Yingluck, Surapong could face charges relating to Thaksin passports

Lite Beer

Yingluck, Surapong could face charges relating to Thaksin passports

BANGKOK, 30 May 2015 (NNT) - Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her then-foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul could face charges for giving ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra back his passports in 2011, according to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

The NACC will hold a meeting next month to decide if it will indict Ms Yingluck and Mr Surapong on charges of abuse of authority. In Oct 2011, Mr Surapong ordered the Foreign Ministry to return the passports back to Thaksin as a "New Year's gift".

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday revoked Thaksin's two passports following his recent comments in Seoul.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-30 footer_n.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing but a witch-hunt!!

And the NACC are politically neutral.................cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They have had 4 years to indict them, and sure it is a pure coincidence it is happening now??

Sure Yingluck and Surapong should face the music, but this stinks !!

They have had 4 years to indict them, and sure it is a pure coincidence it is happening now??

Well in 3 of those years, it just wasn't going to happen for bloody obvious reasons. Even a clear cut case of perjury saw Tarit squirming to change the definition of perjury.

As for the last 12 months, it seems there were bigger crimes to investigate. The good news is that this one is a slam dunk, hopefully with the emphasis on the slammer.

Well in 3 of those years, it just wasn't going to happen for bloody obvious reasons. Even a clear cut case of perjury saw Tarit squirming to change the definition of perjury.

As for the last 12 months, it seems there were bigger crimes to investigate. The good news is that this one is a slam dunk, hopefully with the emphasis on the slammer.

Looks like they are finally burring the Shins too bad YL had to get caught up in it. But then again dear brother is responsible.

No country in the world would give a convicted criminal a passport. One that tried to bribe judges among other things. That shows a total lack of respect for the law. Then it got hand delivered to him by Surapong that is not normal procedure and I hope Surapong does time for it.

As for JOC.. how to indict with the PTP in power.. with a Tarit that lied and others.. no way now they can do it because judges don't have to fear for their lives (red rabble is under control for the time being) So now justice can be done.

Its not even so much about the passports or amnesty itself, it is about all the positive infrastructure and regulatory work that could have been done instead, during the large amounts of valuable time they wasted on these entirely self-serving plans.

If you robbed a bank and got away with it for 4 years because you have mates at Police HQ, then told a reporter you were going to do it again, and were arrested, would that be a "witch-hunt" too?

Witch hunt or not, what they did was plain and simple just wrong.

If Thailand wants to be seen as more than a banana republic, this kind of crap can't continue to happen. You can't have a Government run by a convicted criminal on the run (with countless other charges awaiting his return), and you can't go around hand-delivering him Diplomatic passports. You also can't continue to dole out populist policies to all and sundry that benefits NO ONE except those that implement the policies and their sycophants.

Are the Democrats much better, or the Junta? Probably not ... but they at least didn't completely and utterly take the piss with their greed and lies.

Looks like they are finally burring the Shins too bad YL had to get caught up in it. But then again dear brother is responsible.

No country in the world would give a convicted criminal a passport. One that tried to bribe judges among other things. That shows a total lack of respect for the law. Then it got hand delivered to him by Surapong that is not normal procedure and I hope Surapong does time for it.

As for JOC.. how to indict with the PTP in power.. with a Tarit that lied and others.. no way now they can do it because judges don't have to fear for their lives (red rabble is under control for the time being) So now justice can be done.

Thank you Robbie for proving my point.............wai2.gif It is all political

Officially both the NACC and the judiciary are non-political organisations, they didn't need Tarit or his DSI to move forward..........

I am all for justice being served, but the way this is handled, makes Mr P and his Generals no better than the people they are going after!!

Officially both the NACC and the judiciary are non-political organisations, they didn't need Tarit or his DSI to move forward..........

I am all for justice being served, but the way this is handled, makes Mr P and his Generals no better than the people they are going after!!

Nothing political about it.. can you give me 1 example where a convicted criminal gets a diplomatic passport ? Its not a normal thing no where in the world.

But hey JOC you do prove my point that its hard to reason with fanatics.

maybe you have failed to remember that they were asked several times to show cause as to why they did it but kept stalling and changing ministers so they could get away with it. Now they can no longer do this they are being taken to task, they should have of explained themselves when they were in power but saying it was because he is family and paying them to do what he wants isnt an acceptable(legal) excuse.

I don't pretend to know the law on this matter at the time of the issue of the passports, what I do see is a lot of petty revenge attacks from a junta that seems to think it is there for the long haul , I remind the Junta that your actions in some quarters could provoke a response at a later date just the same as you are doing now , you (The Junta) keep telling everyone to live in harmony and be happy, but in some quarters you could be regarded as BS artists of major proportions , vendettas are all very well , counter productive ones to the well being of a country in the future , are not coffee1.gif

I don't pretend to know the law on this matter at the time of the issue of the passports, what I do see is a lot of petty revenge attacks from a junta that seems to think it is there for the long haul , I remind the Junta that your actions in some quarters could provoke a response at a later date just the same as you are doing now , you (The Junta) keep telling everyone to live in harmony and be happy, but in some quarters you could be regarded as BS artists of major proportions , vendettas are all very well , counter productive ones to the well being of a country in the future , are not coffee1.gif

What you seem to be saying is that reconciliation is ignoring my sides blatant criminality. Good news is, the junta don't want reconciliation at that price.

Its not even so much about the passports or amnesty itself, it is about all the positive infrastructure and regulatory work that could have been done instead, during the large amounts of valuable time they wasted on these entirely self-serving plans.

And all when all resources should have been focused on the absolute priority of the day, half of Thailand under water, hundreds of thousands of people homes washed away and more.

What you seem to be saying is that reconciliation is ignoring my sides blatant criminality. Good news is, the junta don't want reconciliation at that price.

Very well said, bravo!

Which 4 years to convict them would that be considering that the PTP was in charge until just over a year ago?

You don't seriously believe that the PM and FM would be charged while they were in power. They even refused to acknowledge the Ombudsman for 2 years as to why the passport was issued.

I think that if Thaksin had kept a low profile and said nothing then he may have been able to keep the passports. However being Thaksin he cannot keep quiet or a low profile and now he is starting to discover that money can't buy everything and the more times that he shows his head over the parapet the more trouble he gets into.

Who was the Minister of Justice/Interior at that time.

None other than Chalerm Yoobamrung whcih does indeed make it political as he would never have allowed it to happen. Justice PTP style does not always mean justice legal style.

What are the red fans so uppitty about ?

The crime was carried out in broad daylight for all to see, who cares how long it takes for justice to be done.

( I notice their comments are getting more and more desperate, and soon you will hear click - click - click and then they will throw the empty gun at their detractors.............................. cheesy.gif )

The crime was carried out in broad daylight for all to see, who cares how long it takes for justice to be done.

( I notice their comments are getting more and more desperate, and soon you will hear click - click - click and then they will throw the empty gun at their detractors.............................. cheesy.gif )

YL, when in Mongolia, told the world what she thought about the trumped-up yellow charges against her brother.

As far as they & the largest section of the Thai electorate were concerned, the charges are illegitimate.

Which 4 years to convict them would that be considering that the PTP was in charge until just over a year ago?

You don't seriously believe that the PM and FM would be charged while they were in power. They even refused to acknowledge the Ombudsman for 2 years as to why the passport was issued.

I think that if Thaksin had kept a low profile and said nothing then he may have been able to keep the passports. However being Thaksin he cannot keep quiet or a low profile and now he is starting to discover that money can't buy everything and the more times that he shows his head over the parapet the more trouble he gets into.

Fair comment.

I suspect there's another point, the paymaster still thinks he is a person of influence, is entitled to have influence.

Lets' move into a new future please.

YL, when in Mongolia, told the world what she thought about the trumped-up yellow charges against her brother.

As far as they & the largest section of the Thai electorate were concerned, the charges are illegitimate.

And what do you think was bribing of the judges acceptable or not ? The cake box incident.

Just shows that YL thinks bribing judges is ok.

About bleeping time this happened, Yingluck and Surapong stalled and outright ignored the Ombudsman summons during their government. This Passport affair on itself (never mind the Rice Scheme, replacing the chief of police with a family member or any other of their shenanigans) should had seen them impeached, removed from office and slapped with a sentence for gross conflict of interest while in office.

-snip-

I think Thaksin is playing the game well and the junta are the losers. Thaksin has a diplomatic passport from another country so what did he lose? He's already a fugitive from justice.

OTOH it is all over the world news that an M word D word is throwing its weight around. Few approve of a government by gunpoint and these actions are seen as retaliatory. Thaksin says some things and the junta loses its cool. It becomes apparent that the junta is afraid of Thaksin.

Thaksin 2, Junta 0.

Cheers

Rubbish, your post is wrong on several points let alone being untruthful.

To quote Mandy Rice-Davies "Well she would say that, wouldn't she".

It is not as if Mongolia is the centre of the world, nor was Yingluck exactly an unbiased speaker as she had a personal interest involved with the statement.

It is a bit like a convicted criminal fugitive saying that it was political against him.

As he was charged as an ex politician of COURSE it is political.

If he was a road sweeper of a car slaesman then it wouldn't be political simply because of the job.

Edited by billd766

And what do you think was bribing of the judges acceptable or not ? The cake box incident.

Just shows that YL thinks bribing judges is ok.

"As far as they & the largest section of the Thai electorate were concerned, the charges are illegitimate. "

1. Largest section of the Thai electorate, I suggest your massively overstate the situation.

2. Perhaps it's time for more people to get acquainted with the concept of law and order.

Nothing political about it.. can you give me 1 example where a convicted criminal gets a diplomatic passport ? Its not a normal thing no where in the world.

Kim Dae Jung. Convicted and sentenced to death, who subsequently became President of South Korea. I presume he had a diplomatic passport.

Edited by baboon