Best way to go to Savannakhet

Hi,

Im planning my visa trip for a non imm 'O' based upon marriage to Savannakhet, but what is the best way to get there, by plane preferable, i live in CM. Any advice is welcome, I'm married to a Thai woman and have a child with her as well. I don't have the 400k in bank yet but I will within the next couple months.
Thx!

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom from Bangkok.

You could fly from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani and then go by bus to Mukdahan.

You can also fly on Lao Airways from BKK directly to Savannakhet.

• Thanks 1

I assume it's best from CM to go to udon thani and then take the bus right? This way i don't have to book to bangkok first.
Then from udon thani airport to udon thani bus station or can i just take a taxi from the airport there ? I see the bus station is still 6km from the airport.
Then get a busticket to Mukdahan for about 4hours. Once there i ask for a taxi to savannakhet right which will bring me to the friendship bridge II where i need to apply for a Lao visa on arrival and then go to the hotel i booked.
Apply the next morning at Thai consulate, pick up in afternoon 2pm, head straight back to friendship bridge, back to mukdahan bus station -> then to udon thani bustation -> airport udon thani ->CM
It should take me 3days in total then.

Correct me if im wrong, much appreciated for the very fast and reliable help ubonjoe!

Edited by SuengTueng

Then get a busticket to Mukdahan for about 4hours. Once there i ask for a taxi to savannakhet right which will bring me to the friendship bridge...

No need to find one of the very few taxis in Mukdahan. They will drop you at the border anyway and you will have to make your way from there to Savannakhet on your own.

There is a shuttle bus service from the Mukdahan bus station straight to Savannakhet (every 30 or 60 minutes, not really sure about the timetable).

Probably you will have to change the bus at the bridge because the one you arrived on may be not willing to wait for all your paperwork to be done (which is more than the Thais have to do). If so, simply wait for the next one. It will take you straight to Savannakhet.

Several points, assuming you fly CM-Udon then bus to Mukdahan:

- Once at Mukdahan bus station you will find regular, half-hourly buses (50 Baht) that take you right to Savannakhet bus station (note: they will not drop you at the Thai consulate after entering Lao, despite passing right by it). En route, the bus will stop to let you off to stamp out of Thailand, take you across the bridge where you buy your Lao visa at special window before immigration (have US$35 in newish notes ready - or 1500 Baht [a less thrifty option]), then stamp into Lao. After that you board the bus again (or, if it hasn't waited, the next bus), to go to the downtown bus station. Or you can take a tuk tuk direct to the Thai consulate from the Lao border, but note that the tuk tuk boys are gougers here. From the bus station you can walk to Thai consulate (10-15mins) or, if hot, take tuk tuk (about 6k kip/40 Baht)

- Note that you'll need to arrange to arrive at the Thai consulate before 11am, when visa applications close for the day. That means leaving Mukdahan on the bus no later than about 8.30-9am, so you'll need to finesse your flight to Udon/ bus to Mukdahan to achieve this, or else overnight in Mukdahan.

- Visa pick up is now next day at 2pm. THERE IS NO SAME DAY SERVICE ANY MORE. Therefore you'll need also to overnight in Savannakhet.

You may wish to consider an overnight bus all the way CM-Mukdahan, to arrive early morning Mukdahan to connect as above. That may be a better proposition timing-wise than fly/bus.

• Like 1

Looking at nokair, the flights arrive from CM to Udon in the late afternoon, the bridge closes to tourists at 5 or 6.

I would say you will be looking at a long trip, I think it's necessary to cross the bridge by 10.00 am ( preferably before ) to enable you to present your passport to the consulate.

And correct, the same day service is gone.

I thought the airasia shuttle from Nakhon panhom was really good, it meant having to stay in mukdahan for one night, but sets you up to get the first bus in the morning.

To get home you could go via udon but I don't know about the same day, the flights leave at 6.30 pm, which would be ok if you stayed in Laos a further night, take a leisurely breakfast, crossed the bridge and caught the hourly bus to udon.

I don't see any way to do this comfortably - I think you will have nights in hotels waiting for your next move and a fair bit waiting around for flights to leave.

Nothing really sync'd for me either, I live in the south, next time I'm riding my motorbike.

Riding your motorbike (if you have one) is actually a good option for many, unless you live in South Thailand.

If you own the bike and bring your green book you can take your bike into Savanakhet.

I have also taken my car, relatively simple at the border.

Edited by technologybytes

Done some research and it seems going with plane is just better even tho i need to stay the night when arrive mukdahan.
Not looking forward to take a 18hour bustrip, CM-KK , KK-Mukdahan (arriving 6am KK)
Hurrying to arrive before 11am to do same day at thai consulate, being tired from the bustrip.

If i book plane ticket CM-BKK, then BKK-Nakhon Phanom, ride service to Mukdahan with nokair fly n ride, sleep in mukdahan, cross bridge at 8am, enter into Savannakhet, be in time at consulate.
I think the bridge opens 8am right, so that would leave me enough time to get to consulate before 11am I assume.

Then pickup passport next day 2pm, taxi to Mukdahan hotel, stay the night, ride to Nakhon Phanom airport ->bkk->CM

In total it would take me 4days to do the trip, so it isnt that bad i think. Correct me if im wrong.

I just bought a car, but nobody can drive me go there since i dont have driving license yet and my wife needs to take care our newborn.

EDIT; Question unrelated to thread, but do i need to cancel my ED visa extension before going to Savannakhet ? I used up all entries, my classes finish this month and currently on my last extension of stay valid until 14june.

Edited by SuengTueng

Ive just done the same run from Phuket for a non O marriage multiple entry.

Flew and mini bused with Nok air.

Bkk to Nakhon Phanom, mini bus (very comfortable) to the bridge, taxi or tuk tuk over the bridge to Savan.

DONT STAY AT SAVANVAGAS, its a rip off, Daosavanh resort's nice or Hoongthip hotel's ok.

Grab a bottle of water an umbrella and get to the consulate in Savannakhet about an hour early, the sign says it opens at 0830 but It doesn't really open until 0900 or just after.

Once the gate opens your'l go to a window and hand over your docs and money (5000 for multi-entry, I think it said 2000 for single), they'l give you a numbered slip of paper.

When you go to pick up your visa the following day get the an hour early, take a bottle of water and umbrella just i case.

As the flight to BKK from Nakhon Phanom is 12 noon daily I stayed at the night at the Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan(the Nok air mini bus for the return to Nakhon Phanom stops there for a pick up at 0915 each morning)

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1

Fly and drive Nokair to Nakhon Phanom then Mukdahan. Stay at the Riverside hotel. Nice. Up early to Savannaket. Bus over the border. Take passport photos. Go to the consulate at 9 and then go for food or beer. Pick up passport and back over the border. One more night in Mukdahan and Nok flydrive again. Sorted.

Hi going tomorow, mini bus to chiang mai . fly to bkk . bkk to mukdahan via nok air fly drive stay overnight @ ploy palace bus to savannaket next morning embassy then reverse to mae ai will report here if any problems

Fly and drive Nokair to Nakhon Phanom then Mukdahan. Stay at the Riverside hotel. Nice. Up early to Savannaket. Bus over the border. Take passport photos. Go to the consulate at 9 and then go for food or beer. Pick up passport and back over the border. One more night in Mukdahan and Nok flydrive again. Sorted.

Now it seems you must wait in Savanaket till the following afternoon to collect your visa .(for a short period they did it the same day ,i read . ).

Hi going tomorow, mini bus to chiang mai . fly to bkk . bkk to mukdahan via nok air fly drive stay overnight @ ploy palace bus to savannaket next morning embassy then reverse to mae ai will report here if any problems

Two flights each way then instead of one ,so your way is expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

School gave me a paper to cancel my current visa, have to cancel it at immigration before i go to Savannakhet. I don't see the point really, the cancel date will be 9june instead of the 14june im allowed to stay in Thailand (same as saying classes finished 9june) (ive been on ed visa for a almost a year now)
I understand about cancelling a visa when you still have entries left to avoid having 2 valid visa's, so i asked the lady at my school and she told me rules at immigration has changed.
So for those in similar situation as mine, don't forget to cancel the visa before you go after a new visa.

Edited by SuengTueng

Done some research and it seems going with plane is just better even tho i need to stay the night when arrive mukdahan.

Not looking forward to take a 18hour bustrip, CM-KK , KK-Mukdahan (arriving 6am KK)

Hurrying to arrive before 11am to do same day at thai consulate, being tired from the bustrip.

If i book plane ticket CM-BKK, then BKK-Nakhon Phanom, ride service to Mukdahan with nokair fly n ride, sleep in mukdahan, cross bridge at 8am, enter into Savannakhet, be in time at consulate.

I think the bridge opens 8am right, so that would leave me enough time to get to consulate before 11am I assume.

Then pickup passport next day 2pm, taxi to Mukdahan hotel, stay the night, ride to Nakhon Phanom airport ->bkk->CM

In total it would take me 4days to do the trip, so it isnt that bad i think. Correct me if im wrong.

I just bought a car, but nobody can drive me go there since i dont have driving license yet and my wife needs to take care our newborn.

EDIT; Question unrelated to thread, but do i need to cancel my ED visa extension before going to Savannakhet ? I used up all entries, my classes finish this month and currently on my last extension of stay valid until 14june.

No one has mentioned flying direct from Chiang Mai to Ubon Ratchathani with Kan Air, CNX (06:10) - UBP (08:20) with flights seven days a week. I flew Chiang Mai to Nakhon Phanom, transiting in Bangkok, at the end of April when I went to Savannakhet for a Non O, but many may want to avoid 2 flights. It is not that much farther to the friendship bridge in Mukdahan from Ubon airport (aprox 180km) than Nakhon Phanom airport (150km). I have flown the Kan Air route before and it was fine. The only issue for some may be that they use a turbo prop ATR, at least that is what I flew on.

The don't ask for the cancellation letter at Mukdahan immigration when you leave the country.

That is only asked for at Nong Khai.

Thx for fast response again,

Should i bother going to cm immigration to cancel my visa or don't bother wasting my morning again and just bring the paper with me in case needed when going to Mukdahan?

Might be better just to be safe to let cm immi cancel it or you think it's waste of time really ? Im on an ED extension , so without a re-entry permit, my ED visa becomes expired once i leave the country right, so i really don't understand the reasoning of my school why i need to go cancel it, they just told me immigration rules have changed, but still i dont get it...

I really want to avoid going to cm immi, it's a hell and don't want to be asked questions why cancel it etc

The don't ask for the cancellation letter at Mukdahan immigration when you leave the country.

The reason my school suggested that I cancelled my extension whether or not I was leaving the country via Nong Khai was that if I subsequently applied for an extension for another visa (say a non-imm 'O' for example) I would have a problem at immigration. This might only apply to Chiang Mai immigration or it could be complete rubbish but I thought I'd mention it in any case. If someone has recently left the country by a border other than Nong Khai without having cancelled their Ed visa extension and successfully applied for an extension to a new visa they obtained before returning to Thailand, it would be handy to know.

Thx for fast response again,

Should i bother going to cm immigration to cancel my visa or don't bother wasting my morning again and just bring the paper with me in case needed when going to Mukdahan?

Might be better just to be safe to let cm immi cancel it or you think it's waste of time really ? Im on an ED extension , so without a re-entry permit, my ED visa becomes expired once i leave the country right, so i really don't understand the reasoning of my school why i need to go cancel it, they just told me immigration rules have changed, but still i dont get it...

I really want to avoid going to cm immi, it's a hell and don't want to be asked questions why cancel it etc

They didn't ask me any questions, the reason for cancelling is obvious. It took 1 1/2 hours to achieve, which, whilst annoying, was not really that awful.

The reason my school suggested that I cancelled my extension whether or not I was leaving the country via Nong Khai was that if I subsequently applied for an extension for another visa (say a non-imm 'O' for example) I would have a problem at immigration. This might only apply to Chiang Mai immigration or it could be complete rubbish but I thought I'd mention it in any case. If someone has recently left the country by a border other than Nong Khai without having cancelled their Ed visa extension and successfully applied for an extension to a new visa they obtained before returning to Thailand, it would be handy to know.

I have seen no reports of anybody having a problem getting another extension of stay after just leaving the country to cancel out their existing extension and getting another visa.

Now it seems you must wait in Savanaket till the following afternoon to collect your visa .(for a short period they did it the same day ,i read . ).

You definitely have to overnight in Savan, cannot get your passport back the same day.

If you're going to the trouble of flying to Bangkok first, why not just fly directly to Savannakhet from there?