Problem With Yamaha Nouvo Rear Lamp Supports Melting

Anyone know about the problem in the title? Maybe "dissolving" is a better description than "melting".

I've left the bike for a couple of years covered, but the rear lights were fairly open to the air. I start it once a week.

I just noticed that the supporting stem that holds the left side lamp has gone soft and sticky so that the lamp is hanging down on its wire. The right side support looks as if it is going the same way, but hasn't broken off yet.

I've stuck the left side lamp up using fabric backed tape for now as I need to use the bike tomorrow, but I can post some pictures later tomorrow.

As I investigated the left side lamp that was hanging down, some bits of plastic from the supporting stem literally broke off in my hand and they felt as if they were dissolving, leaving a sticky mess on my fingers. I wonder if a fuel leak or fumes from a breather tube from the tank are slowly affecting the plastic?

Anyone have any info on this?

Very curious!

I'd think loosely tarped and regularly started would be fine.

Guessing YNE?

What year?

Was the tarp vinyl?

Vinyl chloride off-gassing can degrade plastics.

Edited by papa al

Very curious!

I'd think loosely tarped and regularly started would be fine.

Guessing YNE?

What year?

Was the tarp vinyl?

Vinyl chloride off-gassing can degrade plastics.

It was covered by an old shower curtain to keep the jin-jok poo off it, and a couple of 20 baht mats on the seat to keep the cat happy that liked to sleep underneath the shower curtain.

But the rear number plate was always showing, so air could circulate around that end.

It's about 5 years old and done 3,600 km. Yes, I only use it in emergencies or to go to a beach with no car parking.

I'll take some pictures after I get home later.

It's a known issue with the nuovo that the rubber indicator supports deteriorate.

Had the same problem, and I think they want something like 1000 Baht for 2 supports, so I ended up modifying the indicators and fitting them straight to the fender.

It's a known issue with the nuovo that the rubber indicator supports deteriorate.

Had the same problem, and I think they want something like 1000 Baht for 2 supports, so I ended up modifying the indicators and fitting them straight to the fender.

Yep, this is a well known problem on the Nouvo Elegance (older carb model). The rubber part of the rear indicators get brittle and break. Iirr you can only buy the whole indicator, not the rubber part alone, so expensive to fix. 500 Baht seems to be the correct price for one complete flasher assy, left or right. 1000 for both :)

Edited by wantan

That's good news, as I don't like it when things happen to me that are apparently unique! (And "misery loves company" biggrin.png)

So hopefully my repair man should know what to do to replace them - thanks for the info.

Here's a pic of the problem left lamp:

post-35489-0-43030800-1433663624_thumb.j

And some bits of plastic lying on the ground:

post-35489-0-70582200-1433663656_thumb.j

The right side lamp support is starting to go:

post-35489-0-18640300-1433663827_thumb.j

Edit:

Thanks wantan for your confirmation.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I've had the same problem and as stated above,you have to buy the hole assembly.The dealer price was close to 500Baht...but after some searching,I've found the aftermarket parts place,that had it for only 150 Baht..yeah!

Edited by funcat

• 2 weeks later...