Free government medical for farangs?

I'm sure I was told this isn't the case but a farang guy owns the hotel we're staying at is adamant farang get free government medical in Thailand. Is that right? The guy is married (registered marry) to a Thai lady so maybe that is the reason.

Nope - you don't qualify just for being in Thailand. That includes people married to Thais

If you are covered by social security, you are paying for it.

Edited by jdinasia

Nope - you don't qualify just for being in Thailand. That includes people married to Thais

Yup, I have a social security medical card, specific gov't hospital.

The nice thing is that even when you stop work you can continue to pay in the nominal fee and retain cover.

I'm quite happy to pay something. Is this only avail to a farang married to a thai? Is this the card they opened up to foreigners some time ago then finished the scheme 6 months after? If still available I'd like some info on how to apply. Reasonable medical cover is the only thing I haven't worked out as far as living here long term goes.

I'm quite happy to pay something. Is this only avail to a farang married to a thai? Is this the card they opened up to foreigners some time ago then finished the scheme 6 months after? If still available I'd like some info on how to apply. Reasonable medical cover is the only thing I haven't worked out as far as living here long term goes.

Your thinking of the scheme for migrant workers and some westerners managed to get on the scheme by mistake, and these cards were withdrawn sometime after, as stated there is no free medical scheme or even a nominal payment scheme for farangs, unless they have worked in Thailand and paid into social security fund or married to Thai nationals who have government medical schemes ie civil servants and are dependents of said persons

Define reasonable medical cover ?

Edited by Soutpeel

As stated, if you have a work permit you can get free health care at a designated hospital and continue it once you retire or stop work. I've paid 1,500 baht a month but now i'm reaching 60 it's going down to 400 baht I think. The drawback is the hospital they designate may be limited in its facilities but its better than nothing.

As stated, if you have a work permit you can get free health care at a designated hospital and continue it once you retire or stop work. I've paid 1,500 baht a month but now i'm reaching 60 it's going down to 400 baht I think. The drawback is the hospital they designate may be limited in its facilities but its better than nothing.

Yes I have this facility and did recently use it, but never again. Contrary to what a lot of people think most Thais prefer to pay a small fee trather than use the . Free healthcare simply because they get preference over the nonpaying Thais.

I went into the emergency department of the hospital with a small problem. I stupidly told them that I was entitled to free healthcare. I had to wait for several hours until all the Thai and foreign fee paying patients had been served first.

And even worse still I had to wait the rest of the day to collect my medicine in a special area for nonpaying patients which had very limited access. Also the medicine on the free scheme is limited only government produced medicine Which can be bought at any pharmacy just for a few baht.

To see a good doctor at a government hospital will only cost you about Bt300 but you will not have to wait too long. At Hua Hin government hospital There is an express service tfor foreigners by which you pay an extra 200 bahtt and get seen straightaway and go to the top of the queue when you pay and and collect your medicine

Pay Thai S.S., 1,500 a month 50/50 with company, have had for over 30 years. never a problem at any Gov. Hospital, if they don't have the facilities they send you to a Gov. Hospital they does.

Some requested things you pay a small fee for now, but over all I have never paid, I patiently wait with the Thais until my turn comes up. Easy

I get 100% free medical cover which includes dentistry as well.

How?

My wife is Thai and works as a government officer ( a well respected one I might add) As a government officer, she and her immediate family are entitled to free health care ..and that includes me :)

I have had the benefit of this on quite a few occasions and the only time money changes hands is to pay for any medication, for which my wife claims back.

Morally however, I feel as guilty as hell when I use the benefit .. me, a foreigner who hasn't paid into the system getting free health care just doesn't seem quite ethical somehow, when I look around at all the genuinely sick Thais who don't have the same benefits I do,

Pay Thai S.S., 1,500 a month 50/50 with company, have had for over 30 years. never a problem at any Gov. Hospital, if they don't have the facilities they send you to a Gov. Hospital they does.

Some requested things you pay a small fee for now, but over all I have never paid, I patiently wait with the Thais until my turn comes up. Easy

Not sure what scheme you are referring to, but the SS as we know it today has only been in existence for about 20 years. I have been a member for almost that time, virtually from the day of its inception.

There are some drawbacks, such as the nearest member hospital often being some distance away. But overall very good system.

I saved this information last year prior to arriving in Thailand, does anyone know if it bears any creedence. Sorry I did not save the Thai version.

With more and more foreigners living in Thailand, particularly due to the steady rise in foreigners with Thai family, access to healthcare is becoming more and more of an issue for many. If you are employed in Thailand, social care/insurance is obligatory. Many employers will obviously offer their own private schemes. However, self financing insurance runs the risk of the insurer refusing to payout (happens a lot) and there are also overall caps. Without an employer to indemnify you in such circumstances, you're on your own.

The Thai government is between a rock and a hardplace on this issue. Family migration is a natural and intrinsic aspect of this rapidly changing and shrinking world. They're realising it's simply not affordable for many to have expensive private care in Thailand. At the same time, there are so many aged old fart farangs living in the country now, covering their ailing health as they drink themselves into their twighlight years is a burden with no tangible benefit to Thailand and it's people. Equally, those with average means but with family in Thailand are stuck between healthcare poverty, the unaffordablility of moving their family elsewhere, and when they go online for advice the only forthcoming on most Thai forums is from some sad pr:ck with a bar girl on his lap keyboard warrier stating that you should 'go home' if you can't afford healthcare. The reality is that Thailand is home for many foreigners.

I've been looking hard at this recently. My wife insists that our family have the financial resources for us to be self insured. However, living without some kind of emergency insurance makes me very uncomfortable indeed. There are plenty of private plans, most of which are very costly indeed. Voluntary excess reduces premiums considerably but then the policies become only really useful if you become very seriously ill.

The Thai governent recently cancelled a scheme for foreigners where free care was offered, but quickly replaced it with a 'reduced cost' health alternative at government hospitals. The scheme is priced at ฿2200 per year (i.e. nothing). A mandatory health screen when enrolling costs an additional ฿600.

ALL foreigners are eligible, with no age restrictions. Anyone that is obviously abusing drugs or heavily drinking alcohol will be refused treatment/enrollment to the scheme. Your blood will be tested when you go to register, so lying is pointless. You MUST be resident in Thailand and be able to prove it. For example, Thai wife and kids guarantees your acceptance (subject to the aforementioned caveats).

It's a government scheme, so it'll be government hospitals. They're sure not three star hotels but state run hospitals in Thailand provide basic all round services, so if you can't afford large private healthcare premiums, it's going to be a useful backup plan for many.

You can read up about this, the full government decree (in Thai) can be downloaded here. . .

I saved this information last year prior to arriving in Thailand, does anyone know if it bears any creedence. Sorry I did not save the Thai version.

With more and more foreigners living in Thailand, particularly due to the steady rise in foreigners with Thai family, access to healthcare is becoming more and more of an issue for many. If you are employed in Thailand, social care/insurance is obligatory. Many employers will obviously offer their own private schemes. However, self financing insurance runs the risk of the insurer refusing to payout (happens a lot) and there are also overall caps. Without an employer to indemnify you in such circumstances, you're on your own.

The Thai government is between a rock and a hardplace on this issue. Family migration is a natural and intrinsic aspect of this rapidly changing and shrinking world. They're realising it's simply not affordable for many to have expensive private care in Thailand. At the same time, there are so many aged old fart farangs living in the country now, covering their ailing health as they drink themselves into their twighlight years is a burden with no tangible benefit to Thailand and it's people. Equally, those with average means but with family in Thailand are stuck between healthcare poverty, the unaffordablility of moving their family elsewhere, and when they go online for advice the only forthcoming on most Thai forums is from some sad pr:ck with a bar girl on his lap keyboard warrier stating that you should 'go home' if you can't afford healthcare. The reality is that Thailand is home for many foreigners.

I've been looking hard at this recently. My wife insists that our family have the financial resources for us to be self insured. However, living without some kind of emergency insurance makes me very uncomfortable indeed. There are plenty of private plans, most of which are very costly indeed. Voluntary excess reduces premiums considerably but then the policies become only really useful if you become very seriously ill.

The Thai governent recently cancelled a scheme for foreigners where free care was offered, but quickly replaced it with a 'reduced cost' health alternative at government hospitals. The scheme is priced at ฿2200 per year (i.e. nothing). A mandatory health screen when enrolling costs an additional ฿600.

ALL foreigners are eligible, with no age restrictions. Anyone that is obviously abusing drugs or heavily drinking alcohol will be refused treatment/enrollment to the scheme. Your blood will be tested when you go to register, so lying is pointless. You MUST be resident in Thailand and be able to prove it. For example, Thai wife and kids guarantees your acceptance (subject to the aforementioned caveats).

It's a government scheme, so it'll be government hospitals. They're sure not three star hotels but state run hospitals in Thailand provide basic all round services, so if you can't afford large private healthcare premiums, it's going to be a useful backup plan for many.

You can read up about this, the full government decree (in Thai) can be downloaded here. . .

Isn't this the program that was cancelled 1 1/2 years ago.

Hello

The cost health alternative you are going on about doe's no longer exist ( until further notice ) mine expired last year november, the hospital would not renew it, same as my friends, when their cover expired, we were told it will start again later on this year ( health care card for foreigners ) just have to wait and see

The nice thing is that even when you stop work you can continue to pay in the nominal fee and retain cover.

I'm paying taxes as a teacher the last 3 years. The first two didn't charge me. I started at 59. Now 64, still teaching. Am I paying SS? Am I eligible now while teaching? After retiring? The school stops paying at 60 so I thought I was out of luck. Otherwise, no wife, no company... Thanks for any insight. Also asking for a colleague who could really use it...

I have been in Thailand nearly 20 years and I have never heard of free government medicals for farangs and it doesn't make any difference if you are married to a thai woman or not .I don't think this man has told you the truth has he got dual nationality a thai passport would possibly get him cheaper medical care but not free.

Yes because it wasn't intended for western foreigner's in the first place it was intended for migrant labour,

I think the program is still in place but western foreigner's are not eligible for the scheme

The sad fact is too many foreigners turn up in Thailand to live full time without making provision for medical treatment in a country they are neither citizens or permanent residents of and due to their own lack of planning and they expect the Thai government to subside them for medical treatment due to the persons own irresponsible behaviour

Although I would be entitled to "free" medical by virtue if one of the passports I hold, I have always carried private medical insurance even when working in the above mentioned country,

If someone lives in a country where they are not citizens or PR and haven't considered what happens if they get really sick and haven't taken steps to mitigate this eventuality then these people are in my book complete idiots and these will be the same people who are calling Thai's stupid all the time

It should be a condition of your extension of stay or long term visa in Thailand that one has to have adequate medical insurance before being given the visa or extension

Edited by Soutpeel

Hello

The cost health alternative you are going on about doe's no longer exist ( until further notice ) mine expired last year november, the hospital would not renew it, same as my friends, when their cover expired, we were told it will start again later on this year ( health care card for foreigners ) just have to wait and see

It no longer exits for western foreigner's as it was never intended for them, it was intended for migrant labour from neighbouring countries, some hospitals signed up western foreigner's by mistake

"I've paid 1,500 baht a month but now i'm reaching 60 it's going down to 400 baht I think. The drawback is the hospital they designate may be limited in its facilities but its better than nothing."

It sounds like you're paying the employees half and also the employers half. For those not working in their own company, the fee should only be 750 a month.

The fee does not automatically go down just because you are 60. The 432B reduced fee if for those who have been in the system for 12 months, and become ineligible to remain in the system because of retirement or being in a job that isn't eligible for SS. (Employees at private schools is one example of that.)

Once you become ineligible, for whatever reason, you have to file with SS to continue paying on your own..

Once in the system you can continue on, either through employment or by paying on your ow. You cannot start in the system once you are 60.

Once a year they give you the chance to change hospitals to another that offers SS in your area. Private hospitals can join the system if they want to.

Yes because it wasn't intended for western foreigner's in the first place it was intended for migrant labour,

I think the program is still in place but western foreigner's are not eligible for the scheme

Yes absolutely correct, my wife has just rung our local government hospital and they say there is no such scheme, or any other for that matter.

....The Thai governent recently cancelled a scheme for foreigners where free care was offered, but quickly replaced it with a 'reduced cost' health alternative at government hospitals. The scheme is priced at ฿2200 per year (i.e. nothing). A mandatory health screen when enrolling costs an additional ฿600.

The above is incorrect.

There was never a scheme wherein foreigners were offered free care. A scheme for foreign migrant workers from neighboring countries (Cambodia, Myanmar etc) started about 2 years ago, and is what is described above in terms of an enrollment cost of 2,200 baht plus 600 for medical. When this scheme was initially launched the government directive was vaguely worded and did not make explicit which foreigners were eligible. As a result, many (but not all) provinces understood this to be for all foreigners and enrolled resident expats. When the MoPH became aware of this, they issued directives clarifying that it was only for migrant workers and not to be issued to resident expats.

In some provinces those expats with cards had them immediately cancelled, in others they have been honored for the year issued but not renewed.

There is not, at this time, any government scheme, free or otherwise, for health are for tourists or resident expats, though both of course can use government medical facilities on a fee basis (and costs are a fraction of that in private facilities).

Foreigners who are legally employed and pay into Social Security are covered under the SS scheme, which provides them free care at a specific hospital (which in some cases can be a private one, but is usually a govt facility). After 13 consecutive months of enrollment, it is guaranteed for life as long as payments are maintained, even if you stop working. This scheme covers only the employee, not family members. Some private employers are apparently not enrolling people in SS but rather providing them with private insurance. While this may seem better, since there is no limit to choice of hospital, it is not, since the level of coverage is almost always way too low. Under SS, there is no cap --- you cannot exhaust your eligibility, even for a single hospitalization. Whereas with private insurance you can and, if like most private company policies the maximum amount is low, you soon will. there was a case recently of a foreigner whose employer provided private insurance of up to only 350,000 baht and did not enrol him in SS. He was hit by a car walking home, suffered massive head injuries, and the insurance ran out in less than a week, leaving his family in a terrible situation trying to finance his care. I strongly advice that anyone employed and offered this sort of arrangement insist that their employer enroll them in SS. And also that people covered by SS carefully research and consider their selection of hospital -- you do have a choice in this and the quality of care in the various hospitals will differ markedly.

there is a separate SS scheme for civil servants and unlike the above, it covers all family members. So foreigners married to Thais who are government employees have cover.

Everyone else should arrange their own coverage either through private insurance or self-insurance. In the case of self-insurance, keep in mind what will happen once the amount set aside is exhausted.

A catastrophic illness or accident can easily cost from 2 to 5 million baht (depending on government vs private hospital) and that is just for that one event.

Is there any major procedure that could be done in a government hospital that could cost 2 million baht or are you talking long term palliative care? One person tells me govt hospitals are good and cheap if you will accept some inconvenience and with others it's all doom and gloom. Let's face it private health insurance here for someone over 65 here is frankly just too expensive. Does anyone have any real experience with govt hospitals and fees for major surgery? When I Google farang private health insurance I only get European companies come back and the fees are ridiculous. Surely the Thais must have more reasonable insurance available here? I mean the medical costs are so much cheaper. Someone told me some of the larger hospitals have their own insurance funds

are you satisfied with the over all service in the GVT Hospital ?

I know my Mother in law - usual waiting time to see the doctor is halv a day !!

Is there any major procedure that could be done in a government hospital that could cost 2 million baht or are you talking long term palliative care?

Neither.

I am talking about for example (and these are all actual cases I have seen):

- stroke requiring prolonged stay in Neuro ICU and several repeat neurosurgeries

- massive heart attack requiring prolonged stay in CCU, multiple stents or multiple bypass surgery, post-op complications requiring more ICU care

- motor vehicle acidents with multiple trauma, long ICU stays, multiple major surgeries

- cancer requiring chemo with expensive drug

etc etc