Complaints of taxis rejecting passengers mostly from Sukhumvit, Silom, Sathorn, Phayathai roads

webfact

Complaints of taxis rejecting passengers mostly from Sukhumvit, Silom, Sathorn, Phayathai roads
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Land Transport Department deputy director general Jirut Wisaljit said several complaints of taxi drivers rejecting passengers have been made via an online app of the department.

He said most complaints were made by passengers who were rejected on Sukhumvit, Silom, Sathorn and Phayathai roads. The app has been downloaded 30,000 times and 11,185 users have logged on to rate the drivers' performance and they filed 1,832 complaints, Jirut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Complaints-of-taxis-rejecting-passengers-mostly-fr-30260930.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-26

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure this Jirut Wisaljit that the actual number of refusal to take passengers is 10x that number.

I downloaded the app ... where on the app can you indicate you were refused to be accepted as a passenger ? isn't the app just to rate the taxi your already in ?

Also, how the heck can you contact this guy to complain ? no email ? 1154 no english ? [email protected] doesn't work ? is the only way to complain through 1111 NCPO ??

Edited by steven100

Survey Says: Most taxi complaints come from same 4 Bangkok streets
By Coconuts Bangkok

complaints_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Perhaps unsurprisingly, the busiest streets with some of the worst traffic and an abundance of would-be passengers are the worst places in Bangkok to hail a taxi.

Passengers are most often rejected along Sukhumvit, Silom, Sathon and Phaya Thai roads, according to data collected by a government app released earlier this year to track service.

The worst time to get a taxi is between 5pm and 10pm, and the No. 1 complaint remains drivers refusing service, according to the Department of Land Transport [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/05/26/survey-says-most-taxi-complaints-come-same-4-bangkok-streets

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-26

Do the fines also relate to refusing to turn on the meter? Twice in the last month I had 2 cabbies refuse to turn it on when I requested it they told me the fare "was up to me"

That little game must confuse the crap out of tourists .

Do the fines also relate to refusing to turn on the meter? Twice in the last month I had 2 cabbies refuse to turn it on when I requested it they told me the fare "was up to me"

"Up to you" is a common phrase by Bangkok sellers of many products and services in Bangkok. It means they are telling you what their price is and they dont care what you think.The best response is "mai ow" and walk away. Or tell taxi to "STOP"!!!!

"Up to you" is a common phrase by Bangkok sellers of many products and services in Bangkok. It means they are telling you what their price is and they dont care what you think.The best response is "mai ow" and walk away. Or tell taxi to "STOP"!!!!

Cab is already moving at that point. I just pay them what I know the fare is but as a tourist (not me)the confusion will always lead to a big over payment

This is not Rocket Science.

If the "Powers that Be" had any interest in stopping the "No Meter" trend, they could go to any major mall or entertanment zone thick with Foreigners, and watch as hundreds of cabs roll by with the window down, bargaining for 200 THB fares to go a kilometer.

Listen Thai Police / Government - We are jot children, nor do we need to be patronized with these silly "tattle tale" apps that can get you shot for taking a picture of the cab number and sending it in.

You know where the problem zones are, we know where the problem zones are.

We know that practical solution, you know the practi .... Hold on ... you DO know the practical solution, yes?

I've used that app twice for the two rejections I've had since downloading it. It works really well. Is in English and Thai, has an option to take photo of license plate or write it in, and you can write the cab rejected you. Simple and fast.
The third time I went to use it, I was about to photograph the license plate when the driver changed his mind and said he could take me.
He drove very well and was very polite. I'd said nothing at all to him other than where I wanted to go in the first place and my usual rejoinder of why are you driving a taxi when he initially refused me.
Whether it was the prospect that I might report him or he had an epiphany I don't know, but I got where I wanted to go without drama.
Yes, GrabTaxi, GrabCar and Uber are better options but sometimes there's a bit of a wait.

I have to laugh at the children at play to try to fool the world.

New laws, stern warnings, fines, undercover cops! The taxi drivers were quaking in their boots.

Did anyone think it would actually change?

Edited by harleyclarkey

I never ever understood the thinking of a Thai taxi driver. OK...

Empty taxi sitting in traffic earning zero Baht for the driver.

Taxi driver refuses passenger because of traffic ... that he is sitting in anyway.

OK ... this is where it screws-up my reasoning process.

I have pictures of Taxi drivers who refuse to take me. I would like to complain, but one of my Thai friend to me that, not do complain to police. Taxi driver will definitely be punished, and after some time he might come with a gun and shoot you. Because when you complain you have to file your address. Have anyone had a successful prosecution of the Taxi's before ? I mean still are you alive ? sad.png

I used to live and work in BKK, nowadays, two trips a year is my max. On Sukhumvit earlier in the month, by the BTS at Soi 7, wanting to go to Soi 23, around 2.30pm, I was refused by 7 taxis, No. 8 wanted B150. Fortunately No. 9, an older guy, well mannered, took us by meter - B47, I gave him B70. The fact that I speak Thai didn't score me any points with the first 8, No. 9 was up for a friendly chat.

I remember the 80's when I couldn't get enough of the city and often heard 'mai pen arai', many times in one day. Now getting around is a chore and over the past 10 years I haven't heard the expression used at all. Bangkok will never recapture what it once was, the magic has gone, sad that.

Mods - kindly move to the "Farang Moans" thread.

It's not a 'moan' ...... As in any civilized country the government is suppose to provide a taxi service that will accept any passenger and take him from point A to B.

That isn't happening in Bangkok.

How can any country move forward if no one complains ? The level of service will either remain the same as inadequate or worsen as time goes on.

but thanks for you non intelligent input ... coffee1.gif

try getting a taxi from imperial world to siam, HA-HA-HA.

took 45 min. until a taxi was willing to go with the meter on.

must have asked 10-15 taxis.

a 1000baht fine is a joke, need to make it 5000-10,000baht, then you may get results. a fine of 1000baht will just be made up from the next passanger. they need to impound the taxi!!! that way it will hurt the company who owns the taxi and lets the driver do what ever he wants. if it hurts the company in the wallet, maybe they will have there drivers change there attitude.

the only way to get change is hit them where it hurts, WALLET!

I've used that app twice for the two rejections I've had since downloading it. It works really well. Is in English and Thai, has an option to take photo of license plate or write it in, and you can write the cab rejected you. Simple and fast.

The third time I went to use it, I was about to photograph the license plate when the driver changed his mind and said he could take me.

He drove very well and was very polite. I'd said nothing at all to him other than where I wanted to go in the first place and my usual rejoinder of why are you driving a taxi when he initially refused me.

Whether it was the prospect that I might report him or he had an epiphany I don't know, but I got where I wanted to go without drama.

Yes, GrabTaxi, GrabCar and Uber are better options but sometimes there's a bit of a wait.

When the app came out I used it. One night. leaving Silom, we got in and the driver wanted 200 THB. I took a picture of the number (Inside on door)

He and my wife "had a few words" and she told me the deal was "Meter on, delete picture."

Off we went.

When we got to the condo, I got out, and sent in the picture of his number with a complaint.

She read me the riot act, and was correct!

OK, now we have a driver who will pay a 1,000 THB fine, WHO KNOWS WHERE WE LIVE ... and what we look like! Are you the Taxi Police??? Is it really worth this?

Deleted the app the next morning.

This is such BS. All the police have to do is go to Siam Paragon, anythine, and watch the taxis turn down 10 fares before a complete tourist pays 300 THB to go to 5 blocks.

If they meant to enforce the law, and make 100,000 THB in fines, they could stand there all day writing tickets.

Rinse and repeat at all the 5 Star Hotels, and any area thick with Foreigners.

This is Kabuki Theater, there is no real interest in changing anything.

My rule is simple .. if the window rolls down, i do not even bother talking to the driver. When a cab stops, I get in and close the door. I tell him in fairly good Thai where i am going. When he says no, I say it again. We do that for a while. Often, "the third time is a charm" .. and they push the button and go.

I do not have a lot of problems with taxis .. it could be the way I speak Thai, slow and quite .. like a local ...not excited and yelling. It conveys a "I live here, I do this all the time, please, let's just go." message and seems to work.

Thai people like good manners, and if you take the time to learn just the basics of "Taxi Talk" it can make life easy.

My wife was right however, playing Taxi Police Enforcer can become a lot more trouble than it is worth. Just Stay Calm and Hail another Cab.

When the app came out I used it. One night. leaving Silom, we got in and the driver wanted 200 THB. I took a picture of the number (Inside on door)

He and my wife "had a few words" and she told me the deal was "Meter on, delete picture."

Off we went.

When we got to the condo, I got out, and sent in the picture of his number with a complaint.

She read me the riot act, and was correct!

OK, now we have a driver who will pay a 1,000 THB fine, WHO KNOWS WHERE WE LIVE ... and what we look like! Are you the Taxi Police??? Is it really worth this?

Deleted the app the next morning.

This is such BS. All the police have to do is go to Siam Paragon, anythine, and watch the taxis turn down 10 fares before a complete tourist pays 300 THB to go to 5 blocks.

If they meant to enforce the law, and make 100,000 THB in fines, they could stand there all day writing tickets.

Rinse and repeat at all the 5 Star Hotels, and any area thick with Foreigners.

This is Kabuki Theater, there is no real interest in changing anything.

My rule is simple .. if the window rolls down, i do not even bother talking to the driver. When a cab stops, I get in and close the door. I tell him in fairly good Thai where i am going. When he says no, I say it again. We do that for a while. Often, "the third time is a charm" .. and they push the button and go.

I do not have a lot of problems with taxis .. it could be the way I speak Thai, slow and quite .. like a local ...not excited and yelling. It conveys a "I live here, I do this all the time, please, let's just go." message and seems to work.

Thai people like good manners, and if you take the time to learn just the basics of "Taxi Talk" it can make life easy.

My wife was right however, playing Taxi Police Enforcer can become a lot more trouble than it is worth. Just Stay Calm and Hail another Cab.

So you made a deal not to report the guy if he used the meter....then you did it anyway. Where I come from that's called being a d!ck.

Had you not done that, you would have nothing to fear re: the taxi driver knowing where you live. In fact, most people reporting have nothing to fear reporting the taxi since they don't end up taking it.

I used to live and work in BKK, nowadays, two trips a year is my max. On Sukhumvit earlier in the month, by the BTS at Soi 7, wanting to go to Soi 23, around 2.30pm, I was refused by 7 taxis, No. 8 wanted B150. Fortunately No. 9, an older guy, well mannered, took us by meter - B47, I gave him B70. The fact that I speak Thai didn't score me any points with the first 8, No. 9 was up for a friendly chat.

I remember the 80's when I couldn't get enough of the city and often heard 'mai pen arai', many times in one day. Now getting around is a chore and over the past 10 years I haven't heard the expression used at all. Bangkok will never recapture what it once was, the magic has gone, sad that.

+1

Bangkok will never recapture what it once was, the magic has gone, sad that.

1,832 complaints is only 'several'? tongue.png

Is only 10%. Less than the rate of VAT.

Ugh - VAT is 7%!

I guess that it is not only Thai people who are bad at maths whistling.gif

But, back to the subject - do the Thai authorities really care? Same old, same old - much flapping of the lips but no real action to discourage these rogue drivers. The offending taxi drivers/owners don't care either! So maybe the answer is, always seek other forms of transport first and put taxis last on your list.

Just amazes me that Thai "authorities" never seem to learn from other countries how to deal with problems, taxis or otherwise. They (authorities) do not need to apply the exact solution but modify the solution to make it work in Thailand. So pathetic really, unfortunately. In the words of the tourist industry "Amazing Thailand" coffee1.gif

Never really had a problem with Bangkok taxi drivers. When I come into town always found them to be good and helpful. I don't negotiate. If a price is suggested as opposed to the meter, I get out immediately and take the next one. I suppose this is the benefit of having rudimentary Thai. I'm not interested in complaining - doesn't solve my problem which is to get from A to B. Last taxi I used was from Silom to Sai Dtai Mai - a real sharp cookie, he knew I was catching a coach so gave me a price to my final destination which was very good; with the wife and two kids it was a no-brainer so we got the taxi home, he got the fair and a decent tip and he's now in my mobile phone and he gets the call ..... Unfortunately the hack driving game attracts a certain mentality, and having done it in London for a couple of years I know that if you look after people they tend to look after you; most of them however are chasing the fast buck, and many are clearly in the wrong job!

Edited by gerryBScot

How about this....

Install under every seat of all the taxis and tuk tuks special meter sensors.

Soon as client will sit in his seat the meter start running...

Yeah they can still refuse rides but at least the meter on or off conversation is no longer an option.

hahaha good luck .