Denied change from B to O Visa in Bangkok

So I recently got married and wanted to change my B-Visa to an O-Visa so I don't have to do 90 day exits. When we got to the office in Bangkok, apparently there is a new law from 2014. If you want to switch to from B to O you need to have been in the country over a year. Which I have, however it only counts if you have a 1 year extension on your B Visa from having a work permit. So with the new law you have to fly abroad, switch to 90 Day 0-Visa, then come back to Bangkok and apply for 1 year extension. Just an FYI. Please let me know if you have heard differently, thanks.

There is no new law !

Swapping visa categories is not possible.

if you wish to secure an "O" visa based on marriage then you will have to apply to a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a nearby country.

• Like 1

Perhaps you misunderstood the immigration officer. If you were on a one-year extension of stay, eg for the reason of employment, you could apply for a new one-year extension of stay, this time for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

• Like 1

You cannot change any visa including a B to O visa.

But, it is more than possible if you are on a 90 day border entry based on a non immigrant 'b' visa, plus you are within 30/45 days of its expiry with a valid WP and the correct marriage, tax papers proving 40,00 pcm income, etc., to directly apply for a One Year National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.18 Extension of Permission to stay Case 2.18 - Thai Family (Working).

There is no one year qualification period and no requirement to already be on a Case 2.1 'Working in Thailand' extension.

What ever the Immigration Office reasons or justification - or the rules - he couldn't get changed over... Abroad in Thailand for an 'O' Visa just means Penang or Vientiane - so not so bad.

I think you need to do a little research about visas.

What makes you think you do not need to do 90 day reports if you have a Non O visa??

You do!

No you don't, you have to exit Thailand - not quite the same!.

Not sure whose post you are referring to.

You are only required to do a 90 day report if you have legitimately stayed in Thailand more than 90 days without exit.

If one was on a 90 day non immigrant entry, one would be on overstay after 90 days.

I think you need to do a little research about visas.

What makes you think you do not need to do 90 day reports if you have a Non O visa??

You do!

If you have a valid non-o visa you have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry so there is no need for 90 day reports.

If you have a one year extension of stay of a non-o visa entry you do have to make 90 day reports.

• Like 2