Is there a difference between a Retirement Visa issued at Home Country vs in Thailand?

I was initially issued a non-immigrant type O in my country (USA), and then towards the expiration of the type O, applied for and received a Non-Immigrant Retirement visa in Hua Hin with Multiple Entries (I don't see any reference to O-A on my re-issued visa, it just has a stamp "NON-IMM - Retirement", which I presume and hope are the same). I received my new retirement visa on July 7, 2014 with the stamp of "Length of Stay Until Aug 5, 2015". I departed Thailand back to the US several days later and re-entered Thailand on September 30, 2014, but the re-entry stamp says "Admitted until 05 AUG 2015", which is the original expiration date. Shouldn't I have received a one year extension and had my expiration changed to September 29, 2015? If I do a border run and return before August 5, 2015, will I receive a 1 year extension? Is there a difference between a retirement visa issued in your host country vs one issued by the immigration dept in Thailand? especially in terms of being able to get these 1-year extensions through border runs?

Thank you for your prompt response. But I am somewhat baffled by it, as I assumed that I did receive a Visa type O-A. Are you saying then that my Non Immigrant Retirement Visa is not a type O-A Retirement Visa even though I did have submit the required financial data to qualify for it? If that's so, I presume that you can not get a visa type O-A in Thailand. In essence the payment for the multiple re-entry was a waste in my case, a single entry would have sufficed. If that is so and I can not get a type O-A in Thailand, my only option is to get another year of stay through the immigration by re-applying for the same "Non Immigrant Retirement Visa", which is essentially a 1 year extension that eliminates the need to do border runs every 90 days - is that correct?

Did you read the forms you used to apply for this extension? They clearly say extension of stay. But there are extension of stay financials which in most cases are the same as for the visa plus pre-approved extension of stay (O-A visa) where "O" is the visa and "A" is pre approved one year extension.

No you can not obtain an O-A visa in Thailand.

Yes - but you apply for a one year extension of stay using TM.7 form the same as you did this year. Cost is 1,900 baht and will require bank account in Thailand or 800k for last 3 months, or embassy letter of income of 65k per month (or more), or a combination to meet the 800k requirement total.

• Like 1

If you hadn't paid the 3800 THB, you would have to pay 1000 thb for each single re-entry permit. For many, who only leave once or twice per year, that is a cheaper option.

On your first visa, which is multiple entry, you want to depart and come back in as close to the expiration as possible, and THEN you get a fresh new year. That is how many get almost two years out of the visas from their home countries. But remember, there is a difference in the expiration of the visa, and your "admitted until:" stamp.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for clarifying this important distinction between a retirement visa issued at the host country vs it being issued at the immigration dept. It's amazing but when I tried to apply for a type O-A in NY, I supplied all the required documents and they told me that all I can get in NY is a type O, and the type O-A retirement visa can only be issued at the immigration dept in Thailand. That's what lead to my confusion and assumption that my Retirement Visa granted by the immigration dept was essentially the same as a Type O-A. Anyway, after almost 2 years of being here and reading a ton of posts, I finally know the facts as they are. Thanks again.

Immigration did not give you a Retirement Visa.

They gave you a 12 Month Extension of your Temporary Permission to stay in the Kingdom.

Do the same every year. smile.png

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or
(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

• Like 1

So does NYC Consulate still offer O-A visas or not?

I reckon they do and there was some kind of communication problem here in the way the question was asked by the OP.

http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/visa/o-a-visas/

In any case, the OP could have applied for an O-A visa from the Thai embassy in Washington.

• Like 1

mine says O-A from DC.....things change like the wind, though.

That is because you have a O-A Visa.

yes, but the OP says he couldn't get an OA in NY, but I got an O-A in DC....based on over age 50 in both cases it appears.

Apparently, my case is definitely an anomaly, and does not reflect the normal policy. The clerk who handled my visa was very young and apparently did not know what he was doing, but he successfully mislead me into believing that I had a retirement visa that did not require border runs every 90 days (he specifically stated it). In fact, upon my first 90-day reporting (which I did on the 90th day), I was told that I had to leave the country, which I was compelled to do, and off-course was fined on my return for supposedly being late. Anyway, its water under the bridge and I can't do anything about it now. I wonder how many other people that clerk mislead before he learned the correct procedures ... maybe he was on temporary assignment.

Edited by mzep

if you are 50+, and showed the money; you got screwed. I've seen them refuse to issue 60 day tourist visas without return ticket in DC. It's kind of like how they make up the rules as they go along at the banks. "Tax number is for Thai people." I had one the next day....

• Like 1

Staff at Thai embassies and consulates abroad are NOT the place to seek advice on how things work with visas and extensions IN Thailand.

Many have made that mistake before. It's not their business. Their business is only what they do outside of Thailand in their offices.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Apparently, my case is definitely an anomaly, and does not reflect the normal policy. The clerk who handled my visa was very young and apparently did not know what he was doing, but he successfully mislead me into believing that I had a retirement visa that did not require border runs every 90 days (he specifically stated it). In fact, upon my first 90-day reporting (which I did on the 90th day), I was told that I had to leave the country, which I was compelled to do, and off-course was fined on my return for supposedly being late. Anyway, its water under the bridge and I can't do anything about it now. I wonder how many other people that clerk mislead before he learned the correct procedures ... maybe he was on temporary assignment.

Questions for the experts on TV....I did my OA visa in Montreal in october 2013 come to Thailnad beginning november 2013............make the 90 days report every time till i go back Canada in may 2014

I go back to Thailand october 2014..10 days before my visa ends.........and the immigration officer give me till october this year ??? I did my 90 days report every times am i lucky or there something wrong in my case?

• Like 1

Questions for the experts on TV....I did my OA visa in Montreal in october 2013 come to Thailnad beginning november 2013............make the 90 days report every time till i go back Canada in may 2014

I go back to Thailand october 2014..10 days before my visa ends.........and the immigration officer give me till october this year ??? I did my 90 days report every times am i lucky or there something wrong in my case?

That is how it works - but if you traveled after October 2014 you would have had to have a re-entry permit to return to Thailand until the October 2015 date obtained on your last entry - but no travel you are good until that date.

Thank you guys for clarifying this important distinction between a retirement visa issued at the host country vs it being issued at the immigration dept. It's amazing but when I tried to apply for a type O-A in NY, I supplied all the required documents and they told me that all I can get in NY is a type O, and the type O-A retirement visa can only be issued at the immigration dept in Thailand. That's what lead to my confusion and assumption that my Retirement Visa granted by the immigration dept was essentially the same as a Type O-A. Anyway, after almost 2 years of being here and reading a ton of posts, I finally know the facts as they are. Thanks again.

I have gotten 3 O-A visas from the Thai Consulate in New York (and 2 from the Embassy in Washington D.C.) without a problem, but then again I read the instructions and filled out the forms and correctly check the box that says, Non-Immigrant Visa and the Additional form that states "O-A" Visa , no clerks involved

post-10942-0-44983600-1434224362_thumb.p

• Like 2

O-A long stay one year visa multi entry provides a new one year permitted to stay on each entry - so a new entry just before it expires allows stay for another year.

An extension of stay with multi re-entry only allows stay until that extension expiration date on any entry.

O-A long stay one year visa multi entry provides a new one year permitted to stay on each entry - so a new entry just before it expires allows stay for another year.

An extension of stay with multi re-entry only allows stay until that extension expiration date on any entry.

But what if you leave frequently?

But what if you leave frequently?

it dose not matter if you leave every month, once, twice and etc during the the year the OA visa or an extension of stay is valid,

If only once or twice then a single re-entry permit is enough.if on an extension or to keep the last entry rom the OA visa valid.

Excellent summary and clarifications of this issue, and hopefully others will gain the clarity I did from everyone's helpful contribution ... I think that now I may be qualified to become a consultant on the requirements for receiving Visas and Extensions and their differences ... hahaha (only joking off course).