I am never wrong driver.

wow64

To my mind this Op sums up just about everything that is wrong about Foreign drivers in Thailand....they are arrogant and aggressive and fail to understand that the "rules" they drove by at home are not necessarily applicable here. They also seem to think that every time they have an "incident" of any kind it is the fault of THAI people's "thainess" and present it as if this could only happen in Thailand....this is of course nonsense - Thailand has no more loony drivers than any other country.

what the foreign motorists fail to appreciate is that a good driver adapts to to the environment they are in - whatever the country - and doesn't try to impose their own preconceptions of what is or isn't a good driver. They are in reAlity driving with a bundle of psychological baggage from their home country where doubtless they were a "superb" driver.

try this assessment for size....

Firstly there is perception - “Thai roads are dangerous and all Thai drivers are reckless morons”.

Just take a moment to consider how people who say things like this see themselves and other road users. Indeed can they be aware of, or appreciate the existence of, even half of the other road users they are co-existing with?

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

How people form their opinions on driving can often be quite tenuous. Yet they then talk as if they are authorities on the subject - Why? - If they go to a hospital or clinic and a man in a white coat tells them to do something, they will do it unquestioningly - even if it’s quite personal...but when it comes to driving (like teaching) everyone’s an expert...and better than all other road users to boot.

Foreigners who drive in Thailand frequently turn on the vitriol when it comes to talking about their fellow roads users...automatically excluding themselves from the equation and concomitantly implying that their driving skills are far superior to those of any Thai people.

In Thailand, foreigners who DON’T drive seem to be even more vociferous.

If we are to believe the non- Thais posting on forums like this then we have to conclude that everyone is better than the average driver! Which obviously cannot be the case...

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

For example these were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003)

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do

(King and Parker, 2008)

Not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

· I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

· Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

· Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves.

· Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

· The third-person effect (Davison, 1983).

· High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education

· But not for themselves - for other people.

So - it is quite clear that the OP considers himself blameless in this, but in the end it takes TWO to tango.

The OP was stopped when the incident happened.

Edited by Pomthai

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my mind this Op sums up just about everything that is wrong about Foreign drivers in Thailand....they are arrogant and aggressive and fail to understand that the "rules" they drove by at home are not necessarily applicable here. They also seem to think that every time they have an "incident" of any kind it is the fault of THAI people's "thainess" and present it as if this could only happen in Thailand....this is of course nonsense - Thailand has no more loony drivers than any other country.

what the foreign motorists fail to appreciate is that a good driver adapts to to the environment they are in - whatever the country - and doesn't try to impose their own preconceptions of what is or isn't a good driver. They are in reAlity driving with a bundle of psychological baggage from their home country where doubtless they were a "superb" driver.

Firstly there is perception - “Thai roads are dangerous and all Thai drivers are reckless morons”.

Just take a moment to consider how people who say things like this see themselves and other road users. Indeed can they be aware of, or appreciate the existence of, even half of the other road users they are co-existing with?

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

How people form their opinions on driving can often be quite tenuous. Yet they then talk as if they are authorities on the subject - Why? - If they go to a hospital or clinic and a man in a white coat tells them to do something, they will do it unquestioningly - even if it’s quite personal...but when it comes to driving (like teaching) everyone’s an expert...and better than all other road users to boot.

Foreigners who drive in Thailand frequently turn on the vitriol when it comes to talking about their fellow roads users...automatically excluding themselves from the equation and concomitantly implying that their driving skills are far superior to those of any Thai people.

If we are to believe the non- Thais posting on forums like this then we have to conclude that everyone is better than the average driver! Which obviously cannot be the case...

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

For example these were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003)

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do

(King and Parker, 2008)

Not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

· I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

· Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

So - it is quite clear that the OP considers himself blameless in this, but in the end it takes TWO to tango.

The OP says he was stopped when the collision took place - he also states that there was a build to this over a period of time beforehand. As I said before motorists need to look at the whole situation/environment properly. THis is a "road rage" incident that he is describing and one that he was a willing participant in.

Edited by cumgranosalum

(Cauzard, 2003)

(King and Parker, 2008)

(Tolmie. 2006).

So if people drive like idiots, by your post you are saying that more intelligent drivers are required to stoop to their level of unsafe and dangerous driving in order to "fit in"?

It IS NOT A PERCEPTION that Thai drivers are "wreckless " and Thai roads are dangerous. The stats are there to prove it.

And to address another post just because a farang drives a BMW and says he doesnt drive like the rest, holds no water in the argument. Here in Phuket, there seems to be an abundance of farangs who own and drive BMWs and other high end cars. Its a world perception that luxury car owners are selfish drivers among other self-endearing traits. Farangs in Thailand are no different.

Actually Ive never seen a luxury car owner that didnt drive like a selfish idiot. It just doesnt happen like that. People that own those cars do it for the status they ASSUME it gives them. In reality, the rest of the world knows that is the polar opposite of what it does.

http://jalopnik.com/science-confirms-that-bmw-and-prius-drivers-are-the-wor-1120783177

Edited by Boo
racial slur removed

I used to have much less problems when I was driving my son in law's rusty and battered truck, now that gets you respect, as in 'this guy has crunched his car before and doesn't care if it happens again'.

There are certain makes of car that seem to cause their drivers to be particularly objectionable. Up here in Isaan, any car with a Bangkok number can be assumed to be a selfish so and so to be avoided, although they do realise that being held up by an accident 400Km from home isn't a good idea though. Usually.

this is patently nonsense and as there is no evidence to support this argument, can only be derived from personal prejudice rather than a scientific or analytical approach to the topic....the failure of logical thought is a good basis for poor driving.

More proof (if needed) that the new Ranger is an awesome deterrent to the pushy, 'me first' flash bastard. Last year I was in slow-moving traffic in the left lane on Pattaya Beach road when a Merc decided he would 'push' his way into my lane. Eventually his passenger side wing mirror slipped inside my rear wheel arch where it was snapped off and went spinning across the pavement. Sitting in traffic, the driver got out, picked up the broken mirror and walked up to my window to show me what I had done. I said, "No thanks mate, I already have a couple and I USE THEM."

Your lane?

That says a lot...and the cause of many problems. Insisting on your right of way in your lane..

roads are shared...if somebody indicates they need to get in "lane" what is the problem with a 20 second give?

QUOTE: "To my mind this Op sums up just about everything that is wrong about Foreign drivers in Thailand....they are arrogant and aggressive and fail to understand that the "rules" they drove by at home are not necessarily applicable here."

Why did you say this? I find it offensive to tar everyone with the same brush when anyone with half a brain knows it could not be true.

QUOTE: "They also seem to think that every time they have an "incident" of any kind it is the fault of THAI people's "thainess"

Wrong. Once again you bring your credibility as an impartial observer into doubt. People will bitch and moan when they have an accident which is not their fault. Some will say it's bad Thai driving etc. But not all.

Now I might go back and read the rest of your post, though I fear it might not get any better, or enlighten me.

(BTW, I have been riding bikes and driving cars for 26 years in Thailand, mostly in Bkk. Had a few, count on one hand, scrapes, the most expensive of which cost the other driver's insurance company 16,000 baht.. Can't remember if I muttered "Thainess" under my breath at the time. Probably not :).)

^^ good point. Ive never muttered Thainess or even thought it. I never know who's in the car it could be a thai or farang. Bad driving is bad driving. Most of the time cant tell who is in the car as it has the dark impenetrable glass.

car driven doesn't make any difference to the driving habits here. the truck driver being annoyed by the luxury car driver cutting in only wishes he was in the luxury car looking out rather than in the truck looking in. the luxury car driver being annoyed by the truck driver cutting in is only glad that he is on the inside looking out rather than in the truck looking in. both are annoyed. both have same driving habits.

car driven doesn't make any difference to the driving habits here. the truck driver being annoyed by the luxury car driver cutting in only wishes he was in the luxury car looking out rather than in the truck looking in. the luxury car driver being annoyed by the truck driver cutting in is only glad that he is on the inside looking out rather than in the truck looking in. both are annoyed. both have same driving habits.

I wonder where you drive cause it aint where we all drive....

Already said... He was on my right in a right hand turn only lane trying to come into the middle lane which I had clear view of and was in..but could not do anything about as I was stationary and so were cars in front and behind. He went forward and took his mirror off.

Ps I am not from the UK.. No need to read the highway code if thats what you are referring too. Didnt say I havnt read it anywhere... You said highway code... Though it was a special code highway users live and die by.

Sent from my c64

" No need to read the highway code" - you seem unaware that there is a Thai highway code with and English translation - again you are the one who stated you had right of way - one has to assume you are under the impression you know Thai motoring laws/codes?
I have read the "Land Transportation Act".
no such thing in Thailand.
Ummm..... Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979)

I used to have much less problems when I was driving my son in law's rusty and battered truck, now that gets you respect, as in 'this guy has crunched his car before and doesn't care if it happens again'.

There are certain makes of car that seem to cause their drivers to be particularly objectionable. Up here in Isaan, any car with a Bangkok number can be assumed to be a selfish so and so to be avoided, although they do realise that being held up by an accident 400Km from home isn't a good idea though. Usually.

this is patently nonsense and as there is no evidence to support this argument, can only be derived from personal prejudice rather than a scientific or analytical approach to the topic....the failure of logical thought is a good basis for poor driving.

Deary me, are you having a bad day? Of course I can't present any peer reviewed evidence to this, and I can't see where prejudice comes into it. Hang on a minute... you're a Bangkok driver, is that it? I can only comment on what I see every day and I drive many kilometres, I certainly notice the difference in driving styles as I get nearer to Bangkok, this is something you see in every country, not just Thailand, Paris, London... Isaan drivers are lazy, hog the middle of the road and don't care when they are passed on the left. So what?

Or is it about makes of car? it is pretty obvious that many drivers do not control their car, the car controls them. There IS some evidence to support that.

Why not just call me ignorant and stupid instead of using ill thought out terminology that isn't justified in this context?

Ok I am wrong... Next time I will...ummm, pick my car up and carry it to the sidewalk and count to 10.

Do you have a copy of this highway code? I would like to read it.

The vehicle model I stated as its not small car which he cannot see.. Nothing more nothing less... And his mirror got caught in my wheel or wheel arche.

Sent from my c64

QED.

"Do you have a copy of this highway code? I would like to read it." - you are the one quoting right of way......and now you admit you haven't read that anywhere?

BTW - which side of you was he on? Left or right?

Already said... He was on my right in a right hand turn only lane trying to come into the middle lane which I had clear view of and was in..but could not do anything about as I was stationary and so were cars in front and behind. He went forward and took his mirror off.

Ps I am not from the UK.. No need to read the highway code if thats what you are referring too. Didnt say I havnt read it anywhere... You said highway code... Though it was a special code highway users live and die by.

Sent from my c64

" No need to read the highway code" - you seem unaware that there is a Thai highway code with and English translation - again you are the one who stated you had right of way - one has to assume you are under the impression you know Thai motoring laws/codes?

There is no such thing in Thailand.

I have read the "Land Transportation Act".
no such thing in Thailand.
Ummm..... Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979)

..... and here it is:-

Thaidriving.pdf

(Cauzard, 2003)

(King and Parker, 2008)

(Tolmie. 2006).

The OP says he was stopped when the collision took place - he also states that there was a build to this over a period of time beforehand. As I said before motorists need to look at the whole situation/environment properly. THis is a "road rage" incident that he is describing and one that he was a willing participant in.

I was stationary at a red light in traffic. There were cars stopped in front and behind me.

"Road rage"? I told someone to f/off that walked up to my window yelling at me. Not very diplomatic I admit.

Edited by wow64

F
(1) There are road rules, very few obey them because very few know what they are

(2) There are lines on the road most Thais regard them as decoration only and kind of vaguely drive on the left of them
(3) When approached by oncoming traffic and they flash their lights it means I am coming through even if they are on your side of the road so give way.

( 4) If you flash back then it's who backs down first, the loser has the smallest balls.

(5 )The pedestrian crossing is not a crossing as far as the drivers are concerned, it is bait to lure pedestrians onto the road to up the drivers body count

(6)The use of mobiles, laptops, Ipads and reading the paper is a way of staying awake on those long hi-way drives when driving alone and have no one to talk to.

(7) Always make sure you have the very best insurance because if involved in an accident with a Thai on a bike it is your fault, because you are a foreigner ( A judge once ruled the accident would not have happened if the foreigner never came to Thailand and parked his car where some poor Thai could run into it)

(8) Driving in the country, watch out for cattle, weird farm vehicles, 10 year olds on motor bikes, overloaded trucks with no lights but have old CDs hanging from the rear as reflectors, buses with 50 headlights that could cook an egg on your bonnet at 50 mtrs.

(9) Most Thais suffer night blindness it is not a medical condition it's because the tinting is so dark it is almost impossible to see out of windscreen in the dark.

(10) Dogs have no fear of cars and will sleep in the road and move only when you get up real close and blast them with the horn, if you do hit one don't stop if you are bitten it means six painful rabies shots, and the Thai will demand compensation even if's it's not their dog

(11) Driving in Bangkok, ARE YOU INSANE it takes a special skill and scant care for your own safety to drive in Bangkok it is a complete mad house. I park at the airport and use the fantastic public system to get around this city

(12) Police, in the likely event you get pulled over by the police, be nice and polite they are only after tea money, your money, they hate giving tickets and would rather collect some cash particularly towards the end of the month when their wages are running low.
(13) Traffic lights the most dangerous place to be, if you are first at the lights never drive off the second the lights change,because bikes on your left will cut in front of you to turn right and I have seen cars do the same thing, also the Thais love to play chicken and drive the red light so always give it a few seconds before pulling away and expect the unexpected.

(14) I hopes this helps anyone thinking of driving in Thailand, and never drive anywhere without a car cam set up in the car it does help when turned towards the policeman when pulled over for his tea money

Do not drive a motor bike in Thailand the accident rate for bikes is 85% a lot of them fatal or crippling for life

I try not to drive without my long haired dictionary (girl friend Na) she comes in very handy in the police station when all you can hear is native babble

Deary me, are you having a bad day? Of course I can't present any peer reviewed evidence to this, and I can't see where prejudice comes into it. Hang on a minute... you're a Bangkok driver, is that it? I can only comment on what I see every day and I drive many kilometres, I certainly notice the difference in driving styles as I get nearer to Bangkok, this is something you see in every country, not just Thailand, Paris, London... Isaan drivers are lazy, hog the middle of the road and don't care when they are passed on the left. So what?

Or is it about makes of car? it is pretty obvious that many drivers do not control their car, the car controls them. There IS some evidence to support that.

Why not just call me ignorant and stupid instead of using ill thought out terminology that isn't justified in this context?

"and I can't see where prejudice comes into it." - QED

F

(1) There are road rules, very few obey them because very few know what they are

(2) There are lines on the road most Thais regard them as decoration only and kind of vaguely drive on the left of them

(3) When approached by oncoming traffic and they flash their lights it means I am coming through even if they are on your side of the road so give way.

( 4) If you flash back then it's who backs down first, the loser has the smallest balls.

(5 )The pedestrian crossing is not a crossing as far as the drivers are concerned, it is bait to lure pedestrians onto the road to up the drivers body count

(6)The use of mobiles, laptops, Ipads and reading the paper is a way of staying awake on those long hi-way drives when driving alone and have no one to talk to.

(7) Always make sure you have the very best insurance because if involved in an accident with a Thai on a bike it is your fault, because you are a foreigner ( A judge once ruled the accident would not have happened if the foreigner never came to Thailand and parked his car where some poor Thai could run into it)

(8) Driving in the country, watch out for cattle, weird farm vehicles, 10 year olds on motor bikes, overloaded trucks with no lights but have old CDs hanging from the rear as reflectors, buses with 50 headlights that could cook an egg on your bonnet at 50 mtrs.

(9) Most Thais suffer night blindness it is not a medical condition it's because the tinting is so dark it is almost impossible to see out of windscreen in the dark.

(10) Dogs have no fear of cars and will sleep in the road and move only when you get up real close and blast them with the horn, if you do hit one don't stop if you are bitten it means six painful rabies shots, and the Thai will demand compensation even if's it's not their dog

(11) Driving in Bangkok, ARE YOU INSANE it takes a special skill and scant care for your own safety to drive in Bangkok it is a complete mad house. I park at the airport and use the fantastic public system to get around this city

(12) Police, in the likely event you get pulled over by the police, be nice and polite they are only after tea money, your money, they hate giving tickets and would rather collect some cash particularly towards the end of the month when their wages are running low.

(13) Traffic lights the most dangerous place to be, if you are first at the lights never drive off the second the lights change,because bikes on your left will cut in front of you to turn right and I have seen cars do the same thing, also the Thais love to play chicken and drive the red light so always give it a few seconds before pulling away and expect the unexpected.

(14) I hopes this helps anyone thinking of driving in Thailand, and never drive anywhere without a car cam set up in the car it does help when turned towards the policeman when pulled over for his tea money

Do not drive a motor bike in Thailand the accident rate for bikes is 85% a lot of them fatal or crippling for life

I try not to drive without my long haired dictionary (girl friend Na) she comes in very handy in the police station when all you can hear is native babble

This poster seems to be of the opinion that if you put numbers in front of an implausible postulation, it gives it some kind of credibility

(Cauzard, 2003)

(King and Parker, 2008)

(Tolmie. 2006).

I was stationary at a red light in traffic. There were cars stopped in front and behind me.

"Road rage"? I told someone to f/off that walked up to my window yelling at me. Not very diplomatic I admit.

so you think that wasn't road rage???

No I was politely telling him to go back to his car.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

More proof (if needed) that the new Ranger is an awesome deterrent to the pushy, 'me first' flash bastard. Last year I was in slow-moving traffic in the left lane on Pattaya Beach road when a Merc decided he would 'push' his way into my lane. Eventually his passenger side wing mirror slipped inside my rear wheel arch where it was snapped off and went spinning across the pavement. Sitting in traffic, the driver got out, picked up the broken mirror and walked up to my window to show me what I had done. I said, "No thanks mate, I already have a couple and I USE THEM."

Not working as a deterrent looking at both examples given here.

I just knew that you would see it differently.

I was already in the lane, the other driver was trying to merge into my lane, my car was ahead of his.. I didnt have to give way.

Sent from my c64

No, maybe you didn't have to give way. But why not give way when it doesn't do any harm and can prevent problems.

Good point indeed, I would wager that I give way more times than push in, especially with the new wheels and my rheumy, watery, old mans eyes. The path of least resistance is usually the best but you cannot deny that there are times when the, "Oh no you don't!" blocking move is warranted. For example, I transit Sukhumvit from Highway 7 to Theprasit and back at least three times a day. I have worked out by now what is the best lane to stay in for steady, forward progress. When it comes to the narrow parts, I will always give way to those that were in the fast, right-hand lane and suddenly find it is closed off (like it has been for months). There's absolutely no point in forcing someone to stop when all the lanes tend to be flowing albeit slowly and there's no huge problem. However, once I am on Nua or Tai or Beach or Kaotalo and already in TOTAL GRIDLOCK, I will not allow some brainless cock to try and get his bumper inside that critical 12" between my front bumper and the arse end of the car in front as that will invariably block what little movement there was and NONE OF US will be going anywhere, anytime soon anyway.

No I was politely telling him to go back to his car.

You have an opinion on everything and you are always right... you would fit right in driving in this guys place.. I would tell you the same I told him.

I.e this was a road rage incident, i find worrying that you are unable to identify this incident as such.. Edited by cumgranosalum

Still waiting to see how this is proof it is a deterrent. Especially since in both examples given it has not worked as a deterrent.

But maybe better not, we're getting off topic here and distracting from a road rage incident.

Edited by stevenl

Still waiting to see how this is proof it is a deterrent. Especially since in both examples given it has not worked as a deterrent.

But maybe better not, we're getting off topic here and distracting from a road rage incident.

Well we can always wish that it was a deterrent for the guys ever trying that silly stunt again, especially with farang operated Rangers. But you are right... it is all a fantasy and that is all that farangs have to cling to in LOS. Even if a hundred drivers saw a hundred wing mirrors getting ripped off by trucks that don't give way when they don't need to, they will still insist on trying it on with the next one.

The OP was sitting still, at a traffic light, with cars ahead and behind, when someone runs into him, yet some believe it is his fault.... Only on TVF...

He only claims to have been stationary at the moment the mirror was taken off.

Before that, he seems to have been fixated on not allowing the BMW to cut into the lane in front of him.

Which was perfectly legal. But we would contend, not very nice, not very smart, and contrary to local driving customs.

The OP was sitting still, at a traffic light, with cars ahead and behind, when someone runs into him, yet some believe it is his fault.... Only on TVF... gigglem.gif

no sir, that was only part of the entire event........by his own admission