Open-sky policy must continue, say airlines

800 "flights". Is that 800 take offs and landings individually, or 1600? LAX in Los Angeles handles 1600 take offs and landings every day making it either the same or twice as busy.

Atlanta, the world's busiest airport handles 2500 take offs and landings.

What's the problem with 800/1600?

An aircraft movement (the base of the numbers) is an aircraft taking off or landing. A take off and a landing equals 2 movements.

I hope you don't panic when I point out that the figure is more than 33%.

Yes, I am panicking because I can't understand how I passed my MSc exam (Satellite Engineering with Higher Maths) all those years ago.

Where's my sliderule?

It's OK. As we age our mind goes softer.

800 "flights". Is that 800 take offs and landings individually, or 1600? LAX in Los Angeles handles 1600 take offs and landings every day making it either the same or twice as busy.

Atlanta, the world's busiest airport handles 2500 take offs and landings.

What's the problem with 800/1600?

You are comparing apples and oranges. Suvarnabhumi has 2 runways to LAX's 4 and Atlanta's 5.

800 on two runways would mean it's as busy relatively speaking as LAX.

A better comparison is probably Heathrow which handles almost 1300 aircraft movements a day on average on two runways - normally set up as one for take-offs and one for landings.

(Heathrow actually comes ahead of LAX in passenger numbers, presumably because LAX has either smaller or emptier planes.)