How to figure out the baht bus route?

Hal65

No Baht Bus turns right on Central. You exit and go to Northeast side of Central,

( also known as Pattaya Klang), and catch another bus to Big C extra.

Occasionally they will turn right. Usually straight and common to turn left too. Ones turning right will sometimes kick you off.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just look what side of the road they are on... though admittedly I always realise this just after I already get on but if in right lane it seems to always turn right

Only relevant if quite near a potential turn. Otherwise useless.

Next ...

Just look what side of the road they are on... though admittedly I always realise this just after I already get on but if in right lane it seems to always turn right

Next ...

No they stay on the right side the whole trip when turning right on 2nd road. If you want to catch one turning right best to get it from the right side of 2nd road.

Next ...

No they stay on the right side the whole trip when turning right on 2nd road. If you want to catch one turning right best to get it from the right side of 2nd road.
OK. Good luck.

Edited by Jingthing

I thought they did introduce some sort colour-coded route system years ago, but it was never respected.

Anyone who has ever observed Thai drivers' notions of lane discipline and parking etiquette (both of which are non-existent) will understand why. They go where they like with no regard for anyone else, or for safety or for practicality.

Yes, I think this is one of the reasons the fare is low and yes 10 baht is low. There are no transfers. The buses do unpredictable things. You still need to pay.

For example sometimes buses from Jomtien will turn at Pattaya Tai and usually people are grumbling because they wanted to go further. But still must pay the 10 baht and either walk or catch a new bus.

Happy riding.

I was on a bus on Second Road going towards Pattaya Central Road, I thought the bus would go straight on, but it turned left

into Central Road, I stopped the bus, I was the only passenger on it, I made sure there was no one or any other bus nearby, then

told the driver I was not going to pay him. Being a Thai, there was no way he was going to tackle a big guy like me by himself.

He probably knew he would get more passengers turning left in to Beach Road than going straight on down Second Road.

You brave man , I need you as a security guard next time I need to relief my anger , I am not brave enough to risk my bodyparts yet.

Personally I just stayed on the bus and if it did happen to go straight across at the lights, I would ring the bell and get off at Tops, and cross over and wait for another one on Klang.

Surely baht buses are like the lottery .....................you just pay the money and hope for the best.

If you want to guarantee your destination ........................there are always taxis ( with meters) .

Surely baht buses are like the lottery .....................you just pay the money and hope for the best.

If you want to guarantee your destination ........................there are always taxis ( with meters) .

Taxis with meters in Pattaya? cheesy.gif

No Baht Bus turns right on Central. You exit and go to Northeast side of Central,

Wrong! I have been on a bus that has made this turn many times and I'm sure it wasn't a dreamblink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Yes, I think this is one of the reasons the fare is low and yes 10 baht is low. There are no transfers. The buses do unpredictable things. You still need to pay.

For example sometimes buses from Jomtien will turn at Pattaya Tai and usually people are grumbling because they wanted to go further. But still must pay the 10 baht and either walk or catch a new bus.

Happy riding.

Okay but that shouldn't stop them from displaying a number or a sign on a board which they can slide in and out of a frame mounted at the front.

Then if they want to change their schedule there and then they can stop the vehicle slide the identification board out and just go to the side of the vehicle and tell the passengers they are going to do something unpredictable and everybody needs to bugger off blink.png

Try this - it used to work years ago but I haven't ridden in one or had to flag one down for so long I don't know if it's still in common practice. Although I have seen a few Thais using theses signals from time to time.

It certainly used to be the common way the Thais used to indicate their intentions.

If you want to turn right at the next intersection, flag down the driver with your right arm extended and point with your index finger across the road. This is asking him if his intention is to turn right. If he's not turning right, he won't stop.

If you want to turn left at the next intersection, stand facing directly across the street and point over your left shoulder with your right hand. If turning left, he'll stop.

Wrong! I have been on a bus that has made this turn many times and I'm sure it wasn't a dreamblink.png

I agree they turn right occasionally.

I usually don't want to turn right there so just get off.

I get the feeling though that sometimes they would kick people off there and I also know that sometimes such buses will just be going a short way to Soi Boukauw and then going south (not what the OP wants).

In my experience over the years, I can give these rough estimates:

Going straight through: 80 percent

Turning left: 15 percent

Turning right: 5 percent

Try this - it used to work years ago but I haven't ridden in one or had to flag one down for so long I don't know if it's still in common practice. Although I have seen a few Thais using theses signals from time to time.

It certainly used to be the common way the Thais used to indicate their intentions.

If you want to turn right at the next intersection, flag down the driver with your right arm extended and point with your index finger across the road. This is asking him if his intention is to turn right. If he's not turning right, he won't stop.

If you want to turn left at the next intersection, stand facing directly across the street and point over your left shoulder with your right hand. If turning left, he'll stop.

I have never (really not even once) noticed anyone using such hand signals on 2nd road. But when I used to take the cross town bus on Pattaya Klang a lot, I did notice that (and tried it myself) going from east to west on that road to ask them if they would be turning right (north) at 2nd road or not (going to beach and then south).

To add, I find the cross town frequency of service on Pattaya Klang inadequate.

Of course you could try out the hand signals anywhere but don't expect them to always understand. For example on 2nd road they might sincerely think you're asking if the bus is going straight at Pattaya North through to Naklua with such signals. IF you can communicate with signals (as opposed to talking), I think the assumption is that you are still on a bus fare rate, not a charter.

Edited by Jingthing

I have never (really not even once) noticed anyone using such hand signals on 2nd road. But when I used to take the cross town bus on Pattaya Klang a lot, I did notice that (and tried it myself) going from east to west on that road to ask them if they would be turning right (north) at 2nd road or not (going to beach and then south).

To add, I find the cross town frequency of service on Pattaya Klang inadequate.

Of course you could try out the hand signals anywhere but don't expect them to always understand. For example on 2nd road they might sincerely think you're asking if the bus is going straight at Pattaya North through to Naklua with such signals. IF you can communicate with signals (as opposed to talking), I think the assumption is that you are still on a bus fare rate, not a charter.

Well as I said, it was in common practice by Thai locals and it worked for me when I used it as recently as three years ago.

It was the recognised way of flagging down a bus and I've seen locals using it quite recently. Admittedly there are probably very few non Thais that even know there is a system in place.

It shouldn't be used if you're not intending to take a turn, just use the usual arm extended, palm down gesture.

JT, as you're the official baht bus expert on TV, why don't you give it a try and report back - if it works you could save hundreds of Falangs the inconvenience of being taken left when they want to go right as well as the numerous 10B savings for the additional ride.

I won't bother.

I'm not interested in interacting with the drivers at all.

Anyway if I'm coming from Jomtien and going further than Klang, I would be paying 20 anyway!

Also no, I still don't think hand signals are widely used on 2nd road.

Also keep in mind Thais talking to the drivers (I see that) will probably not have to worry about a surprise charter conversion unless it is a real charter conversion.

Another takeaway from this thread ... the VAST majority of Northbound buses on 2nd road will be going STRAIGHT at Pattaya Klang.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 months later...

A simple question; If i want go to Jomtien, where is the best spot to wait for a Baht Taxi? Intersection Second Road, Tai, there where many Taxis parking, it seems other Taxis don't stop. It's easy to go to Pattaya from Jomtien, but a little bit hassle to go back.

And some drivers are just crazy. I stepped into a Taxi from Soi 8 Beachroad. After may be 100 meters the Taxi stopped and the driver asked me where i want to go. I told him; Jomtien. He said, i go to Walkingstreet. Well, that's fine. But he refused me take to WS. <deleted>? So i walked away without to pay 10 Baht.

If you want to be certain of getting to Jomtien, yes the infamous baht bus queue at 2nd road and Pattaya Tai is the surest thing.

You can pick up a bus after that but they may or may not go all the way to Jomtien and if you get on one without talking, then it's your problem if they don't; if you talk to them, there is the risk of being converted to charter fare.

Many people say you can pick of a bus before the queue and go to Jomtien for 10 baht, but frankly, that NEVER works out for me.

Like if I'm on a bus that went down beach, and then turns towards Jomtien (a minority of buses) EVERY TIME I've asked them are they going to Jomtien, they just shoo me away. Of course you could just stay on and take your chances. I'd rather not.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, that's what i do. I step out at the intersection, go by the Baht Bus queue and try to stop there a Bus. Most time it works nearby Soi 16(?) or further away. Probably that's the best solution. So far, every Taxi went straight to Jomtien.

If i stay at second road Soi 8 or so..., i prefer to walk to Soi Bukhao and stop there a Taxi. Much faster to reach WS then over the Beachroad at least at Weekends and Evening-hours). Anyways, i hate when the driver start to asking something. Then you know for 99% he wants a charter.

Edited by alocacoc

About the queue there, do they wait till they have enough customers and go for 10 baht? Or do they accept only charter tours?

Good question.

There is always a queue to fill the bus and when they are busy they will insist on six people on each side plus standers but during slower times will often go with a somewhat less full load. Which means if it is an off time, it might be a long wait to fill the bus.

At the very same queue, you can also ask for a taxi charter.

People often get confused and board buses that are about to be charters and that keeps the queue "minders" busy kicking such people off.

never mind the various intersection, as a tourist town, an easily navigatable public transport would be good for business, say a circle along beach- second road with different colored bus than normal.

make it well known at every hotels that it's only 10 baht to get on and off anywhere, if you miss a stop, wait another turn and you're back where you're started.

I can see the resistance from the drivers if they could lose the charter money, I see them make easy killings with 60-80 baht for a charter from Central on soi 9 to walking street all the time

maybe another big circle for Naklua-Jomtien that goes that could have cars going both clockwise and anti-clockwise