Plans to ruin Jomtien Beach?

Emster23

they could have built around them as they are doing now if palm trees are in the line of fire.

I find it hilarious that they treat the old Palm trees with kid gloves and treat the broad leaf

shade trees with all the care of a clear-cut logger...

Its not that they hate trees folks..They really seem to love Palm trees...

What they clearly seem to hate is shade..And any tree that produces shade...

​with seating not far behind shade in the hate department...

Edited by fforest1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they could have built around them as they are doing now if palm trees are in the line of fire.

I find it hilarious that they treat the old Palm trees with kid gloves and treat the broad leaf

You are probaby right. It is scary to try to get inside the head of a Thai, but the thoughts they have that lead to insane actions are generated there. Backing up, for those who think palm trees do not need to be trimmed and are not dangerous, this pictures shows palm tree trimming on Jomtien Beach today:

post-110622-0-29734700-1439291362_thumb.

Sorry about the sideways pic (how to change that?). It is not that easy to see, but there are two very large cranes at work, one on each side of the road.

What does this actually mean? It means that the City could have easily spent small money to trim the old growth trees. The fact is that they did not want to do that. They do seem to hate shade!

Has anybody noticed how the beach in Pattaya seems to be eroding away? I have and some of that is no doubt due to the removal of all of the old growth trees. It is likely that beach erosion in Jomtien will accelerate because of this FUBAR project.

You are probaby right. It is scary to try to get inside the head of a Thai, but the thoughts they have that lead to insane actions are generated there. Backing up, for those who think palm trees do not need to be trimmed and are not dangerous, this pictures shows palm tree trimming on Jomtien Beach today:

attachicon.gifPalm tree danger.jpg

Sorry about the sideways pic (how to change that?). It is not that easy to see, but there are two very large cranes at work, one on each side of the road.

What does this actually mean? It means that the City could have easily spent small money to trim the old growth trees. The fact is that they did not want to do that. They do seem to hate shade!

Has anybody noticed how the beach in Pattaya seems to be eroding away? I have and some of that is no doubt due to the removal of all of the old growth trees. It is likely that beach erosion in Jomtien will accelerate because of this FUBAR project.

Open in Windows Photo Viewer - hit rotate.

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

Thanks but the image is not sideways before uploading it. It goes sideways after uploading it. I have no idea why, but this will only get us off track from the topic.

Back on track: Palm trees are far less "safe" than the old-growth trees they slaughtered. There is a reason they want to cut down all of the old growth shade trees and love palm trees. Cutting down old growth trees and planting palm trees is making some people rich. We all know who by now.

According to the Pattaya People, City Hall are accepting "complaints" and comments about the cutting down of trees along Jomtien Beach. It probably won't do any good, but I have made my comments to City hall, and given my reasons why I think the remaining trees should be allowed to stay.

According to the Pattaya People, City Hall are accepting "complaints" and comments about the cutting down of trees along Jomtien Beach. It probably won't do any good, but I have made my comments to City hall, and given my reasons why I think the remaining trees should be allowed to stay.

Excellent! The locals should voice thousands of complaints. Even the umbrella sellers should voice complaints as they are going to lose money now that the large shade trees are gone (the opposite of what they thought would happen). As an aside, I was just talking with a 71 year old Thai woman who was born in Pattaya. She told me how much better (and cooler) both Pattaya and Jomtien were 40 years ago. I asked her if she had received a similar opinion from many other people in her age group and she replied "yes." I think people who consider this "anti-green growth, unsustainable, more is always better progress" have a screw loose. They must love cancer cells as their motto is "grow, grow and grow some more." I also just took a stroll down Pattaya's beachfront disaster, and, yes, as one poster commented, the Jomtien disaster from the police booth to around soi 7 is much worse! At least they did not cut down all of the old-growth trees along the Pattaya beachfront. The Jomtien FUBAR renovation project is a crime against present and future generations. I strongly believe that the people who massacred the trees should be forced to pay for new, very large shade trees, to be planted three rows deep on the beach and in the holes that are about to be filled with palm trees. And they should also pay for nice benches so that people can sit down in the shade. The "steps" are not for sitting and all of them are in the full sun. I could not have designed a worse promenade if I tried! So sad to see 3-5 rows of old-growth trees massacred in the name of "progress."

I use to like to walk along Beach Road in Pattaya. Can't do it during the day any more as there is NO shade. They ruined it. Sounds like they are doing the same thing in Jomtien. I use to walk from near Soi Wat Boon to Dongtan and have a bite to eat there. If no trees, I won't be doing this any more.

From the "police station" to around soi 2 there are no shade trees.. In what has to be one of the most idiotic actions ever taken by Thais (and that really is saying a lot), they actually cutt down all of the old-growth shade trees. From soi 2 to soi 7, only a few shade trees were left standing. If this had happened back in my hometown in the USA, the locals would have engaged in a mass protest and the perpetrators would have been arrrested and fined. The good news is that City Hall has received complaints about the tree slaughter (see the earlier post about the article in the Pattaya Mail). If you want the tree cutting to stop, NOW is the time to complain to City Hall. And as stated earlier, the perpetrators should be forced to purchase and plant several rows of shade trees in the area that now has none.

Just ran across a 16-yr old news article from Hawaii of how some mature shade trees were *relocated* to widen a street:

art.jpg

A monkeypod tree flourishes in its new location at the University of Hawaii at Manoa after a severe trim seven years ago. In 1992, people were alarmed to see workers cutting the tree, below, and other monkeypods along University Avenue. But now the avenue is one lane wider and the tree and its pals, moved to the roadside, have put down new roots and are providing great shade again for pedestrians.

arta.jpg

Such a shining example of what could/should have been done with the trees butchered on Jomtien Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

It rained last night and even with a rather small downpour this happened on Jomtien Beach:

post-110622-0-71032900-1441854133_thumb.

That location is where they put a lot of effort into designing a "flood/ erosion control" system. Obviously their plan did not work. In addition, in the past this precise location is where they had old-growth shade trees, four to five rows thick. They cut them all down (over the past decade).

The City has received lots of complaints about the trees having been cut down and replied: Do not worry, trees will be planted in the future. But those trees will be palm trees (probably one of the most dangerous trees in terms of safety) that provide almost no shade.

The people responsible for the tree slaughter should pay to plant several hundred old-growth, saline tolerant (salt tolerant) shade trees in the areas on the beach where they cut them down. If the umbrella sellers had a brain, they would be planting old-growth shade trees now, not later, in order to try to make the area more like it was in the past.

Pattaya City hall explains why the trees have to be cut down

1. Blocking the light from the football stadium floodlights.
  2. Blocking view from the CCTV cameras.
  3. The leaves have to be cleaned up.

post-2109-0-96544800-1442026497_thumb.jp

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/posts/1012910722087182

also

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/posts/1012988818746039

refers back to this thread.

Pattaya City hall explains why the trees have to be cut down

1. Blocking the light from the football stadium floodlights.
  2. Blocking view from the CCTV cameras.
  3. The leaves have to be cleaned up.

attachicon.gif11987167_1012902248754696_4933951887173913377_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/posts/1012910722087182

also

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/posts/1012988818746039

refers back to this thread.

Idiots! Following that logic, we must now remove all of the beach umbrellas because they block the view from the concentration camp lights and CCTV cameras. What horrible things are happening underneath those umbrellas? The City is using "stupid logic" to try to rationalize a super idiot action. Lights can be adjusted so that they hit the area at a lower angle rather than from overhead. The real issue is an absence of law enforcement. If the police would do their job (e.g. 24/7 beach patrols), there would be almost no need for lights or CCTV cameras. Stating that "leaves have to be cleaned up" borders on insane. That is a minor issue compared to palm trees dropping their "dangerous fruit" and "leaves." The leaves can easily be shredded by a beach-cleaning machine and left to rot or taken away for compost. Why can't the City purchase and actually use beach-cleaning machines? This entire FUBAR project, devoid of shade and places to sit, is a crime against both present and future generations, perpetrated by total idiots.

But most of the CCTV not work. Leaves from the trees? DUH- what is more important the native tree root system helping to prevent erosion or what is worse a biodegradable leaf or plastic bottles and food bags laying around do to uneducated people that do not know how to place litter in a bin? Flood lights...how about walking patrol policemen patrolling the area.

I am not sure what your definition of "hooligan" is, but I am seeing loads of beer drinking Thais and farangs on the walkway. I think the walkway design, if you want to call it that, is horrible! They could have created a nice pathway, winding around old-growth trees w/ lots of places to sit in the shade. The current design seems similar to a freeway design in the desert. It isn't the hot season and it is already too hot to use the walkway during most of the day. It is sad to see people clustering around the few remaining old-growth shade trees, especially when in the past the area was full of beautiful shade trees.

Edited by Rimmer
Troll quote removed

They just can't help themselves.....they cut down more shade trees this morning. It is more than interesting to me that they exert effort to build around and save palm trees (e.g. the ones you see in the distance were right in the path of the walkway but saved) and take great pleasure in cutting down the old-growth shade trees (in this case not that old, but valuable):

post-110622-0-61483900-1442288420_thumb.

post-110622-0-46771400-1442288432_thumb.

I hate this FUBAR project. I also very much dislike waking up to the sound of chain saws, but it must be music to the ears of Thais!

-- so with my observation living here, is it correct to assume that Thais do not care for trees and find them a nuisance? Thais do not care about a litter-free environment so they throw their litter over boats and do not pick up their garbage when finished having a picnic? I wonder what they would observe in my country that would be the opposite of their culture...

Someone is making a lot of money on this you can be sure. I saw some equipment there with Nong Nooch marked on it not sure why. They cut all the trees than fail to even put adequate area down for strollers. Ridiculous.

Edited by losworld

I think, it's a Buddhist thing. Thais hate Trees. They believe, Trees are the incarnation of bad peoples.

So, the people who cut the trees down will "return" as trees, only to be cut down by a buch of idiot morons. Speaking of idiot morons, here is the FUBAR walkway this morning, much of which collapsed! Interestingly enough, the major damage took place in an area where they removed virtually all of the old-growth trees that were once helping to hold in the soil:

post-110622-0-22643800-1442455455_thumb.

post-110622-0-43252300-1442455467_thumb.

post-110622-0-58800500-1442455478_thumb.

post-110622-0-06172700-1442455488_thumb.

post-110622-0-29544800-1442455498_thumb.

post-110622-0-72435600-1442455509_thumb.

post-110622-0-25394400-1442455521_thumb.

It will soon be back to normal with empty beer bottles and discarded food and crap everywhere because people cant clean up after themselves. Also people blasting music from their cars all night drinking whiskey. I went to Cozy Beach not long ago and ordered food, I left the food because the shitty Nappy on the beach put me off!!

Really, city engineers design these walkways along the shoreline without thinking of erosion from storms or when the tide comes up? (Look at deterioration the Wongamat walkway that was built over ten years ago the new Beach Rd promenade) These so called professionals only had experience designing walkways at a zoo.

Pattayas new promenade has had loads of problems sense the day it was finished.

So did any one learn any thing? Nope

They are now going all-in on a almost exact copy of Pattayas promenade in Jomtien...

They know they have a looser of a design on their hands but they are going to

double down their bet on the looser anyways.

According to a local newspaper, this new Jomtien promenade is a 270 million-baht contract (est 9million US dollars) for 10,000 sq meter project. This construction is linked with Nong Nooch Land and Garden Design Co. (which has close links with city hall). Mr. Suntorn Sompramai is the director of construction control for the Pattaya Enginering Department which is over looking this project. (mmmm, I wonder what kind of car he drives) should walk along this eroded project which is only 20% completed and think of some ways to make this 270 million baht re-construction project more solid and not end up falling apart such as Beach Rd or Wongamat walkway. (Mr Suntorn Sompramai is an university graduate and wears this VIP hat, he should be embarassed.)

According to a local newspaper, this new Jomtien promenade is a 270 million-baht contract (est 9million US dollars) for 10,000 sq meter project. This construction is linked with Nong Nooch Land and Garden Design Co. (which has close links with city hall). Mr. Suntorn Sompramai is the director of construction control for the Pattaya Enginering Department which is over looking this project. (mmmm, I wonder what kind of car he drives) should walk along this eroded project which is only 20% completed and think of some ways to make this 270 million baht re-construction project more solid and not end up falling apart such as Beach Rd or Wongamat walkway. (Mr Suntorn Sompramai is an university graduate and wears this VIP hat, he should be embarassed.)

Agreed. I saw the damage again this morning. It is an incredible FUBAR mistake! The first mistake, of course, was cutting down the old-growth shade trees that held the soil/sand in place (or facilitated this). If you look at the erosion, you can see how the trenches tend to go around the remaining trees, which is to be expected because the trees have extensive root system. At least one large old-growth tree fell during the storm. Will they replant it? Of course not, they will leave it to die as that is what idiots do. As far as water runoff --a major problem now that they have destroyed all of the old mangrove forests and other water catchment areas-- they need large drainage pipes. It would help to put something like this along the rim of the walkway to divert water before it hits the sand:

post-110622-0-62274300-1442544492_thumb.

Will they do that? Of course not, it looks good, it would solve at some of the water problem (if linked to some type of drainage system that channels the water to the sea) and provides a nice place to sit.

I totally hate this project. The people behind it should be forced to pay for the planting of hundreds of old-growth shade trees all along the beach!