Honda MSX Rear Axle Problem.

Here is a weird one - any ideas?

My son's MSX needed the chain tightening and we loosened the rear axle with a couple of half inch drive 19mm and 14mm sockets as we usually do.

Adjusted the chain and re tightened the axle, by hand with the same sockets. I checked the chain and it felt a little tight so decided to slacken it off a touch.

Now here is where we hit the problem, the rear axle bolt will simply not loosen off!

I have tried a hammer on the wrenches, nothing, we even put a set of 2 foot long Stillsons on the bolt and an 8 foot bar on the nut, simply cannot budge it!

It has locked solid, tried lube tried hammers tried everything I can think of except heat as this will probably screw the paint on the swing arm, anyone had this problem with this bike before?

The bike had been ridden in sand prior to trying to adjust the chain, do you think sand could bind the nut?

Seems strange that the axle bolt can be turned with one hand with a socket (just spins) but cannot be unloosened. (i.e. The axle bolt is no longer tight and the axle can be slid forward and backward - do you think it is safeish to ride about 5 km to the repair shop only using the chain tension nuts)

Edited by Vogele123

Hi . The axle shaft is basicly a large bolt , with the nut on the opposite end to the shaft head .Yes ? .Are you saying the bolt / shaft will turn / spin in the swing arm whit a socket on the bolt head , but you cant slacken the nut in relation to the shaft ? .

Hi . The axle shaft is basicly a large bolt , with the nut on the opposite end to the shaft head .Yes ? .Are you saying the bolt / shaft will turn / spin in the swing arm whit a socket on the bolt head , but you cant slacken the nut in relation to the shaft ? .

Yes, exactly, not with a 2 foot Stillson wrench on the 14mm side and an 8 foot bar on the 19mm nut! I have rounded off the 14mm bolt head, unbelievable.

Edited by Vogele123

From what I can gather it should just be a long straight bolt with a washer either side, (From the Honda manual) however this has 3 washers on the nut side and two on the bolt side - doubt that is making much difference but a bit weird)

Tried WD40 but like I say, an 8 foot bar with me on one side and my 100KG son and the concrete floor on the other for leverage and we cannot budge it!!!)

Checked the thread and it is not a left handed one, just completely stumped.

I cannot let him ride it like this, I need to try to get it fixed.

Ok i have a better idea of the problem . Is the nut a "nylock" or a castle nut - used with a split pin .

Nope, we have adjusted this a few times before, there is nothing, no threadlock, no castle or locking mechanism, it is a normal nut and bolt. I have had this slackened off half a dozen times before, adjusted the chain and reset everything. This time the damn thing is rock solid.

It was retorqued just using a foot long socket wrench, (not cross threaded as the nut was only loosened not removed) now an 8 foot lever will not loosen it, truly, never seen anything like it, seized solid.

Edited by Vogele123

Ok i think the reason it had so many washers ( 5 ! ) was that the thread was previously damaged by someone , and the washers used to "pad" out the nut , onto a good part of the thread . The threads have now bound together . As both the shaft and nut are scrap - yes ? , i suggest grinding off the nut (carefull where the sparks go ) . You may have to use an angle grinder on either side of the nut . Then grind the shaft burs / damage off , so they dont damage the swing-arm or inner races of the wheel bearings when you drift it out . It should pull out by hand , as it is still free to turn ..New shaft / nut cheaper than swing-arm .Strange one indeed .

Sounds like it has "galled ". The nut has welded itself to the axle through friction heat. Quite easy to do on stainless fasteners (even though I don't think the axle is stainless steel ) Your only choice is to grind it off and install a new axle. I wouldn't ride it if I were you.