7 injured in high-speed Minivan crash in East Pattaya

webfact

7 injured in high-speed Minivan crash in East Pattaya

crash-14.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The driver and six passengers in a Toyota Minivan, travelling from Sattahip to Bangkok, were injured on Monday morning on Highway 331 after their vehicle flipped-over several times after coming off the main highway.

Police and medics rushed to the scene and assisted the injured, who all work for an Oil and Gas Company, apart from the driver.

Khun Garagadar aged 43, the driver, sustained relatively minor injuries and told Police that he was forced to take evasive action to avoid a head-on collision with a Toyota Camry which had overtaken a slow-moving car travelling in the opposite direction and ended up in the path of the oncoming Minivan.

The minivan came off the highway and onto a grass verge where the vehicle flipped-over several times before coming to a halt approximately 50 meters from the main road.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/195005/7-injured-in-high-speed-minivan-crash-in-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-05-19

I figure that there are only so many trips you can have in mini-bus in Thailand before you die in one. Going by my last two rides, the last one being BKK to Koh Chang, I think if you are still alive after 10 then any more after that you are on borrowed time and should use alternative travel means.

The goverment is more concerned with the Lottery, than the daily lottery of life and death. On Thailands roads!

That's because the Thai public are more concerned with saving 10 baht on a ticket as opposed to making their roads safer.

The driver's description of the reason he had to take to the scrub sounds authentic.

Years ago when I regularly rode my pushbike around Thailand, one of the most scary things I had to contend with was those idiots who charged onto the wrong side of the road to overtake in impossible situations, lights flashing, going very fast, no concept of danger to the other road users.

Another aspect of this crash is that nobody was killed. If one of those minivans rolls several times and you are not belted up, then someone is gonna die! Does this mean that the passengers and even the driver were wearing their seat belts?

Hard to believe I know, but in theory, possible!

In every other country on Earth apart from Thailand there will be no accidents today, when will these Thai's learn to be more like us clever people ?

Apart from the average of 3287 that are killed every day on the world's roads that is.

The 1.3 Million people killed each year.

20 - 50 Million injured or disabled.

But apart from them, why can't these pesky Thais be like the rest of us ?

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

Edited by Banzai99

The driver's description of the reason he had to take to the scrub sounds authentic.

Years ago when I regularly rode my pushbike around Thailand, one of the most scary things I had to contend with was those idiots who charged onto the wrong side of the road to overtake in impossible situations, lights flashing, going very fast, no concept of danger to the other road users.

Another aspect of this crash is that nobody was killed. If one of those minivans rolls several times and you are not belted up, then someone is gonna die! Does this mean that the passengers and even the driver were wearing their seat belts?

Hard to believe I know, but in theory, possible!

"was those idiots who charged onto the wrong side of the road "

If you turn left at the traffic lights from Pattaya Klang and drive along Third Road this happens very very frequently because many selfish idiots want to make a right turn before the lights turn red.

When I see this in the interests of self survival I simply pull over and stop where i can ( even though the far left lane is usually occupied by parked cars ), so they are using up the only lane left and it’s my right of way but I think pity on them and let them get on with it as their time is obviously so valuable.bah.gif

'... the driver ... told Police that he was forced to take evasive action to avoid a head-on collision with a Toyota Camry which had overtaken a slow-moving car travelling in the opposite direction and ended up in the path of the oncoming Minivan.' And no doubt the van was speeding.

I stopped taking minivans 2 years ago after a near death experience. I prefer to drive myself, never regret that I bought a car. So far so good.

"As he was travelling along this busy road, a Toyota Camry coming towards him crossed over to his lane trying to overtake a slow vehicle, so to avoid a collision he swerved to the side but lost control"

bla bla bla... again, again, and again... :-(

There is an easy way to remedy the question of who is responsible! Install video on the fronts of all Mini vans that are licensed to carry people. Install it in a manner that if it is tampered with the engine won't start!

In every other country on Earth apart from Thailand there will be no accidents today, when will these Thai's learn to be more like us clever people ?

Apart from the average of 3287 that are killed every day on the world's roads that is.

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

Thailand and the UK have similar populations.

Annual road deaths in UK, about 2,000.

Annual road deaths in Thailand, about 26,000.

Just maybe there is something Thailand could learn to bring down the appalling death figures.

Just maybe there is something Thailand could learn to bring down the appalling death figures.

Exactly, and how will the Thai apologists reply to those appalling statistics ?

That a huge percentage of deaths are people on motorcycles, if the UK had the same amount of motorcycles in the population as Thailand had, do you honestly in your wildest Thai Bashing dreams think the UK figures would not be higher ?

Most Farangs here are too old to drive safely in any country, let alone Thailand that has it's own way of driving, I've managed OK since 1990, then again, I wasn't a dinosaur when I arrived in the Kingdom I choose to stay in. rolleyes.gif

That a huge percentage of deaths are people on motorcycles, if the UK had the same amount of motorcycles in the population as Thailand had, do you honestly in your wildest Thai Bashing dreams think the UK figures would not be higher ?

I don't, not by any significant number anyway.

Any motorcycle rider in the UK who has no tax, no insurance, no licence, no training and behaves like a cretin on public roads, wouldn't own a bike long enough to make a difference.

So highlighting the appalling death toll on Thai roads is Thai bashing is it? Have you ever considered it may be lamenting the terrible and mainly preventable waste of life?

You point out how many motorcyclists there are in Thailand. The UK bought down the death toll amongst motorcyclists by bringing in a helmet law, training and enforcement of laws. Maybe Thailand could learn from that if they are serious about reducing the carnage.

Most Farangs here are too old to drive safely in any country, let alone Thailand that has it's own way of driving, I've managed OK since 1990, then again, I wasn't a dinosaur when I arrived in the Kingdom I choose to stay in. rolleyes.gif

I used to work as a UK Police driver for a Scene of Crime Office so passed a Police Driving Test there.

Been driving 14 years in Thailand and also never had an accident.

Seen plenty though and stopped counting at over 20 corpses at the side of the road.

I have a great life in Thailand, love most of the people here but no rose tinted glasses so I realise it could be safer.

If it was my Thai brother in law would still be alive. He was killed by a drunk driver as he helped at the scene of a previous accident.

• 2 weeks later...

That a huge percentage of deaths are people on motorcycles, if the UK had the same amount of motorcycles in the population as Thailand had, do you honestly in your wildest Thai Bashing dreams think the UK figures would

So highlighting the appalling death toll on Thai roads is Thai bashing is it? Have you ever considered it may be lamenting the terrible and mainly preventable waste of life?

You point out how many motorcyclists there are in Thailand. The UK bought down the death toll amongst motorcyclists by bringing in a helmet law, training and enforcement of laws. Maybe Thailand could learn from that if they are serious about reducing the carnage.

Yes indeed highlighting the appalling death toll is Thai bashing if you are a Thai apologist and you do not have a life.

That a huge percentage of deaths are people on motorcycles, if the UK had the same amount of motorcycles in the population as Thailand had, do you honestly in your wildest Thai Bashing dreams think the UK figures would

Yes indeed highlighting the appalling death toll is Thai bashing if you are a Thai apologist and you do not have a life.

So a Thai Basher has a life and a Thai apologist has no life, haha, so you're not only a Thai basher but a Thai Apologist basher also. well done.