Fiat 500 in Thailand

Now we all know that perceived luxury car brands in Thailand are taxed really heavily and a rational person would balk at the government ripping them off. But as we also know, the Thai people who can afford to be ripped off don't seem to mind because they can show off their wealth. Now in the west, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus etc are all desirable brands, but ask a westerner about a Fiat and you will usually get the "Fiat worse than death" quote. Modern day Fiats are not bad cars in their class, but I bet most people would choose a Ford or Volkswagen ahead of them. So why is the humble Fiat 500 so expensive in Thailand? The cheapest one here is 1,690,000 baht. The price of an equivalent model in the UK is 765,000 baht. I am sure the most recent Fiesta is every bit as good if not better than a Fiat 500, so why would anyone pay double the price for one? It seems to be like selling snow to Eskimos if people pay that much.

In 1969 A mate and I drove a Fiat 500 from Hannover to St Marlow to get the ferry to Jersey. We had a go-kart on the roof,as we were competing in the Bouley bay hill climb

The tiny Fiat never missed a beat the whole way there and back over 1000km each way. We were in the Army at the time

Great Great cars

The taxation system doesn't target luxury cars - it targets imported cars.

Still just does not add up......

One2Car has a 2014 VW UP for 1.88 million.... 1.0lt tiny car. [makes the Fiat 500 look cheap]........and a 2014, 1.4 turbo Golf for 899,000 baht

a brand new Golf GTi 2.0 lt cost 2.3 million list price.... who in the right mind would buy a VW UP for 1.88 million baht ?

One2Car has a 2014 VW UP for 1.88 million.... 1.0lt tiny car. [makes the Fiat 500 look cheap]........and a 2014, 1.4 turbo Golf for 899,000 baht

a brand new Golf GTi 2.0 lt cost 2.3 million list price.... who in the right mind would buy a VW UP for 1.88 million baht ?

just wondering where did you see a Golf GTI new at 2.3 m list? Grey? MK7? thanks

Maybe somone here can tell me about some links to used car sites with classic cars? Preferbly in english. but Thai will do if there are pictures of what's for sale.

Or, do anyone know of an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV for sale?

Maybe somone here can tell me about some links to used car sites with classic cars? Preferbly in english. but Thai will do if there are pictures of what's for sale.

Here's some links to local classic cars for sale...

http://www.carkolorclassics.com/en#

http://www.classiccarclubphuket.com/Speedster.html

I've been looking for a 1750 for sale as well, I don't see any listed at the moment. But you can check the following to see if one pops up

www.one2car.com

www.taladrod.com

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100&s=120454d9f4feea5498de68029f16342c%27

http://www.carkolorclassics.com/

http://www.classiccarclubphuket.com/ClassicCarsForSale.html

http://www.thaiautovintage.com/web/classiccars.php

http://www.bangkokclassiccar.com/forum/index.php

there are couple more other thai sites, but I don't think they are updated that often

I know this isn't much help, but I noticed a repair/used Alfa place a 20 second walk from the Ploenchit BTS station. It had many, ten?, vintage alfas that looked like they were being restored. If you are in Bkk, you could have a look? I was staying at the Circle condo at the time, and this alfa place was on Petchaburi Road. On the same side of the BTS station as the Circle Condo.

I've had a new Honda Civic which I kept for 3 years, I've now got a Ford Ranger which I'll trade after 2-3 years. Both vehicles way below 1MM baht because they were manufactured here in Thailand. I am comfortably off and pay cash for everything and although I could easily afford a "luxury" imported vehicle, why would I want to pay double or more price just to look "flash" when all the manufacturers in Thailand build models which have all the extras and are just as comfortable as any Mercedes, BMW or the like!

You can also try asking here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlfaRomeoThailnd/

The majority of Alfas in Thailand are the 156 as you may know, since they were assembled here in Rayong (CKD). Other models are rare but can be found in various conditions from near mint to requiring complete restoration.

Good luck.

Slightly off topic but yesterday up north in Maechan Tesco Lotus a Peugeot 505 was parked next to me , the damn thing looked better than the first one I had in England in 1993. Ah but the 2.5 turbo 7 seater estate was a luvely car , not seen any over here ( 7 seater estate )

A bit off topic,I have a MB S500 (W140) for 13 years. This was their flagship need I say more. Now costs less than 500KB. If health and safety is one of your priority then I highly recommend this one.

I think what many forget is that being local market it is for the locals and locals do not come from Western countries where prices are cheaper.

Locals are born and raised with this prices, so VW at double the price is not really double in their eyes.

And those who look at imported cars are not really concerned about the prices, when many buy it outright with cash.

If this proposed FTA between the European Union and Thailand goes through will motor vehicles be included?

It's unlikely that there will be any major concessions for EU car imports, as that's almost a one-way street - EU has little interest in Thai made pickups (it's a small market which is already serviced by Spain), and in eco cars, EU already has well established suppliers in nearly all member states.

If there's no increased opportunity for Thailand exports, there's not going to be any concession for EU exports.

I think what many forget is that being local market it is for the locals and locals do not come from Western countries where prices are cheaper.

Locals are born and raised with this prices, so VW at double the price is not really double in their eyes.

And those who look at imported cars are not really concerned about the prices, when many buy it outright with cash.

Moreover, there's the subjects of resale values and social status :P

After 13 years still happy with MB ?

I just bough a new S-class this year, hope I can keep it as long as you !

A bit off topic,I have a MB S500 (W140) for 13 years. This was their flagship need I say more. Now costs less than 500KB. If health and safety is one of your priority then I highly recommend this one.

Your family will enjoy spending your money when you will be gone, they should be happy that you are tasteless about cars :-)

I've had a new Honda Civic which I kept for 3 years, I've now got a Ford Ranger which I'll trade after 2-3 years. Both vehicles way below 1MM baht because they were manufactured here in Thailand. I am comfortably off and pay cash for everything and although I could easily afford a "luxury" imported vehicle, why would I want to pay double or more price just to look "flash" when all the manufacturers in Thailand build models which have all the extras and are just as comfortable as any Mercedes, BMW or the like!

The 899k is maybe the down payment. Impossible that a one year old Golf drop from 2.3 Mill to 899'k

Edited by stingray

Your family will enjoy spending your money when you will be gone, they should be happy that you are tasteless about cars :-)

Hi If I was you i would watch my mouth, No need to be rude. It seems that Rob has far more sense than you in cars. Merkades S ( as called by the farmers in Germany ) Big deal you can buy them

for peanuts in the UK

Hi If I was you i would watch my mouth, No need to be rude. It seems that Rob has far more sense than you in cars. Merkades S ( as called by the farmers in Germany ) Big deal you can buy them

for peanuts in the UK

[/thanks for the giggle....Ranger as comfe as Merkades S indeed]

Edited by 149er

for peanuts in the UK

[/thanks for the giggle....Ranger as comfe as Merkades S indeed]

Hi dont want to be rude but it looks to me like a bit of a mess. he he In Germany so many farmers drive Mercedes people pull their leggs and call them Merkades

Its all to do with the accent ( north )

lannaclassiccars.com. They tend to have 105 series Alfas but the GTV's go pretty quickly.