How about if IHOP, Denny's, Fuddruckers, Chili's came to LOS

For the record. McDonald's pancakes are fine and the same thing as you get in more expensive restaurants. I just wish they sold them in LOS, because they are better than most available here.

Does buying a Coke for 80 baht in an expensive restaurant make it any better than buying it in a noodle stall for 15 baht? Price does not guarantee better quality.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, most foods in themselves are not evil.

It's the way people use them.

For example, basic sugar.

It's really fine within limits but in excess, it greatly contributes to obesity, and no, it is not only a matter of simple math of the calories.

Of course white bread and white rice convert into sugar ... so need limits with those foods (and many others) as well.

Fast foods like french fries are not evil either ... but to promote health they should not be consumed at all often.

The trouble is when people make "feast" foods their daily foods.

I would suspect mass market pancakes to sometimes have TRANSFATS in the batter. Now that is an example of a food that really is evil.

Processed foods in general are more likely to be health issues.

Edited by Jingthing

No trans-fats in McDonald's hotcakes and very little saturated fat, They use soybean oil.

Good. Sometimes companies vary their policies depending on the country including laws.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No trans-fats in McDonald's hotcakes and very little saturated fat, They use soybean oil.

Calories340(1424 kJ)17%
From Carbohydrate226(946 kJ)
From Fat78.3(328 kJ)
From Protein35.8(150 kJ)
From Alcohol~(0.0 kJ)
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
Total Fat8.7g13%
Saturated Fat1.7g9%
Monounsaturated Fat1.8g
Polyunsaturated Fat4.4g
Total trans fatty acids0.0g
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids0.0g
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids0.0g
Total Omega-3 fatty acids478mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids3933mg

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fast-foods-generic/9348/2#ixzz3bsjyi0yN

So what does that work out to? 3 beers or macdonalds pancakes for breakfast?

Edited by lostoday

The pancakes, waffles and omelets from the restaurants mentioned in this thread, are little different nutritionally than that from more expensive restaurants and there is probably little difference in quality either. The only exceptions would be the "desert" pancakes and waffles, which don't do much for me anyway. IMO, they ARE overly sweet.

This one is a bit on the healthy side. Delicious, too.

post-55993-0-00849800-1433250079_thumb.j

This one is not for weight watchers. Although some bits like walnuts, blueberries, strawberries and bananas don't look too bad. I think the chocolate syrup tipped the scales.

post-55993-0-63085600-1433250179_thumb.j

Here was the Dean & DeLuca pancake plate from their Chong Nonsi location today, for 250b... Not bad, but for some odd reason, the version at their Central Embassy location has thicker pancakes and seemingly larger in size. These seemed thinner and smaller. I'd go for the Central Embassy version, which I've had probably a half dozen times and is consistently good.

attachicon.gifDean & DeLuca Pancakes-Chong Nonsi-250b.jpg

Here's what the Waffle Plate looks like at D&D Central Embassy:

attachicon.gifWaffle Plate-Dean & Deluca Central Embassy-250b.jpg

Nice but Roast in Thonglor has better breakfast options...and better quality too.

I haven't been to Roast, so I can't speak from personal experience, though I'll give them a try based on your suggestion, and it looks like they're opening a new branch in EmQuartier as well. Some interesting things overall on their menu.

However, from looking at their menu on their website, they seem to be going down the desert road more in terms of their pancake and waffle offerings than they are with traditional breakfast fare.

I do try to be health conscious in my breakfast fare. That's why I like the D&D pancakes and waffles, since they have just fresh fruit as an accompaniment, and a berry sauce on the waffle. Meaning you can skip the syrup, whipped butter and anything else.

When I look at Roast's website, I see a breakfast pancakes with 3 or so slices of bacon. For me, I'd just as soon skip the bacon.

And then, they seem to offer desert choices in a strawberry waffle with fresh cream and ice cream, a cranberry brioche fresh toast with ice cream, and a banana pancakes with butterscotch sauce and peanut butter ice cream!!!! Likewise, I'd just as soon skip the sugar overdose...

I think I'd prefer D&D's more health conscious pancake/waffle with fruit offerings -- and avoid the whipped butter, syrups, ice creams, bacons, etc etc.

BTW, re one of the comments above, I also do fix my own pancakes and waffles and omelettes at home for breakfast, rotating them with muesli... For the omelettes, eggs only topped with Tapatio chili sauce -- no cheese or other stuff. For the waffles and pancakes, just a bit of syrup and nothing else.

The options to me, being a Brit, seem quite American to me if you get what I mean.

The bacon pancakes are very nice in my opinion although its not really a Brit type of bfast.

I suggest you go for lunch and try the duck...that is superb.

For the record. McDonald's pancakes are fine and the same thing as you get in more expensive restaurants. I just wish they sold them in LOS, because they are better than most available here.

Does buying a Coke for 80 baht in an expensive restaurant make it any better than buying it in a noodle stall for 15 baht? Price does not guarantee better quality.

When I lived in China I often went to McDonald's in the morning for one thing: pancakes and sausage (tasted great). If they can do it in China, they can do it in Thailand.

This was my "make your own waffle" choice for 185 baht++ at La Baguette at EmQuartier yesterday...

I could have had carmel cream cheese or Nutella or ice cream for my toppings, among others. But instead chose sliced fresh bananas and kiwis for mine. Passed on the syrup and the butter... Call me a health nut!!! tongue.png

As for the waffle, tasted and had the consistency of a Bisquick type batter. IMHO, the versions at Dean & DeLuca are better -- though it's nice to be able choose your own toppings.

(Though, I also tried one of La Baguette's fruit danish pastries and it was killer.... much better than Paul at Central Embassy....)

post-58284-0-70671100-1433477737_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

FWIW, I was reading the BK website the other day, and they had a brief reference to their being plans to soon open a Church's Chicken outlet in BKK.

attachicon.gifChurch's Chicken Coming to BKK.jpg

Yes, yes......far superior to KFC. They used to serve a jalapeno pepper w/ their fried chicken (no idea if they still do that). Here are some pics (love fried okra and their biscuits):

post-110622-0-35027500-1444372012_thumb.

post-110622-0-51041700-1444372028_thumb.

post-110622-0-56452000-1444372043_thumb.

I think Popeye's is at the Swamp airport now, so maybe they will eventually expand to Bangkok proper. That would be great: Church's and Popeye's in Bangkok! With any luck, they will not change their recipes to suit Thai tastes.

Has anyone heard/seen anything, about where Church's is planning on setting up shop?

The problem with the Popeye's outlet at Suvarnabhumi, AFAIK, is you can only access the area where they're located if you have a ticket and have passed thru security or are on an arriving flight. You can't just go there and eat as a visitor to the airport. If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

Has anyone heard/seen anything, about where Church's is planning on setting up shop?

The problem with the Popeye's outlet at Suvarnabhumi, AFAIK, is you can only access the area where they're located if you have a ticket and have passed thru security or are on an arriving flight. You can't just go there and eat as a visitor to the airport. If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

I only saw Popeye's within the domestic departure area. Mid to late 80's they had one near Sukumvit soi 1/2 near Erawan.

Church's Chicken to Expand in Thailand

In a move that marks the single largest international expansion in Texas Chicken history, the brand announced a deal to bring its restaurants to malls, inline locations, and standalone stores throughout Thailand. Of the 70 planned restaurants, one is already slated to open this year, and two more are nearing construction. The exclusive agreement with Public Company Limited (PTT), the Petroleum Authority of Thailand, will leverage PTT’s existing infrastructure throughout the region, as well as the company’s expertise with operations and the quick-service restaurant industry.

qsrmagazine

Found this news release on the PTT corporate website re the coming of "Texas Chicken."

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/News/Business/Pages/news-2015-07-10.aspx

PTT presents Texas Chicken® in Thailand
PTT’s retail marketing group is launching Texas Chicken® in Thailand and introducing the best fried chicken and biscuits in the world to Thais.
Recently Mr. Sarun Rungkasiri, PTT Plc Chief Operating Officer, Downstream Petroleum Business Group, presided over the signing ceremony of the Texas Chicken brand franchise agreement between Mr. Chavalit Punthong, PTT Plc Senior Executive Vice President, Oil Business Unit, and Mr. Zack A. Kollias, Executive Vice President International Operations, Texas Chicken®. The agreement involves the franchise of Texas Chicken as Thailand consumers’ latest fried-chicken dining option.
Mr. Punthong said Texas Chicken® — a top-Three popular fried-chicken brand worldwide—is supported by over six decades of culinary experience and reputation for quality, larger portions, and popular taste in many countries. Its diverse menu, honey-butter biscuits, 12 hours marinade process with hand-breaded cooking technique for the Original and Spicy Chicken yield a crunchy but not greasy taste. Warmly welcomed by consumers in many countries, Texas Chicken® is now found at 1,650 locations in 23 countries worldwide. Besides, it is the best-known brand in the quick-service restaurant group selected by PTT as a new option for Thai connoisseurs. Thailand’s maiden Texas Chicken® restaurant will be launched later this year, and PTT’s goal is to launch no fewer than 70 restaurants within 5-10 years in Shopping malls, Community malls, and PTT’s service stations nationwide.
Mr. Kollias said “As one of the world’s leading companies, our new international franchisee is incredibly well respected within the region and ideally positioned to bring guests the Texas Chicken® experience. We are looking forward to working together to create something truly special for this market.”
“To meet the needs of our customers and consumers, PTT is committed to developing a complete range of quality products and services through sensible, fair prices, and quality while striving for maximum customer satisfaction. Texas Chicken certainly fits this description of quality cuisine brought to Thai consumers by PTT as a novel experience,” Mr. Punthong concluded.

PS - I hope this isn't going to lead to a lot of jokes about greasy or oily fried chicken... gigglem.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I think it's a curious move... I'd imagine, PTT certainly has the resources to expand the Texas/Church's chicken franchise in Thailand.

But, what exactly are they going to offer that's going to win over Thais who currently eat KFC -- a LOT!

I'd note, the Taiwan fried chicken place that recently opened in EmQuartier had crazy huge long lines when it first opened and everyone Thai) was talking about that place. But now a few months later, you walk past there and there's no line at all.

Same thing happened with the arrival of Krispy Kreme in Thailand. But if you look around the country, Thailand is still awash in crappy Mister Donut and Dunkin' Donut outlets. And Krispy Kreme has, according to their Thailand website, only about 16 mall locations all located entirely around Bangkok.

Church's will do well here. There is an unlimited market for fried chicken in Asia. They just need a mascot to go head to head with KFC and a similar price point. If they are at all PTT stations so Thai people barely have to leave their vehicles or better yet drive thru windows so they don't actually have to, they are on to a winner.

As these places aren't cheap having them in places where people are relatively well off is a great idea. If you have a car you typically aren't that poor and if you have a car and are that poor you will spend beyond your means anyway. They need to accept credit cards and Apple pay eventually.

The beauty of a fried chicken franchise is that many Thai people identify with fried chicken as being their own food.It doesn't seem foreign and scary. Even the burger chains sell chicken. I would love to have the KFC franchise that is the first to break into the Lao market. Untapped gold mine there. I have brought KFC back to Laos and everybody loves that crap.

I don't see Denny's doing very well here. I can't think of any Thai people that like American breakfast fare. Same goes for IHOP. Sure they have other products but not anything that isn't already out there for the most part. You may find a chain called Denny's as there is in Japan but anybody who has ever visited one knows that it is only the same name and nothing else is remotely the same. they may be able to eek out an existence in areas with a high concentration of Farang.

Arby's would be the one I would prefer the most out of all of those listed. I think the prices would be way too expensive and the food wouldn't be easy to produce and their menu just wouldn't translate well. It would have the price point of a sit down place like Sizzler's or say a Fuji but none of the appeal. Too pricey for fast food and not glamorous enough to fool the hi-so. I am not sure even if they had an endorsement from Hello Kitty to merchandise toys with kids meals there that they could pull it off.

Chilis I can't imagine doing that well. Mexican theme which isn't popular here and no gimmick like a place such as Hooter's. Applebee's also has no catchy gimmick for Thai people. Roundtable pizza would be awesome but the chances of any pizza being done right over here are remote. Although if you exchange the sauce for ketchup or mayo could possibly be a winner.

Whitecastle is one that I didn't see listed that has a look and feel to it and is packaged in such a way that I think you could make a go of it here. Bring back that 30 pack of sliders and watch the kids devour it. Their menu also has tons of fish and chicken options. They have this sort of crappy appeal to them similar to what 7/11 does already. Texture is somewhat similar as well. KFC buckets have proven that Thais will buy a heap of whatever you are selling if you offer it. So I think the crave case would possibly do well, if you can sell one why not a dozen?The crave is a powerful thing.

Church's has to be the clear winner of all of these chains especially with them being partners with PTT.

Best of luck to all of them if for no other reason to make some of the posters in this thread begin to appreciate the diversity and cuisines of different cultures. :)

Denny was here before. Wendy's. Arby's. Popeye's. Shoney's used to be here. Most probably failed in the 1977 crash.

missed that one, wendys certainlyleft after the crash in 1997 though. Taco bell used to be in siam square, that didnt make it to the millennium either.

Denny was here before.

Is that really true, UG? Hard to imagine. Do you remember any details of when and where?

Every time I go back to the U.S., I binge on IHOP or Denny's breakfasts every day!!!!

Nothing here quite matches their food, especially the breakfast menus.

nothing beats a slam bang breakfast after a wham, bam, thank you maaam.

I don't see Denny's doing very well here. I can't think of any Thai people that like American breakfast fare. Same goes for IHOP. Sure they have other products but not anything that isn't already out there for the most part. You may find a chain called Denny's as there is in Japan but anybody who has ever visited one knows that it is only the same name and nothing else is remotely the same. they may be able to eek out an existence in areas with a high concentration of Farang.

Dunno that I agree about the notion of American breakfast fare not going over here.

Waffles are a pretty common Thai food. There are the little waffle stands all over the place around BKK catering to Thais, not farangs. And, there's a pancakes restaurant in CentralWorld during the past year that seems to do quite good business with Thais, eating their fare at all hours of the day.

Gotta remember that Thais like the sweet stuff, so pancakes and waffles with syrup or fruit toppings or ice cream, as seems popular here, are right in their direction. Likewise, Thais eat omelettes and fried eggs, and they certainly eat sausage and even bacon.

As for Church's vs KFC, I'm not disputing that Thais don't like fried chicken. My feeling is, though, that KFC already has such a massive footprint in Thailand that it's going to be hard for anyone else, especially with a foreign concept, to go up against that. Be interesting to see how things evolve.

I agree to beat KFC is a big battle. Although if Church's positions themselves at 5,000 PTT locations nationwide that is also pretty strong. The price would have to be competitive. Church's may not ever get bigger than KFC but they should be able to steal market share if they are on every roadside. The ultimate people who will lose market share will be the small guys, that doesn't change anywhere world wide.

Denny's... Thai people eat eggs, they eat sausage, they eat waffles, this is true. The extra price and the fact it takes a long time to serve at Denny's makes me think it won't catch on with Thai people. I am not sure a Thai would appreciate the difference between a fried egg their style and an over easy or sunny side up.

To get Thais to come it is all about quick food for the most part. Not sure a 299 Baht grand slam is what they would be after. American style sausage vs. the hot dogs they like? If they focus on waffles and make them extra sweet and more of a dessert item they could do okay. At that point though it is no longer Denny's.

Perhaps I am looking at the foods that I see being able to fit in here with the least amount of change to the original. Does anybody here have any Thai friends that love let's say something like hash browns? Denny's is a product that has tried to expand in different markets and has no success doing so anywhere. They are all over Japan but in name only it isn't what you would think of a Denny's. they have a very limited presence in South and Central America. It may work but it would never be a nationwide success. Breakfast in Asia is probably the worst meal of the day for many westerners and the Thais simply have no frame of reference for the likes of something like Denny's.

Replace the name Denny's with the name Waffle house.

I think it's a curious move... I'd imagine, PTT certainly has the resources to expand the Texas/Church's chicken franchise in Thailand.

But, what exactly are they going to offer that's going to win over Thais who currently eat KFC -- a LOT!

I'd note, the Taiwan fried chicken place that recently opened in EmQuartier had crazy huge long lines when it first opened and everyone Thai) was talking about that place. But now a few months later, you walk past there and there's no line at all.

Same thing happened with the arrival of Krispy Kreme in Thailand. But if you look around the country, Thailand is still awash in crappy Mister Donut and Dunkin' Donut outlets. And Krispy Kreme has, according to their Thailand website, only about 16 mall locations all located entirely around Bangkok.

About Krispy Kreme (KK). They opened in Bangkok in 2012. I was in Bangkok at that time and saw it all happening, w/ the long lines. KK has been successful. The fact that they are now in 16 mall locations testifies to KK's success. I am not sure how they would do in the hinterlands, but KK would likely be successful in Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. They are smart not to expand too much.

About Denny's. I think there is a strong niche for Denny's, but mostly likely only in Bangkok and Pattaya. Thais w/ money are willing to try different foods, which has already been demonstrated by KFC, Starbucks, Pizza Company, Sizzler, La Monita, etc. Farangs, of course, will flock to Denny's w/ money in hand, salivating all the way.

About Church's and Popeye's: Popeye's is already here; it is at the Swamp airport in the international lounge, so the only way to get it is to by an international ticket! Maybe they will expand. I love Church's chicken; I also love Popeye's chicken, both of which are, IMHO, way better than KFC. I think Thais will try and like both of these chicken places, especially given that they are "similar" to KFC in some ways, but much, much better. I doubt that all of the Church's chicken places will be located at PTT filling stations; some will almost certainly be in local malls.

About Krispy Kreme (KK). They opened in Bangkok in 2012. I was in Bangkok at that time and saw it all happening, w/ the long lines. KK has been successful. The fact that they are now in 16 mall locations testifies to KK's success. I am not sure how they would do in the hinterlands, but KK would likely be successful in Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. They are smart not to expand too much.

<snip>

I remember when Krispy Kreme started their rapid expansion in the US during the 90s. KK was booming, opening new stores and enjoying long lines of customers at each outlet.

Their downfall was that they expanded too quickly, and killed their franchise and company stores by placing product in supermarkets and convenience stores. That combined with Americans becoming more health conscious at the time (remember all the fad diets back then?) really put a hurt on their business. The novelty of KK soon wore off, and the lines of customers disappeared. Many of their US locations closed relatively shortly after opening. Of the approximately 1,000 KK outlets worldwide, only about 500 remain in the US. Many investors lost a lot of money in what was a very hot IPO.

So yes, they would be smart to learn from their lesson in the US, and not expand too quickly in Thailand.

Popeye's is already here; it is at the Swamp airport in the international lounge, so the only way to get it is to by an international ticket! Maybe they will expand. I love Church's chicken;

The last time I was there it was also in the Domestic airside area also. Used to be in downtown Bangkok in the mid '80s.

Popeye's is already here; it is at the Swamp airport in the international lounge, so the only way to get it is to by an international ticket! Maybe they will expand. I love Church's chicken;

The last time I was there it was also in the Domestic airside area also. Used to be in downtown Bangkok in the mid '80s.

First, the international building, then the domestic building, then someplace in Bangkok where we can get this:

post-110622-0-53887400-1444816173_thumb.

and this

post-110622-0-09017100-1444816187_thumb.

and this

post-110622-0-47568400-1444816199_thumb.

Curiously, AFAICT, the official Suvarnabhumi Airport website, which has a section devoted to the various restaurants and fast food places at the airport -- including McDonald's, BK, Subway and others -- makes absolutely no mention of Popeye's.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/87-fast-food-snacks

But here was our prior TV thread on Popeye's at the airport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630811-popeyes-cajun-chicken/

Curiously, AFAICT, the official Suvarnabhumi Airport website, which has a section devoted to the various restaurants and fast food places at the airport -- including McDonald's, BK, Subway and others -- makes absolutely no mention of Popeye's.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/87-fast-food-snacks

But here was our prior TV thread on Popeye's at the airport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630811-popeyes-cajun-chicken/

Well crap! I looked also and could not find it. I did find this thread from 2012 (below). Question: Did Popeye's close its restaurant at the Swamp airport? Is it still there?

Popeyes in Thailand
Submitted by mk on 12 May, 2012 - 08:46.

The latest Suvarnabhumi The departures of domestic flights (Domestic) zone, a fastfood restaurant Popeyes added.

I'm guessing it's just that their website, like so many others here, is out-of-date / not maintained well.

But, I never ever seem to find myself taking domestic departures out of Swampy, since Air Asia is all at DM, so I've never even had a chance to go looking for the place.

I was going to say earlier, it seems very odd to me for a restaurant company / franchisee to open a branch at the airport, but not have it supported by sister branches elsewhere in the same city. There are McDonalds, Subways and Burger Kings there at the airport, but they're all complimented by sister branches elsewhere in BKK.