Phuket speed boat captain dies in motorbike crash

webfact

Phuket speed boat captain dies in motorbike crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1431929355_1-org.jpg
Two vehicles in front of Mr Waroh braked quickly causing him to ride into the back of the minivan.

PHUKET: -- A Thai man was killed instantly this morning (May 18) when he drove his motorbike into the back of a minivan in Pa Khlok.

Thalang police were today called to the scene of an accident in Pa Khlok, about 100 metres away from the entrance of the Baan Pa Khlok Almshouse, where a motorbike had crashed into the rear of a minivan.

Upon arrival at the scene police and Kusoldharm rescue workers found the body of Satun native Nan Waroh, 68, a speed boat captain for JP Andaman Company lying in the road with serious wounds to his head.

When questioned by police, the minivan driver Thanawat Mardkla, 28, said that he was on his way to Ao Por when a six-wheeler truck in front of him suddenly braked, this caused him to do the same and for Mr Waroh, who was riding behind him, to crash into the back of him, he was not wearing a helmet.

Mr Waroh̕s body has been taken to Thalang Hospital for autopsy and will later be returned to his family so they can perform funeral rites.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-speed-boat-captain-dies-in-motorbike-crash-52367.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-18

Yeah, well, not wearing a helmet usually does lead to "serious head injuries".

Oh, well, one less idiot on the roads.

And that's not "Thai bashing". It applies to ANY idiot, in ANY country. No helmet = Pure Stupidity!

If the van driver and the deceased had any spacial awareness, he would probably still be alive. How long he would have remained alive is another question.

What happened to the wear a helmet campaign ?

Well it seems the van driver had enough awareness to not rear end the truck ahead of him... nothing you can do about the guy behind, don't get your point, maybe just T-bashing?

Edited by daoyai

If the van driver and the deceased had any spacial awareness, he would probably still be alive. How long he would have remained alive is another question.

Well it seems the van driver had enough awareness to not rear end the truck ahead of him... nothing you can do about the guy behind, don't get your point, maybe just T-bashing?

No you obviously don't... But I'll try to explain it to you :)

If the van driver had been driving at a reasonable distance and at a safe speed, he would have been able to slow down and then stop. But no, he had to slam his brakes on.

Same applies to the bike rider, except his brakes weren't as effective as the vans..

Get it now or were you just flaming :)

Irrespective, the driver/rider following by law is supposed to maintain a "braking distance that will allow him to safely stop" Period! oh and wearing a helmet is also required by law. You cannot blame the vehicle in front for stopping too quickly.

I don't want to appear unsympathetic. But, look at the OP. There appears to be oceans of room on the left of the van. Why would a motorcyclist be tailgating (If that is what he was doing) right behind the centre of the van.

Curious, and I only ask because I ride a bike here - like many, and would certainly be to the left of that van, if you follow my meaning.

I don't want to appear unsympathetic. But, look at the OP. There appears to be oceans of room on the left of the van. Why would a motorcyclist be tailgating (If that is what he was doing) right behind the centre of the van.

Curious, and I only ask because I ride a bike here - like many, and would certainly be to the left of that van, if you follow my meaning.

Maybe he wanted to overtake. And yes, can be done on the left, but if there is not much space on the left (and no room to make an evasive maneuver of necessary) I prefer to overtake on the right.

Or there could have been another vehicle there, or maybe even someone walking.

Keep a safe distance yada yada yada.

The problem with that is if you do leave a safe distance, someone always inserts themselves in it.

So? Plus not that likely on that stretch of road.

Yeah, well, not wearing a helmet usually does lead to "serious head injuries".

Oh, well, one less idiot on the roads.

And that's not "Thai bashing". It applies to ANY idiot, in ANY country. No helmet = Pure Stupidity!

When I ask my Thai friends if they know the "2 seconds" rule....you can imagine the blank looks I get in return

Correct tender son :)

Wear a helmet slow down use your brain... I bet he never had a licence. I obviously a falang and I do have a licence and do wear va helmet.

Oh so sorry officer you can not take my money. I see the whole family with a bay slung over the front bars waiting to be splattered !

Makes me sick great parenting and where is the law. Oh busy looking for falang. Start protecting LIVES in your own country. ASnd remove the Thai cowboys off the roads

No you obviously don't... But I'll try to explain it to you :)

If the van driver had been driving at a reasonable distance and at a safe speed, he would have been able to slow down and then stop. But no, he had to slam his brakes on.

Same applies to the bike rider, except his brakes weren't as effective as the vans..

Get it now or were you just flaming :)

My reading of this is that the van driver was driving safely within the stopping distance capability of his vehicle, the bike behind wasn't.

Many years ago whilst driving in the UK a police van travelling behind me switched on its blue lights to stop me. I stopped and listened to the screeching of tires as the police van came to a standstill less than 1 metre from my rear bumper. The thing was, my car was one of the early ABS vehicles and the policeman hadn't ever even heard of such a thing as being able to stop rapidly without risk of skidding. Guaranteed that police man and his passenger revised their stopping distance until they too were using vehicles with ABS.

i think part of a motorbike test should be, the candidate should have to bash their head against a brick wall a few times to see if it hurts, then maybe it would be taken on board. ok so i am peeing in the wind.. just a thought

i think part of a motorbike test should be, the candidate should have to bash their head against a brick wall a few times to see if it hurts, then maybe it would be taken on board. ok so i am peeing in the wind.. just a thought

Yeh but that idea is flawed as what percentage of Thai riders have a licence to begin with?

Rider at fault, vehicle in front can stop, is for you to stop safely behind (but then thats in a world where you must have a 'Real' driving test and correct training before hand) no helmet, shorts/singlet and was probably going too fast, smoking a fag and on the phone at same time...

RIP to the bloke anyway is still a sad state of affairs...