Burn's Burgers

Ulysses G.

There are a number of "burger vans" or trucks on the scene now. They all seem to be doing a roaring business.

According to that ultra reliable source of information, Trip Adviser, the "Burgerholic" van is now the second best restaurant in Chiang Mai! Second only to DK David's Kitchen.

I like their burgers and fries a lot, but not fond of the pulled pork or veggie burgers. I only go there for one thing, but that is pretty typical for a burger place.

Not to derail the thread too much but I was in Makro last night and saw a 1 kg. pack of "Supreme" beef burgers. 8 X 125 gram burgers for 309 Baht. I thought the price was good for "supreme" quality and tossed the pack in the cart. Then I got to reading the label and saw that in the ingredients, เนื้อวัว "beef" was 65%! <deleted>? Salt and pepper were only something like 2% or thereabouts, and then there was a Thai word I wasn't familiar with (and admittedly didn't have my glasses) that made up for the other 30 something percent. So I asked someone in the frozen department if they could explain it to me. I could see the guy struggle to explain and finally he said it was something along the lines of "other".

Other what?? I tossed it back in the freezer case. No thanks. Anyone else seen that?

I read that Olive Oil isn't good for pan frying. Are there any indications Carl's Jr. will come to CNX?

Olive oil in moderation is healthier than other commonly used cooking oils, but it has a lower combustion temperature. If you try to fry with it at high heat it can burst into flames. However I've fried burgers with it with no problems.

No idea about Cal's Jr.

I wonder why the lack of comments/threads on Sunrise Tacos? He uses good quality Australian Beef, and cheese from California. Did he not pay his protection advertising fee, or is that just a location most of us avoid. Star Ave. is really nice if you are stuck at the bus station for a few hours.

re

Not to inject controversy

i had a burger in a place on the corner of ratwithi road last night that i used to rave about

but since the change of owners about 9 months ago

the burgers still great but the fries and salad filling quality have gone through the floor :(

dave2 .. now an ex customer who doesnt like cardboard fries

post-42592-0-01898300-1441267099_thumb.j

re

Not to inject controversy

i had a burger in a place on the corner of ratwithi road last night that i used to rave about

but since the change of owners about 9 months ago

the burgers still great but the fries and salad filling quality have gone through the floor sad.png

dave2 .. now an ex customer who doesnt like cardboard fries

looks decent for 100 THB; certainly not 200.......how much was it?

Yes and Pern's rhymes with Burns, so that is where my theory came from and now I'm sure that it is wrong. tongue.png

That is how Batman and Robin solved crimes on the old show...

There must be a dozen places to get a decent burger on Ratchwithi road, ....and new ones opening all the time.

Sounds to me like one Velma would have cracked.

biggrin.png

Velma_Dinkley.png

I read that Olive Oil isn't good for pan frying. Are there any indications Carl's Jr. will come to CNX?

I doubt it. They were going to go into the Maya and pulled out of it. Heard that they are opening one in Bangkok.

Looks like there are already 3 in BKK, and 2 in Pattaya.

I think "other" could be found in a lot of burgers.

regards Worgeordie

Other what???

That's what's scary. Do we really know what is in our burgers, sausages, and other ground maybe-meat products?

Especially the pink mystery meat called Bologna, I think there will be a lot of 'other' in that,

the E,N, and A,(think carefully)will make up the rest,but I sometimes buy it ,especially the

one with the chillis in it,I think theres a lot of stuff we would not eat,if we seen it been made.

regards Worgeordie

Believe "other" is usually cereal of some sort. Wheat flour, oatmeal, stuff like that which cuts the cost way down and keeps the burger together between the bun. Don't be so fearful, give a try.

30% thats a lot of flour, oat meal. bread on both sides and in the middle!

regards Worgeordie

I wonder why the lack of comments/threads on Sunrise Tacos? He uses good quality Australian Beef, and cheese from California. Did he not pay his protection advertising fee, or is that just a location most of us avoid. Star Ave. is really nice if you are stuck at the bus station for a few hours.

Went once.....never again, even if it was free.

Believe "other" is usually cereal of some sort. Wheat flour, oatmeal, stuff like that which cuts the cost way down and keeps the burger together between the bun. Don't be so fearful, give a try.

30% thats a lot of flour, oat meal. bread on both sides and in the middle!

regards Worgeordie

With that much flour you can eat your burger without the bun, the bread is already in the meat.

It is not that "little I know"....it is practicality.

Sure there are different quality beef from different cows, and fat content.

However...practicality and budget limits my choices. My technique would not change, no matter what "grade" or "quality" of beef I used.

Barbecue is fine...broiling is better. Frying is what most people do here, because the other two are not usually available. I have an oven, but it does not have a broiler. Doing up a bbq for one hamburger is a bit much...although I would prefer it (sometimes) that way.

Your olive oil is burning because your heat is too high. I noticed many people here do not moderate their heat. It is usually all the way on .. or all the way off. If your oil is smoking....you had a pan that was too thin..or your heat too high. Just turn it down.

Hope we cleared up three problems...Quality of beef (up to you and what you can afford...better beef..better hamburger...kids stuff.

BBq is a personal choice, but not practical for one hamburger.......Olive oil is much tastier than other oils...as many in the world would agree...but you need to regulate temperature and cooking times.

Never considered myself lacking in cooking skills.....and everyone has their own recipes/techniques. My main idea is do not squash the life out of your burger...and those frozen patties are hard and lifeless. That was my main point. I like a thicker, jucier burger...not a compressed. dried out, lifeless...burger like Macdonalds.

Archived