Small Windows symbol in task bar offering free upgrade to Windows 10.

KhunHeineken

Regarding my post a little above talking about Norton 360 compatibility with Win 10, per this 8 Jun 15 Norton article their update to make Norton Security fully compatible with Win 10 is coming in a few weeks....well ahead of the Win 10 release....the Norton product update will occur automatically. See the Norton webpage. I expect this update for Norton Security will fix my Norton 360 issues also since Norton has basically renamed Norton 360 to Norton Security.

On my Win 7 32 bit system the Win 10 compatibility check says Norton 360 is incompatible with Win 10 but on my Win 8.1 64 bit system the Win 10 compatibility checks say no compatibility problem. Guess the Norton compatibility issue with Win 10 may focus on fixing compatibility with 32 bit systems...but I'm guessing. Just FYI for those running Norton products...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Win 10 compatibility check/report according to Microsoft it runs approx monthly...see this Link and the Q&A How Often Does the Report Run.

But what if you've been trying to fix some of your capability report hardware/driver/software issues but don't want to wait until Microsoft gets around to automatically running it again in a month or so to see if you were successful. Well, this webpage tells you several ways to trigger a re-run of the compatibility check/report...it worked for me.

I just migrated my Win7 to the SSD using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15. It wasn't that easy, lots of readings/preparations/etc. Now I'm booting from the SSD and it is fast.

I'm still struggling with AHCI. I can't find it in my BIOS (American Megatrends v.0606, BIOS Date 06/27/2011). Any advice?

Hopefully, I am ready now to install Win 10 to my SSD.

Some BIOS don't offer the BIOS ACHI/IDE setting....does necessarily mean ACHI is not implemented...it may occur automatically. I got a couple of older Toshiba laptops like that...running SSDs, no BIOS ACHI setting, but running ACHI.

Here's a couple of links on how to check if ACHI and Trim are turned on in your computer.

http://superuser.com/questions/757936/check-if-my-ssd-in-runing-on-ahci-mode-inside-windows-7

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403

My Trim is turned on.

​Still confused about AHCI. (but it probably not so important).

You can turn it on with a registry edit as long as you're careful. That does of course assume that your hardware supports it.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

Yes, I did the changes in the registry already. The problem is that I can't find AHCI in the BIOS. Maybe I don't know where to look.

BTW, I have SIW (System Information for Windows) 2015 Pro - can it help to find it?

If you are running in IDE vs ACHI mode with your SSD the only real negatives is maybe a little loss in read/write speed for certain file sizes when running benchmarks but in real life/day-to-day use highly unlikely you would notice any speed difference. And without ACHI you won't be able to hot-swap drives which I expect will be zero of an issue for you. Even in IDE mode you'll have Trim support which is important to SSD maintenance. You drive is basically no longer a choke point in your computer....it's other computer components like the CPU, RAM, or just other basic motherboard design...your internet connection....and even the software you use which will not necessarily do certain things faster just because it's on a faster machine.

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=505&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=1

AHCI & IDE SATA-Mode Differences

Most desktop computer motherboards offers hardware enthusiasts the option to adjust the SATA controller interface settings in their BIOS between AHCI and IDE mode. Traditionally, IDE is the time-tested standard for desktop hard drive products. The IDE interface offers basic control over the storage device, but unfortunately it does not include enterprise-level features. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) on the other hand, was created as a means to deliver additional storage support for server backplanes and high-end performance desktop computers.

Between these two disk IO settings, there are a few specific features that differ. AHCI-mode includes hot-swap drive support and Native Command Queuing that is not available in IDE mode. IDE does not support RAID arrays, and does not include the extended power management features that AHCI offers. For OpenBSD servers, port multiplier support is also enabled through AHCI.

I have an empty drive, could I update by installing to that drive and still retain and my Win7 drive incase I don't like it?

I also have a win7 to 8.1 update, can I use the same method eg...

Create 2 partitions on the empty drive install 8.1 on 1 and 10 on the other and test them both?

Really don't want to install and not be able to use 7 again.

This morning I turned on one of my 8 year old Toshiba laptops running Win 7 to do a Windows Update Check that I had last done around two weeks ago. As mentioned in my earlier posts a few days earlier/above two weeks ago the Win 10 Compatibility App check said the laptop was ready for Win 10 and I could reserve Win 10, however, but, the ATI X1400 video card may have some issues, the Bluetooth circuit may have some issues, Norton 360 may have some issues, and PC Wizard 2013 may have some issues--just those 4 issues were identified as "possible" issues.

But today after the Windows updates where eight or so Windows updates installed the Win 10 Compatibility App check now says Win 10 will not run on the computer due to a critical compatibility issue, specifically the ATI X1400 video card issue." No mention of the other 3 issues previously identified.

Below is snapshot of the compatibility check results today. Even gives me hint to shop for a new PC. I have a feeling when I turn on my other 8 year Toshiba laptop for a Windows Update check and since it has a ATI Express Video card that is slightly older than the ATI X1400 card in the other Toshiba that I'm going to get the same bad news, whereas as of two weeks ago it was just identifying The ATI Express Video card as having possible issued but I could still reserve/install Win 10. I'll check on other Toshiba laptop later today when I get some time.

At least for me as the Win 10 release gets closer that sweet Siren Call of a new Windows OS coming out is bringing back bad memories of previous Windows OS upgrades and definitely don't sound sweet anymore due to hardware/software compatibility issues. But time will tell. As mentioned earlier I'm OK with these two 8 year old Toshiba laptops which run Win 7 perfectly fine going to their grave with Win 7 still on them since Microsoft will support Win 7 till Jan 20 with security updates. My newer 18 month old Lenovo laptop running Win 8.1 still shows zero issues for upgrade to Win 10.

post-55970-0-43300400-1434256283_thumb.j

I turned my other eight year old Toshiba on last night to do a Windows update check....it downloaded around 8 updates....it was last turned on around two weeks ago. Apparently MS also ran another Win 10 capability check and this time instead of just identifying a couple of "possible" issues (like the video card as before) but still saying I could reserve/still install Win 10 the compatibility check results changed to" Windows Will Not Run on This PC" due to one "critical" issue of the ATI Express video card. See below snapshot of results.

Seems as we get close to the Win 10 release MS is updating its compatibility checker regarding hardware & software compatibility...and changing their verdict on whether Win 10 will properly work/can be installed on a machine or not.

In both cases for my eight year old Toshiba laptops the compatibility check when initially run a few weeks go only identified a couple minor issues such as the video card which may have issues with Win 10...but when the compatibility check was rerun over the last few days the compatibility results have changed to critical and Win 10 can not be installed. I expect as more machines run the compatibility check and that data flows back to MS they are updating what hardware/software will present problems with Win 10 and the degree of the problem...like from a possible issue to a critical issue.

So much for Win 10 legacy support--at least on my two eight year Toshiba computers which run Win 7 perfectly fine and now appears will go to their grave with Win 7 on them. The Siren Call of MS's new Windows won't be luring them to the island....in fact, the Siren Call is saying stay away so I have to give MS a pat on the back for honestly instead of letting me inflict the Blue Screen of Death on my older laptops and go on a cussing rant against Win 10....instead of a cussing rant it's more of a disappointed (but not surprised) mini-rant. And once again, my 18 month Lenovo laptop running Win 8.1 is still showing zero compatibility issues...ready for upgrade to Win 10.

Be sure to glance at your Win 10 compatibility checker results occasionally (ie., that little Window s icon in your task bar) because it runs periodically and your results may have changed from the last run.

post-55970-0-53081400-1434420805_thumb.j

A couple of thoughts here:

1. yes, the stated purposed for this nag icon is to enable your system, if it's compatible, to pre-download components of Windows 10 prior to the actual launch date, so MS's servers don't get totally crashed that day.

2. How they're rolling out the nag icon seems a bit of a mystery, but obviously not to everyone all at once. I have two different fully genuine U.S. Windows PCs at home -- one got the nag icon like two weeks ago, and the other, it only surfaced a couple days ago. Probably related to the timing of when machines get and install that package of Windows Updates.

3. It certainly looks like even those who pre-reserve Windows 10 via the nag icon will still have the opportunity at the launch date to either proceed with the installation or hold off. When I go into my nag icon today, I see the following screen info (I presume this means, PRE-install):

post-58284-0-92460500-1434429011_thumb.j

4. Pib, re your Toshiba video card/drivers issue, that's interesting. I have a 10 year old Toshiba laptop at home running Windows 7 ( I think it came originally with Windows 95) and it passed compatibility fully. But when I checked, I see it has onboard the Intel Mobile 945 video chipset -- not ATI.. So perhaps, Intel is more comprehensive than ATI in updating its older video drivers. I can't imagine it's a video hardware issue, but who knows.

It seems odd, especially since Win 10 is supposed to be less resource-intensive than prior Windows versions. And I thought the general guidance from MS has been that if you have Win 7 running fine on an existing machine now, it should be compatible with Windows 10.... Well, apparently not always...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It could very well be a video driver issue. However, I do have the latest ATI video drivers installed that are included as part of the drivers that are included with Windows.

Windows drivers that are newer than the ATI drivers from the Toshiba website for my laptop models. Since my laptops are 8 years old and Toshiba stopped providing updated drivers for those models around 6 or so years ago, since my laptops have been working fine under Win 7 provided drivers, and since the ATI driver utility/package called Catalyst includes a lot of crap rarely used I haven't tried reloading the version from the Toshiba website. However, but I did download the latest-and-greatest Catalyst package from the AMD support website (AMD bought ATI) but the package would not install...guess it sensed the video chips were too old....too much of a legacy associated with them....plus I didn't even see the X1400 mentioned on the AMD website...maybe just too old for them to care anymore.

As mentioned, one thing I haven't tried yet is re-installing the old Catalyst video from the Toshiba website which are even older than the MS provided ATI drivers and see what happens. Normally many laptop specific drivers such as video drivers do get included in MS driver updates because the laptop manufacturers provide the drivers to MS to be included in Windows driver updates...and MS wants the drivers to make their product more compatible.

I'm also going to try just the basic Windows VGA driver to see how that affects Win capability however I already know the basic driver will not activate the VGA external monitor connector and has very limited resolution settings as I tried that a few weeks ago, but I did not rerun the compatibility checker as I didn't know at that time how to force a rerun. But I now know how to force a rerun as mentioned in my earlier post....plus, if the driver don't activate/use the external video connector I don't want to use it as one of the laptops is always hooked up to an external monitor.

When the ATI video card compatibility issue appeared several weeks ago when the Win 10 compatibility app first loaded/ran I did some googling and many posts on the web saying the ATI X1400 card (and the Express card is basically the same but a little less horsepower) were having compatibility issues with the Win 10 Technical Release.

I do some more driver testing and googling on the ATI issue. But one thing for sure the Win 10 compatibility checker definitely changed it's tune from the first run a couple a weeks ago compared the the rerun over the last few days. The tune changed from some "possible issues" but I can reserve/install Win 10 to it's a critical issue that will not allow Win 10 to be installed. Maybe MS has done more testing/got more feedback from ATI X1400/Express card owners in use of the Win 10 Technical Release, the feedback is not good, and to avoid a lot of hate posts/bad press on the web after installing the Win 10 official release on 29 July that they have decided just to code Win 10 as not usable with a ATI X1400/Express video card. I'll do some more driver and compatibility testing over the coming week with my old Tohsiba's.

Well, while watching a movie this afternoon in my computer room/office I also tested some various AMD/ATI video drivers and googled some more on the problem for both my Toshiba laptops. Did about two hours of loading different drivers, confirming I had the latest driver, googling the Win 10 non-compatibility issue.

Found out the video driver on the Toshiba support website matches what is included in the Windows drivers as I loaded the video drivers from the support website...it loaded the same driver version as included with Win 7....reran the Win 10 compatibility tester and got the same negative results...that is, no can install Win 10 due to issues with the ATI card. Even tried some very recent drivers from the AMD/ATI website knowing they may not be for my video card...negative results. Also the Driver Scape web site shows I have the latest driver for my cards. A few times I almost turned my computers into the Blue Screen of Death machines by attempting to load certain drivers as a test.

Also, googling some more on various websites to include the Win 10 Microsoft community found plenty of posts from folks with legacy ATI video cards which they could not get to work with the Win 10 Technical Release. They too had tried a bunch of different drivers with negative results.

Appears my eight year Toshiba laptops have some legacy ATI cards/chips (i.e, Mobility Radeon X1400 and Express) that is not be supported in Win 10, by the laptop manufacturers, or by AMD/ATI due to cards' age. Looks like Win 7 will be staying on my two Toshiba's.

Also noticed the Win 10 compatibility results page although delivering non-capatibility bad news also gives me a link to the MS Store where I can buy a new computer....nice of MS to do that.

surely spending 2 hours to update drivers etc means its not worth the time to do a free upgrade? if you work for ms that's one thing, but doing this stuff rather than using a supported os seems like you are working for free to me

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. Not my preference.

Now, I am using Windows 7 Pro. (I assume a pirate version).

When Windows 10 comes into full operation, I assume that I will have to uninstall w 7, reinstall V 8.1 & then apply for V 10.

Correct?

Not necessarily. MS has stated that even non genuine Winwows 7 and 8 installations will be able to install Win 10 for free. Besides, my non genuine Windows 7 Pro box installed the latest updates, and the little windows icon tell me that I can preorder and install win10.

-> KB3035583

I've had this kb patch installed on my legit Win7 Home 64bit SP1 since 20-May and never seen the Small Windows symbol in task bar offering free upgrade to Windows 10.

Just out of interest I wanted to know if Win10 would work on my 3 year old laptop where Win8 wouldn't (not that I wanted Win8).

I installed Win10 Insider Prev build 10130 (using a swapped in spare hard disc) and downloading ISO file and it installed flawlessly very quickly downloading all the drivers. Now I want to upgrade, and want to know why I cannot via the Win7 task bar offering free upgrade to Win10? I read somewhere else by registering as an insider I get Win10 anyway? Which way is best to get final Win10 free?

I just downloaded the latest batch of updates, the new windows 10 nag icon has now gone.

I had already registered BTW. I'll let you know if it comes back, but it looks like the latest updates get rid of the icon, so far so good.

Spoke too soon, it's come back again.

Edited by Banzai99

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. Not my preference.

Now, I am using Windows 7 Pro. (I assume a pirate version).

When Windows 10 comes into full operation, I assume that I will have to uninstall w 7, reinstall V 8.1 & then apply for V 10.

Correct?

It is possible to do a legal downgrade of Win8/8.1 to Win 7 but I would think that if you just had someone install Win 7 for you at e.g. a local shop, it is more likely just using an activation hack.

As far as I know Microsoft haven't yet divulged exactly how the upgrade process will work. But they have said that a clean install of Win 10 will be possible.

If I had to guess I would say that in your case (a notebook that came with OEM Win 8.1) it won't be any problem because the Windows product key is stored in the UEFI. Since it is possible to do a clean install of Win 8.1 irrespective of what is or what isn't on the HDD/SSD and without entering a product key, then installing the free upgrade to Win 10 should work the same way. But as said,I'm only guessing.

I just downloaded the latest batch of updates, the new windows 10 nag icon has now gone.

I had already registered BTW. I'll let you know if it comes back, but it looks like the latest updates get rid of the icon, so far so good.

Now its gone again and I've not restarted my computer.

Now its gone again and I've not restarted my computer.

Restarted a few times, still no icon, I think when you have accepted the offer the nag icon goes away'

Try the latest updates

I have a Toshiba laptop with a genuine pre-installed Windows 7 and an Asus notebook with genuine pre-installed Windows 8.1 both machines fully up to date with Windows updates but as yet no notifications about possible upgrading to Windows 10..........why can anyone explain please p.s I,m living here in Thailand if this makes any difference?

I have a Toshiba laptop with a genuine pre-installed Windows 7 and an Asus notebook with genuine pre-installed Windows 8.1 both machines fully up to date with Windows updates but as yet no notifications about possible upgrading to Windows 10..........why can anyone explain please p.s I,m living here in Thailand if this makes any difference?

Download update KB3035583.

it seems to have disappeared now

Exactly, I just restored the Hidden Update and installed it but the icon in the taskbar doesn't show up anymore.

Mine is still there - but I just ignore it now as it seems like an old friend........whistling.gif

it seems to have disappeared now

Exactly, I just restored the Hidden Update and installed it but the icon in the taskbar doesn't show up anymore.

Give it time...like a few days...and it will probably reappear on the taskbar. It was a couple days "after the update installed" before mine started appearing on one of my laptops.

Edited by Pib

I don't think the icon appears until after install "and the x-amount time later once it's run an evaluation of you hardware and software." How long it takes to run this evaluation depends on a variety of things like other tasks that take priority, amount of software to evaluate, etc. It's a non-intrusive app which does its evaluation in the background with low resources usage.