Only millionaires can have a credit card in Thailand?

I just wanted to get some feedback on a situation my Thai partner and I find ourselves in lately regarding banks and credit cards here in LOS.

We run an online web and internet services business together for the last 20 years here in Thailand.

For 16 years we have used a Thai Military Bank (TMB) credit card, in my name, for paying offshore services and costs of our business.

A few years back due to illness I had to return to my home country and subsequently my work permit for Thailand ran out.

Last year TMB notified me via email that for Farangs without work permits, internet access to their bank account and credit card would be cancelled.

And sure enough this happened last year in October.

I was back in home country and online access was cancelled, leaving me with no way to reconcile my credit card, view statements or pay the balance owing.

Total lack of logic, I know, you know, we all know...

Shortly after and subsequent to that happening, TMB cancelled my credit card entirely for non-payment, knowing full well I had no way in the world to know what payment was due nor any method to even guess and pay online. No branches in home country - of course!

So, today, my Thai partner and I went to our local TMB branch (Nathon, Samui) and asked if we could get a credit card for her to use for the business and for paying of offshore services.

They said yes, but that she'd need to prove an income of no less than 200,000 Baht per month!

Now really... <deleted>?

Even back in Australia there are not too many people who earn over 200,000 Baht (AUD7600) per month and the only Thais I know personally who do earn that much are crooks, gangsters, mafia and/or corrupt officials.

So what the hell is this all about?

First TMB cancel my online access so it is totally impossible for me to pay my credit card while outside Thailand.

Then they cancel the credit card entirely.

Then tell me that my partner has to earn 2.4 million Thai Baht per year to get a credit card?

Has anybody else out there come across this b.lsh.t... or is it just and issue with/about me and the local branch?

Has anybody got any advice on which bank/branch might be a bit more helpful that that?

My partner has an income of only about 30,000 Baht per month showing on the bank statement so is there any hope of her getting a proper embossed credit card that we can use to continue our business of 20 years?

Any feedback greatly appreciated... thanks advanced.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a work permit, am retired and have a CC with Bangkok Bank. I've just locked up 100,000Baht in a savings account and have that credit limit. Maybe try them. You might have to try several different branches.

I don't have a work permit, am retired and have a CC with Bangkok Bank. I've just locked up 100,000Baht in a savings account and have that credit limit. Maybe try them. You might have to try several different branches.

Different banks and different branches....best go for the bigger branches, downtown, etc.

Over the years I got things from banks that are unbelievable:

It is impossible to transfer money out of Thailand

bank account only with work permit

for book bank need to go to the original branch

etc etc blabla

Go into the next bank an non of these problems exist.

Best experience for me was in Pattaya...they are used to foreigner....and they know how drunk idiot farangs look like and how low risk normal farangs look like.

I did the same thing with Bangkok Bank years ago so I could buy airline tickets, rent cars and reserve hotel rooms. Have had a Visa Platinum card for five years. No problem.

I still notice that there is not really a credit card in Thailand, even at Bangkok Bank, that acts like a credit card as the rest of the world knows it. It is really a debit card with a twist. You have to have money in your account, and you are allowed to draw from that as long as you have the funds to cover it in that account. You are not getting any credit. You are charging your own money, but this way Visa gets a cut of the action from the retailer, for providing almost nothing. Visa has 0 risk involved, just upside.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

That's just not true, if you have a work permit, a little income (50K+ or so a month) and 3 months of salary slips you can get a real credit card with a real credit limit no problem.

Of course if you don't have any of this and are therefore liable to run up a debt and just leave the country, you will need to provide some additional security.

Did you ask for a personal or corporate creditcard? For our company we tried to get a corporate cc from SCB, but that was nearly impossible. A personal cc was fairly easy for me on work permit. My Thai partner also easily got her personal creditcard. On a 30,000 stated income, she was just upgraded to a platinum card with a credit of 70,000. Minimum repayment per month is 10%. Funny thing is that she rarely get her salary in her account. But I guess she has a good credit rating.

Credit cards are not common in Thailand as most of them are charge cards. However, American Express has credit cards and one of the types is linked to Thai Airways as a credit platinim cards.

I also have a charge card from Bangkok Banks and my Thai wife has two.

Change bank!

I agree that a true CC (and that means one where there is no mandatory account with a corresponding deposit required) is very much available..but... it seems that more and more the mandate of a work permit is required..

When I went to my bank, the process was quick and painless - they checked all my docs, work permit, extension, salary and contract copies and I was approved in less than :30 with card to arrive in under a week..

Regardless of whether or not you have an access to online banking, it is your responsibility to pay credit card bill on time. You know there is still a communication device called telephone available in all countries. You could have called the bank and fulfill your responsibility. And since you have been using your credit card for quite a while, you should know when the due date is.

Edited by sitti

I did the same thing with Bangkok Bank years ago so I could buy airline tickets, rent cars and reserve hotel rooms. Have had a Visa Platinum card for five years. No problem.

worked for me with bangkok bank.

no work permit.

also depends on the relationship you have with the manager

BB bank also offered me a CC a few weeks ago----- I am a millionaire (in Baht) in fact I am a millionaire every year when I get TT just over the 850,000 you need for the visa. .........but its usually all gone again by the end of the year........coffee1.gif

I also live on Samui, last year i opened an flexible saving account at the bank of Ayudhya. One week after that i went to the bank to ask something about the account. The lady behind the counter asked or I wanted an free credit car. Two signatures only, and after one week my credit was sent to me by post. I only had to activate it by making a phone call.This is not an debit card but an credit card with a 200,000 thb credit limit. I live here on an extension of stay (retirement), so I don't have a workpermit.

I also have CC with Bangkok Bank. Just nominate the amount you need a cover with fixed deposit of same amount.

That's just not true, if you have a work permit, a little income (50K+ or so a month) and 3 months of salary slips you can get a real credit card with a real credit limit no problem.

Of course if you don't have any of this and are therefore liable to run up a debt and just leave the country, you will need to provide some additional security.

I do have similar conditions and asked at SCB, Kasikorn and Krungsri. All said more / mess the same thing: Lock between 100 k and 200 k in the bank, thank you get a card and a limit up to the money locked. And this is not a credit card.

May I ask you which Bank issued your card, please ?

within the next couple of weeks, missus and I are getting an International Debit Card each, from:

http://www.cashpassport.com/1/multi/

I don't know if if it can be extended in time? (which is the only Limitation of any kind that I need an answer for? )

But has a life within itself of 5 years

We're loading up on Euros, ThB, Sin$, US$; for our upcoming round the world'er

We're told it has full worldwide Internet account access capability, with Purchase/Cash WDLs, and Depositing Facilities etc

Exchange rates are locked in as at the Dates(s) you make Deposits into it...

Hey! if it cannot be extended beyond the 5 years, just get another one and update the new Card number for your customers to deposit to

post-205215-0-69858300-1432546632_thumb.post-205215-0-83756200-1432546741_thumb.

Edited by tifino

Yes, this is Thailand, give someone some authority, IMOs, Banks, Amphurs etc, and they will make up their own rules, and will get away with it.

Thailand is still playing catch up with rest of the civilized world. I tried to deposit a $50 check from a Wells Fargo Bank into my SCB account in Chonburi. They said I had to deposit the check in my Pattaya SCB bank because that's the city in which I opened the account. That branch is only open Mon-Fri, and it wasn't worth taking off a day of work to do the transaction.

blink.png

I just paid 10k bond to bangkok bank for 10k limit credit card. Anyone can do this. Im not a millionaire...

That's not a proper 'credit' card. It sounds more like a pre paid card that they issue to children in the western countries. Like a gift card.

Edited by ukrules

I also have CC with Bangkok Bank. Just nominate the amount you need a cover with fixed deposit of same amount.

Like someone else was saying, this is then not really a 'credit card', as such. I only have one with a big 250,000 limit because my Thai partner offered that I can piggyback onto that credit card (and I have a big deposit with Bangkok Bank...). Internet access required? I wish! That way I could actually check the balances etc. But Bangkok Bank is unable to either send me an SMS or a statement via email as this is only a 'second card'. But at least (after several attempts...), the direct debit to my savings account now works. All very odd...

Edited by UTH001

I had the same with Siam Commercial (my circumstances are the same as yours). One day while I was talking to the manager of a Kasikorn Bank (I have an a/c with them too) it came up about the terms of my c/c with Siam. He nearly had a fit...."Why you not open with me, we give you a c/c for same amount but only hold 50.000 Baht"...so I did and cancelled the other one.

You could've called them yourself, called them with a translator on the line, engaged a law firm in Thailand to act as agents on your behalf, wired them the money, etc.

People managed to pay their bills, including credit card bills, before there was an Internet.

You were just lazy, and they're paying you back by refusing to give you another credit card.

I don't blame them.

I had an offer of a free credit card from Kasikorn bank while I was visiting. Everything looked OK and she described some of the benifits of the card. Free membership to a gym free lounge access (priority pass) One off full medical examination and a few other things. After the CC introduction she then introduced me to a 15 year savings plan. The basic was you pay in for the first 6 years and you get 2.5% interest every year (not compounded). Minimum payment was 800,000Baht per year. At the end of the 15 years you get some sort of bonus which when added to the sum gave an average of around 3% per year. Still sounded not too bad given today's interest rates. Then I noticed a figure at the end of each of the 15 rows. I asked the lady "what is this figure at the end." She told me that was the figure I would get back if I stopped the plan for some reason and needed to retrieve my money.

I looked at the figures and nearly choked. I told her she must be wrong and gave her and example. "If I have made 2 deposits of 800,000 total 1,600,000 then what would I get back if I stop the plan" She pointed to the second row end column which was indicating just over 500,000 baht. OK now that cannot be right I say I give you 1,600,000 baht and if I get in trouble after a couple of years you will return to me only 500,000. Yes said she. No No say I Then she gets her supervisor involved and she confirmed the same. I looked down the columns and saw that you if you defaulted the plan you could get back almost exactly the equivalent of what you paid in at year 13. It is only when you get to maturity of the plan after 15 years do you get any benefit.

Of course I told her I was not interested in the plan so I will just do the credit card. Guess what? No 15 year plan = no credit card.

Den

I'm with Bangkok Bank. the atm card is also a visa card - but does not offer credit, works as a debit card I suppose - in other words you spend your own money but can still use visa payment method on the net etc. I had heard there was some tightening of issuing bank accounts use of internet banking to farangs recently but I have had no communication from the bank that changes my existing arrangements..

Yes, I can confirm this is correct. I have no work permit, no declared income, retirement Visa, and BB gave me a CC as long as I opened a fixed deposit account for the amount of the CC credit limit. I also chose 100,000 baht but it could be more or less. Also, if you have more than (I think) 3-million baht (or equivalent) with BB they will give you a "Platinum Leader" CC with no annual fee.