retirement visa

SEO

If you currently have an O visa in your passport then you're not going to get your "first retirement visa", but rather you're going to extend your permission to stay due to retirement and get a 12-month permission to stay. Most retirees who do this process every year call it "renewing their retirement visa", but their visa died long ago and what they're really doing is continuing to extend their permission to stay each year.

I know this may seem like nit-picking, but it can be important to use the correct terms. Even so, Chiang Mai Immigration doesn't set a shining example, either. For example, when you go out there the morning you want to take care of this (and you'll need to get out there around 5 am to be assured of being seen that day) they'll say "what do you want to do" If you say, "get retirement extension" and show them your O visa you'll be correct, but had you said "get retirement visa" and shown them the O visa, they would have understood.

Anyway, the document you should fill out before you get there is the TM7 form, from the list in the previous post. Be sure to affix the photo required -- a recent photo. If you print it at home, it should be printed two-sided, not on two sheets of paper. Also, you'll need proof of either your monthly income in the form of an Income letter form your Consulate/Embassy or a letter from your bank if you're using the 800,000 baht Thai bank account method. They also will want to see evidence of where you live. A lease agreement, letter from your guest house/condo/ landlord/ wife's blue book or whatever those special books are called are all suitable. They just want to know that you indeed are entitled to obtain your retirement extension in CM province, although I don't know why anyone would put up with getting an extension in this province if they had any ties to another province and could do it elsewhere. They may ask more questions to justify your income if you use the Income Letter, so it's a good idea to bring some backup documents, but don't offer those. Just have 'em ready if they ask.

And they'll want copies of your passport photo page, and recent reports have been that they want a copy of every page in your passport that has a stamp on it, even if it's not related to Thailand. I don't recall that. I've just had them ask for copes of pages with stamps related to Thailand, but you never know. Just one copy of each page is needed. Sign and date each copy page before you go.

Bring a book and a good attitude because you're in a for a long wait. Oh and come early, like at 5 am.

Yes,I've got O visa.Sorry but couldn't find these information on immigration website.

Yes, immi website is useless.

Plenty of info if you simply paste the url in to Google translate, it's not difficult.

It appears that clicking on the flags on site to change language do not work, probably just needs someone to activate the widget, a few second job.

If you currently have an O visa in your passport then you're not going to get your "first retirement visa", but rather you're going to extend your permission to stay due to retirement and get a 12-month permission to stay. Most retirees who do this process every year call it "renewing their retirement visa", but their visa died long ago and what they're really doing is continuing to extend their permission to stay each year.

I know this may seem like nit-picking, but it can be important to use the correct terms. Even so, Chiang Mai Immigration doesn't set a shining example, either. For example, when you go out there the morning you want to take care of this (and you'll need to get out there around 5 am to be assured of being seen that day) they'll say "what do you want to do" If you say, "get retirement extension" and show them your O visa you'll be correct, but had you said "get retirement visa" and shown them the O visa, they would have understood.

Anyway, the document you should fill out before you get there is the TM7 form, from the list in the previous post. Be sure to affix the photo required -- a recent photo. If you print it at home, it should be printed two-sided, not on two sheets of paper. Also, you'll need proof of either your monthly income in the form of an Income letter form your Consulate/Embassy or a letter from your bank if you're using the 800,000 baht Thai bank account method. They also will want to see evidence of where you live. A lease agreement, letter from your guest house/condo/ landlord/ wife's blue book or whatever those special books are called are all suitable. They just want to know that you indeed are entitled to obtain your retirement extension in CM province, although I don't know why anyone would put up with getting an extension in this province if they had any ties to another province and could do it elsewhere. They may ask more questions to justify your income if you use the Income Letter, so it's a good idea to bring some backup documents, but don't offer those. Just have 'em ready if they ask.

And they'll want copies of your passport photo page, and recent reports have been that they want a copy of every page in your passport that has a stamp on it, even if it's not related to Thailand. I don't recall that. I've just had them ask for copes of pages with stamps related to Thailand, but you never know. Just one copy of each page is needed. Sign and date each copy page before you go.

Bring a book and a good attitude because you're in a for a long wait. Oh and come early, like at 5 am.

I believe you have nailed it

You know how the system works

Hopefully after my 1st year, next year i will have to do all this

Who know where

I always have copies of my guaranteed income from the various sources. I have never been asked for them. I once tried to show them but they were not interested. Never the less I carry them in with me in a manila envelop. I might be wrong but I feel it is impressive to them.

You're right in bringing the back-up documents, NorthernJohn. Heck, they even can question you when you use the 800,000 baht bank account method. I have an account that I opened when I arrived and haven't touched, except to withdraw interest every few years. One time, the Immigration officer asked what money I use for living since I never touch the money in that bank account. I told him my husband's pension was adequate for both of us and said "would you like to see?", pulling out and opening another bank passbook, with our joint account. That was the one with tons of transactions. He glanced at it and just waved it away.

You're right in bringing the back-up documents, NorthernJohn. Heck, they even can question you when you use the 800,000 baht bank account method. I have an account that I opened when I arrived and haven't touched, except to withdraw interest every few years. One time, the Immigration officer asked what money I use for living since I never touch the money in that bank account. I told him my husband's pension was adequate for both of us and said "would you like to see?", pulling out and opening another bank passbook, with our joint account. That was the one with tons of transactions. He glanced at it and just waved it away.

There are numerous immigration offices in Thailand that will not accept just your bank letter or embassy letter as proof of income without other sources of finical support inside Thailand. This also applies to fix deposits and foreign currency accounts.

There are numerous immigration offices in Thailand that will not accept just your bank letter or embassy letter as proof of income without other sources of finical support inside Thailand. This also applies to fix deposits and foreign currency accounts.

Yes, it's well-documented on the Visa forum that many offices do want to see regular evidence of funds coming into Thailand even if you use an Embassy Income Letter or have 800,000 baht parked in a Thai bank, but Chiang Mai isn't one of them, normally. But they can and do ask on an irregular basis and it's good to bring some documentation with you.

I usually have backup documentation with me, but when asked say that I don't. I always get the "NEXT TIME make sure you bring it" statement.

Here we go again.

Do you mean your first O-A visa from your home country or your first annual extension based on retirement?

Do you currently have an O visa (or O-A) in your passport?

Rite of you confuse the issue.

He very clearly stated his first retirement visa.

I had a friend who had to do it twice.

The first time in Portland Oregon and the second time here. He let it expire.

Yes, it's well-documented on the Visa forum that many offices do want to see regular evidence of funds coming into Thailand even if you use an Embassy Income Letter or have 800,000 baht parked in a Thai bank, but Chiang Mai isn't one of them, normally. But they can and do ask on an irregular basis and it's good to bring some documentation with you.

Just to bring every one up to speed this is the Chiang Mai Forum not the Thailand Forum.

Even on that one I would not trust the information to apply tio the office I was using. I hear the rumors of them but I stick to the Chiang Mai one. The only thing I have heard here is the marrage ones can be different from almost day to day.

Here we go again.

Do you mean your first O-A visa from your home country or your first annual extension based on retirement?

Retirement visas are not available in Thailand.

In home countries, you can get O-A visas which are sometimes called Long Stay or Retirement visas.

In Thailand, you can get annual extensions based on retirement.

You can also do conversions to a 90 day O visa for the purpose of later applying for an annual retirement extension.

In this case just saying retirement visa was not enough info.

The OP did need to be clarified.

Cheers.

Here we go again.

Retirement visas are not available in Thailand.

In home countries, you can get O-A visas which are sometimes called Long Stay or Retirement visas.

In Thailand, you can get annual extensions based on retirement.

You can also do conversions to a 90 day O visa for the purpose of later applying for an annual retirement extension.

In this case just saying retirement visa was not enough info.

The OP did need to be clarified.

Cheers.

Well that explains why mine says retirement Visa I got it in Vancouver Canada. It very clearly says Retirement on it.