Expat Family Communities

STUDMEYER

Hey All,

My expat wife and our son are on the hunt for a rental house. We wanted to get something in a neighbourhood / community where there were some other expats around. We have a real estate agent who is going to help us look around, however we were hoping to get some advice first.

Can anyone suggest other communities that we may want to consider looking at?

Thanks

SM

Lanna Pinery / Home in Park / Lanna Mantra all on the same stretch of roads have the highest concentrations of expat families and their Luk Krungs ;)

There is also a moobaan next to Grace International as well that has aplenty but the houses there are substantially older

As opposed to a 'fake' estate agent?

A bit more detail would help. Kids age, language spoken etc.

"As opposed to a 'fake' estate agent?"

North American terminology. A "real estate agent"

real es·tate
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
property consisting of land or buildings.

Same thing as ...

An estate agent is a person or business that arranges the selling, renting or management of properties, and other buildings, in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Edited by Suradit69

Our son is 6 months old and we plan on being here for a couple of years. Its an english language forum, just figured that was assumed. :)

I've actually lived at Home In Park before and other than long drive, quite enjoyed it. Are there other locations that are a bit closer to town?

Thanks

SM

Our son is 6 months old and we plan on being here for a couple of years. Its an english language forum, just figured that was assumed. smile.png

I've actually lived at Home In Park before and other than long drive, quite enjoyed it. Are there other locations that are a bit closer to town?

Thanks

SM

You could also check Ban Nai Fan 2, about 4 KM closer to town on Canal road from Home in Park.

This my list to consider so far:

- The Emperor

- Home In Park

- Koolapunt 8

- Baan Nai Fun

- Baan Wang Tan

It seems from what i have researched and gathered from thaivisa comments all the expats with families live off Canal Road.

:unsure:

Edited by STUDMEYER

This my list to consider so far:

- The Emperor

- Home In Park

- Koolapunt 8

- Baan Nai Fun

- Baan Wang Tan

It seems from what i have researched and gathered from thaivisa comments all the expats with families live off Canal Road.

unsure.png

Wrong conclusion. That is just where you are being recommended to go.

body{zoom:130%!important;}

unsure.png

So what exactly should I read into your comment? Families who live elsewhere recommend to live on the Canal Road? Families elsewhere don't want any more families from elsewhere moving in? Are these other neighbourhoods a secret?

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate some more.

Thanks

SM

My wife and I live in a moo ban in Sansai there are approx 370 houses and approx 30 are occupied by one or more of the spouses being of foreign origin, some with families.

So to answer your question it is a nice mix of foreign and Thai families where we live with great facilities. I would not like to see it turned into a gehto full of foreign familys so yes it is defiantly a well kept secret.Good luck with your quest to find your new home,

unsure.png

So what exactly should I read into your comment? Families who live elsewhere recommend to live on the Canal Road? Families elsewhere don't want any more families from elsewhere moving in? Are these other neighbourhoods a secret?

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate some more.

Thanks

SM

Read into it whatever you want. Your sample is small and skewed.There are families living all over the place.

But yes of course there are secret neighborhoods, not talked about, hidden from view and password protected.

There are expat families in just about every single community. condos would have more expats by number than most estate communities. I personally would drive out and check out the areas first and try to meet some of these people. Or make friends with people and find out where they live. Just randomly choosing a community that has expats my get you SOL. There are more nutjob expats than normal ones. In our community there are about 25 different expat families, germans, Italians, french, dutch, Canadians, americans and a few others that I have no idea. All in all 1/2 are drunkards and degenerates, 1/4 are invalids or insane, 1/8 are total mysinthropes, 1/8 are actually normal families that you actually spend time with.

There are expat families in just about every single community. condos would have more expats by number than most estate communities. I personally would drive out and check out the areas first and try to meet some of these people. Or make friends with people and find out where they live. Just randomly choosing a community that has expats my get you SOL. There are more nutjob expats than normal ones. In our community there are about 25 different expat families, germans, Italians, french, dutch, Canadians, americans and a few others that I have no idea. All in all 1/2 are drunkards and degenerates, 1/4 are invalids or insane, 1/8 are total mysinthropes, 1/8 are actually normal families that you actually spend time with.

Where do the god squad fit in your classifications?

we like the chang klan area. however, i dont think they have any houses for rent around there. few of the best condos in Chiang mai are around there.

I would highly recommend the lane that goes to peaks development.

quite a mix of different nationalities. different age groups. good community

being in a cul de sac, traffic and related pollution is limited, however, its within 5 mins to all amenities.

peaks spa, 10 mins to night bazar area. loads of restaurants, butter is better!

we love this area for various resasons.

Sorry, I just don't understand the desire to surround oneself with ex-pats - a 'ghetto mentality' surely.

In my experience, ex-pats are generally to be avoided, even those with families.

I endorse the comments by 'zeichen' above.

I enjoy being in a 'foreign country' (even with the many hassles and negatives) and embrace it - ex-pats just ruin the feeling of being somewhere different and special.

Vive la difference!

PS Isn't the Chang Klan area ('mjakob007') prone to flooding in severe rainy periods?

We have not experienced floods in this area, since we have been going to Chiang Mai for the past 5 years.

we only stay 2-3 months. never stayed a full year round.

I dont know the name of the soi, but its adjacent to Shangri la.

Would love to hear from others, if this area gets flooded.

we were planning to buy in one of three the peaks developments in this area.

"enjoy being in a 'foreign country' (even with the many hassles and negatives) and embrace it - ex-pats just ruin the feeling of being somewhere different and special."

you are in the 1/8 percent of misanthropes I suspect.

Why does it matter if someone is an expat or not. Bad people ruin the feeling no matter what their nationality is. People that avoid expats just because they are expats is the same prejudice but in reverse.

I wouldn't avoid someone for being an expat in the same manner I wouldn't befriend them for the same reason. I choose my friends and companions based on a diverse set of criteria and the NIMBY or the I am the only foreigner mentality doesn't cut it.

I dont know the name of the soi, but its adjacent to Shangri la.

Would love to hear from others, if this area gets flooded.

Yes it does. I used to teach near there and had to walk my bicycle through the floods many times all along the main street.

Why on earth would you not want to live beside the seaside. Chiang Mai very bad for your chest and a long way inland. It is not necessary to be at the major resorts and the beach is cheap entertainment for the youngsters.

Thank you, Ulysses G.

Whenever it flooded, do you remember how long it stayed so?

Also, how many years back did you experience this? which months?

Sorry about the barrage of questions...

The older I get, the worse my memory gets, but I have not worked as teacher for many years, so I am talking a while ago. However, just a few years ago, I remember Chang Klan Road near Panthip Plaza - not far from the Shangri La - being very flooded for quite a while. That was the year that Bangkok was really flooded and so many warehouses closed down and it was hard to get some foods in Chiang Mai. I think that was in October and November.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"As opposed to a 'fake' estate agent?"

North American terminology. A "real estate agent"

real es·tate
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
property consisting of land or buildings.

Same thing as ...

An estate agent is a person or business that arranges the selling, renting or management of properties, and other buildings, in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Is there such a thing as an examination and diploma for an Estate Agent? So that you know you are dealing with someone who has some idea of the business.

This is the case for most of Western Europe, if not the UK.