PEA blames third-party techs for Pattaya wiring problems

Rimmer

PEA blames third-party techs for Pattaya wiring problems

n3PEA-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Blasted in the media and online for dangerous, low-hanging jumbles of wires hanging from its utility poles, the Provincial Electricity Authority blamed shoddy work by technicians from cable-television and Internet suppliers for the problem.

PEA technical officer Panya Boonsamer May 12 said every company other than the PEA is responsible for adding to the cable problem so evident throughout Pattaya, especially along Sukhumvit Road.

He explained that when a customer signs up for a new or different cable-TV, Internet or telephone service, technicians from those providers string a new live wire. At the same time, they’re supposed to remove the old, dead cable from the power poles, on which companies rent space.

In reality, however, few technicians bother to remove the old cable, even when they see the weight of the existing lines has caused the entire bundle to sag.

Panya said PEA has contacted all the companies renting space on its pole to address the problem and remove dead lines. However, he acknowledged the process may take time as all the work requests must make their way through corporate bureaucracies and be approved by head offices in Bangkok.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pea-blames-third-party-techs-for-pattaya-wiring-problems-47274#sthash.rhwTkFhl.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-05-22 footer_n.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang it low....makes for easy install and easy maintenance (not to imply maintenance is ever done until failure). Just hope it don't become the rage one day for vandals just to go around cutting wires because they won't need any ladders to do it. Not quite sure why low hanging cables like in the picture are not more of a target for copper thieves....some fiber optics probably there also...but copper is what they want. In my moobaan here in Bangkok a third party contractor recently installed some fiber optics cable for True...they seemed to do a pretty good job "except" where the cable goes around power transformers....made the loop around the transformers way too big....not bundled with the other cable TV & phone lines looping around the transformer...the loop is so big it almost lays on the ground....just low quality installation.

Why dont they lay the cables in the ground like most western countries ?

Cost I expect....would be a lot more expensive. And it would take a heck of a lot more approvals when it comes to digging....messing up roads, sidewalks, waterlines, possibly gas lines, entrances into lots owned by people, etc., due to the digging....if it was not approved and done right they would have an army of disgruntled citizens complaining. But stringing another cable on a pole is, fast, easy, and cheap....and usually don't upset anyone. It may not be pretty...but it's fast and cheap...and don't require any long term planning for underground wiring needs for years into the future.

Edited by Pib

Quote "" the process may take time as all the work requests must make their way through corporate bureaucracies and be approved by head offices in Bangkok"" cheesy.gif

Or in simple English "Nothing will happen".

clap2.gif

As the " lease " holder PEA has the right to remove any offending cable

Just like if I rent out an apartment and the tenant doesn't take out the garbage, I have the right to enter and remove it myself

If PEA really gave a sh... they have the ability to do something but Thainess dictates that they just delay the solution by blaming someone else

As the " lease " holder PEA has the right to remove any offending cable

Just like if I rent out an apartment and the tenant doesn't take out the garbage, I have the right to enter and remove it myself

If PEA really gave a sh... they have the ability to do something but Thainess dictates that they just delay the solution by blaming someone else

True, however if PEA did that, many would have their cable , phone and Internet cut as PEA has no knowledge of what is dead or active. Not to mention the cost involved.

My son-in-law comes from UK to visit alternate years. He is the Health & Safety officer for a chemical company in Yorkshire. He has taken numerous photos of the low-hanging spaghetti on 2nd road. I have to support him as he is laughing so hard. He uses the photos in seminars on how not to do things!

wow, how would they ever find a fault?

Why look for a fault? Just run another cablesmile.png

Even where we live in rural Isan the internet and phone cables alongside the small back roads are low enough that you have to dodge them if you ride your motorbike along the edge of the roadway. A couple of times they have hit the top of my helmet when I forgot and got over too far, I don't expect it to be like back home...but I do forget to watch out sometimes.

Edited by Lee4Life

Why dont they lay the cables in the ground like most western countries ?

That involves common sense and having the smarts to create maps and install sensors.

I did hear from a friend in Phuket that they are starting (in certain places) to bury the cables and apparently the areas look much better for it.

Apparently last year they were digging up Rawai beach road for new sewers but it didn't occur to them to liaise with PEA to bury the cables at the same time and save a load of money.

I'm afraid the lights are on but nobody is home.

Actually, finding a fault isn't all that difficult with the right equipment which I've seen almost all the technicians carry.

Also, what PEA says is true. Their electric lines are at the top of the poles all by themselves and MOSTLY installed pretty well. They have to be because their lines can kill people. And yes, some of these lines or lines going into a given building have come lose, dropped to the ground in a rain storm and killed people, but mostly they are fairly well done.

The cable, internet and phone people don't have to care because the signals carried on these lines do not kill and PEA, nor the government has ever enforced any type of rules or regulations on these companies, at least not that I or anyone else can tell. Therefore, PEA shouldn't be surprised at all the spaghetti hanging alongside every street in Pattaya now. It should be a source of shame for Thailand and Pattaya city government, but this is part and parcel of what it means to be a 3rd world country...very few regulations and laws or a total lack of enforcement or both.

So in the end it is PEA's fault it's like this and the government's fault.

Actually, finding a fault isn't all that difficult with the right equipment which I've seen almost all the technicians carry.

Also, what PEA says is true. Their electric lines are at the top of the poles all by themselves and MOSTLY installed pretty well. They have to be because their lines can kill people. And yes, some of these lines or lines going into a given building have come lose, dropped to the ground in a rain storm and killed people, but mostly they are fairly well done.

The cable, internet and phone people don't have to care because the signals carried on these lines do not kill and PEA, nor the government has ever enforced any type of rules or regulations on these companies, at least not that I or anyone else can tell. Therefore, PEA shouldn't be surprised at all the spaghetti hanging alongside every street in Pattaya now. It should be a source of shame for Thailand and Pattaya city government, but this is part and parcel of what it means to be a 3rd world country...very few regulations and laws or a total lack of enforcement or both.

So in the end it is PEA's fault it's like this and the government's fault.

Anything to save a buck sorry baht

DON'T put them underground, PLEASE........ TIT

It will take the "work"men forever and as always something goes wrong and the whole Soi will be dug up again (for weeks/months).

It is just a matter of good workers cheesy.gif and organizing it.giggle.gif

Yes, my country has everything in every city underground (Holland) [part of the taxes we pay], but take the USA for example, loads of cities with wire poles and wooden homes, cheap, cheap, cheap for the American dream.

Again we go around around and around with this problem. Sorry! this is the PEA problem and the cause for allowing the many Municipals not enforcing the requirement. How many times are you going to warn these utilities, people human nature and especially with the degree of corruption if you do not inspect and impose a penalty worth doing something to correct it this is exactly what happens. A good example I'm right is just look at how many people are dying each day from non-enforcement of the existing driving laws here in Thailand.

It is not just Pattaya, it is all over Thailand. Bangkok is just as bad and is an eye sore to the "Quality Tourist", it sure is an eye sore to a farang like me who has wondered for 11 years "Who in the hell is stupid to allow this to be"??

One of the whole problems in Thailand is it seems like no body gives a damn !! They say it is always been that way and always be that way. Which is true if no one is held accountable !!

n3PEA-1.jpg

Make it a Monument, or at least a museum's piece, as it depicts perfectly the way things get done. It could also be a metaphor for Bangkok traffic snarls, the convoluted bureaucracy of the government and the Thai Police trying to follow a lead. I'm sure there is more what that could stand for...

Easy it's all your own fault , when election come vote for some one can do the job , if not get a new one .

All your own doing . I know you don't like that , but that's the truth and the truth hurts .