Tire shelf life

PMK

I have a good quality tire that has been sitting in the trunk/boot of a recently purchased used car for 5+ years. Should it be safe to mount and use as if it were just purchased? Thanks.

Below is a quote from a Bridgestone/Firestone Tire Maintenance, Safety, and Warranty Manual.

But if you go to a tire store or auto maintenance store that also sells tires they will probably tell you 3 years max from the tire manufacture date....that's just a scam/fear factor tactic to sell more tires...and it works.

Tire Service Life
Make sure your tires, including the spare, continue to be
regularly inspected after 5 years of service to determine
if they can continue in service. Regardless of the tire’s
condition or tread depth, it is recommended that tires more
than 10 years old be taken out of service and replaced with
new tires. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR FULLSIZE
OR TEMPORARY SPARE, ALSO. A spare tire
over 10 years old may look like a new tire, but it should be
replaced. See “Tire Manufacture Date,” the next section in
this manual.
The 10 year period after the date of production is not an
indicator of actual service life for any individual tire. Some
tires will need to be replaced before 10 years due to conditions
such as punctures, impact damage, improper infl ation,
overloading, tread wear or other conditions involving use
or misuse of the tire. If a tire is worn out or otherwise
unserviceable from damage or conditions of use, it should
be replaced regardless of when it was produced or placed
in service.
The vehicle manufacturer may consider vehicle performance
characteristics when making tire replacement recommendations.
Consult your vehicle owner’s manual for
any information regarding tire service life and replacement
and follow the recommendations applicable to your vehicle.

When I get new tires, I always use one of the old ones, as a "new" spare tire.

^^^^Ditto. I almost always change all four tires at the same time...I pick the best looking of the old four and that tire becomes my new-old spare until the next tire change.

Very good info... I'm on originals after 4 years and 100+k, still good tyres...

Are these pickup/suv tires? They seem to last loner than tires on regular passenger vehicles. I'd be lucky to get 50K on my car before they get hard and noisy.

Are these pickup/suv tires? They seem to last loner than tires on regular passenger vehicles. I'd be lucky to get 50K on my car before they get hard and noisy.

Ford Ranger on Bridgestones...

It should be fairly easy to tell by close examination to see if new thread has been vulcanized onto the tire especially where it wraps around/joins onto the sidewalls. At those sidewall locations the joining between the new thread/recap and the old tire is usually obvious. Plus looking for scuffs, scratches, maybe very small cracking, etc., on the sidewalls...should not be any if it was a new tire; but if it's an old tire that's been re-capped you'll probably see a few.

^^^^Ditto. I almost always change all four tires at the same time...I pick the best looking of the old four and that tire becomes my new-old spare until the next tire change.

What do you guys do though with the original "spare tyre" - especially if unused but may be 3-5 years old. Or do you only actually buy 3 new tyres?

What do you guys do though with the original "spare tyre" - especially if unused but may be 3-5 years old. Or do you only actually buy 3 new tyres?

That was the whole point of my question. Given the great info Pib posted, I intend to mount the spare on the car and just buy one new one (just my front tires need replacing).

I bought my car used, and it did not have a new spare tire, so I always buy 4 new tires.

z

It's been decades since I just bought two tires....I replace 4 tires at once...I rotate my tires regularly and watch for front wheels misalignment to ensure I get even wear among the 4 tires. And when I got my new 2009 vehicle it came with a full size spare tire and matching rim as the other 4 tires. So, I was doing a 5 wheel rotation until I replaced those 4 of 5 of those tires with 4 new ones....I kept the best of those original 5 tires as my spare.

When I do that replacement regardless of the vehicle I've had over the years I usually keep the best of the old 4 tires as my spare tire if the spare is a full size spare...if it's one of those mini, emergency spares then I just continue to use that as my spare. But I take into consideration the age of the current spare in comparison to the 4 tires I'm removing because even though the spare thread might look good "thread-wise" if it's been my spare say for 5-10 years I give it a good look for dry root/cracks. Basically, just keep the best of the old as your full size spare. I've never bought a new spare tire.

• 2 weeks later...

100k is pretty much the end of its life span, would suggest replacing it even if it looks like new to you. Have you ever done inspection on the inner wall of the tire to see if they are ok? I got tires that ran for 80k, looks fine on the outside but started to had a crack line in the inside.

Archived