Warm Wine - Am I wasting my money?

On the way home today, I wented into a mom and pop store in town who happen to sell the Mar Sol Chilean wine box at 790B for 4 liters.

I brought it home and poured a glass, It's a hot day. The store is hot and the wine is very warm. Can I detect a vinegary taste.

It's certainly not very nice on the palette.

Am I wasting my money on wine here, if it is not kept (and probably shipped) properly.

I think I might be better off with beer but I don't like what it does to my girth.

Comments?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As if wine is sugar free....chill your red wine normaly here we drink room temp but then again its not hot, was surprised first time i was served chilled red wine in Thailand now i like it.......... I've never been one for casket wines i only buy wine in bottles might have something to do with the fact its at the cheaper end of the spectrum don't you think?

I recently had a red one and a white one.

The red one was OK for a cheap wine but somehow not my style, somehow sweet.

The white one was strange, dark in color and tasted a little bit in the direction of a Greek Retsina. But not like vinegar.

I don't know if that was purpose or if it is the way it is supposed to be.

But I won't buy them anymore.

Typically, those i know that are into wine dont get along well in se asia. The whole fine wine thing is just not in the ballpark culturally or economically here. It usually extends to other areas as well, not just wine.

You may want to consider moving to Portugal. It's probably more your glass of wine.

wine box at 790B for 4 liters.

Am I wasting my money on wine here, if it is not kept (and probably shipped) properly.

You're buying wine at less than Baht 200 a litre. I don't think storage temperatures are the issue. Maybe it's the quality of cardboard used.

When you mention "palette" and boxed wine in the same paragraph, are you being facetious?

While it says "serve at room temperature", in Thailand it should always be chilled. In the end, it depends on your liking. If you like the taste, go for it. If you dislike the taste, try something else. Go to a wine cellar if your into wine and liquor, or scout the wholesale supermarkets if you're into beer. There is enough diversity to experiment with.

*Edit*

Stay away from boxed wine! They have a limited shelf life and while I don't know what preservatives they put in there, I always get massively drunk and experience a huge hangover each and every single time. This never happens to me with bottled wine. I think the correct term for this type of wine is bum wine.

Edited by Stan42

As the prices for wine here are too high for my poor budget, when I do get wine I purchase the Peter Vella brand, usually 299 baht/bottle. The Smooth Red is pretty good, even for a screw cap wine. The House Red to me does not taste as good. For a while you could find the Smooth Red in the 4 or 5 liter boxes, but all I have seen lately is the House Red. Yes, it's cheap wine (for over here), but for one of the less expensive wines I have found it to be fairly good, served warm or chilled!

As if wine is sugar free....chill your red wine normaly here we drink room temp but then again its not hot, was surprised first time i was served chilled red wine in Thailand now i like it.......... I've never been one for casket wines i only buy wine in bottles might have something to do with the fact its at the cheaper end of the spectrum don't you think?

this room red wine temperature tale is quite relative. based on the average room temperature in tropical and subtropical countries (homes being airconditioned to ~25-26º) a red wine aficionado would be horrified to drink his wine at this room temperature.

the correct serving temperature of red wines depends on provenience and type but should never be above 18ºC.

You're buying wine at less than Baht 200 a litre. I don't think storage temperatures are the issue. Maybe it's the quality of cardboard used.

When you mention "palette" and boxed wine in the same paragraph, are you being facetious?

boxed wine never touches any cardboard as it is kept inside a plastic liner bag.

boxed wine never touches any cardboard as it is kept inside a plastic liner bag.

Which is also not suitable for wine or the palette.

I have yet to find a "boxed" wine here in Thailand that isn't mixed with "fruit" to get around the tax requirements

I would even be willing to pay extra for real wine in a box, just for the convenience but alas have never found any

What the OP mentions is not real wine. It's as you describe. Fruit wine. Even says so on the box. And if stored at ambient temperature here, will definitely go bad very fast.

I get a lot of my wine from Central Department store where they guarantee it's been keep at proper temps. I've had a few dodgy bottles and they've replaced them with no questions asked.

If you like wine, and are not rich, Thailand is not the place to be! sad.png

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/45577

Heat is enemy number one for wine. Temperatures higher than 70° F will age a wine more quickly than is usually desirable. And if it gets too much hotter, your wine may get “cooked,” resulting in flat aromas and flavors. The ideal temperature range is between 45° F and 65° F (and 55° F is often cited as close to perfect), though this isn’t an exact science. Don’t fret too much if your storage runs a couple degrees warmer, as long as you’re opening the bottles within a few years from their release.

I wented into a mom and pop store in town who happen to sell the Mar Sol Chilean wine box at 790B for 4 liters.

Am I wasting my money on wine here

You started to waste your money when you stopped at a mom and pop store to buy wine.

Looked at the date on the box? Wouldn't be surprised if it is a few years old.

As the prices for wine here are too high for my poor budget, when I do get wine I purchase the Peter Vella brand, usually 299 baht/bottle. The Smooth Red is pretty good, even for a screw cap wine. The House Red to me does not taste as good. For a while you could find the Smooth Red in the 4 or 5 liter boxes, but all I have seen lately is the House Red. Yes, it's cheap wine (for over here), but for one of the less expensive wines I have found it to be fairly good, served warm or chilled!

Totally agree with you.
Peter Vella is quite clearly better than the other ordinary quality. Box of 4 liters 790 baht in all Tesco Lotus including small. Makro also sometimes but erratic supply.

I hope you are joking. Quality of cardboard? Take a box apart, and you will find that the wine is in an aluminum bag inside. Without giving my credentials, I can tell you that the best way to store wine is in a box. The worst enemy of wine is oxygen, and the second worst thing is sunlight. The box eliminates both factors. When you pull a cork, air flows into the bottle. Having a screwcap helps a lot, but the bag inside the box collapses as you draw wine out of it, keeping air out. We spent so may decades romancing the cork, which can have TCA, and ruin the wine, that it is now a real problem to educate people to look at box wine. The Australians, thankfully, ( and I am from Napa Valley in the US), had the guts to move the industry towards screwcaps, a good stopgap towards the box.There were comments above about white wine being dark. This is a sign that oxygen has gotten to the wine, and destroyed it. Throw it out if you oxidized the wine yourself, or return it if the bottle was new. Wine shops around the world know that wine can be flawed, and will exchange it with no problem. Dealing with temp. in major wine competitions in the US, we serve all wine at room temperature in the judging. Cold temps will soften the flavors of the wine, and not show it's real nuances & aromas. But these competitions are held in areas that are around 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and no humidity. Store your wine closest to the floor as you can in Thailand. Heat rises. I enjoy the white box wines here in Thailand. These are real wineries, but they buy juice that is for sale cheaply. They do not grow their own grapes. Unfortunately, since they are always sourcing juice, their wines can change monthly, as their source of juice changes. I have not yet found a boxed red wine in Thailand that I find drinkable. Maybe next year. I hope so. White wine is far easier to manufacturer to the palette. As far as cost goes, throw that out. Whatever wine you enjoy, whether it is $5 a bottle, or $500 a bottle, is the wine for you. All we ask is a bottle a day!

I have yet to find a "boxed" wine here in Thailand that isn't mixed with "fruit" to get around the tax requirements

I would even be willing to pay extra for real wine in a box, just for the convenience but alas have never found any

Mont Clair can be found boxed, I don't think there is fruit inside.

I hope you are joking. Quality of cardboard? Take a box apart, and you will find that the wine is in an aluminum bag inside. Without giving my credentials, I can tell you that the best way to store wine is in a box. The worst enemy of wine is oxygen, and the second worst thing is sunlight. The box eliminates both factors. When you pull a cork, air flows into the bottle. Having a screwcap helps a lot, but the bag inside the box collapses as you draw wine out of it, keeping air out. We spent so may decades romancing the cork, which can have TCA, and ruin the wine, that it is now a real problem to educate people to look at box wine. The Australians, thankfully, ( and I am from Napa Valley in the US), had the guts to move the industry towards screwcaps, a good stopgap towards the box.There were comments above about white wine being dark. This is a sign that oxygen has gotten to the wine, and destroyed it. Throw it out if you oxidized the wine yourself, or return it if the bottle was new. Wine shops around the world know that wine can be flawed, and will exchange it with no problem. Dealing with temp. in major wine competitions in the US, we serve all wine at room temperature in the judging. Cold temps will soften the flavors of the wine, and not show it's real nuances & aromas. But these competitions are held in areas that are around 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and no humidity. Store your wine closest to the floor as you can in Thailand. Heat rises. I enjoy the white box wines here in Thailand. These are real wineries, but they buy juice that is for sale cheaply. They do not grow their own grapes. Unfortunately, since they are always sourcing juice, their wines can change monthly, as their source of juice changes. I have not yet found a boxed red wine in Thailand that I find drinkable. Maybe next year. I hope so. White wine is far easier to manufacturer to the palette. As far as cost goes, throw that out. Whatever wine you enjoy, whether it is $5 a bottle, or $500 a bottle, is the wine for you. All we ask is a bottle a day!

I totally agree with your last 2 sentences. In Oz, I used to enjoy a cold sparkling Lambrusco.. Some people wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole; but that didn't matter. It's my party and I'll drink what I want to (sorry Lesley). I do miss it over here.

I have seen this comment of added fruit on many threads,. Unfortunately, these get blown out of proportion. Their are many fruit wines in the world. Real wine would never have fruit added, or flavors of fruit added to the wines. Flavors & aromas come from the terroir of the area, as well as the yeast used to turn the sugars into alcohol, and it would be illegal in their country without it be clearly identified on the label. In California, since their climate is ideal for obtaining proper sugar levels before the pick, does not allow any additive to a wine, even sugar. I doubt that any winery from Australia would include any additions other than those wines built to be fruit wines. France, because of their shorter growing season, is allowed to add sugar, because this is necessary for obtain alcohol during fermentation. This does not mean that the sugars remain in the wines. The yeast will consume all of the sugar by changing it into alcohol, making it a dry wine, without residual sugar. I do find in many Australian wines, and California wines, a minty flavor that is caused by the vineyards being surrounded by eucalyptus trees, and the trees drop the these flavors and aromas from their leaves. But it is not added on purpose, but due to terroir. Terroir = relationship of the vines to the sun, how many hours of sunlight received daily, change of temp between night & day, soils, surroundings, humidity, length of time of the season, are just some of the factors.

You have just introduced a bit of wine snobbery into the debate by disparaging screw tops. Talk to wine makers and I think you will find most will opt for Stelvin - screw - tops. The introduction was held up by traditionalists but with up to a 10 per cent loss to cork taint wine makers were anxious to move to the more practical screw tops.