Medical insurance for retirees in Chiang Mai....any help?

mikey88

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best approach is to work through an insurance broker, there is no charge for this and they will provide you with comparative charts of policies that meet your criteria.

Personally I used AOC brokers.

I know for sure that Cigna (UK), AXA, Aetna, ALC and Globality all will enroll elderly people (i.e. 80 and in some cases up to 100 years old)and there may be others as well. These are internationally-based policies and offer varying premiums depending on whether you accept a deductible, copay etc.

There are any number of reliable international insurance brokers that are easily consulted on-line for international coverage. If you are dealng with a Thai company, be prepared to understand Thai. Why should you expect otherwise?

Otherwise, pounding away on-line, you will find that insurance for older people, especially those with preexisting conditions, is either unavailable or only available at very, very high rates. What is surprising about that? It is not Christmas morning in Chiang Mai.

Here is some back story for those who have not been in Chiang Mai very long. Several months ago, there was an ill-interpreted and ill-presented program that all foreigners would be covered under the most basic national ("30-bhat") Thai health program. For farang it actually had a short life span in Chiang Mai centered, primarily on Nakorn Ping hospital. Several indigent farang in poor and sometimes alarmingly serious or chronic ill health apparently shocked local health authorities. It was discovered that local authorities had misinterpreted the program devised by the Ministry of Health to cover ASEAN citizens working and living in Thailand, not the ort of long-stay non-immigrants who post here. Some posters, on other threads, have chosen to castigate Thailand for that unfortunate boondoggle as some sort of devious discriminatory xenophobic Thai plot aimed at farang. It wasn't, obviously, but It was a sobering experience for some innocents who should have known better including those who touted the program. So, OP, so much for a government program of medical insurance for foreign retirees in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Mapguy

Could you give an example for say a 55 yo male....premium/deductible/limits and ratings of company? Also what companies will pay what hospitals direct?

Hello you can contact me through mpadilla@akarabrokerinsurance so I can send you a personal quote and also I can send you the list of hospitals. :)

Just saw a new big sign at Kasikorn for Accident Insurance 2,500 baht for 3 million of coverage for accidents seems like a good deal but of course its all in thai so no real way of understanding on what your getting

If it is 2500 per year, the 3 million is a death benefit. Medical coverage will be less than 50,000 thb. BKK Bank sells similar products. I spoke with MisterPrakan, and they might be one of the better alternatives mentioned here. They at least have a direct billing relationship with many Thai hospitals, including RAM, Lanna, and McCormick.

If it is 2500 per year, the 3 million is a death benefit. Medical coverage will be less than 50,000 thb. BKK Bank sells similar products. I spoke with MisterPrakan, and they might be one of the better alternatives mentioned here. They at least have a direct billing relationship with many Thai hospitals, including RAM, Lanna, and McCormick.

So If I get killed in a Motorcycle my family gets 3 million ?? if so thats not bad even if the medical coverage is not even enough for a minor accident

I checked his website out and to me it does not portray a very professional image on his about us page it basically says nothing who he is or which compnaies he insures under

His site is a wordpress site which is fine but at least finish it and remove ref to wordpress

If I am going to pay people I want to know who I am paying and this site is completely anonymous which give the reader no confidence that you are dealing with a legit person or company

Best PA I found was from AA Insurance Brokers - had medical expenses of 600,000 Baht (which is the most important benefit in any PA)

way too low IMO. 2 - 5 million should be the levrl depending on whether using only hovt hospitals (2 mill enough) or want to use private (5 mill if using top tier hospitals)

I checked his website out and to me it does not portray a very professional image on his about us page it basically says nothing who he is or which compnaies he insures under

His site is a wordpress site which is fine but at least finish it and remove ref to wordpress

If I am going to pay people I want to know who I am paying and this site is completely anonymous which give the reader no confidence that you are dealing with a legit person or company

Hello Mr. Wolfe,

I understand your concerns and we will try to fix the website as soon as possible. We have just started with expanding to foreign clients 4 months ago so we're still trying to perfect our system. Bear in mind our Health Insurance is legitimate. The one we promote a lot are health plans from LMG which is Liberty Mutual Group. It is also said in out home page that our insurer is LMG. But we have choices of different ones too just in case a client does not want LMG.

Again I apologize for this and our IT guy will be fixing this for us as soon as possible. Thank you for your suggestions it is appreciated.