Job adverts for unfilled positions

Eddy B

Most schools have now been open for about 4 weeks now and I know that sometimes there is a kind of a limbo-time, where a school gets to feel out their new teachers and vise-verse. Some teachers jump ship or the school cancels their contract or fail to get documents correct for the dreaded visit to immigration. However, I have seen nothing but an increase of schools still looking for teachers even now. Why is this? Is it because they were being lazy during the school break or is it just the fact that; 1) the schools are offering bad contracts/salaries. 2) there is not enough teachers. or 3) the TCT have completely screwed up by demanding too high a standard for teachers to be able to be employed now.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Please read a just recently closed thread, where a guy decided to resign to be able to send more money back to his country and they haven't found a teacher yet, because the good ones already have a job.

Where's the new teacher?

2. The school sent all the documents to TCT, but they're not happy with a life experience degree. End of employment.

Where's the new teacher?

3. A school paid for a flight to Thailand, including some pocket money. But the "teacher" never makes it to the school. Used the money for some Pinp Pong ball shows.

Where's the new teacher?

4. It turned out that the "native English speaking teacher" makes more mistakes in spoken and written English than some of his grade five students.

Where's the new teacher?

5. ( The worst) It turned out that the "teacher" really loves his students in a way that he touched boys, or girls in a way that isn't suitable for a teacher.

Where's the new teacher?

6. The teacher was too drunk to come to work and had an accident with his motorbike and collided with another motorbike, where students from his school sat on.. Broken leg and a nice police report and the school is asking the same question.

Where's the new new teacher?

7. The agency promised to send seven NES teachers to a school, knowing that they don't have them. The school decides to look for their own staff.

Where's the new teacher?

8. The teacher only wanted to see a friend on Ko Panghan over the long weekend, but he's still hanging on LSD, doesn't come down.

Where's the new teacher?

9. A professional teacher only wanted to "make 35 K" to have money to fly to India. He/she's gone, nobody knows where to.

Where's the new teacher?

10. The new teacher got caught with a fake passport, when he/she wanted to cross the border. Free breakfast, lunch, dinner and a free room.

Where's the teacher?

11. The teacher wants to make a false insurance claim, calls the cops. They search the hotel room, find all the missing items, but also a big bag of Ganja.

Where's the new teacher?

P.S. All are real stories, not fiction. Cheers-facepalm.gif

So, Lostinissan. You give very fine examples of why the foreign teacher can often screw up and school is in problems. Because like the cartoon "Where's Wally", they have no teacher. So, from my 3 options I posted, which one do you think fits the most likely cause ( apart from newbies/drunks/meth-heads/perv's ) causes for the shortage of jobs being filled?

So, Lostinissan. You give very fine examples of why the foreign teacher can often screw up and school is in problems. Because like the cartoon "Where's Wally", they have no teacher. So, from my 3 options I posted, which one do you think fits the most likely cause ( apart from newbies/drunks/meth-heads/perv's ) causes for the shortage of jobs being filled?

There're not enough teachers, mainly because the TCT always changes the requirements.

Why would somebody who worked here for more than ten years all in a sudden be not qualified anymore to do such a job?

And the "good general" as the big boss, plus the other soldiers are making the mess even bigger.

Before the military took over, it was a sort of "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."

Now it seems to me that the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

There're not enough teachers, mainly because the TCT always changes the requirements.

Why would somebody who worked here for more than ten years all in a sudden be not qualified anymore to do such a job?

And the "good general" as the big boss, plus the other soldiers are making the mess even bigger.

Before the military took over, it was a sort of "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."

Now it seems to me that the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Just to play devil's advocate, arguing that people who have been here doing the job a long time should continue to be able to do so is fine, right up until the point that we admit education here is in shambles. Not that native teachers are to blame for this entirely, but do they not also share some of the blame? Way too many long-termers here who just like to sing and dance entertain and wear clown shoes. Certainly not saying it about anyone in particular, but seeing as how that sort of ESL teaching is common here I must assume many long-termers do it too.

I presume most of the responses above are about Farang teachers. There is no shortage of Thai teachers - quite the opposite. Colleges take the money & exploit students with no interference from Central Government regarding quotas. There is a glut of Thai teachers who are unable to get jobs unless they make under the desk payments or 'know' someone at a school.

My step-daughter has just graduated. The money I spent on her education has gone down the drain. She is looking at other jobs outside of teaching. She has been to BKK, Surin & is now looking in the Pattaya area.

3. A school paid for a flight to Thailand, including some pocket money. But the "teacher" never makes it to the school. Used the money for some Pinp Pong ball shows.

Where's the new teacher?

Poppycock.

coffee1.gif

Eddy, I noticed the same thing and glad you commented. Even in Chiang Mai; I think I could easily get a job right now, by just personally visiting two or three schools. Pay is unacceptable, but if I were guaranteed zero hassles with paperwork; I would almost consider it. I'm wondering if the crackdown on ED Visas is part of the reason. Fewer 30 and 40 somethings here prolonging their stays as much as possible. I believe a number of them were teaching candidates in the past.

Salaries are too low and and paperwork requirements are too difficult. More and more people are just going to China where they can make twice the salary and have half the paperwork headaches. In China they aren't kicking experienced workers out because they used up their licensing quota. So the low salaries are attracting fewer potential employees, and difficult work permit/visa requirements are driving existing ones away.

Salaries are too low and and paperwork requirements are too difficult. More and more people are just going to China where they can make twice the salary and have half the paperwork headaches. In China they aren't kicking experienced workers out because they used up their licensing quota. So the low salaries are attracting fewer potential employees, and difficult work permit/visa requirements are driving existing ones away.

The only problem I've got with working in China is that there're are too many Chinese people around me.

And their strange behavior is well known- even in Thailand. Working at the Burger King's and spitting on your onion rings. Not with me !!!

post-158336-0-42001900-1434292633_thumb.

...just being forced to work 3 months without a work permit is a deal breaker....

..then just add all the shenanigans and abuse...

...too many people like to play God over us...and then when we are obviously better than them...or refuse to kiss *ss...we are simply slandered...

As a ex teacher older of course. Over the past year the transit holiday teachers have been talking about what: the murders, rapes, visa issues, robberies, lower salaries as schools go private, increase cost of living in Thailand, political unrest and the list goes on. Don't expect a lot of NES coming here, safer countries to go too.

Want a teachers job, work in the South and hope you don't get shot or blown-up. Go diving and get ran over by the dive boat. Take a bus and crash because the brakes fail at 160km an hour, take your pick. Go bungee jumping and smash into the ground. Get beat up on walking street by ladyboys.

"1) the schools are offering bad contracts/salaries. 2) there is not enough teachers. or 3) the TCT have completely screwed up by demanding too high a standard for teachers to be able to be employed now."

All of the above.

Exactly. I've taught here for 8 years. Modesty aside. I'm a damn fine teacher. But I don't have an Ed Degree. I have a Science Degree. The TCT wants me out. End of this term I MUST leave. I'll be going to China.

I could spend lots of time and money getting an Ed degree or a PGCE...but for Thailand's wages and chronic hoop jumping...it's just not worth it.

Presently, my school is still short of 4 teachers. At least the extra money I'm making by covering classes with no teacher will help me reestablish myself in China.

No other country in the region demands an Ed degree. South Korea...no problem, Japan...no problem, Taiwan...no problem...

Thailand/TCT ... PROBLEM

I'm afraid I know what the TCT is doing with it's right hand.

Is there a way a way to know how many nationwide vacancies there are? A statistic comparing this time last year to now.... or is it just from looking at job boards? Or talking with friends struggling to fill vacancies? Is it just english teachers or does it cover other subjects taught in english? sorry for so many questions.

Mikebell... She should persevere.. There are about 200,000 teachers retiring in the next two years!!!

But unsurprisingly the schools are not preparing for this!

What's your source of reference for that number? TELL me it's not "The Nation!!!"

"1) the schools are offering bad contracts/salaries. 2) there is not enough teachers. or 3) the TCT have completely screwed up by demanding too high a standard for teachers to be able to be employed now."

All of the above.

I agree with Duane, But I think the main one is expecting teachers with master's degrees rather than TEFAL ers, Who have at least studied the appropriate subject, to work for 30000 Baht/month ish teaching Children in a broken education system that mostly aren't interested in the slightest in learning English when you can get 3x plus the wages & be teaching kids that want to learn in a different country... If you had that masters degree would you really want to teach here???

All of the above.

I agree with Duane, But I think the main one is expecting teachers with master's degrees rather than TEFAL ers, Who have at least studied the appropriate subject, to work for 30000 Baht/month ish teaching Children in a broken education system that mostly aren't interested in the slightest in learning English when you can get 3x plus the wages & be teaching kids that want to learn in a different country... If you had that masters degree would you really want to teach here???

No

All of the above.

Exactly. That's point number 4. It seems we have 4 years of teaching certificate waivers then we're out. There used to be a system for us (without B.Ed.) to get a license, but no longer. There was: however, a fellow teacher of mine, at the end of waivers, who was given a third waiver after appealing to the TCT.

This teacher shortage and the knowledge that it will be worse as time goes by is common knowledge on other Thailand/Teaching forums, blogs and newspapers. The question is ..."Is the Thai Government aware of it?"

Get your act together Thailand ... The TCT is forcing teachers out in droves.

My ticket out is booked and paid for already .. Sept 2nd Bye Thailand.

All of the above.

Exactly. That's point number 4. It seems we have 4 years of teaching certificate waivers then we're out. There used to be a system for us (without B.Ed.) to get a license, but no longer. There was: however, a fellow teacher of mine, at the end of waivers, who was given a third waiver after appealing to the TCT.

They're getting rid of teacher's with 4 years experience and obvious commitment... and replacing them with inexperienced backpackers with no commitment. Thai logic at it's finest. It's embarrassing Thailand. It really is.

Might have something to do with the ridiculously small amount of money they want to pay. How can anyone live in a major city in Thailand on 30,000 baht, especially someone who invested 4-5 years and thousands of dollars to get a degree? Except for a working holiday for a youngster, who wants to accept that.

All of the above.

They're getting rid of teacher's with 4 years experience and obvious commitment... and replacing them with inexperienced backpackers with no commitment. Thai logic at it's finest. It's embarrassing Thailand. It really is.

Yep, you're right. But on the other hand, schools "use" more and more agencies and pay in the end more. Does that make any sense?

Or is it really just plain stupidity that the superiors at schools believe any fancy brochures, offering "experienced NES teachers" from Istanbul?

Not sure yet, if I use my guitar, or do something that my leg looks really huge................ facepalm.gif

Archived