for the area from june first onwards.

When they will start operating there is a second thing.

Chiang Mai's best kept secret no doubt. Reading this thread I get opinions mostly from the perimeter people but nothing from the inner circle which seems strange. Nobody with links/direct contact to the Immigration office has been forthcoming. Does April fools come twice a year or are we just dancing around the Maypole.

You have a good point there. So far it is just I have heard. The OP says all of the operations and from the original thread on the

Promenada in the end days. There was another version.

kaptainrob, on 14 May 2015 - 17:16, said:

I had confirmation today that CNX Immi is moving the Visa Extensions/Reporting office to Promenada "next month".

Certainly a lot of room for different understandings. It how ever is good news in that they are hiring new staff. Confirmed according to a poster that they are training one new staff. We know they have permission for 15 and chances are real good that if they are training one they are training others. Even one would make a difference. As it sits now there is only two doing the permission to stay another year. One more would increase their speed by 33%.

Any way you look at it or what ever they do it has should be an improvement.

Immigration will be located directly below Tom n Toms. Directly next to it will be an office. And next to that a copy shop. The Burmese building across the street will remain.

The current immigration will have it's last day on the 12th of June. On the 15th they will be at Promenada.

There is direct access to the parking garage from that location, so immigration can open at anytime they see fit.

I know the gm at Promenada, so this is accurate.

They manage to open the grocery stores in the malls several hours before the rest of the mall opens, so I expect they'll be able to do the same with the Immigration office.

I see that the opening hours for the grocery store at Maya Mall have now changed to 10:00 am.

Immigration will be located directly below Tom n Toms. Directly next to it will be an office. And next to that a copy shop. The Burmese building across the street will remain.

The current immigration will have it's last day on the 12th of June. On the 15th they will be at Promenada.

There is direct access to the parking garage from that location, so immigration can open at anytime they see fit.

I have heard that moving to a larger premises is under consideration. This may involve either a specific section or the whole Immigration department.

As for this happening next month, I wouldn`t raise your hopes on this one. Regarding the improvement of so-called on-line services and better general facilities, the chaos will continue until a definite decision is made, the go ahead approved with budgeting and accomplished. In my opinion it won`t be happening soon, but hoping I am wrong.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I personally believe that how people dress does have an influence on the ways they are viewed and treated

It`s a case of first impressions and if ex-pats turn up at Immigration dressed like slobs, then they will be considered as slobs

Keeping up appearances determines people`s attitudes towards us and the levels of credibility they bestow upon us.

Once it is all confirmed as to which building it really is, start date, address ,etc., it might be worth a detailed article here. No doubt there will be many living outside Chiangmai who won't know where these places are without some guidance from fora such as TV.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed

Once it is all confirmed as to which building it really is, start date, address ,etc., it might be worth a detailed article here. No doubt there will be many living outside Chiangmai who won't know where these places are without some guidance from fora such as TV.

Oh please Bob -- this isn't a journalistic news source with graduates of Columbia going out to track hot leads and write carefully vetted articles.

Thanks for volunteering. We look forward to your article.

Not doubt a Pulitzer will follow.

A trip yesterday to CM gave me a chance to take a look see.

It looks to provide a great deal more parking and access to diversions while waiting one's turn. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Still, the location was not one I would have found easily on a hectic day of making it there early to extend my visa, and to help others visualize the location - here is a Ground Floor diagram extracted from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=926368&page=7

post-68308-0-21706900-1432186029_thumb.j

For those unfamiliar with where the Promenade Mall is located, The mall website links to

Google Maps at https://www.google.com/maps/place/Promenada+Resort+Mall+Chiang+Mai/@18.7667723,99.0368014,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6bf2838de804a854?hl=en

A couple of for sures and a whole lot of speculation and complaints about dress code it feels like being back in high school. Hopefully someone or somebody will get the straight scoop and inform us all.

A couple of for sures and a whole lot of speculation and complaints about dress code it feels like being back in high school. Hopefully someone or somebody will get the straight scoop and inform us all.

This.

Although multiple people have confirmed the move by talking with immigration and promenada you would think an official announcement would of been made by immigration by now.....then again.... actually the more I think that through its no suprise at all!

A trip yesterday to CM gave me a chance to take a look see.

It looks to provide a great deal more parking and access to diversions while waiting one's turn. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Still, the location was not one I would have found easily on a hectic day of making it there early to extend my visa, and to help others visualize the location - here is a Ground Floor diagram extracted from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=926368&page=7

attachicon.gifGroundFloor-1.jpg

For those unfamiliar with where the Promenade Mall is located, The mall website links to

Google Maps at https://www.google.com/maps/place/Promenada+Resort+Mall+Chiang+Mai/@18.7667723,99.0368014,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6bf2838de804a854?hl=en

So looking at the map, it looks like it will be located a floor below the Dukes, is that correct?

So looking at the map, it looks like it will be located a floor below the Dukes, is that correct?

2 floors below. Tom n toms is directly below dukes and immigration is under tom n toms

Edited by maanoi

I was checking out the units at the Promenada that have been suggested here as the new location for Immigration. There are 2 or 3 empty units there. One of the units contains a long desk, as you can see from the photo, but the other units are completely empty. My wife asked the girl who was sweeping the terrace outside the units, and she was told that there had been no work done there for a few weeks.

I fail to see how this is going to be ready for next month, but who knows in Thailand.

post-4264-0-37571200-1432224174_thumb.jp

^ Looking better than the old shack already biggrin.png though not much fit-out required if utilising old desks and equipment. One service counter and the Captains office partitioning should not take long to erect ... we'll have to wait and see.