SURVEY: With the current government in Power are things getting better or worse?

Scott

Are things getting Better, Worse or Staying the same under the current government?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The funny thing about history is how it always repeats itself.... this ain't the first time we've seen this movie in thailand.

Thailand has always been a ticking bomb waiting to explode....and so the saga continues oh wise fortune telling survey question maker upper...

bore

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai junta orders cancellation of Human rights event

Thailand's military rulers Thursday banned a panel discussion exploring rights abuses alleged to have taken place during the junta's one-year rule.

Thai Lawyers for Human Rights, which provides legal aid to those who fall foul of the junta, had been due to launch a report on the kingdom's faltering rights record at the Foreign Correspondent's Club of Thailand (FCCT) on Thursday evening.

But in a statement released Thursday afternoon the FCCT said it had been forced to cancel the event "on the orders of the NCPO and the police".

The NCPO is the official name for Thailand's junta -- the National Council for the Restoration of Peace and Order.

A letter sent to the club from police said the FCCT should cancel the discussion because "there might be some people with ill-intentions using the opportunity to create some situations that might cause chaos".

The FCCT said the panel discussion was not sponsored by the club. Thai Lawyers for Human Rights had paid to use the venue.

Club president Jonathan Head tweeted through his personal account that although the panel discussion was cancelled the club would remain open in the evening, adding that there would be "a visible police presence".

A junta spokesman, Major General Werachon Sukhondapatipak, confirmed the military halted the event, saying Thai Lawyers for Human Rights had not sought permission from the authorities.

"They did not talk with NCPO first. They have to keep NCPO informed and explain the content of the event," he told AFP.

Werachon said the junta had previously allowed political events to go ahead at the club if organisers contacted them in advance.

An attempt by Thai Lawyers for Human Rights to hold a similar event after the junta's first 100 days in power was also cancelled after junta pressure.

The organisation was not available for comment.

Thailand's generals took over in a May 2014 coup that toppled the democratically elected administration of Yingluck Shinawatra after months of sometimes violent street protests.

They have since ruled the country with an iron fist, banning public protests, muzzling the media and arresting critics.

Last month iLaw, a local group that monitors arrest figures, said 751 people have been "summoned" by the authorities for attitude adjustment since the military took over while 166 people have been arrested "while expressing their opinions in a public place".

The junta says its power grab restored order after months of protests against Yingluck left dozens dead and the economy in a straitjacket.

They initially vowed to hold new elections within 15 months but that timetable has repeatedly slipped as the junta goes about rewriting the country's constitution.

New polls are not expected until September 2016.

Supporters of the Shinawatra family say the putsch was the latest assault by the royalist Bangkok-centric elite on the kingdom's burgeoning democratic forces.

But while the Shinawatras are loved by poor voters, particularly in the culturally distinct northeast, they are loathed by their establishment opponents who accuse them of corruption, cronyism and costly populist polices.(+++)

This is not a government it is a self appointed military junta. who do not have a clue.

I also miss Yingluck. She really impressed me during all those debates she had with the opposition. She had a clear view of how to lead this country and on top if it, she was open for suggestions. She was always in Thailand to solve all issues first hand. Never did anything that favored her family. She really sacrificed herself for the good of the country. Off all the billions she had spend buying rice from the farmers, a wopping 15% went to them. Yes she was elected, whether or not it was democratic...

(by the way, a military junta is a form of government)

Edited by Nickymaster

I've lived through the rise and fall of several regimes, figureheads, and the bulk of the red shirt/yellow shirt drama in my stay in Thailand. My vote is that it's too early to tell either way. A military junta can always go horribly wrong either way but a middling fake democracy is also obviously not the answer either.

The junta is at least looking at corruption but it's too early to tell what sort of games are being played behind the scene. The usual Thai political game is to say they are fighting corruption when it's really just taking out the competition. Is that what it is right now? It could be or if you're really optimistic you could say that the junta might actually be somewhat honorable people in trying to improve Thailand.

I hope that whatever happens Thailand comes out for the better not just in the sense of economy but socially for all the Thai people. If the regime can fix the issues in the rural areas and make life more prosperous and upwardly mobile then they will have done something that no other regime has been able to achieve thus far.

Why is it Thai people are unable to think beyond the end of this week ?.

The current situation is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It will be gone in a year or so. Right now we have a bunch of unqualified ministers doing jobs they have no real clue about just because the PM trusts them not to sabotage the bigger plan. Considering this, things could be a lot worse.

The big question is about what comes next : whether effective reforms can be implemented to remove much of the corruption in Thai politics, or whether the snakes will use their cunning to circumvent the rules and take things back where they were.

You're wrong,

It will be gone when Thaksin (or his proxy) are unable to win free elections, which will be never.

This is not 'corruption Vs honest'y, this is 'the people Vs the traditional elites'

Edited by MaeJoMTB

After asking my wife,

She says the general population are finding life much harder under the Junta.

Debt rising, economy failing, restaurants and local businesses losing money. (maybe it's the general downturn of the global economy, but Prayut is getting the blame)

Under Thaksin everything was so much better and she and her pals can't wait for him to return and set everything right.

But she isn't a half Chinese hiso wealthy person like all the other forum members wives, but has finished high school.

(Along with all her pals, and they all start university in August, so will eventually be considered educated)

From what I can tell from interacting with local Thai people in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area, her opinions seem normal.

(I'm not isolated from the general Thai population by my wife and servants like so aging many expats)

I have to disagree with you wife's view.

Starting from Thaksin, during his administration the country was recovering for the Asian Economic crisis of 97, Thaksin seems to have got much of the credit for the recovery when it was just the country as a whole growing as the industrial sector started to boom. I do give credit to Thaksin for some of his policies too, but he just so happened to be there at the right time to claim credit.

Many of the current rising debt are due to the First Car Scheme, as well as the Rice Scheme which gave farmers a false hope of financial security where many went on a spending spree. Another contributing debt was due to the falling Rubber prices, this is due to the weak demand from China. Rubber prices were at an all time high back 3-4 years ago and rubber farmers went on a spending spree, when the price dropped they have no money to pay mortgage on cars and houses.

Global economy effected many sector as well, so that is another major reason for such damp outlook.

Nobody ever gave credit to the Dems when Abhisit was for a short 2 years, as that was the time of the global economic meltdown, yet Thailand was among the strongest country with the strongest growth during that period. Like the Thakisn analogy, it was him being there at the right time. Why did Thailand experience growth and had a strong economy during the Global Meltdown? This is mainly attributed to China's manufacturing sector going downhill from rising wages and poor manufacturing reputation, hence many customers shifted to buying from Thailand.

So from what I explained, you can see that its always a cause and reaction due to the world economy, did not have to do much with politicians. No doubt Thaksin did a lot of positive things during his term, but many of his supporters want to but more importance on that over his corruption.

Like the polls that were done around two years ago, more than half of the Thais think a little corruption is ok as long as they get things their way.

It would be interesting to hear your wife's feedback if you explain what I wrote.

After asking my wife,

Debt rising, economy failing, restaurants and local businesses losing money. (maybe it's the general downturn of the global economy, but Prayut is getting the blame)

Under Thaksin everything was so much better and she and her pals can't wait for him to return and set everything right.

But she isn't a half Chinese hiso wealthy person like all the other forum members wives, but has finished high school.

(Along with all her pals, and they all start university in August, so will eventually be considered educated)

From what I can tell from interacting with local Thai people in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area, her opinions seem normal.

(I'm not isolated from the general Thai population by my wife and servants like so aging many expats)

I have to disagree with you wife's view.

At some later date she may get to vote, while you never will.

So your view is irrelevant.

After asking my wife,

Under Thaksin everything was so much better

Better for whom? Obviously not for the half of the voters that didn't vote for him, the people that died in the drug war executions or the people in the south. Not even for the farang barflies.

Good for the crooks that bought up Koh Chang before Thaksin developed it though.

I voted that it got worse. A Military Junta is a strange type of government. How much does an Army guy know about education, thus many soldiers took over important positions.

All the ministers are one way the other pro general, the way I see it. The Army is usually an institution to defend, bur not to rule a country.

All I've experienced is more tax on cigarettes, alcohol and other items. You would think that a healthy government would do all to make sure that their citizen have a livable life? Just looking at some "ordinary Thais", rice farmers and lower educated people says it all.

The quality of the "good general's power" is easy to measure in his first lottery cheaper for all try.Now they put so much emphasis on a second try to make sure that people actually pay what's printed on those little suckers.

But the lottery issue isn't that important for a country like Thailand, that really relies on tourists. What would this country look like without all the foreigners, falling in love with the country, building houses, spending a lot of money, which on the other hand gives Thai people jobs?

Take foreigners who work here as teachers as an example. All of them spend their salaries here in this country, but the always changing laws make it to a joke.Not too many want to put up with this crap and look for better opportunities.

How comes that people who taught English for many years, held various seminars for school directors, Thai English teachers and other government employees, are all in a sudden "not qualified anymore", because they don't have a degree in education?

How could soldiers deal with such really important issues? They're not educated in this field and should therefor be replaced by whom?

Finally,considering that almost all has gotten more expensive,can barely seen as an improvement. And a decreasing number of Western tourists, partly because you can't even get a travel insurance, can't be good for this country at all. I doubt that Chinese tourists will make this up.

Also the "Sanook" factor seems to decrease. There're plenty of other places where retirees are really welcome to spend the rest of their days.Not all foreigners come to this country to see airborne Ping Pong balls and other curiosities, the country's well known for.

But the junta will be a good excuse not to be part of the ASEAN community. Time will tell. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I voted that it got worse. A Military Junta is a strange type of government. How much does an Army guy know about education, thus many soldiers took over important positions.

All the ministers are one way the other pro general, the way I see it. The Army is usually an institution to defend, bur not to rule a country.

All I've experienced is more tax on cigarettes, alcohol and other items. You would think that a healthy government would do all to make sure that their citizen have a livable life? Just looking at some "ordinary Thais", rice farmers and lower educated people says it all.

The quality of the "good general's power" is easy to measure in his first lottery cheaper for all try.Now they put so much emphasis on a second try to make sure that people actually pay what's printed on those little suckers.

But the lottery issue isn't that important for a country like Thailand, that really relies on tourists. What would this country look like without all the foreigners, falling in love with the country, building houses, spending a lot of money, which on the other hand gives Thai people jobs?

Take foreigners who work here as teachers as an example. All of them spend their salaries here in this country, but the always changing laws make it to a joke.Not too many want to put up with this crap and look for better opportunities.

How comes that people who taught English for many years, held various seminars for school directors, Thai English teachers and other government employees, are all in a sudden "not qualified anymore", because they don't have a degree in education?

How could soldiers deal with such really important issues? They're not educated in this field and should therefor be replaced by whom?

Finally,considering that almost all has gotten more expensive,can barely seen as an improvement. And a decreasing number of Western tourists, partly because you can't even get a travel insurance, can't be good for this country at all. I doubt that Chinese tourists will make this up.

Also the "Sanook" factor seems to decrease. There're plenty of other places where retirees are really welcome to spend the rest of their days.Not all foreigners come to this country to see airborne Ping Pong balls and other curiosities, the country's well known for.

But the junta will be a good excuse not to be part of the ASEAN community. Time will tell. facepalm.gif

How much does an Army guy know about education

As much as all the previous civilian ones did, going on results.

more tax on cigarettes, alcohol

Has to be a good thing. Tobacco and alcohol are very bad for people.

that really relies on tourists. What would this country look like without all the foreigners, falling in love with the country, building houses, spending a lot of money, which on the other hand gives Thai people jobs?

You think it would make a difference if every expat left today 5555555. Our contribution is insignificant when tourism as a whole is only 6% of the economy. They want tourists, not expats.

Not too many want to put up with this crap and look for better opportunities

No one is forcing them to stay.

all in a sudden "not qualified anymore", because they don't have a degree in education?

It's been a requirement for at least 14 years to have a degree. The government is just upholding the law. Too bad if people were breaking the law before.

And a decreasing number of Western tourists, partly because you can't even get a travel insurance,

You are making that up- no problem getting travel insurance.

There're plenty of other places where retirees are really welcome to spend the rest of their days

Such as? If there were, why are retirees still coming to LOS?

A vague question asked on a robustly moderated website in a country subject to heavy censorship is not going to reveal all that much, I would have thought...

Media has to self censor here I get that but I think the Nation for example is less censored which I don't get.