Brother of PM one of two in line to be next Thai Army chief

webfact

That is a lot of Generals.

Seems that Prayuts younger brother has risen through the ranks and gained valuable experience and credentials on the way to the top. He is a veteran soldier that has studied at military school and can certainly bring a wealth of military experience and background to which ever role he is chosen for. Of course being a brother helps, but he is not green as grass and filling a role he has no idea on.

Good to see that Prayut does not follow in thaksins nepotistic footsteps by bringing in completely unqualified and inexperienced relatives for positions that are so obviously out of their depth, but were filled by these relatives simply to fulfil the needs of a criminal at the behest of the majority. Don't need to go past yingluck to see a person fill a position that has no experience or background in politics. Zero experience and it showed. Surapong who filled the defence ministers role, but was clueless in what it entailed. Zero experience and it showed.

If Prayuts younger brother was not a veteran military staff member and then brought in as a General it would get the same response from me that the above people did. If yingluck and surapong were veteran politicans and filled the role while bringing something to it that embedded confidence then they would get the same response from me that Prayut's brother is getting.

It is not the person, it is what they bring to the role.

Let's not forget that its was General Prayut as Chief of the NCPO that appointed General Preecha to the NLA where he draws a second government salary. It does pay to be family!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's younger brother General Preecha, ... looks set to succeed General Udomdej Sitabutr as Army chief ...'

It would behove the PM to remember that Thaksin indulged in a little too much nepotism ... and look what happened.

I'm guessing he either feels secure enough not to give a crap about how bad it looks or is so afraid of the dogs snapping at his heels that he has to resort to desperate measures. Time will tell...

I'm guessing that Gen. Preecha Chan-O is in line for possible promotion due to capabilities, time in rank.

Come one...which country put the top military for capabilities...it is a political job, in USA, Germany or UK. Everyone want to put someone who says only Yes and not some capable difficult person with honor. How many coups would we have with capable honest top generals who refuse to murder people if their own country isn't in danger.

I know English isn't your natural language but what on earth are you babbling on about?

Your last sentence makes no sense, you seem to forget coups in most countries are crimes against them, such as treason, and it was a crime under the Thai Law too.. the biggest problem Thailand has is a military with way too much power, and are above the laws, and always will be, until they are knocked off that pedestal.

For example the US military should have refused to start the Iraq war and torture people, if they would have taken their duty serious. Per definition it isn't a crime to prevent murder. If some law made by corrupt politician says so than the law is wrong not the person.

Lives are more important than some orders or some megalomania of a politician.....A top military should understand that.

If you learned a bit history than you would know that only unsuccessful coups are crimes and treason. Successful aren't, because they make themself the lawful government.

No they give themselves amnesties and are you seriously trying to say that the Junta are the lawful government?

As for the pet about the U.S. Army, you are so far off the track that you're lost!! Who do you think was pushing for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Do you understand that wars are very good business for the militaries as it increases their budgets?

I don't think you know much about the backgrounds of the Joint Chiefs of staff or the majority of senior U.S. officer Cadre, they are pretty much all combat veterans so they know exactly what's at stake, and what's a rightful and just course of action. They also take their orders from their Commander in Chief, who happens to be the President of the United States, and I'm pretty sure any General who didn't favour military action, would simply be replaced by one who will.

The senior generals are very much politically orientated as well, but many also have a belief as well they are serving God, as well as their country.

If you're going to use the U.S. Military as an example you really should know more about how their think tank works and that they're in these positions because their President knows that should he order them into conflict, they will do so without hesitating.

As I said, most are combat veterans some of numerous wars and conflicts.

Besides you simply cannot compare taking a country to war with another country with overthrowing a government within your own country apples and oranges really.

Edited by Fat Haggis

Extremely worrying, the consolidation of non-democratic power of a group within a group. The current situation is dangerous enough, but what happens under the next guy, when there are no checks and balances? Lenin meant well, but then came Stalin.

446 retiring generals is a great opportunity to correct the top-heaviness of the Thai armed forces. I doubt that will happen.

Spot on.

They could reduce the amount significantly through natural retirements in a couple of years.

But these extra 'positions" are to keep various families happy. No more no less. Same with the police and the civil service.

And there's me thinking that it was simply a reward for merit!

Let's not forget that its was General Prayut as Chief of the NCPO that appointed General Preecha to the NLA where he draws a second government salary. It does pay to be family!

I know this is a silly thing to ask, you never answer questions anyway, but do you ave proof that he draws an extra salary?

While we are there, do you know if Yingluk was paid extra to be MoD, and chair of the Rice Policy Committee? I'd not only question whether such payments were ethical, or value for money, IMHO her PM's salary was claimed under false pretences.

Edited by halloween

During the Vietnam / American war, correspondents working out of Laos jokingly called Laos .. " Land of a Thousand Irrelevants" (it was historically called the land of a million elephants) and now I think about our dear generals here. I am not a mathematician but a quick Google revealed these interesting facts.

China has around 1,300,000,000 people and about 200 generals or a general for every 6,500,000 people

America has about 300,000,000 people and 1000 generals or one for every 300,000 people

Thailand has roughly 70,000,000 people and around 1,600 generals (not counting all the retired ones) with one general for every 43,750 people.

Hmmmm...methinks we are a tad top heavy here... The Economist had an interesting vblog on this matter and the power of the army as a political force... worth a www search.

just my 2 cents worth

It doesn't matter who is head of the army as, 1). There are no enemies to be fought, 2). There are no Eisenhowers, Pattons, Monties

in all of Thailand with any, ( none ), proven battle experience, 3). The present 1,600 Generals, wearing uniforms bearing 8 pounds of unearned campaign hardware, will confuse the new leader just to learn their names and, 4). The new submarines will keep imagined invaders from Thai shores when not aground.

While the Thai defence forces are undoubtedly top heavy, your points also indicate that they are successful. There are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent, without them that situation could change rapidly.

They also have managed to avoid any major battles, which some us can see as much more successful than a military careering around the world, invading other countries and getting involved in any dispute available, usually changing it from petty to major, and creating more enemies than friends in doing so. It also has the benefit of returning nearly all enlistees alive, and equipped with skills they have learned while not killing people.

I wonder exactly what you know about the Thai Armed Forces? They are 'successful' because there are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent.

I suppose you mean a Navy with no submarines and an aircraft carrier with no aircraft?. Or could it be an Army that isn't capable of detecting numerous camps of Rohingya refugees on it's border and can't control it's stock of M16 rifles? If not, then it must be the Airforce that stands alone to defend the Kingdom?. Having so many Generals doesn't place the country in a position of strength, it just means that money is spent on 'non-active' personnel to the detriment of badly needed 'front-line' resources.

Have you ever wondered what might happen if Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Myanmar invaded Thailand? Despite what you may think about the US opinion of the Junta, any pre-emptive moves by neighbouring countries would result in a quick response by US Armed Forces, since Uncle Sam still regards Thailand as a very useful friend to have in SE Asia. It could be that Thailand's neighbours might be wary of getting a bloody nose from the US, and are thus 'deterred'..

Finally, why not compare the number of Thai Armed Forces personnel with the UK's, and then tell me which country you would bet on in a direct conflict of arms. It's a 'no-brainer', isn't it?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-reform-is-essential-and-overdue-30190682.html

take a look at the date of this article, and all you reformists can take a crack at what I have been saying all along, was the same thing this article was stating !! ;)

You are wasting your time, Haggis. They will just play the 'I am interested in today, not the past', card.

He may be a legitimate candidate based on merit. Even if that is the case, the perception of nepotism is the problem and it would set back Prayut's agenda and seriously damage his credibility were the appointment to be made. Surely even the most servile of minders would have to point that out to him.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-reform-is-essential-and-overdue-30190682.html

take a look at the date of this article, and all you reformists can take a crack at what I have been saying all along, was the same thing this article was stating !! wink.png

Really good article and proves Thailand is doomed to keep on making the same mistakes time after time just so the 'good' people can keep a stranglehold on their poorer citizens, I can understand the Thai elite to an extent as it is all they know and they believe it is their right, the western pro junta supporters are something else though as they have usually had all the advantages that come with being born in a democracy yet don't believe the Thai people they profess to support should have that right, stinks of hypocrisy to me....

Edited by mark131v

That is a lot of Generals.

Seems that Prayuts younger brother has risen through the ranks and gained valuable experience and credentials on the way to the top. He is a veteran soldier that has studied at military school and can certainly bring a wealth of military experience and background to which ever role he is chosen for. Of course being a brother helps, but he is not green as grass and filling a role he has no idea on.

Good to see that Prayut does not follow in thaksins nepotistic footsteps by bringing in completely unqualified and inexperienced relatives for positions that are so obviously out of their depth, but were filled by these relatives simply to fulfil the needs of a criminal at the behest of the majority. Don't need to go past yingluck to see a person fill a position that has no experience or background in politics. Zero experience and it showed. Surapong who filled the defence ministers role, but was clueless in what it entailed. Zero experience and it showed.

If Prayuts younger brother was not a veteran military staff member and then brought in as a General it would get the same response from me that the above people did. If yingluck and surapong were veteran politicans and filled the role while bringing something to it that embedded confidence then they would get the same response from me that Prayut's brother is getting.

It is not the person, it is what they bring to the role.

"a wealth of military experience" Where? How? When? Or are you just writing rubbish?

It doesn't matter who is head of the army as, 1). There are no enemies to be fought, 2). There are no Eisenhowers, Pattons, Monties

in all of Thailand with any, ( none ), proven battle experience, 3). The present 1,600 Generals, wearing uniforms bearing 8 pounds of unearned campaign hardware, will confuse the new leader just to learn their names and, 4). The new submarines will keep imagined invaders from Thai shores when not aground.

John Cole and Steve Sciacchitano a while back had some good numbers on the Thai generals population. Do you or anyone else have the number of generals and, for extra credit, the ratio of Thai generals to Thai tanks? Thanks

While the Thai defence forces are undoubtedly top heavy, your points also indicate that they are successful. There are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent, without them that situation could change rapidly.

They also have managed to avoid any major battles, which some us can see as much more successful than a military careering around the world, invading other countries and getting involved in any dispute available, usually changing it from petty to major, and creating more enemies than friends in doing so. It also has the benefit of returning nearly all enlistees alive, and equipped with skills they have learned while not killing people.

"There are no enemies to be fought". Then why have an army?

Easy to answer, because the Boy Scouts are not very good at staging coups :D

446 retiring generals is a great opportunity to correct the top-heaviness of the Thai armed forces. I doubt that will happen.

Spot on.

They could reduce the amount significantly through natural retirements in a couple of years.

But these extra 'positions" are to keep various families happy. No more no less. Same with the police and the civil service.

And there's me thinking that it was simply a reward for merit!

You must be a bit slow. The rest of us knew it was nepotism. clap2.gif

take a look at the date of this article, and all you reformists can take a crack at what I have been saying all along, was the same thing this article was stating !! wink.png

I can accept that Thaksin is a snake. But I am sick to death of people treating the army as some sort of moral saviors. They are just as dirty.

If I wrote a meaningful reply, would you read the whole sentence? Rhetorical question only.