Buying an elephant.

papa al

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 20 years ago at the Surin Elephant Festival I got talking to a mahout who was there with his elephant. The beast was a fully grown but young female, I forget her name after all these years. As a matter of interest I asked him how much an elephand like has was worth. He replied that if I wanted one like her it would cost about 12 thousand baht.

Of couse 12K was worth a lot more then than it is now, and you must remember you generally don't only buy the jumbo but also the mahout that goes with it. He has usually trained the elephant from a very young age. Add to that the feeding bills and it becomes an economic impossibility .

Don't all elephants have to registered with certification papers, I'm sure they do, so it would be probably illegally impossible for you to buy one anyway.

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why is this request silly?

If one has the resources and the inclination, why not rear an Elephant?

Some have dogs, cats, mice as pets...

can you please send me a few grams of what your smoking , as the weather must be wonderful

on YOUR planet ......

but if you are for real and looking for a pet , i have 2 " unicorns " looking for a good home we

can work out a fair price ....

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why is this silly ? Thailand has indigenous elephants which are put to work, Thai nationals have and own elephants used for various things

So will ask again why is this request silly ?

Are are you being a racist suggesting a lilly white can't own an elephant ?

If the OP lived in the middle of London and was asking this then I may agree with your opinion, but we are not

‘papa al’ …. Maybe people find you want for an elephant strange as it’s a bit out of the normal….as far as pets go.

But thinking about it….Why not, as you say if you have the room and resources.

One word of advice, (from my vast experance of efilumps) if you’re going to keep elephants I think you need to get two, they are very social animals……. I’ve always had Jack Russell’s in pairs….. OK, scales off a little, but you get my drift right?

Go for it……. if your getting them for the right reasons!

Why is this request silly?

If one has the resources and the inclination, why not rear an Elephant?

Some have dogs, cats, mice as pets...

Well, see, now you have made it more complicated. If he wants to rear the elephant then he of course will need a step ladder, a larger willy and one helluva strong condom. Add that to the possibility of the elephant constantly moving and you have a nightmare situation right there. tongue.png

Also it will be a life long commitment not just a short term thing, they live a long time, but if you have the room, why not, they are gorgeous things BUT handling is key, they can also be lethal. I fancy an ostrich personally ( enough of my sexual preferencelaugh.png )

Why is this silly ? Thailand has indigenous elephants which are put to work, Thai nationals have and own elephants used for various things

If the OP lived in the middle of London and was asking this then I may agree with your opinion, but we are not

Only is it is a white elephant

and that's a silly , everyone knows that elephants get lost in the middle of London, Giraffes are better suited , those double Decker buses obstruct the vision of elephants

Also it will be a life long commitment not just a short term thing, they live a long time, but if you have the room, why not, they are gorgeous things BUT handling is key, they can also be lethal. I fancy an ostrich personally ( enough of my sexual preferencelaugh.png )

Ostrich meat tastes better than elephant

sad.png Call papa 'lily white'?

That stings.

There was a question not long ago from someone that obviously knew nothing about dogs that wanted to buy a working sheep dog.

Unless I am mistaken the OP falls into the same category but with potentially catastrophic results. This could lead to unintentional animal cruelty.

You can also rent it. I knew a guy whose family was in this business, renting elephants to resorts as an attraction for the guests. He was complaining that with the tips the mahouts were actually making more money than them.

I know a guy used to circumcise elephants.

Paid poorly but the tips were big.

I disagree!!

of course I have not tasted either one of them.

but in the spirit of TVF posting etiquette, I am required to disagree.and inclined to argue that Emus have superior tasting meat

I disagree!!

but in the spirit of TVF posting etiquette, I am required to disagree.and inclined to argue that Emus have superior tasting meat

I have and trust me ostrich by a mile

I disagree!!

I have and trust me ostrich by a mile

Sure , it makes sense , Elephants are pretty slow, to take a bite out of an Ostrich, would take at least a mile to catch up with them.

I have eaten both elephant and ostrich. Ostrich meat is tough and stringy but it makes very good jerky or biltong. Elephant meat is so tough it is virtually inedible except for the trunk, that is quite tender. The best way to cook it is the braise trunk meat that has been cut into slices. It tastes quite like oxtail. However if you eat it cooked like this don't be put off by the two holes in the meat where the nostrils were.

"Are are you being a racist suggesting a lilly white can't own an elephant ?"

Are you being racist assuming that everyone who posts here is white?

As to the why is this a silly request. Elephants are not pets and should not be owned. Those that do have them inherited them. They are not a commodity to be bought and sold.

The poster that suggested a full grown elephant used to cost 12k baht 20 years ago. I know that you are old but your memory shouldn't be that far gone. Try closer to 1.2 million baht even 20 years ago.

I think it's possible;

Ganesha Park in Kanchanaburi province owns his elephants ;

it belongs to a french man Francois Collier ;

it's along the big artificial lake of Thong Pha Phum, in the north of the province

http://www.ganeshapark.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297924-d1063065-Reviews-Ganesha_Park-Kanchanaburi_Kanchanaburi_Province.html

You can send him a message about your request ;

How he had the possibility of buying his elephants ?

where did he bought them ?

How much he paid for them ..?.