heavy cream?

If by "heavy" cream you mean "thick" cream, or as the Brits call it, "double" cream, rather than "whipping" cream, which contains less than 40% milk fat; yes, you can get it in Thailand. TOPS supermarket chain sells Bulla brand thick cream (45% milk fat), imported from Oz. I think the price is about 120 baht for 200 ml.

Ah! I understand now. Although the best Alfredo sauce is made using "heavy" cream, you can make a good substitute by melting butter in a saucepan then adding ordinary whipping cream. Add salt and pepper to taste; bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer gently until the required degree of thickness is achieved.

^^ ramrod45 - I know what you mean about whipping cream not staying fresh for very long after being opened. I've always thought that the standard 1 ltr size availble in the supermarkets is too large for occasional use and the manufaturers would help us all by offering a 500 ml size as well.

I only ever buy whipped cream when I see the fresh stuff reduced to approx 40 baht a litre container on, or just before, the "sell by" date. I then take it home and whisk it all up, tip the reslting mess into two plastic containers and store them in the deep freeze. They'll keep for a few months and then I've always got the amount I need on hand ready for the next jam and whipped cream sponge.

Before the packaging got changed, Foremost cream gave it's butterfat content as 35.5%. This is exactly 1/2 % below the threshold of the fat content it takes to be heavy cream. It whips very well and manages to hold its shape for a long time. An even better brand is Meiji. If you are lucky enough to live in Chiang Mai, then Dacheeso brand cream, as noted above, is also available. It whips even better and I suspect even exceeds the butterfat content range of heavy cream.

Actually, the cream situation is much better in Thailand than it is in the USA where it's become very difficult to find pasteurized cream. Now it's mostly ultrapasteurized and doesn't whip nearly as well. Also has that slight burnt or cooked flavor.