Thai woman faces legal charges for telling lie on Facebook

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- She may regard it as a white lie made just to have fun with a close group of friends. But the Facebook post that she removed five minutes later has landed her in a serious legal trouble and caused her to be bashed with social media outrage.

Daoruang Khansorn, 27, surrendered to Chokchai police station chief Pol Col Chairop Junnawat on Thursday, a day after she put the controversial post on the wall of her Facebook account, Nuu Title Tle.

The post was deleted five minutes later but not before the Rao Rak Dan Tamrual Facebook page has captured the picture of the post and put it on its wall. This time her infamous post seemed to stay forever, inviting so many scornful comments against her.

Daoruang posted that she has been tested to have 90 per cent milligram of blood alcohol level, which is much higher than the legal limit. She said in the post that she was lucky to have a good backing so she could walk beautifully out of the trouble instead of having to go to jail because she has good backing.

But in the post, she posted a picture of a traffic ticket, showing that she drove without a driving license.

After the Rao Rak Dan Tamruaj or We Love Police Checkpoints posted the screen captured photo of her post, it was widely shared. Many Facebook users attacked her of being stupid and of causing trouble to the traffic police officer who issued the ticket.

Then, the Chokchai police station cried foul, saying she did not drink when she was stopped for driving without license. After the infamous post became the talk of the town on online networks, the Nuu Title Tle page was closed police said.

Chairop said the woman was charged with violating the Computer Crime Act with the maximum penalty of five years in jail and/or Bt100,000 fine. She has been released on bail.

Sounds like quite a small white lie, compared to some of the howlers we have heard in recent years. Helicopters can't fly in the dark, and I'm not profiting personally from the asset reurn (other than my 1,000 million baht share of the proceeds.)

I'll cut her some slack because (yet) she hasn't asked to be my friend because she has some obscure relationship with the friend of a friend of someone I used to know. She also doesn't send me status updates before and after every time she takes a crap, or invite me to play some "free" game which actually involves parting with readies on a regular basis, or send me notifications that she just posted another picture of her bloody cat.

My favourite was the Western woman who robbed a bank, and was only caught because she went on Youtube and waved wads of notes around, with "I robbed a bank!" written on a card she held up to the camera.

Its Darwinian out there, seriously.

The police must be praised and highly commended for their diligent detective work in catching a serious criminal.wink.png

Now back to serious police work of busting hi-Lo gambling dens tossing around 20 baht notes from manual laborer who toil in unsafe conditions for 18 hours a day.

I am confused - she was stopped for driving without a licence and is claiming to have been pissed at the time but police are saying she wasn't???

Yes, I don't get why she was charged with anything else - she was done for driving without a license. I guess she is impugning the reputation of the police, so that is fair enough.

Orac posted:

I am confused - she was stopped for driving without a licence and is claiming to have been pissed at the time but police are saying she wasn't???

Yes, as I read it, though it is hardly clear, she is saying she was tested for alcohol in her blood while driving and found to be over the limit but because she is well-connected (implying she knows someone in the police force who told the police officer not to charge her for it) she was only charged with driving without a licence. The police deny her story (of course) and have felt obliged to be consistent with that denial by charging her with an offence under the Computer Crime Act which would have been committed if her implied allegation is false. My guess is the case will be adjourned and adjourned until when everyone has forgotten about it, so that it is out of the news, the case will be dropped so that nobody is embarrassed. This seems to happen a lot over here.

A.

She needs to choose her FB friends better. Having 2000 FB friends means you have 2000 strangers who can jam you up.

B.

Thailand needs to learn that FB is not the real world. A FB post can not only cost you your job and friend, but your freedom as well.

her only mistake was not realising that when she posts something on savefacebook, that what she posts (can) remain visible indefinitly if it gets 'shared', irregardless if her subsequently deleting it from her own timeline

maybe she was on drugs too, and it dulled her senses?

The only other outcome to watch for: is to count the number of other people being arrested, for 'Liking' what she Posted...

Edited by tifino

Whilst there are a million quips I can think of; instead I have a serious question.

If saying something on FB is computer crime then where is the whole freedom of speech thing?

I can understand slander or libel but computer crime?

You can't make this sort of absurdity up.

What is 90% milligram of blood alcohol? I have never heard of that sort of measurement. Like saying I have one kilometer of beer in fridge.

How about going after 90% of Thai women that post on Thai dating sites? "I no have boyfriend", "I have no children", "I have good office job" etc etc

Have people on here missed the point or have I ?.

It seems she got caught speeding without a licence and was drunk. However because of her connections, she was not charged.

Then when she told everyone on Facebook, she is being prosecuted by those same police who say she is lying ?.

And she was criticised for blowing the whistle on the officer ?. What if she had killed someone while drunk ? (the whole reason for the law).

It sounds to me like the police officer should be under investigation. Or the story needs rewriting so it makes sense. The article does not even consider that she is telling the truth as a possibility ??.

The correct charge would have been Accusing (or implying) the police of corruption.

To pose that in FB is not what "computer crime" is about.

Charge her with a crime that will be thrown out after the hue and cry has died out.

Lying on FB page is now a computer crime????????? WOW!!!!!! Unbelievable

Facebook has caused the downfalls of countless people and even murders since it`s launch in 2004.

Not realised by many, facebook is a highly toxic and dangerous media. Whatever people publish on there can be saved, copied and used as evidence against them and plus it`s on there forever. The system is deliberately designed so that no one knows who is looking in. I am positive if facebook members could see who is watching them, they would be horrified and instantly delete their accounts. Anyone who publishes their personal details, photos, daily activities and private thoughts on FB are leaving themselves vulnerable.

Most people would not divulge their daily activities and private lives out in public or even to their neighbors, so why do they believe that the social media is a safe haven to display their private activities?

For millions of people, Facebook has become not only an addiction but also a large part of their mainstream lives, while those that run the setup just sit back and count the $$$$$$$ coming in, with virtually no responsibilities for the welfare of their members and the content uploaded onto the facilities they provide.

I only wish I had thought of it first, a company where idiots willingly give all their information for free and I just relax watching my bank account balance grow by the hour.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I don't use Facebook (I have a real life...).

So what on earth is this 'Rao Rak Dan Tamruaj or We Love Police Checkpoints' FB page?

Perhaps a FB user who has some spare time between taking selfies could visit that page and report back as to what on earth the page content is.