Farang drowns in Pattaya sea

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- An unidentified farang man was found drowned at the Pattaya beach late Friday night.

Pol Lt Temtrong Rodsiri, an officer on duty of Pattaya police station, was informed of the incident at 0:10 am Saturday shortly after the body was found on the beach in front of Soi 12 on Pattaya Beach Road in Tambon Nong Plua of Bang Lamung district.

She rushed to the scene with officials from the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya.

At the scene, they found several onlookers so they cordoned off the area and inspected the body.

The tourist appeared like a Caucasian and appeared to be about 40 to 50 years old. He was wearing black long-sleeve shirt and sport trousers.

Police found bruises on his chest and body and arms and his neck had a wound covered with a plaster. His right eyebrow had a blood trace and his right eye was bruised. However, a doctor said the bruises on his body appeared to have been inflicted long earlier.

The doctor believes the man died about three hours before the officials inspected his body.

He was not carrying any identification document. A cash of Bt50 was found on his body.

No one saw what happened. Witnesses said they just spotted the body that was apparently washed ashore.

The body was sent to the Bang Lamung Hospital for an autopsy.

Some witnesses told police that they heard some shouts from the direction of the floating buoys that mark the swimming zone about three hours later but no one paid attention to the sounds. The buoys, which are made like a floating walkway, are about 50 meters away from the scene.

when I saw him the police had just arrived, and they did walk very quickly. he had no shirt on and was floating face down. he looked quite big and because no one pulled him out I thought he must be bloated and have been dead for a while. no attempt was made to pull him out or revive him or even check to see if he was alive or not. they just left him floating face down and started taking selfies

when I saw him the police had just arrived, and they did walk very quickly. he had no shirt on and was floating face down. he looked quite big and because no one pulled him out I thought he must be bloated and have been dead for a while. no attempt was made to pull him out or revive him or even check to see if he was alive or not. they just left him floating face down and started taking selfies

So he wasn't wearing a black shirt........

A another very fishy story.

Police found bruises on his chest and body and arms and his neck had a wound covered with a plaster. His right eyebrow had a blood trace and his right eye was bruised. However, a doctor said the bruises on his body appeared to have been inflicted long earlier.

Hopefully ab ordinary autospy will be performed.

A farang man?

Isn't there an appropriate English word for that?

This author has some English language issues anyway,

(I am a non native speaker)

inflicted long earlier.

they heard some shouts from the direction of the floating buoys that mark the swimming zone about three hours later
Edited by KhunBENQ

Excellent, they heard shouting ( cries for help? ) from the buoys and nobody took any notice. Too bad, they may have saved a life with some proactive actions. RIP to the gentleman anyway

I dont think many Thais know basic 1st aid or how to react to certain situations. Basic 1st aid and emergency response is taught in primary schools these day in a lot of other countries.

A strange story!. He had long trousers and a long sleeved shirt, so it would appear he wasn't going for a swim. Can you walk around those buoys - as a bet maybe?. Mind you, if it was a drunken bet, then someone would have been there to see it and protect the investment..

OMG, I'm turning into a TVF 'Watson' !!

It just sound suspicious to me. Interesting that the copper was a woman lieutenant - normally it's a colonel or something who 'rushes' to the scene. I suppose they don't do the night shift.

What a cynic I am becoming.

"Foreigner drowns in Pattaya Sea" would be a respectful headline, not only to the person that has succumbed, but also to foreigners reading the article.

"Farang" is a derogatory word.

"Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Right. Once I told a guy he was an 'alien' in this country. He nearly hit me, saying "I'm a farang". Even when I explained that I was talking in the formal sense - as we had been discussing immigration law - and that he was in fact both, one formal and the other informal, he just wouldn't believe me.

So he wasn't wearing a black shirt........

I didnt have a close look but it looked like he had shorts on. if he had a shirt on it was around his waist and if he had trousers on they were up round his knees. Maybe someone pulled him out and took off his shirt then put him back in the sea face down before the police came but that seems odd. what I found most odd is that the police stood round looking at him floating face down for ten minutes before they even touched him. didnt even check to see if there was a pulse. I assumed he must have been bloated and rotting so obviously dead but it seems not. anyway if you search facebook there should be lots of photos

talked to a few people that witnessed what happened before I arrived, I dont want to refute the official line but the injures sustained is a clue, if anyone, especially a reputed journalist, wants to follow up please pm me

this does not involve the police or army (apart from the cover up) but a group that has been allowed to harass and extort from people in the area for several months

and it wasnt an accidental drowning

Edited by phycokiller

the discussion about word "farang" (ฝรั่ง). Just take it as it is, means "non-thai" more than anything else, no derogatory term, no offense. Period.

If it were a Chinese tourist would it have been 'elite farang'?

On another note, I'm pretty sure Farang refers to an outsider of different origin and by appearance - can, and is used in derogatory terms (not in this case but the editor could have gone for a litle more tact in the selection of this title), since many similar words used in Western society to differentiate between people of different origin or appearance, are associated with severe racism.

Edited by coulson

the discussion about word "farang" (ฝรั่ง). Just take it as it is, means "non-thai" more than anything else, no derogatory term, no offense. Period.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Farang refers to an outsider of different origin and by appearance - can, and is used in derogatory terms (not in this case but the editor could have gone for a litle more tact in the selection of this title), since many similar words used in Western society to differentiate between people of different origin or appearance, are associated with severe racism.

and one can call someone "Sir" in derogatory way as well, depends on conditions :-)

back to topic, would be nice if some journalist do follow up the original story as we can see what really happened to the farang there

"Foreigner drowns in Pattaya Sea" would be a respectful headline, not only to the person that has succumbed, but also to foreigners reading the article.

"Farang" is a derogatory word.

Only in the minds of some farang.

But this one has been done to death on ThaiV. Roughly 50% for the motion and 50% against I would surmise - population of Thai nation-wide farangs (probably 80/20 in Patts). laugh.png

A man has died under questionable circumstances, yet your concern lies with the use of language that can be construed as racist?

Thanks for proving my point, somody died, therefore the writer should be more focused on what he writes ;)

You are right though, it is a horrible incident, RIP.

beaten unconscious and left to die in the sea is what happened, in front of numerous witnesses who are harrased by the police nightly and will likely suffer the same fate if they were to report it to the police. I doubt we will hear much more about this but this gang has been assaulting and extorting in this area for quite some time and are the self proclaimed mafia in the area. its a shame they will be allowed to continue their violent attacks for the sake of protecting Thai tourism. it should be noted that there are numerous cameras in the area if the police did decide to investigate. even with no witnesses its pretty obvious from the description of the injures that the guy was involved in a fight before he ended in the sea. he made the mistake of having a drink with the luntic mafia who have been doing public attacks on tourists and Thais in this area for months

Edited by phycokiller

beaten unconscious and left to die in the sea is what happened, in front of numerous witnesses who are harrased by the police nightly and will likely suffer the same fate if they were to report it to the police. I doubt we will hear much more about this but this gang has been assaulting and extorting in this area for quite some time and are the self proclaimed mafia in the area. its a shame they will be allowed to continue their violent attacks for the sake of protecting Thai tourism. it should be noted that there are numerous cameras in the area if the police did decide to investigate. even with no witnesses its pretty obvious from the description of the injures that the guy was involved in a fight before he ended in the sea. he made the mistake of having a drink with the luntic mafia who have been doing public attacks on tourists and Thais in this area for months

Nasty business.

I do believe that Pattaya is more dangerous as there is so little money around and so few spending tourists

Makes it even worse to think that you can be beat up in front of a bunch of people and left to die especially in a very prominent spot in the middle of a busy tourist area.

talked to a few people that witnessed what happened before I arrived, I dont want to refute the official line but the injures sustained is a clue, if anyone, especially a reputed journalist, wants to follow up please pm me

this does not involve the police or army (apart from the cover up) but a group that has been allowed to harass and extort from people in the area for several months

So go to the police with your (apparently second-hand) information if it doesn't involve them, or are you not that much of an upstanding citizen.

Why make the comment you did on an insignificant forum that carries no weight, except with it's rather dubious members, expecting "reputed" journalists to contact you? How many have been in touch with you for the information you have?

So go to the police with your (apparently second-hand) information if it doesn't involve them, or are you not that much of an upstanding citizen.

Why make the comment you did on an insignificant forum that carries no weight, except with it's rather dubious members, expecting "reputed" journalists to contact you? How many have been in touch with you for the information you have?

these guys have been violently attacking people in public for months now, you seriously think the police care? and besides, the farang spoke bad so he deserved it.

this is Thailand, like most Thais Ive learned to avoid the police, but I will post on a forum so maybe others can learn from this guys mistake

in the meantime you can keep the police theory, the guy was beaten up and then sometime later accidentally fell in the sea or committed suicide

Edited by phycokiller

Police investigate suspicious death of foreigner on Pattaya Beach

beach-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--In the early hours of Saturday Police were called to Pattaya Beach to investigate the discovery of a body, washed up on Pattaya Beach.

Officers arrived at the scene and inspected the body of the foreign national, thought to be European and aged in his forties. He was fully clothed and appeared to have earlier sustained injuries to his body and face. One of the facial injuries was covered by a plaster suggesting his injuries were sustained some time before his death.

People on the beach did indicate to Police that they earlier heard raised voices but the argument was not intense enough for them to take any notice. They could not confirm if the dead man was involved.

Read more:http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199164/police-investigate-suspicious-death-of-foreigner-on-pattaya-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-05-31

Never walked along the beach side of beach rd after 6pm, Not a good place due to prostitution, both ladies and men, pimps, pickpockets, a bit like the beaches of brazil actualy

Police investigate suspicious death of foreigner on Pattaya Beach

beach-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--In the early hours of Saturday Police were called to Pattaya Beach to investigate the discovery of a body, washed up on Pattaya Beach.

Officers arrived at the scene and inspected the body of the foreign national, thought to be European and aged in his forties. He was fully clothed and appeared to have earlier sustained injuries to his body and face. One of the facial injuries was covered by a plaster suggesting his injuries were sustained some time before his death.

People on the beach did indicate to Police that they earlier heard raised voices but the argument was not intense enough for them to take any notice. They could not confirm if the dead man was involved.

Read more:http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199164/police-investigate-suspicious-death-of-foreigner-on-pattaya-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2015-05-31

Perhaps he tried to walk along them cones, slipped and hurt his face and body, or even knocked himself out.BTW somebody nicked his shoes so defo a murder then

So how do you explain he had his shirt and pants on in the pictures ? I smell BS:

these guys have been violently attacking people in public for months now, you seriously think the police care? and besides, the farang spoke bad so he deserved it.

this is Thailand, like most Thais Ive learned to avoid the police, but I will post on a forum so maybe others can learn from this guys mistake

in the meantime you can keep the police theory, the guy was beaten up and then sometime later accidentally fell in the sea or committed suicide

Somebody who "speaks bad" deserves to die? Is that your personal opinion? Will you post more on your travel blog soon?

Your advice is urgently needed. Thanks a lot in advance, seems your knowledge could help many expats and experts too. thumbsup.gif