Who likes Vietnamese?

kaptainrob

Friends noticed this little gem of a restaurant not far from Promenada so we checked it out for lunch, yesterday. Pho Anh is located in the relatively new Business Centre near the 3029 ring road and Superhighway intersection/overpass.

Refer TripAdvisor or Facebook for a detailed map but heading south on 3029, pass under the Promenada intersection and continue toward Hang Dong ... Business Centre 2 is on left before the bend and #11 access.

Open from 11am daily Pho Anh is not big on seating although the menu is easy to browse, Owners speak excellent English, she's Thai, he's Vietnamese by way of USA. Food is freshly prepared and very tasty. I can recommend the beef stew [bo Kho], more a soup really, slow cooked for 5 hours the broth almost clear ... awesome flavours.

If you've already eaten at The Dukes or Ragu for lunch, why not swing past and grab some take home at Pho Anh.

Edited by kaptainrob

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try This on Google Maps. The buildings don't show up on street view as they are too new. There are pics of the interior showing modern and clean interior that is air-conditioned and a selection of the dishes on offer - looks pretty good.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Promenada+Resort+Mall+Chiang+Mai/@18.755549,99.03699,17z/data=!4m3!3m2!1s0x30da2f92904e1e09:0x6bf2838de804a854!4b1

Try This on Google Maps. The buildings don't show up on street view as they are too new. There are pics of the interior showing modern and clean interior that is air-conditioned and a selection of the dishes on offer - looks pretty good.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Promenada+Resort+Mall+Chiang+Mai/@18.755549,99.03699,17z/data=!4m3!3m2!1s0x30da2f92904e1e09:0x6bf2838de804a854!4b1

Thanks MH, the photos depict quality of presentation surpassed only by the subtle flavours ... yum yum!

I agree! It's great. They offer a sub/sandwich for 90 baht that I really love... I was there yesterday too.

What's in a Vietnamese sub sandwich?

I don't really even know, to be truthful.. You have a choice of chicken or pork, and I always get pork, but other than that, I'm not sure what is in it.. There are definitely some spicy peppers. It really smells good, and the bread is nice and fresh. The (thai) wife really likes them too. Give it a try, can't go wrong at 90 baht.

I inhaled mine yesterday.. Rob were you there around 5 or 6 yesterday? I saw a farang with a baby carriage while I was in there, that looked a bit like your profile pic.

The ThaiVisa jokesters really are pathetically unfunny as a whole. The wonderful jokes in this thread playing off the fact that OP left "food" off of the title after 'Vietnamese' show just how people will go out of their way to make a try for a laugh. It reminds me of a lot of the times a farang around Chiang Mai will make some attempt at humor, and then accuse me of being a bit stiff or dull because I didn't get their joke. I got the joke pal, it just wasn't least bit funny. Your fault, not mine.

The ThaiVisa jokesters really are pathetically unfunny as a whole. The wonderful jokes in this thread playing off the fact that OP left "food" off of the title after 'Vietnamese' show just how people will go out of their way to make a try for a laugh. It reminds me of a lot of the times a farang around Chiang Mai will make some attempt at humor, and then accuse me of being a bit stiff or dull because I didn't get their joke. I got the joke pal, it just wasn't least bit funny. Your fault, not mine.

If just one person smiles,its worth it,better than making people grumpy !

I suppose a lot of humour may just float over your head,if you did not

find it the least bit funny,your fault,pal,not mine.

regards Worgeordie

Been eating there off and on since they opened, every meal was perfect , clean , quality food and plenty of it for fair price. Great place to eat when u start getting tired of the normal thai rice dishes and want a little something different...

I agree! It's great. They offer a sub/sandwich for 90 baht that I really love... I was there yesterday too.

The enclosed photo shows the classic Banh Mi sandwich. Every place has their own version. The place in C.M. mentioned above uses a good selection of veggies and chili, really tender grilled pork, pate, and some really tasty sauces. Their bread is the best French bread I've had in C.M. It's crispy outside and soft inside.

They have very nice versions of these sandwiches in Laos also.

post-49932-0-31464100-1431859693_thumb.j

@Larry - We were there for lunch.

I purposely left the word food or cuisine out of the title .... TV threads seem to wander toward burgers, pizza or sex (all same same) regardless.

Think I'll try the sub next visit, the french bread really is that good.

The enclosed photo shows the classic Banh Mi sandwich. Every place has their own version. The place in C.M. mentioned above uses a good selection of veggies and chili, really tender grilled pork, pate, and some really tasty sauces. Their bread is the best French bread I've had in C.M. It's crispy outside and soft inside.

Are the ones in Vietnam anything like this now? When I used to live/travel there a lot, they were nothing like this. They had either terrible, cheap lunch meat or terrible, cheap pate with cheap, processed cheese French Cheese (that wasn't bad). The bread was best part and they were great with an omelet and fresh-pressed coffee in the morning.

Ban Mhi 's are great and one thing that CM lacks. If this place's bread is half as good as Vietnamese or Lao baguettes, then great. Surprised they never made it here ... a downside of not being colonised I guess! ... but they were mentioned in a BP article about recent food imports... Meechoke is the only version I've found.

I was in VN recently and the ones there were fantastic .... might be some so-so incgedients stuffed in but overall a very healthy bite.

Probably too light for sub lovers.

That map works, but other directions/tips to find the place welcome.

Ban Mhi 's are great and one thing that CM lacks. If this place's bread is half as good as Vietnamese or Lao baguettes, then great. Surprised they never made it here ... a downside of not being colonised I guess! ... but they were mentioned in a BP article about recent food imports... Meechoke is the only version I've found.

I was in VN recently and the ones there were fantastic .... might be some so-so incgedients stuffed in but overall a very healthy bite.

Probably too light for sub lovers.

That map works, but other directions/tips to find the place welcome.

These are way better than the ones at Meechok. Actually, the ones at Meechok have, in all fairness, gotten better. I don't know what they are doing differently now other than make them about 20% larger than before and raised the price a little, but they seem to be better now. But they put too much of this sweet kind of sauce on them and not enough veggies. But they are not bad. But Poh Anh are better.

Baan Mii.. Superb and while his are lacking the pate and sometimes pickled veg.. They are a great value offering..

I go there a couple of times a month, its out my side of the city.. Last visit I heard him negotiating very cautiously on a long term lease of a property with a Thai women, so its possible they are looking to move or expand. I always thought they were much too good for that simple shophouse out on the highway.

Called Bahn mi thit or in Australia, a Vietnamese pork roll. Every Vietnamese bakery sells them and as most small bakeries are Vietnamese you can buy them all over the place. Aloi mak mak. I presume it is the same in a lot of western countries where there are Vietnamese immigrants.

To make a bahn mi thit roll, spread ¼ of the pate on one cut side of each baguette and ¼ of the mayonnaise on the other half. Add four generous slices of roast pork. Add sliced cucumber, pickled carrot, coriander leaves, spring onions and chilli slices if desired. Sprinkle with soy sauce and fish sauce and close.

Edited by Saan

The Banh Mi is a wonderful treat. I bought this book and I've been salivating ever since due to the fact that I can't find the bread and my attempts at making have proven unsuccessful.

However, I shall get it right one day!

http://www.amazon.com/Banh-Handbook-Crazy-Delicious-Vietnamese-Sandwiches/dp/160774533X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432211745&sr=8-1&keywords=banh+mi

Had to see what all the chatter was about and glad I did. Real nice tasting sandwich and for 90 bht that filled me up.

Unlike what others posted here mine was served with in-house made pate and didn't have spicy chilles (but there was a chili spread on the table).

Shared it with the missus with their most popular dish, Vermicelli with grilled pork and egg rolls (Bún chả giò thịt nướng).

Both great, try it you'll like it :)

post-101742-0-61104400-1432346549_thumb.

Looks very delicious.