Corruption at all schools

This was a post today by one of your senior members and I wish to elaborate if I may, I had the same experience several years back at a school in Hatyai. It was at Tessaban 4 school and I was helping a boy scout group compete in a science competition. They worked very hard as it had to be done English. the end result was out of 11 other schools they came in first place and won the prize of 40,000 baht. A few days later I saw the kids and asked them what they spent their money on, I was taken aback at their answer. They received NO money. The Thai group leader, whose name I will with-hold had spent the money on a new motorbike. I did some investigation and with proof and evidence I confronted this piece of low life and told him, in Thai, that if he did not return ALL the money to the boys with-in 24 hours I would take this to the police and television and newspaper and post it all over the internet. Amazingly the money was return to the boys the next day and was split evenly among them. They were able to buy tents and camping equipment. Thus the leader was removed from the troop.

My point being, sometimes, even as foreigners, when children are involved we must set things right, I would very much like to know the name of this school, thanks to all.

Pormax

• Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 681 posts

Posted Today, 07:04

star_big.png
POPULAR

Maybe good news at last on the corruption front but it has to be done across the board.

Not just the top tier like the government officials but with the lower ranks such as the police and school teachers.

Heard one such case only last week. My wife has neices and nephews who are aged between 6 and 8 who go to the local village school.

The pupils are 'encouraged to save money' with their teachers, normally about 5B a day.

The neice came home the other day asking for my wife to now keep any money she saves as she does not want to give to the teacher.

This action was sparked when the nephew was told he had accumaleted savings with the teacher of 400B but he could not have it back as the teacher had no money to give him.

Some of the children were given back the money they saved by some teachers, but other teachers would not give back at all.

5B a day for 30 children in a class is a lot of extra cash to top up one's wages.

The parent's however are afraid to go and see the teacher or tell their children not to give the teacher money as they fear the children will be victimised by the teacher.

This is the sort of corruption that should be stamped on before the children except this as a way of life, and do similar when they grow up.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience in this country teaching in many many different ares I have found this to be prevalent i many many government schools and I will not even elaborate on International schools, If you have been a long standing teacher you know the corruption that goes on in every government school, and I could give example that would fill 50 pages on this forum, but thank you for your comment.

In my experience in this country teaching in many many different ares I have found this to be prevalent i many many government schools and I will not even elaborate on International schools, If you have been a long standing teacher you know the corruption that goes on in every government school, and I could give example that would fill 50 pages on this forum, but thank you for your comment.

That's a lot of examples, fire away!

OK, Here's another

Started my 3 1/2 year old in what's supposed to be the best kindergarden school in Udon Thani.

3,000 baht per month school fee.

after one month, teacher takes the nanny to the side and says for 3,000 baht per month to her my son will receive "special" treatment.

I just ignored it and the matter dropped.

Previously out in the countryside it was normal for the teacher to do the same in the playschool

Doesn't suprise me

Sounds like a 1 in a million experience. My experience in Thailand (however, mostly with forengiers) is that direct confrontation gives them time to lie to anyone who will listen to them, thus discrediting you and making you ignored if you officially complain about them. I know of one school where I confronted a teacher who was high most of the day (going off campus to get high on lunch also) and another who thought it was ok to develop a "romantic" relationship with a 16y./o student. How did they respond? By going to the principle and complaining I was a trouble maker and shouldnt be listend to. The principle then began ignoring me an refuses to even speak with me. Now the druggy and pedo get new contracts and I am let go. Thailand is not a place for whistle blowers.

Our son, now 16, was the main character in a skit, called “Sleeping Handsome” where he played the prince, about two years ago..

The three girls did a great job as well and a no name school from Sisaket grabbed the gold medal and bet the schitt out of all other competitors nationwide, of course also those with EP programmes who had spent months on preparation, included.

The little shithole was generous and the 400 K were spent wisely. A big, aeeeh I ean really a big big holiday, finest art in Rayong, was one part.

But not for the guys who made it happen. They had to pay for their own freaky trip to Rayong, on diet. sad.png

The rest of the money was- I'd assume also spent for stuff they urgently needed, or not. Or both.facepalm.gif

All the freaks, head of the department, the head teacher and many more became superstars over night. But the whole shit was first corrected by me, of course completely out of order.

Then several meetings with the actors, who're dressed in fancy old styled clothes. I taught them when to use body language and when, when to smile and how to pronounce each and every word.

The kids were really happy, as something like that isn't achievable twice. The kids are really pissed now and it turned out that the gold medals weren't even "gold coated", they were using some freaking color to make it look like gold.

Nobody gave the kids anything, nobody even said thank you to me. I do have a lot of photos, but their privacy is more important.

But please see the "Gold Medals" attached. 400 K, spent by teachers from a little shithole school, who gave nothing to those who made it happen and possible.

Another guy once called the same thing: " The Pursuit of Happiness", because he thought he was a proud daddy.

post-158336-0-92189100-1432831349_thumb.

post-158336-0-81138100-1432831956_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

BAHN HUANAKLANG Chonabot District.

Director and teachers at this school are 100% HONEST.

People like the OP of this thread should SHUT UP and stop spouting rubbish, get your facts straight before you speak.

If you'd write a book I would buy it!

It cost serious money to attend the better public schools. My wife's niece was a top student at the jr. high level. To get into the better Udon Thani high school it was going to run 20000baht +++. The family didn't have the money.

whistling.gif It is not unusual for parents of children whose mothers have Farang husbands or even just unmarried Farang Partners with their Thai children in school to get visits from school officials to suggest that for xxxxx Baht their children would get a good score on some important test or event.

Some years ago that very thing happened to my Thai (unmarried) girlfriend when it was suggested that her granddaughter would get a passing score on an important school exam if my Thai girlfriend had xxxxx Baht available

My girlfriend simply told this person that she didn't have that kind of money, because not all Farangs where really rich..

That was the end of it.

I worked in a school for a few years and usually at the start of both semesters new equipment would appear in the directors main office. The usual, flat screen tv's, laptops and once a massage chair. Surprisingly after a day or so they where never be seen again. Also over the time I was at the school the director must of changed cars 3 or 4 times and always brand new, with red plates. Now people could say I am talking BS but I am going out on a pretty strong limb here and believe that these items were not purchased with the directors money but more likely what comes from the government budget each semester plus the extra that is drummed up at parent meetings to supposedly build or improve a part of the school.

I know what I saw and it was very clearly corruption and not only with the director but other members of the board as well as of course they want their nose in the trough too.

Less spectacular but still:

The local school wanted me to teach English but had no money and never even heard of a WP. The money would have to come from the Orbortor but "money finit". Maybe I could give from the heart?

A couple of weeks later all the staff (10+ people) at the Orbortor went to Phuket for a "seminar", all expenses paid by mr. T.Axpayer....

The local school wanted me to teach English but had no money and never even heard of a WP. The money would have to come from the Orbortor but "money finit". Maybe I could give from the heart?

A couple of weeks later all the staff (10+ people) at the Orbortor went to Phuket for a "seminar", all expenses paid by mr. T.Axpayer....

Heard many examples like this. IMO it's being treated like a mug or at best, somebody who is perceived not to need money.

Both are insulting.

It can be more subtle. We pay a modest ฿11 000 a year for our 8 year old. She does quite well.

What I object to is kids being offered weekend school, after hours school and even summer holidays school. If we say no, then the teachers involved lose income, so our child is potentially disadvantaged. She never comes higher than half way up the classification list when we know that her Chinese and English are damn near perfect. If extra tuition is needed I find that this should be discussed with the parents first.

Heard many examples like this. IMO it's being treated like a mug or at best, somebody who is perceived not to need money.

Both are insulting.

Oh, it's a farang. He must be rich already, looking for a hobby. Yeah right, dream on.

Why do you think schools insist that CA$H be paid for a special program?!?

Are schools ever getting audited? Or are these income streams outside the main government programs for profit?

Both are insulting.

Oh, it's a farang. He must be rich already, looking for a hobby. Yeah right, dream on.

I came here a little rose tinted I confess. But that changed pretty quickly. Now my glasses are just clear glass, no colouring. And the place does look quite different I must say! I still like it but for living here and building a future, mwah, I don't think so...

BAHN HUANAKLANG Chonabot District.

Director and teachers at this school are 100% HONEST.

People like the OP of this thread should SHUT UP and stop spouting rubbish, get your facts straight before you speak.

There's a first, farang who's seen ALL the accounts from a school, knows exactly what each teacher, HOD's, admim and director are all up to everyday since they began their tenure.

Its amazing that you have such a privileged position here.

My 12 Y.O. step daughter came home from school last Thursday with a request that all parents donate money to help build a new class room.

This is at a very large Government school in Korat with about 3,000 pupils.

To me this seems like another scam, Why would a Government school make this request? To put money into the teachers & admin pocket. I could be wrong about this but I don't think so. In any case they wont get any money from this household.

Corruption is rife throughout every walk of life in Thailand.

The school that Mrs Jessi just resigned from is now having an inquiry into different cost saying that people have given false receipts for goods & service supplied. This is an international school in Korat.

So the list goes on.coffee1.gif

OK, Here's another

Started my 3 1/2 year old in what's supposed to be the best kindergarden school in Udon Thani.

after one month, teacher takes the nanny to the side and says for 3,000 baht per month to her my son will receive "special" treatment.

Previously out in the countryside it was normal for the teacher to do the same in the playschool

Doesn't suprise me

you actually thought you were getting the best schooling possible at the rate of 100 baht per day?

OK, Here's another

Doesn't suprise me

you actually thought you were getting the best schooling possible at the rate of 100 baht per day?

Even though swedish schools are pretty damn bad nowadays they are still light years a head of Thailand and when i did pay taxes in Sweden i paid less for each day at school/daycare for my child. I could in theory move to Finland, get the best education in the world for my children, and still pay less than that each day.

Both teachers should have been charged with theft.

So that's 2 examples, how does that make all schools corrupt?

t doesn't.......but if you dig a little deeper, you'll find they are....the worst of all are the Universities.

your Doctor may have a degree in medicine but don't ask how he got it.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

OK, Here's another

Doesn't suprise me

Even though swedish schools are pretty damn bad nowadays they are still light years a head of Thailand and when i did pay taxes in Sweden i paid less for each day at school/daycare for my child. I could in theory move to Finland, get the best education in the world for my children, and still pay less than that each day.

I'm assuming you were educated in Sweden or Scandinavia.........but it seems that the system, however good passed you by.

You arguing back-to-front - You are referring to some sets of figures and mistakenly relating them to confirm your own prejudices.......

finland no longer rates as the "best" (whatever that is) education system in the world and Sweden has slipped but still remains in the top 25....this doesn't necessarily mean drop in "standards" but a raising of standards of competitors.

I also see you are mixing up the idea of "schools" and an education system.....any system by nature of it's size will have both good and bad schools and if like yourself you have little or no knowledge of eduction then it would be very difficult to determine which school is best for your children.

the main problem with these "league tables" - is they generate the football supporter mentality - education is not a competition it is a serious business of raising ADULTS who are rational people who can contribute to their own societies and eve the world in general.

as for you efforts to cost education, well everyone pays - but in general a state system is the preferred method and everyone pays from their taxes - Sweden is noted for it's very high taxes levied on it's citizens and they bear the fruit of this......

those who think they can lie outside the state, pay no taxes etc etc and be "free" - can also reap the benefits of the consequent health and education systems in countries where taxes are low......

in the end when it comes to education "everyone's an expert" - well they aren't! and like any other profession if they aren't part of it they probably know diddly about it.....ye eduction is one of those things that regardless of how little people really know they are determined to voice what they mistakenly believe to be a opinion.

OK, Here's another

Doesn't suprise me

I'm assuming you were educated in Sweden or Scandinavia.........but it seems that the system, however good passed you by.

You arguing back-to-front - You are referring to some sets of figures and mistakenly relating them to confirm your own prejudices.......

finland no longer rates as the "best" (whatever that is) education system in the world and Sweden has slipped but still remains in the top 25....this doesn't necessarily mean drop in "standards" but a raising of standards of competitors.

I also see you are mixing up the idea of "schools" and an education system.....any system by nature of it's size will have both good and bad schools and if like yourself you have little or no knowledge of eduction then it would be very difficult to determine which school is best for your children.

the main problem with these "league tables" - is they generate the football supporter mentality - education is not a competition it is a serious business of raising ADULTS who are rational people who can contribute to their own societies and eve the world in general.

as for you efforts to cost education, well everyone pays - but in general a state system is the preferred method and everyone pays from their taxes - Sweden is noted for it's very high taxes levied on it's citizens and they bear the fruit of this......

those who think they can lie outside the state, pay no taxes etc etc and be "free" - can also reap the benefits of the consequent health and education systems in countries where taxes are low......

in the end when it comes to education "everyone's an expert" - well they aren't! and like any other profession if they aren't part of it they probably know diddly about it.....ye eduction is one of those things that regardless of how little people really know they are determined to voice what they mistakenly believe to be a opinion.

Hilarious that a person who himself doesn't know anything about education tell other people they don't know anything about education. Keep up the good work "champ".

whistling.gif It is not unusual for parents of children whose mothers have Farang husbands or even just unmarried Farang Partners with their Thai children in school to get visits from school officials to suggest that for xxxxx Baht their children would get a good score on some important test or event.

Some years ago that very thing happened to my Thai (unmarried) girlfriend when it was suggested that her granddaughter would get a passing score on an important school exam if my Thai girlfriend had xxxxx Baht available

My girlfriend simply told this person that she didn't have that kind of money, because not all Farangs where really rich..

That was the end of it.

Why do people always state that 'I do not have the money'; why not just state that their child (or granddaughter or whatever) will pass the test based on merit. In other words, the child will answer the questions correctly based on intelligence.

If the child cannot pass the test, then perhaps they are not ready to move on to the next level.

P.S. I also would expect parents to ensure that their child is performing well in school, pushing them along to complete home works and other tasks, and to ensure that the child is prepared for whatever test may come. But I guess that is asking for too much... or is it?

Because yourself or others already paid through taxation... not sure how this is at all relevenant to what I wrote.