Defiant Thai lottery vendor fined 10,000 baht for overpricing

webfact

Defiant lottery vendor fined 10,000 baht for overpricing

11-6-2558-11-09-34-wpcf_728x407.jpg

LOEI: -- A lottery vendor in Wang Saphung district of Loei province was yesterday caught red-handed when she sold two lottery tickets to an under-covered policeman at 90 baht each.

Wang Saphung police chief Pol Col Sujin Navaruen said the vendor, Mrs Meron Uttaboon, a Loei resident, was fined at maximum of 10,000 baht for defiance of the government’s order.

He said the maximum fine was imposed so as to serve as a reminder for all vendors not to sell lottery ticket higher than the controlled price at 80 baht, otherwise they will face the highest penalty imposed by the law.

The arrest of this vendor came after the people alerted the police that a vendor in front of KBank Wang Saphung branch bank sold lottery tickets to them at 90 baht.

Under-covered police officer was sent in to observe and impersonate as a customer to buy two tickets from her.

She charged 90 baht each for two tickets. After paying her, the officer declared himself and arrested her.

The Wang Saphung police said that violator will be fined at maximum rate with no exemption or reprieve for overpricing.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/defiant-lottery-vendor-fined-10000-baht-for-overpricing

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-11

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She tried to make a 20 baht profit and are fined 10.000 baht...........

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore!!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

Great they really take things seriously now...... was in town yesterday and virtually all lottery vendors had huge signs at their stalls, saying " 80 Baht ".

To all the whiners: If you want that things change in this country, you have to start enforcing rules. This applies both to small and big businesses

This woman should learn from the vendor yesterday who was selling his tickets at 74 (or somesuch) baht each. Apparantly he sold out very quickly.

Plus I think it would be a very good move if the numbers on the lottery tickets were not revealed until AFTER you bought the ticket. It would put an end to all this lucky numbers BS.

Edited by WhizBang

To be honest it appears quite harsh to fine her 10,000 baht when Taxi drivers are still refusing to take passengers and they only get a 1,000 baht fine.

Good that rules are being enforced, but make it comparative to the crime.

They should have given her 9,500 back ....

<deleted>.

20 fines of 500b would be much more effective at getting the vendors to stop. But then, one big whopping fine that is out of all proportion gets in the news and shows how serious you are. rolleyes.gif

coffee1.gif

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.

The dictator Sarit Thanarat (1957-1963) ordered vendors to sell a cup of ice coffee for 50 instead of the previous 70 satang. The vendors retaliated by using smaller cups and more ice. Then they promoted the old cup of 70 satang by calling it 'super ice coffee'.

Edited by kareona

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.

..................."The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.".........................

Stupid comment. Piss poor effort at Thai bashing, very amateurish.

Got news for you pal, foreigners, like me, buy lottery tickets. And I am sure I am not the only one. And it may shock and surprise you but Thai people use taxis too and they do get over charged as well. My wife and her friends complain about it all the time.

Typical from this regime... Go after the poor little person selling lottery tickets while the elite get away with murder.

Yes your right peptidebomber--- Its just Typical of this regime.....there was no corruption before, no one was getting ripped off, & all the poor little people were all on a high-----while the elite in those days---why they had it really really tough..............oh for those old days back huh..............coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711

I'm used to two different things than I see in Thailand lottery. I'm used to seeing the tickets sold by existing merchants such as convenience stores, taverns and even some grocery stores. The merchants make a little extra on something they have no investment in, and it draws in some customers who initially want a lottery ticket. They don't pay for the tickets until after they are sold and can return unsold tickets.

I'm used to seeing tickets that have a surface which must be scratched off by the buyer after purchase before the numbers can be seen. There's no choosing numbers.

post-164212-0-95653000-1434003189_thumb.

She tried to make a 20 baht profit and are fined 10.000 baht...........

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore!!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

One of these times I am 100% agreement with you. Far to much punishment for such a crime.

this is great. about time they actually gave people decent sized fines so that it will scare others off from doing it, now lets see it done for all the other bigger cases, the only thing that will effect the way a lot think is financial punishment that really does cause grief to the offender. The reason thais dont stop doing illegal things is partly due to the pathetic fines, this may be a bit over the top but it will serve as a warning to others not to charge more than 80 baht. Big fines will make them think twice, need to be a lot more of them for all offences.

Edited by seajae

That's not really ironic. Unless you're Alanis Morrisette.

..................."The lottery vendor is ripping off Thais.....the others are ripping off tourists.".........................

Stupid comment. Piss poor effort at Thai bashing, very amateurish.

Got news for you pal, foreigners, like me, buy lottery tickets. And I am sure I am not the only one. And it may shock and surprise you but Thai people use taxis too and they do get over charged as well. My wife and her friends complain about it all the time.

Hey, MacK, you buy lottery tickets and I'm the stupid one?

Ha ha. Funny thing, MacK, but the more you post, the sillier you make yourself look.

Yes the vendor should be fined for overcharging, but 10.000 THB is way over the top. A fine of 200-500 THB would be much more in line with the crime.

But I guess overcharging lottery tickets is a much more serious crime, than say killing a person in traffic (some recent tragic bicycle events come to mind)?