Is there a difference between a Retirement Visa issued at Home Country vs in Thailand?

dear members,

Thank you foer your clear reply about the diffence between a O visa on retirement and a extension of stay on retirement.

May i use this topic for a related question?

I do have, as written before, a o visa year, retirement. That will expire august 5th trhis year. I want a new possibility for staying in Thailand but are hesitating between two possibilities.

The first one is applying for a extension for one year. Have to do that in Chiang Mai where i live.

The second option is again applying in my homecountry at the embassy for a one year visa on retirement.

The reason why i hesitate is the following.

Applying for a retirementvisa is quite simple. Paperwork, sending to the embassy and get it back by post within two weeks.

Applying for a extension of stay is much more work. Going to the bank. Making copies of all pages of passport and bankbook, going to immigratiuoin etc.

I am supprised but there is almost no pricedifference between both applications so iget the feeling that applying for an new visa at my embassy is the first choice. Same price , less paperwork, no need to travel.

Coulkd you please advise me why i should choose one or the other way. Advantages between both "visa's " ?

I did not forget that at the same time i will have to apply for multiple reentry permits. But again: almost same price.

thank you