Big bikes to face tighter noise control in Thailand

webfact

Perhaps they should focus more on the teenage punks that all but remove their exhaust pipe so they can zoom around the place with zero torque but full noise.

coffee1.gif

100% agree with this, the noise pollution in Pattaya is reaching intolerable levels and it is nothing to do with large bikes, it is Thai's and their incessant need to make noise - totally removing anything that resembles an exhaust and blasting out a sound that closely resembles a very loud long fart - how they think it is cool is beyond me

Consider why a 5 year old child likes to make big noises. And therein you have your answer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps they should focus more on the teenage punks that all but remove their exhaust pipe so they can zoom around the place with zero torque but full noise.

coffee1.gif

100% agree with this, the noise pollution in Pattaya is reaching intolerable levels and it is nothing to do with large bikes, it is Thai's and their incessant need to make noise - totally removing anything that resembles an exhaust and blasting out a sound that closely resembles a very loud long fart - how they think it is cool is beyond me

Same in Chiang Mai. They roar up and down Huay Keaw Rd at all hours of the night, and are incredibly loud.

Noise pollution??? How about all those salesgirls screaming into those microphones at the malls mixed with music from ten diffrent systems.....Give me a loud bike anyday.

what ajoke 95db is still obsurdly loud. Some ricerockets are as quiet as a sewing machine, that should be the standard.

Checking new bikes is a waste of time they just modify them in these racing bike shops I see here in Chiang Mai which are always full of bikes ready to go under the knife. I can just see the police working at putting up a bike checking centre across from my condo tooo much work but then there may be tea money involved to let them go. It is just crazy out here after dark. We must leave the balcony doors open to get fresh air and these jerks just crank it up for a 100 metres or so and then throttle down. Testosterone fueled.

True they are far too noisy but what about the Tuk Tuk which is by far the noisiest and smelliest of all vehicles.

True and that is one of the reasons I refuse to ride in them plus the drivers are rude and at my age they are uncomfortable and you get to suck up all their exhaust sitting in the back especially when stalled in traffic.

coffee1.gif

Same in Chiang Mai. They roar up and down Huay Keaw Rd at all hours of the night, and are incredibly loud.

I live on Huay Kaew road to and yes it is all night and incredibly loud. They should do nightly spot checks but then that would mean making an effort and well that is almost impossible.

Perhaps an easier target to reduce noise would be to crack down on boom box pickups that make your chest compress when in the vicinity, vendors with speaker vans especially those advertising the local film shows. Wat and school loud speakers, and train school teachers to teach their charges the dangers of noise pollution.coffee1.gif

What a fool, stock pipes always comply with noise levels it is the owners who swap the pipes over later and is a massive business in Thailand. Sorry Mr Wattana Pattharachon but you are way off target here, does he honestly think he can say to Honda I am not granting you a operating licence ha ha cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

What a fool, stock pipes always comply with noise levels it is the owners who swap the pipes over later and is a massive business in Thailand. Sorry Mr Wattana Pattharachon but you are way off target here, does he honestly think he can say to Honda I am not granting you a operating licence ha ha cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Not necessarily swapped over later, my bike came with Termignoni pipes straight from the dealer. If I'd wanted stock pipes I would have had to buy them myself at an additional cost.

Perhaps an easier target to reduce noise would be to crack down on boom box pickups that make your chest compress when in the vicinity, vendors with speaker vans especially those advertising the local film shows. Wat and school loud speakers, and train school teachers to teach their charges the dangers of noise pollution.

Better yet, buy a simple sound level meter and fine all the bastards that exceed the pain threshold.

Can't believe they haven't figured out they can make a mint actually enforcing the rules.

It may be a start. But, the biggest problem is with the trucks which have their mufflers replaced with straight throughs or hot dog style mufflers. The noise actually causes pain if you're within 50 metres of the barzids! Even worse are the operators who modify them further so the pipes are at face level of anyone on a motorcycle!

This is a good thing IMO. My bike was ridiculously loud when I picked it up from the dealer, I was setting off car alarms on my first ride and I couldn't wait to get the baffles in when I got home, I felt like a right prick.

Even with the baffles in I failed the sound test at Khao Yai as my bike came up at 97db during the very unscientific test they did with it (he was making me rev the bike very hard before taking the reading and had the meter very close to the exhaust). After failing, 5 minutes of talking politely, promising to ride slow etc. he let me in but I could have done without the hassle.

The trouble is (as always here) that the police won't enforce it properly, so 200 Baht will see you on your way. So it doesn't really matter what they do before the bike leaves the showroom as it will just be the same old Wild West as soon as you drive away. Might create some nice opportunities for graft though.

Only 200 .. that's doable..

Can they also do something about the sound of thunder.. it gets very loud coming up to the wet season.

Each storm should be sound tested before it enters built up areas.

Edited by wow64

coffee1.gif

Yep, and its not only big bikes but many of the tittle ones that are annoyingly noisy.

I like the sound of Harley's......heading away from me. Those 2 stroke pea shots need to be banned. Trucks with extremely loud exhausts are most annoying. Pick ups with a plethora of speakers in the cargo area are irritating. biggrin.png

The "loud pipes save lives" argument is self-serving hogwash!

Followed to it;s logical conclusion, every motor vehicle would be unbearably noisy. The obsession to upgrade exhaust systems is well-evidenced even on this forum, where every second poster is "upgrading" theirs. A "sweeter sound", more horsepower etc. Effects highly debatable, and really no different from the attitude of the Thai entrepreneurs who build an open-air karaoke in an obviously residential area.

And the kicker is.... they are "drive-by noise polluters", since being in front of the noise, they rarely hear the full effect. They leave that experience to the unfortunate bystanders.

Lots to agree with here. Blasted Honda Waves with no baffles in the silencers, Down my pub last week and one of these contraptions came past on full chat and even the LB I was talking to said ooooweee ! Never mind , the noise plod are all in bed after 8pm in my little town. Just as well they live out in the styx .

By LB, I assume that means LadyBoy

Er yes. Some folk might think I talk to Large Beers. Of course ladyboys can scream like a 2t on full chat but not allowed in my pub. Drifting off topic ,time to get me coat.

<deleted> guys.....If you are a biker than you know that all! produced bikes are under 95 dB.

Only if you're manipulate the mufflers ............

So better you put the police with their asses on the street.

But its more lucrative to push the guild to factories.

Good that here is no corruption.....