6 Month Limit to the 90 Day Tourist Visas?

What is the "6 month limit" I have been hearing people talk about on the 90 day tourist visas?

This is the state of my visa:

1) Left Thailand to go to Cambodia when I came back got 30 Day on Arrival Tourist Visa, and I extended that 30 Days at Immigration.

2 ) I went to Vientiane Laos and got a 60 day Tourist Visa that I will extend for another 30 days. That will all expire come July 18th.

So on July 18th I will travel again to Vientiane or another place that issues the 60 day tourist visas.

Now at that point I will have done the 60 day tourist visa with the 30 day extensions 2 times in a row, for a total of 6 months.

After that, what do I do for a tourist visa? Can I go get another 60 day tourist visa or will they deny me and make me stay out of the country for a certain amount of time before I can come back?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Edited by thaiguy878

There is no limit for toruist visas and in Vientiane and Savanakhet you can even get a double entry tourist visa. After a few toruist visas from the same consulate back to back they can deny them, but warn you in advance.

The 6 month wanring is more a check for people on visa exempt entries, to make sure they are not working here illegally.

"After a few tourist visas from the same consulate back to back they can deny them, but warn you in advance."

Hmm, what do you mean warn you in advance?

So there is a limit, a 6 month limit (doing them back to back) at the same place?

Also, are you saying if I don't go to the same place to get the 60 day tourist visa every time then there is no limit?

Also, what is the double entry visa? Is that still 60 days but means you can leave Thailand and come back without burning the visa right?

Thanks for the help!

There is no rule that limits your stay to only 6 months in a year on tourist visas.

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos that will give you almost 6 months of total stay by extending each 60 day entry by 30 days at immigration. After the first entry and extension you need to leave the country before the enter before date on the visa to use the 2nd entry.

Normally Vientiane will issue up to 3 two entry tourist visas back to back. When you have gotten the last one they will do that put stamp saying that the next time you will need to show financial proof and proof of residence to get another one.

Holy crap, I only got 60 days that I will extend another 30, I could have got more then that on one visit? Wow why did no one tell me that!

"You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos that will give you almost 6 months of total stay by extending each 60 day entry by 30 days at immigration"

All I needed to do was apply for 2 when I went instead of 1? I saw that option but thought it meant how many times I could leave Thailand and come back without voiding it.

6 Month Limit to the 90 Day Tourist Visas

Possibly the 6 months limit (or more frequently 3 months) he heard about is a reference to the expiration of the visa?? The visa will have a "use by" date printed on it and the countdown starts from when it is issued by the embassy or consulate, not from the first entry to Thailand.

There is no 90 day tourist visa. You would get 60 days on entry and you can get a 30 day extension of stay that would give you a total of 90 days per entry, but if you have a 2 entry visa, the second entry still needs to be used before the actual visa expires.

• Like 1

Are you perhaps referring to the fact that your tourist Visa must be used within 6 months.

When a Visa is issued it has a "use by date", for single or double entry visas that is 6 months, for tripe entry it's 9 months and for Multi-entry it's 12 months.

That simply refers to the date by which you must enter Thailand to use the visa, it's often confusing for tourists because it's unrelated to the date by which you must leave.

Are you perhaps referring to the fact that your tourist Visa must be used within 6 months.

When a Visa is issued it has a "use by date", for single or double entry visas that is 6 months, for tripe entry it's 9 months and for Multi-entry it's 12 months.

That simply refers to the date by which you must enter Thailand to use the visa, it's often confusing for tourists because it's unrelated to the date by which you must leave.

The enter before dates for tourist visas that allow more than one entry can be 3 or 6 months from the date the visa issued. There is no 9 month visa validity.

Non immigrant visas are the only ones that are issued as a multiple entry and have a 12 month validity form the date of issue.

Holy crap, I only got 60 days that I will extend another 30, I could have got more then that on one visit? Wow why did no one tell me that!

"You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos that will give you almost 6 months of total stay by extending each 60 day entry by 30 days at immigration"

All I needed to do was apply for 2 when I went instead of 1? I saw that option but thought it meant how many times I could leave Thailand and come back without voiding it.

In some countries you can get a triple entry tourist visa. That's 3x60 days, and each 60 day period can be extended by a further 30 days. So you can stay in Thailand for about 9 months in total.

• Like 1

That's <deleted> awesome guys. I have been so mis informed over the years! The 2 or 3 entry visa sounds perfect, not a big deal to leave the country every 6-9 months.

Thanks so much everyone who contributed.

Last question... anyone know where they will issue a 3x entry tourist visa?

Not in the neigbourhood. (In Laos you can get a triple entry tourist visa, but it will only have a validity of 6 month, not 9.)

On a tourist visa you still have to leave the country every 60 days (or 90 if you get an extension).

That's <deleted> awesome guys. I have been so mis informed over the years! The 2 or 3 entry visa sounds perfect, not a big deal to leave the country every 6-9 months.

Generally speaking, triple entry tourist visas are applied for in your home country. Requirements vary. They may want to see air tickets in and out of Thailand for each of the entries.

If you are already in Thailand, the double entry tourist visas from Laos are usually your best option.

I am just living here as a Tourist, maybe will go home in a year or two and have been here for over 5 years now on diff types of visas, education etc.

Now going to give it a try just living here on the tourist visa. Seems like the double entry at Laos are the way to go. Leave country every 6 months and pretty cheap. Not that bad.

Expenses per year would be:

Travel to Laos 2 Times a Year = ?

1900 Baht for Double Entry x4 = 7600 Baht

1900 to Extend Stay 30 days x4 = 7600 Baht

15,200 Baht for 1 Year Tourist Visa + Expense of Laos Travel

-----

So there is no limit on doing the double entry from Laos? You say after back to back double entry they will ask you to prove income and residence. What is the process for that? I am renting a house here, is that enough?

Also, can I avoid the questioning by going to a different place after back to back? Just curious.

Thanks so much everyone. Nice to have this all ironed out perfectly.

You still have to leave the country after 90 days. You can't stay 6-9 months

thaiguy878 says "Leave country every 6 months and pretty cheap. Not that bad."

If that is what is intended allowance must be made for the overstay fines which will increase by 500 Bht /day for every day spent in country in excess of the 60 days (+ 30 days if extended) permitted by a tourist visa ! smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

I worded that wrong.

I meant, GO BACK TO LAOS and apply for visa stuff every 6 Months.

Yes, I see, even with double entry, still need to leave country every 90 days.

So there is no limit on doing the double entry from Laos? You say after back to back double entry they will ask you to prove income and residence. What is the process for that? I am renting a house here, is that enough?

Also, can I avoid the questioning by going to a different place after back to back? Just curious.

I am just living here as a Tourist, maybe will go home in a year or two and have been here for over 5 years now on diff types of visas, education etc.

Now going to give it a try just living here on the tourist visa. Seems like the double entry at Laos are the way to go. Leave country every 6 months and pretty cheap. Not that bad.

-----

Sorry but your math is wrong. For one year you only need two double entry visas 2 x 2000 is 4000 plus two extensions of 30 days at 2 x 1900 is 3800 for a total of 7800 baht. Now you can also add in having to exit four four times so you will need visas from adjacent country lets say 4 x 1200 is 4800. 12600 is the new total. Add the cost of visa runs say 3000 x 4 equals 12000. The tourist visa route will cost around 24600 for one year.

When I applied for 1 entry it costs 1900, so I assumed it would cost double that for the double entry.

"The tourist visa route will cost around 24600 for one year."

That's fine. Education visas and other ways seem to cost more then that.

My questions is... Why would the thai government not want to regulate this and sell 1 year tourist visa for 30k baht. Do a background check and let the tourists stay, minus all the hassle to go around the system.

Edited by thaiguy878

My questions is... Why would the thai government not want to regulate this and sell 1 year tourist visa for 30k baht. Do a background check and let the tourists stay, minus all the hassle to go around the system.

My guess is that tourist visas are intended for trips to Thailand for short stays for the purpose of tourism, not for a continuous stay of one year or longer, interrupted only by a few one-day trips across the border.

-----

Sorry but your math is wrong. For one year you only need two double entry visas 2 x 2000 is 4000 plus two extensions of 30 days at 2 x 1900 is 3800 for a total of 7800 baht. Now you can also add in having to exit four four times so you will need visas from adjacent country lets say 4 x 1200 is 4800. 12600 is the new total. Add the cost of visa runs say 3000 x 4 equals 12000. The tourist visa route will cost around 24600 for one year.

To stretch two double entry tourist visas for (almost) a year, you would still need four extensions - not two.

Sophon

Another option worth considering would be a Non-Immigrant B visa (conducting business)(multiple entry). This can be arranged through most visa companies with little effort and minimal justification. A friend of mine often uses Siam Legal. You're required to leave every three months, which can be done at minimal expense. If youre in BKK you can catch the train- 6 hours- to Aranyaprathet for 46 baht. $20 for Cambodian visa. And return the next day. Similar cost, but less hassle with extrnsions and dealing with consulates/embassies. My 2 cents.

Fyi ... there are a few countries allow to enter Thai without visa and you will get 90 days on arrival but you must Be citizen of that country ...Peru Argentina and other 3 countries with valid passport

You get out and come in again with a new 90 days

Great easy and legal and immigrations are very happy to help you come in ...beautiful

C

Sorry to highjack the topic here - but

In Phoenix, AZ now. I wanted to reserve flights to go back to Thailand and

decided this time to not bother with the O-A visa and then decided not to deal with the consulate in Salt Lake City for a Tourist visa. I would have to mail in the application a nd then wait two weeks and then make an appt... drive a few hundred miles and time is getting close to the date I want to leave

I figured I could arrive in Chiang Mai without a visa, with an onward RT ticket to Laos within 30 days, get a 30-day permit from Thai Immigration.....

Fly to Vientiane and get the 2-entry Tourist Visa there. In Chiang Mai, I can aply for another visa after my 6 months of time is up - or I could get the one-year extension, as I have in the past.

I only want to go back to Thailand to marry the g/f I left behind, since I have learned that a Tourist visa to the U.S.A. is not the way to go and I must get a fiance or spouse visa in Thailand. Could take a year to do.

So what is my question?

Today the travel agent at the AAA office told me I need a visa to go to Laos - ?!

Said so on her computer.

I believed that farangs made the border run to Vientiane all the time to get the a visa for Thailand.

Has this been changed???

Is this